2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clingan was a lock to UConn for years? Didn't seem like that when everyone on here was worried about his visits to Michigan, Ohio St., Syracuse, etc.
Michigan was a real threat. Syracuse only was in the minds of their fan base lol. Donovan and his family might be the biggest recruiting tool of all for Betsey. Family is clearly important to Donovan and indications are that that is the case for Betsey as well.

Reaction Score
Did you have those same concerns for Donovan?
No, because for the most part all I heard was he's coming to UConn. So, no that wasn't a concern for him.

Reaction Score
She always said the staff expects to be able to make their pitch. It wasn't really that pessimistic. Betsey just isn't a near lock for UConn for years like Donovan was.
I guess that was my interpretation, I just sensed a lack of optimism….seems like his comments do project at least some real interest at this time

Reaction Score
No, because for the most part all I heard was he's coming to UConn. So, no that wasn't a concern for him.
Michigan was a threat because of Juwan Howard and their reputation for developing bigs.

Reaction Score
It’s kind of amazing that Duke is so relevant with recruiting after K left. How many more championships do we need to win to be on par with them recruiting wise? Just goes to show you the value of having Disney constantly hype your now mediocre program.

Reaction Score
It's Duke if they seriously recruit him.
Where are you getting this from? I can't read the article but I've always thought he ends up at UConn and still believe that.

Reaction Score
I don't have those concerns. I dont know the situation. And I'm black if that's what your implying. Just something that could always be a problem, black, white, Hispanic Asian. doesn't matter.

He hasn't committed to us, yet.

Do you always go to black and white issues?
Yep, think Aaron Hernandez, D.J. Hernandez, Chris Herren etc. Race doesn't determine your situation. Kids of any race can have things they need to get away from. Chris Herren said staying local and going to B.C. was the worst decision he could've made. Just going to B.C. was a mistake in itself. :)

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Man if we can get a 24 class comparable to the 23 class, our cupboards will be full

Reaction Score
Michigan was a threat because of Juwan Howard and their reputation for developing bigs.
I guess they did such a great job with Dickinson he felt it was timely to move on and share his development secrets with all those less capable bigs at Kansas. (Not directed at you, just my feeling about Howard's ability as a coach.):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It’s kind of amazing that Duke is so relevant with recruiting after K left. How many more championships do we need to win to be on par with them recruiting wise? Just goes to show you the value of having Disney constantly hype your now mediocre program.
Disney and the depth of thinking by kids who see 3 or 4 guys go to the league every year and believe that happened because they were developed at Duke, not that they were all top 20 players as Seniors in HS.

Reaction Score
His reference in the article about working with Mustapha Heron and Heron's dad is a bit concerning; I was under the impression that Heron was one of those players who wanted nothing to do with UConn and was desperate to get out of the state, and that his Dad thought his son was too good for UConn. Of course this was during the Ollie years, but this attitude didn't come out of nowhere, and I'd be wary of how much influence these two might have on Tyler Betsey and his family.

Reaction Score
His reference in the article about working with Mustapha Heron and Heron's dad is a bit concerning; I was under the impression that Heron was one of those players who wanted nothing to do with UConn and was desperate to get out of the state, and that his Dad thought his son was too good for UConn. Of course this was during the Ollie years, but this attitude didn't come out of nowhere, and I'd be wary of how much influence these two might have on Tyler Betsey and his family.

If Betsey wasn't interested in UConn, we wouldn't be a frontrunner for an OV. No issue.

Reaction Score
40 minutes from home hmmm. Seems like that could be important for Betsey himself to bring that up. I got scoffed at for bringing up previously how that could be a factor for some kids. Interesting.

You post some truly weird stuff. You got laughed at for not understanding that every local kid is not a lock to go to their local school.

Maybe you can get Ray to spend the summer coaching Tyler like he did with Hawkins.

Reaction Score
You post some truly weird stuff. You got laughed at for not understanding that every local kid is not a lock to go to their local school.

Maybe you can get Ray to spend the summer coaching Tyler like he did with Hawkins.
I’m laughing at you for thinking I said EVERY local kid wants to go to that school. And it was Rip that mainly worked with Hawkins. Just fact checking you there bub.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I’m laughing at you for thinking I said EVERY local kid wants to go to that school. And it was Rip that mainly worked with Hawkins. Just fact checking you there bub.
Hawkins developed his proper release point and release in limited spacing at CP3's summer camp with the pro session. Rip then worked on what Hawk had developed. This is the fact

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, hope there isn't any local baggage family doesn't want hanging around him.
I’m not diving into it but you’re not wrong.

To clarify, Tyler is a great kid by all means. Hartford is a small city though. Everyone knows everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many 6'7"/6'/8" guys does Scheyer need on his roster?? Talk about recruiting over someone..

Reaction Score
Just AAU whispers. No legit source. He seems like option E for them right now, so I also like our chances.
I know very little about the kid other than what he says. He strikes me as a kid who had to be urged a bit to realize how good he is and how far he could take this. Not totally obsessed with basketball since a very young age like a lot of kids and as he was doing things on the court Ken Smith and his AAU coaches were telling him he's a lot better than he actually knew he is.

Seems like not your typical basketball obsessed kid from the beginning but always knew about how great UConn is and always liked UConn. Having Bill Clingan and Donovan Clingan in his ear about how amazing it is to play for your city/state/UConn would be a pretty great thing to have. I hope they're talking to him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I know very little about the kid other than what he says. He strikes me as a kid who had to be urged a bit to realize how good he is and how far he could take this. Not totally obsessed with basketball since a very young age like a lot of kids and as he was doing things on the court Ken Smith and his AAU coaches were telling him he's a lot better than he actually knew he is.

Seems like not your typical basketball obsessed kid from the beginning but always knew about how great UConn is and always liked UConn. Having Bill Clingan and Donovan Clingan in his ear about how amazing it is to play for your city/state/UConn would be a pretty great thing to have. I hope they're talking to him.
Yeah it’s pretty rare for public school CT kids to get a lot of recruiting attention. Tyler might be the first one to do so without being 7’ or having a famous name.

As of recent, the only people I can think of that got big time recruiting attention were

• Andre Drummond (7’)
  • Clingan (7’)
  • Kris Dunn (played AAU with Andre)
  • Kuran Iverson (6’9 with famous last name)

What Tyler has going on right now is prettt different, and even then he’s playing with out of state AAU teams for the exposure and St Thomas Moore now. Not sure if he would’ve kept getting that exposure at a CT AAU team and staying with Windsor.

Reaction Score
Yeah it’s pretty rare for public school CT kids to get a lot of recruiting attention. Tyler might be the first one to do so without being 7’ or having a famous name.

As of recent, the only people I can think of that got big time recruiting attention were

• Andre Drummond (7’)
  • Clingan (7’)
  • Kris Dunn (played AAU with Andre)
  • Kuran Iverson (6’9 with famous last name)

What Tyler has going on right now is prettt different, and even then he’s playing with out of state AAU teams for the exposure and St Thomas Moore now. Not sure if he would’ve kept getting that exposure at a CT AAU team and staying with Windsor.
Freddie Wilson ended up at Seton Hall as well. Hillhouse kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog