UConn/ACC | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good morning. :)

I can see that there has been a lot of uncertainty about the UConn program as a result of CR. One can totally understand what you are going through. I am not here to gloat or take pleasure in your anxieties. At the same time, I'm not going to blow sunshine and roses, like certain other posters, but make my best case as to why the ACC is the best fit for UConn.

To start, I'm just an average citizen. I have no connections to athletic directors, commissioners, presidents or academics. Just someone who appreciates the athletic prowess of the ACC, not just two/three sports. I want the ACC to not only be the best in sports but also stick to a common philosophy of being Eastern and proud of it. UConn would be a tremendous addition to the conference and I'm sorry that it hasn't happened already.

The potential of the merger of Big East and ACC schools has yet to be realized

I am a big believer of the whole is greater than the sum. Imagine the combination of most of the greatest programs up and down the East Coast from UNC to FSU to now include UConn. Too bad the small-minded folks within many of the fan bases don't see it like I do. There has to be a better effort at integrating the schools in order to work out the differences. Maryland was becoming too estranged from the ACC even before someone there thought up the idea of moving conferences. The finances were just the convenient excuse to leave. I also think we need a new commissioner who can better able to make the new mix work.

The focus on state flagships by certain competitors limits their ability to address athletic competitiveness demands

This I believe is a big weakness in the Big Ten. Yes, flagships have historically been shown to produce more alumni who would potentially purchase season tickets, donations, etc.. However, there is a correlation/causation issue. In the Midwest, especially in the small towns where those universities are located, sports options are limited, therefore, those sports programs were better positioned to get needed exposure. By contrast, in the East, there are much greater potential eyeballs for programs who take advantage of the opportunities. Look at the exposure UConn has gotten through the success of their programs. Although we unfortunately have a yahoo contingent who only see things through football, most of the more rational ACC'ers see the potential of UConn teams competing against the best of what the ACC has to offer. The flagship model is resource-intensive, meaning that schools have to continually ask for more money to make the model work. It's interesting that those ultra-conservatives in the Midwest have been displeased by the move East of the B1G. But that was borne out of the necessity of the B1G having to get new monies for the bloat they have had to carry. The ACC is hungrier, more nimble, cares about more sports. In other words, a true fit for UConn.

Academics are important but not to the point of diminishing athletics

This is a point I see many UConn fans have trouble with. Look, Louisville is a great athletics program. Who wouldn't want to see a program that has grown leaps and bounds since they were in the Metro? I know it's a sore point with many of you but, otoh, what UConn fan hasn't enjoyed beating the Ville in various sports when they both were in the Big East? I hope that you can be brought along so that you can renew those rivalries with Ville and other ACC teams. The B1G attitude on academics smacks me of elitism, something that I see many here put on the private schools. All of this focus on research, research, research. What about the quality of the research? How has mankind benefitted from the CIC that individual universities couldn't achieve on their own? Meanwhile, the point of a sports league is to be the best possible in sports, within reason of course. If the B1G wants to insist on that particular kind of elitism that's on them. But the college sports world doesn't revolve around them, despite what many Midwesterners believe.

Better position to appeal across multiple demographics in the Eastern seaboard

Northeast, Southeast, South Florida, North Florida, and everywhere in between. Access to wealthier parents with children through women's soccer, lacrosse, basketball, field hockey, etc.. With the mix of the schools involved, we can reach both private school and public school graduates, plus potential new fans who aren't graduates of schools. Look at the ratings when Cuse and Duke play in basketball. Get UConn in there to mix it up with the best of what we have to offer. If we could somehow overcome the small-mindedness of certain fans and administrators, this could happen much sooner.

Recruiting much easier when you only have to worry about one time zone

Very important. No need to fly teams to Chicago, Minneapolis other than to play OOC games. Yes, Louisville and South Bend almost touch the CTZ but those schools have always looked East through their recent histories. The East has historically been a fertile ground for recruits in so many sports and now the resource-intensive conferences realize this and are desperately trying to change the equation.

The B1G doesn't see you as one of them

Probably the most controversial thing I'm going to say here, knowing how frustrated you are by CR. But somebody has to say it. They won't say it in public but, trust me, that's how they think. This has nothing to do with sports but everything to do with status and arrogance. You are nouveau riche, meaning that they don't see you as of their quality. Meanwhile, if the SEC Network and BTN grow too humongous that they bully the other conferences then both the ACC and UConn would be on the outside looking in. I think there needs to be a change in the minds of both sides. A lot of ACC'ers won't agree with this realistic assessment that I just gave here but there are times when one has to see it for what it is. By the way, I don't think there would be further expansion by the SEC/B1G. They'd rather gain untold power w/o adding more mouths to feed. Those last moves were about power, money and control. The reality is the B1G looks down on you. I don't say these things for effect. The ACC has fumbled the ball, yes, but there is another opportunity to set it right next time.

To conclude, I'm aware and understand your anger at the ACC. I'm also unhappy with how the ACC has treated you. But I believe there is a chance to persuade you on the potential of a more powerful East Coast sports league that can counter the B1G/SEC. I can expound on that further if you can allow me to. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to write to you on this.

P.S. Those who disagree and offer much different opinions already have several threads to promote them. This is about how UConn and the ACC could work together.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure what you expect here...

A pack of coyotes raids a chicken coop over and over and over again and now wants to ask the last remaining chicken how they can make the relationship work?

Step One.

Stop trying to kill our athletic program.

Reaction Score

Pe217l.gif

iframe>

Reaction Score
Reasonable thoughts, reasonably presented...up to a point. If you have more to say, say it. Don't be coy. There was a time in the past when I could have celebrated inclusion in an ACC that competed with the SEC in the southeast by owning the northeast. But that would have required holding on to Maryland and adding Rutgers and UConn. True, UConn was barely even UConn at the time of the first raid. Adding us and Rutgers would have required vision, something in such short supply in the ACC as to be non-existent. To build on Fishy's chicken franchise, the ACC seems to have approached conference expansion like a bunch of chicken's with their heads cut off. You mentioned a need for a change in leadership. Start with Swofford. Could he have bungled things any worse? What can be done to plug the gigantic hole (call it Swofford's Chasm) in the middle of your conference?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the ACC wants UConn, it knows how to contact the appropriate decision makers at the University. It has shown no inclination to do so & former conference mates of UConn have been outright arrogant against the University's inclusion.
You seem like a logical person, but logic has been thrown out with the bath water as it applies to UConn & CR.
Should UConn get an invitation to a P5 conference, said invitation will be accepted with "You had me at hello!" as part of the response.
I don't expect to see an invite coming from Tobacco Road: While charter members UNC, N.C.State, & Duke would embrace the Huskies, ACC newbies Thunder Chicken U, Miami, Syracuse, & et al won't be coming forth with glowing endorsements anytime soon. They always looked at UConn as "little brother" who could be figuratively ordered around to do their bidding. Guess what: Little brothers grow up & sometimes become the alpha male. That's what they're afraid of.

Reaction Score
Reasonable thoughts, but we at UCONN can read the writing on the wall. The ACC has made its bed. The only thing the ACC is going to do is display in all its glory how it tore apart the Big East because it could and, without blinking, how it is doomed to repeat history. Go ND.

pj

Reaction Score
If the ACC offers UConn a spot, we'll accept. So in one sense you had persuaded us before you began.

But however things end, they have not worked out well for UConn. It is not only the delay in entering a good conference, but the ACC is now spread out, divided culturally, and with a gap between Virginia and New England, so it is no longer as attractive to UConn as it might have been; while the B1G, attractive in many ways, would force us to develop totally new rivalries. The destruction of regional conferences and old rivalries by realignment has left northeastern college sports worse off.

Getting back into the ACC is much like getting back to the status we had in the Big East a few years ago - BCS access, competitive conference, competitive money - in a conference in which our division would closely resemble the old Big East down to the specific teams. It would therefore feel to us less like a cause for celebration, and more like a cause for relief at the end of a period of miserable suffering.

Reaction Score
Good morning. :)

I can see that there has been a lot of uncertainty about the UConn program as a result of CR. One can totally understand what you are going through. I am not here to gloat or take pleasure in your anxieties. At the same time, I'm not going to blow sunshine and roses, like certain other posters, but make my best case as to why the ACC is the best fit for UConn.

To start, I'm just an average citizen. I have no connections to athletic directors, commissioners, presidents or academics. Just someone who appreciates the athletic prowess of the ACC, not just two/three sports. I want the ACC to not only be the best in sports but also stick to a common philosophy of being Eastern and proud of it. UConn would be a tremendous addition to the conference and I'm sorry that it hasn't happened already.

The potential of the merger of Big East and ACC schools has yet to be realized

I am a big believer of the whole is greater than the sum. Imagine the combination of most of the greatest programs up and down the East Coast from UNC to FSU to now include UConn. Too bad the small-minded folks within many of the fan bases don't see it like I do. There has to be a better effort at integrating the schools in order to work out the differences. Maryland was becoming too estranged from the ACC even before someone there thought up the idea of moving conferences. The finances were just the convenient excuse to leave. I also think we need a new commissioner who can better able to make the new mix work.

The focus on state flagships by certain competitors limits their ability to address athletic competitiveness demands

This I believe is a big weakness in the Big Ten. Yes, flagships have historically been shown to produce more alumni who would potentially purchase season tickets, donations, etc.. However, there is a correlation/causation issue. In the Midwest, especially in the small towns where those universities are located, sports options are limited, therefore, those sports programs were better positioned to get needed exposure. By contrast, in the East, there are much greater potential eyeballs for programs who take advantage of the opportunities. Look at the exposure UConn has gotten through the success of their programs. Although we unfortunately have a yahoo contingent who only see things through football, most of the more rational ACC'ers see the potential of UConn teams competing against the best of what the ACC has to offer. The flagship model is resource-intensive, meaning that schools have to continually ask for more money to make the model work. It's interesting that those ultra-conservatives in the Midwest have been displeased by the move East of the B1G. But that was borne out of the necessity of the B1G having to get new monies for the bloat they have had to carry. The ACC is hungrier, more nimble, cares about more sports. In other words, a true fit for UConn.

Academics are important but not to the point of diminishing athletics

This is a point I see many UConn fans have trouble with. Look, Louisville is a great athletics program. Who wouldn't want to see a program that has grown leaps and bounds since they were in the Metro? I know it's a sore point with many of you but, otoh, what UConn fan hasn't enjoyed beating the Ville in various sports when they both were in the Big East? I hope that you can be brought along so that you can renew those rivalries with Ville and other ACC teams. The B1G attitude on academics smacks me of elitism, something that I see many here put on the private schools. All of this focus on research, research, research. What about the quality of the research? How has mankind benefitted from the CIC that individual universities couldn't achieve on their own? Meanwhile, the point of a sports league is to be the best possible in sports, within reason of course. If the B1G wants to insist on that particular kind of elitism that's on them. But the college sports world doesn't revolve around them, despite what many Midwesterners believe.

Better position to appeal across multiple demographics in the Eastern seaboard

Northeast, Southeast, South Florida, North Florida, and everywhere in between. Access to wealthier parents with children through women's soccer, lacrosse, basketball, field hockey, etc.. With the mix of the schools involved, we can reach both private school and public school graduates, plus potential new fans who aren't graduates of schools. Look at the ratings when Cuse and Duke play in basketball. Get UConn in there to mix it up with the best of what we have to offer. If we could somehow overcome the small-mindedness of certain fans and administrators, this could happen much sooner.

Recruiting much easier when you only have to worry about one time zone

Very important. No need to fly teams to Chicago, Minneapolis other than to play OOC games. Yes, Louisville and South Bend almost touch the CTZ but those schools have always looked East through their recent histories. The East has historically been a fertile ground for recruits in so many sports and now the resource-intensive conferences realize this and are desperately trying to change the equation.

Probably the most controversial thing I'm going to say here, knowing how frustrated you are by CR. But somebody has to say it. They won't say it in public but, trust me, that's how they think. This has nothing to do with sports but everything to do with status and arrogance. You are nouveau riche, meaning that they don't see you as of their quality. Meanwhile, if the SEC Network and BTN grow too humongous that they bully the other conferences then both the ACC and UConn would be on the outside looking in. I think there needs to be a change in the minds of both sides. A lot of ACC'ers won't agree with this realistic assessment that I just gave here but there are times when one has to see it for what it is. By the way, I don't think there would be further expansion by the SEC/B1G. They'd rather gain untold power w/o adding more mouths to feed. Those last moves were about power, money and control. The reality is the B1G looks down on you. I don't say these things for effect. The ACC has fumbled the ball, yes, but there is another opportunity to set it right next time.

To conclude, I'm aware and understand your anger at the ACC. I'm also unhappy with how the ACC has treated you. But I believe there is a chance to persuade you on the potential of a more powerful East Coast sports league that can counter the B1G/SEC. I can expound on that further if you can allow me to. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to write to you on this.

P.S. Those who disagree and offer much different opinions already have several threads to promote them. This is about how UConn and the ACC could work together.
Even as an RU fan this guy seems/rings honest!?! No BB or stimpycuse....yet. Loads of common sense but with a touch of concern.. or maybe jealousy?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't get the second main paragraph. Focus on state flagships is misguided...so...what exactly? Since UConn is a state flagship, I am not sure what this means. Maybe this is just another excuse for inviting the great unwashed from Louisville. Louisville is exactly what you say the ACC shouldn't want, a small city team trading on the fact that there is no local sports competition.

Look, despite some lingering bitterness, and with some reluctance, I tend to think that UConn is a very good fit in the ACC. Basketball centric, strong soccer, decent baseball, and more regional rivalries. But Swofford botched that crap back when he listened to idiots at BC and took Pitt. The ACC should have Maryland, Rutgers and UConn, and not Pitt or Louisville. Then it would be what you describe. Even taking WVU would have made sense and the blew that too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
and we will now proceed to beat you like a rented mule.
For all the - very understandable- hate and apprehension towards the ACC... This would be sooooo worth it if it ever came to pass.

Reaction Score
Reasonable thoughts, reasonably presented...up to a point. If you have more to say, say it. Don't be coy. There was a time in the past when I could have celebrated inclusion in an ACC that competed with the SEC in the southeast by owning the northeast. But that would have required holding on to Maryland and adding Rutgers and UConn. True, UConn was barely even UConn at the time of the first raid. Adding us and Rutgers would have required vision, something in such short supply in the ACC as to be non-existent. To build on Fishy's chicken franchise, the ACC seems to have approached conference expansion like a bunch of chicken's with their heads cut off. You mentioned a need for a change in leadership. Start with Swofford. Could he have bungled things any worse? What can be done to plug the gigantic hole (call it Swofford's Chasm) in the middle of your conference?

Yes, Swofford is one of them. Also, a lot of athletic department heads need to be changed for younger people with a more progressive mindset, who understand that rivalries are about the best teams competing against each other directly on the field of play, not about what happened 50-60 years ago.

I thought there was a chance of keeping Maryland but, unfortunately, it would have required some changes in scheduling that may not have been acceptable at other schools. There is an area where real leadership is sorely lacking. It would take someone from outside all of the ACC schools. Then, maybe, it would have been probable that Maryland stayed. Rutgers wasn't going to the ACC, regardless. It was either the Big Ten or staying in the AAC from their standpoint. At least that was the goal from Pernetti, et al, from reading recent articles.

UConn and Maryland would have been great for rivalries. Then mix in a great institution like Pitt. You could have Duke, Maryland, Pitt, UConn, UNC, Cuse, Virginia. Louisville could still be in the mix as a #16.

Reaction Score
The only way we get an eventual invite to the ACC is if they have a real fear that the B1G is about to take us.

And if we do get approached by the ACC, we'll go quietly in the night to check on Delany first anyway. It will Delany making the final decision what conference we are in, not Swofford. If we ever do get out of the AAC at all.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think UCONN in the ACC would provide terrific rivalries, especially up here in the northeast. But you don't need to convince UCONN fans of that. You are better served going on the BC and Syracuse boards with this post. Those two fan bases are absolutely loving the fact that UCONN is in the AAC and want us in the AAC for as long as possible to get a jump on recruiting. For example, BC has a Top 25 ranked football recruiting class for the first time in a long time and, coincidentally, UCONN is coming out of a dark Pasqualoni era and stuck in the AAC. It's much easier to recruit against that than a program that was rising rapidly (pre-Pasqualoni) and making consistent bowl game appearances. And Syracuse? Their fanbase is still in denial that we won our 4th national title this past spring despite their "historic" 25-0 start. Not to mention, our football program very easily leapfrogged theirs when we conference mates.

For ACC schools in the northeast, it's about "turf" and protecting it from competition (UCONN). In other words, the complete opposite mentality of what is supposed to make college sports so special: regional rivalries. I don't know what was discussed in the last few ACC expansion rounds, but it seems that the timing of our Pasqualoni era and threatening competitive balance with our regional rivals swayed the ACC into inviting other schools. We've now gone through this several times and each time, the criteria for selecting the other school over UCONN has changed. And yet, here we are, the ACC sitting at 15 with ND as a part-time member, and nothing keeping the ACC from inviting UCONN to grow their conference (and secure valuable northeast market territories from other expanding conferences) and still no invite.

If the ACC invited UCONN tomorrow, we would all happily accept. We're kind of like that projected first round pick that keeps slipping in a draft. As we get further along the process, the quality of conferences/teams picking towards the end of the first round improve. And when our name is finally called, that conference is going to get one heck of a school/athletic department with a big chip on our shoulders to prove we belong.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN in the ACC would provide terrific rivalries, especially up here in the northeast. But you don't need to convince UCONN fans of that. You are better served going on the BC and Syracuse boards with this post. Those two fan bases are absolutely loving the fact that UCONN is in the AAC and want us in the AAC for as long as possible to get a jump on recruiting. For example, BC has a Top 25 ranked football recruiting class for the first time in a long time and, coincidentally, UCONN is coming out of a dark Pasqualoni era and stuck in the AAC. It's much easier to recruit against that than a program that was rising rapidly (pre-Pasqualoni) and making consistent bowl game appearances. And Syracuse? Their fanbase is still in denial that we won our 4th national title this past spring despite their "historic" 25-0 start. Not to mention, our football program very easily leapfrogged theirs when we conference mates.

For ACC schools in the northeast, it's about "turf" and protecting it from competition (UCONN). In other words, the complete opposite mentality of what is supposed to make college sports so special: regional rivalries. I don't know what was discussed in the last few ACC expansion rounds, but it seems that the timing of our Pasqualoni era and threatening competitive balance with our regional rivals swayed the ACC into inviting other schools. We've now gone through this several times and each time, the criteria for selecting the other school over UCONN has changed. And yet, here we are, the ACC sitting at 15 with ND as a part-time member, and nothing keeping the ACC from inviting UCONN to grow their conference (and secure valuable northeast market territories from other expanding conferences) and still no invite.

If the ACC invited UCONN tomorrow, we would all happily accept. We're kind of like that projected first round pick that keeps slipping in a draft. As we get further along the process, the quality of conferences/teams picking towards the end of the first round improve. And when our name is finally called, that conference is going to get one heck of a school/athletic department with a big chip on our shoulders to prove we belong.

What you have described is the example of small-mindedness that I have alluded to in the OP. I still think that it was a good idea to enter the Northeast market but the arrogance of some of the institutions has ended up hurting the ACC as a whole. There are still ultra-conservatives who wish the return of small regional conferences but, even then, they don't agree among themselves over who would be in where. Then again, that opinion also exists greatly in the Big Ten area. So that opinion can't be taken all that seriously. Therefore, we have to continue to move forward. It may have to be over the objections of the small-minded folks if it has to be done that way.

So you're right that a bigger change has to be within the ACC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What you have described is the example of small-mindedness that I have alluded to in the OP. I still think that it was a good idea to enter the Northeast market but the arrogance of some of the institutions has ended up hurting the ACC as a whole. There are still ultra-conservatives who wish the return of small regional conferences but, even then, they don't agree among themselves over who would be in where. Then again, that opinion also exists greatly in the Big Ten area. So that opinion can't be taken all that seriously. Therefore, we have to continue to move forward. It may have to be over the objections of the small-minded folks if it has to be done that way.

So you're right that a bigger change has to be within the ACC.

Agreed. For the record, I liked what you posted. It is logical and rational, for the most part. But as the leaders at some ACC member schools are stuck in their small-minded, turf protection mode, UCONN has improved its complete profile to make itself attractive to another P5 conference with northeast aspirations. With the addition of Rutgers, the B1G has added a regional rival of UCONN while attempting to sandwich NYC. I disagree that the B1G "looks down on UCONN", but I do agree that the AAU requirement might be a bit outdated (especially given with what happened at Nebraska).

I guess UCONN's P5 aspirations depend on which conference will think progressively first: the ACC + regional rivalries being good for the conference; OR the B1G recognizing UCONN as a good academic school without AAU membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom