UConn/ACC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I Agree 1000% with your frustration. Aside from being a GREAT school, AAU, etc etc, We all know why Rutgers was added. It wasn't for athletic prowess.

I will welcome them as they are now our Conference brothers, and we are truly "all for one, one for all" in the B1G, but...it ain't gonna be easy.

Actually, it will be very easy for the majority of B1G teams. In most sports, all you have to do is just show up. :)

pj

Reaction Score
If forced, I'd say Jim Delany's current top picks for next round expansion schools probably looks something like this;

#1. UVA & UNC
#2. Nobody

Maybe so. I think that leaves a big chunk of the northeast off the table, but I can see the logic of waiting for the time being. Who knows how things will shake out in 10 years.

If that's the scenario, and the ACC also is standing pat, then I think UConn needs to arrange to own its home media rights and create a Husky Network for UConn sports, marketing the games to networks nationally. UConn's media value is so far ahead of most other AAC schools that an equal sharing of conference media revenue is going to be a big financial loser.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Maybe so. I think that leaves a big chunk of the northeast off the table, but I can see the logic of waiting for the time being. Who knows how things will shake out in 10 years.

If that's the scenario, and the ACC also is standing pat, then I think UConn needs to arrange to own its home media rights and create a Husky Network for UConn sports, marketing the games to networks nationally. UConn's media value is so far ahead of most other AAC schools that an equal sharing of conference media revenue is going to be a big financial loser.

Completely agree. Although I do not agree that UCONN will be stuck in AAC purgatory for 10 years, I do think that the time has come for UCONN to look into its own type of content rights package for games. UCONN has a P5 budget and needs to figure out a way to continue to raise P5 revenue. Media rights is a good place to start.

Reaction Score
The B1G didn't miss their chance on Mizzou, the Big Ten completely PASSED. Mizzou went full ret#*d, with everyone that had any link to the University whatsoever spouting from the mountain top their desire to go B1G, and we chose NEB instead. The SEC got our sloppy seconds, that's a 1000% fact.

I'd still bet good money Mizzou would jump from the SEC if given the opportunity. Just look at the schools they consider "peers". 14/14 B1G, 2/14 SEC.

With all the success the BTN has had getting picked up in NYC, MD, NJ, DC, etc etc, it does change my opinion RE UCONN > B1G. It may be much longer than I previous thought, if ever. I just don't know.

If forced, I'd say Jim Delany's current top picks for next round expansion schools probably looks something like this;

#1. UVA & UNC
#2. Nobody

We all cannot exclude the possibility that the SEC and the Big Ten feel that 14 is big enough for a long time, and that they already have plenty of money and influence. We all have-or will have-chances for promotion, but in many cases, after considering the pros and cons, it "is not worth it." While I think that the SEC and the Big Ten will go to 16, I do think that they will do so lightly. We hear much that the GORs are not water tight and are breakable. This may be. But when you have exit fees and GORS and reluctant potential candidates (Such as UVA and particularly UNC), there are quite a few filters to pass through. The problem is not with UConn. The problem is the reluctance of the rest of the field of candidates that the Big Ten and the SEC would potentially want. It is no longer a "buyer's (the conferences) market."

Reaction Score
I Agree 1000% with your frustration. Aside from being a GREAT school, AAU, etc etc, We all know why Rutgers was added. It wasn't for athletic prowess.

I will welcome them as they are now our Conference brothers, and we are truly "all for one, one for all" in the B1G, but...it ain't gonna be easy.
This is one of my favorite BY posters too(Dooley) but they strike at everything BUT the fact that w/o RU their not even a possibility/consideration!! RU being connected put them in the conversation as unlikely as it seemed as recently as 2 yrs ago!! I stress over and over while pushing for them but i guess i relate!! RU STRIVED for the B1G for yrs and put in the work...we never trusted or cared ACC but UConn admins relaxed and banked on the wrong conference,...so rag on RU!! Who said RU was taken for championships anyway? Everythings about relationships. You don't build them by ragging on a CR winner whose vote and influence may be needed someday...EVERYONE KNEW RU was eventually going B1G...no secret here in NYC metro!! We won our bet but blame everyone else for you're losing ticket!I'll usually take it quietly understanding their feelings but a L'ville poster just today emphasized this blame ND, BC,Cuse,L'ville etc etc and now brother public and ally IMO and even people that want to help them and I loved the unabashed support by a brother school...no one can do it alone in CR but Tex or a ND maybe!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the end of the day 14 teams still stinks from a scheduling perspective. IMO UCONN will relocate somewhere by 2017. If not to the B1G, then either to the ACC or Big 12 in that order. IMO The B1G will want to get it done before they sign their next deal.
Personally thats also my opinion and many others here on the BY...in time for TV contracts I'd guess!?!

Reaction Score
If you think it's going to be a long time, if ever, before UCONN gets into the B1G, just wait for Rutgers to contribute something to the B1G trophy case other than cable boxes. 100+ years of being the Chicago Cubs of collegiate sports.
Check out RU's major sports records in the 70s/early80s...100 yrs? Really Dooley!! B1G winners in all revenue sports...

Reaction Score
If you think it's going to be a long time, if ever, before UCONN gets into the B1G, just wait for Rutgers to contribute something to the B1G trophy case other than cable boxes. 100+ years of being the Chicago Cubs of collegiate sports.

If I had to guess, RU -> B1G displeases you more than Louisville -> ACC.

Reaction Score
Actually, no. Any school other than UCONN --> P5 conference displeases me!
You know I like and understand you're feelings...and its not just you but ImaBelievers post set me off !! After all Dooley in the end were all simply fans!! You know Im a believer in you guys but still just a fan lol.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, RU -> B1G displeases you more than Louisville -> ACC.
Why would it? We didnt take anyones spot? Compare a backwater type school to the #1 media market and longtime candidate to johnnycomelately Metro? Heck the ACC knew before SU/Pitt where RU was going! Why do you think they left for the ACC? Honestly I respect how far the "ville" came in a short timeframe in perception but agitaters like some of these ACC posters are why no one cares for that secondary conference with in the SEC's footprint!

Dooley

Reaction Score
You know I like and understand you're feelings...and its not just you but ImaBelievers post set me off !! After all Dooley in the end were all simply fans!! You know Im a believer in you guys but still just a fan lol.

Sorry Nicky, I was feeling punchy from the exchange with ImABeliever. In all honesty, I do think Rutgers had to be added first before UCONN to lockdown NYC. Rutgers brought more cable boxes and is already AAU. Plus better NJ recruiting grounds for football. I don't think a NYC lockdown is complete without UCONN though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry Nicky, I was feeling punchy from the exchange with ImABeliever. In all honesty, I do think Rutgers had to be added first before UCONN to lockdown NYC. Rutgers brought more cable boxes and is already AAU. Plus better NJ recruiting grounds for football. I don't think a NYC lockdown is complete with UCONN though.
You know Im with you guys there!! I'm just trying to "keep it real" lol...like I said I completely understand the frustration and usually hold my tongue but like you was incited by "Imabeliever" posts fresh in my mind.

Reaction Score
Why would it? We didnt take anyones spot? Compare a backwater type school to the #1 media market and longtime candidate to johnnycomelately Metro? Heck the ACC knew before SU/Pitt where RU was going! Why do you think they left for the ACC? Honestly I respect how far the "ville" came in a short timeframe in perception but agitaters like some of these ACC posters are why no one cares for that secondary conference with in the SEC's footprint!

I actually agree that RU wasn't going to the ACC. It was either the B1G or stay in the American. The real question was who would accompany them. They found their golden ticket through the Terps deciding that associating with midwestern schools was the better deal. I would have thought Mizzou and Rutgers would have been a better deal for the B1G but that's an outsider's view. UL or WVU, UConn and UMD should have solidfied the ACC but for the small-minded folks running some institutions.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I actually agree that RU wasn't going to the ACC. It was either the B1G or stay in the American. The real question was who would accompany them. They found their golden ticket through the Terps deciding that associating with midwestern schools was the better deal. I would have thought Mizzou and Rutgers would have been a better deal for the B1G but that's an outsider's view. UL or WVU, UConn and UMD should have solidfied the ACC but for the small-minded folks running some institutions.

In all honesty, I don't see a problem with the ACC adding UCONN right now. They have ND as a partial 15th member already. They can supplement football schedules between the two. If that's an issue, they could add UCONN and Cincinnati or UCF. Football schools would be happy with OH recruiting and Cincinnati (or more FL recruiting and UCF); hoops schools (other than Cuse) would be happy with UCONN.

pj

Reaction Score
In all honesty, I don't see a problem with the ACC adding UCONN right now. They have ND as a partial 15th member already. They can supplement football schedules between the two. If that's an issue, they could add UCONN and Cincinnati or UCF. Football schools would be happy with OH recruiting and Cincinnati (or more FL recruiting and UCF); hoops schools (other than Cuse) would be happy with UCONN.

Their problem would be that ESPN has no incentive to up the conference payout for the add, as they already own UConn's rights for a song ... so the ACC could lose per-school revenue. Also, there is still the residual politics (footballs schools wary of giving up voting power to basketball schools, turf wars in the northeast).

In principle I agree, it should be as easy to schedule 15 + ND as 14+ND, and conference championship game deregulation may permit the add. We'll see. Maybe the state has leverage over ESPN to get them to pay the ACC; maybe the ACC recognizes the strategic value of locking the B1G out of New England.

Reaction Score

The ONLY shot we have at the ACC is IF ND decides to join fulltime which may never happen and will certainly not be happening in the short term.

The ACC is never adding another Florida school as long as it has FSU & Miami and the "fertile" recruiting grounds of Ohio get Cinci in as a last resort if the ACC implodes and the conference is on a death bed with UNC, UVA, FSU, Clemson & others having already left

Dooley

Reaction Score
Their problem would be that ESPN has no incentive to up the conference payout for the add, as they already own UConn's rights for a song ... so the ACC could lose per-school revenue. Also, there is still the residual politics (footballs schools wary of giving up voting power to basketball schools, turf wars in the northeast).

In principle I agree, it should be as easy to schedule 15 + ND as 14+ND, and conference championship game deregulation may permit the add. We'll see. Maybe the state has leverage over ESPN to get them to pay the ACC; maybe the ACC recognizes the strategic value of locking the B1G out of New England.

The ONLY shot we have at the ACC is IF ND decides to join fulltime which may never happen and will certainly not be happening in the short term.

The ACC is never adding another Florida school as long as it has FSU & Miami and the "fertile" recruiting grounds of Ohio get Cinci in as a last resort if the ACC implodes and the conference is on a death bed with UNC, UVA, FSU, Clemson & others having already left

I agree with both of your points. ESPiN owns our rights for pennies on the dollar. I think an ACC move would be pre-emptive to a potential B1G move for UCONN and/or B12 move for Cincinnati or UCF. CR is still about survival. It seems silly for the ACC to destroy their east coast conference competition and leave the biggest dog out there for other conferences to scoop up.

If we have to wait on ND, then we will never get into a conference. They are going to do everything possible to keep their independence and sweetheart deals. I just think that a football schedule with a "part time member" is a bit disjointed and could be leveled by adding another full-time member.

Reaction Score
ESPN has two incencentives.
Both involved Fox.
The contract with the AAC is short term and written at a time when it looked like the AAC might fall apart.
If the AAC continues having success the next contract will be a lot more competitive. It would be cheaper to give One or two teams a bump than getting in a bidding war with Fox.
A big east B1g,AAC alliance with be a significant BB coup.
The other scenario involves UConn to the B1G and a significant threat to the ACC
An extra 20mm is peanuts

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with both of your points. ESPiN owns our rights for pennies on the dollar. I think an ACC move would be pre-emptive to a potential B1G move for UCONN and/or B12 move for Cincinnati or UCF. CR is still about survival. It seems silly for the ACC to destroy their east coast conference competition and leave the biggest dog out there for other conferences to scoop up.

If we have to wait on ND, then we will never get into a conference. They are going to do everything possible to keep their independence and sweetheart deals. I just think that a football schedule with a "part time member" is a bit disjointed and could be leveled by adding another full-time member.

What "sweetheart deals"?? ND makes less TV money as an independent than if it would join the Big Ten. Purdue and Indiana make more TV money than ND right now.

ND's deal with the ACC is that it shares no ACC football money and keeps the NBC money. The NBC deal paid ND $15 million before its renewal a year or so ago. Nobody knows how much the new deal is worth per year. I hope that it is $25 million, but it is likely less than that.

ND only gets a share of the ACC minor bowl money if ND plays in one (it all goes into one common pool, then). If ND doesn't play in one, it gets no ACC bowl money.

I do agree with you on your main point, though. ND wants to stay independent for reasons other than TV money (brand, exposure, recruiting, school identity, etc..) and will not likely join a football conference unless the playoffs are limited to conference champs only.

Reaction Score
What "sweetheart deals"?? ND makes less TV money as an independent than if it would join the Big Ten. Purdue and Indiana make more TV money than ND right now.

ND's deal with the ACC is that it shares no ACC football money and keeps the NBC money. The NBC deal paid ND $15 million before its renewal a year or so ago. Nobody knows how much the new deal is worth per year. I hope that it is $25 million, but it is likely less than that.

ND only gets a share of the ACC minor bowl money if ND plays in one (it all goes into one common pool, then). If ND doesn't play in one, it gets no ACC bowl money.

I do agree with you on your main point, though. ND wants to stay independent for reasons other than TV money (brand, exposure, recruiting, school identity, etc..) and will not likely join a football conference unless the playoffs are limited to conference champs only.

TerryD-3_zps66223252.jpg

Reaction Score
God you're an idiot

So, you think Cleanface adds a lot to the discussion, eh?

He takes unprovoked shots at ND all of the time. Once in a while, I fire one back. I never start any discussion here (or anywhere) that is negative to any school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak