2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah after reading the article I was going to say he sounds like a smart kid. He's done his homework and knows what to look for and what he wants. He's going into this with a plan.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If you ask me right now, I would like to commit by October,” Tyler Betsey said. “That can change”

He can’t leave without committing. He sounds like the type that will commit when he knows.

Reaction Score
It’s kind of amazing that Duke is so relevant with recruiting after K left. How many more championships do we need to win to be on par with them recruiting wise? Just goes to show you the value of having Disney constantly hype your now mediocre program.
How many more times do we have to beat teams like Duke or Kentucky in the tournament to get recruits to realize they don't compare to the Basketball Capitol

Reaction Score
Betsey Vs. Montverde Prep Team

22 PTS
5 REB (2 offensive)
0 AST (0 potential / 1 foul)

1 TO
0 STL
1 BLK

4/18 FG
3/11 2FG
1/7 3FG
13/14 FT

Overall:

6’8, 205 with a good frame. Terrific shooting form and FT shooting–absolutely textbook. Scoring was totally off this game, but took a bunch of 3s and got fouled at the rim. I would imagine he’s not shooting 22% from the field most nights. Volume 3s and driving seems to be his entire game. Not much in the way of handles. Passing is very, very limited. Struggles with ball pressure to make reads. Defense is okay, but I think will be pretty good in college–has nice length and some awareness.

In-game thoughts:
  • This is Montverde’s prep team, not their national team. Still mostly d1-bound players, but not the roster full of future pros. Pretty sure there’s a Baylor, Utah,
  • STM roster says he was 6’8 205 w/ a 7’ wingspan. Should be closer to 215lbs by the start of next season, if I were to guess. Definitely still filling out. His frame looks ready to put on a bunch of muscle to me. Just looks like a basketball player.
  • Moves pretty well for a 6’8 kid on defense. Fairly fluid hips. Effort not always there, but I see the pieces.
  • Absolutely gorgeous shooting stroke from the line and 3. On-balance, high release, nice footwork, no wasted movement. Chef’s kiss. Someone coached him really well in Windsor.
  • Wouldn’t call him a great athlete, but not bad. Feet are a little slow.
  • Needs to use more fakes when passing… getting away with being taller than everyone right now.
  • A bit too passive here for my liking just like AAU at times. Doesn’t quite have that competitive fire. Seems content to let others be the leader.
  • Not an open-court ballhandler at all, but can drive to one side when he wants to get a layup.
  • I see decent awareness of help defense and positioning. Bodes well on defense. Right now (like most recruits) not great.
  • Really looks like a kid who isn’t quite comfortable being 6’8 yet. Awkward still. Just signals to me that his ceiling is high.
  • Really strikes me as a consummate roleplayer… exactly what we got from Polley, but he’s bigger and can drive more. 3s from all over the court, basic straight lines drives and not much else. Very low usage, but takes up a lot of the defenses attention
  • I don’t think he’ll ever be a STAR player, but he could get drafted because his skill set is so in vogue.
  • Much more comfortable than Karaban driving the ball–better footwork. Probably has similar shooting ability-ish. Doesn’t have as high of an IQ/passing ability though. Not as comfortable doing work vs pressure.
  • No left hand at all at the rim, but seems to be able to drive left.
  • His touch at the rim left much to be desired this game. Not sure if that is common for him or not.
  • Aggressive at the rim–much more driving than I’ve seen in his other games. Getting a bunch of foul shots. Ridiculous amount.
  • being face-guarded a lot
  • Really not a good passer, just looks awkward and doesn’t see scoring plays. His passes are almost all just back to a guard who sets up a play. Needs to learn to fight pressure and make reads badly.
  • Man his shooting is just COLD in this game. So different than what I’ve seen before.
  • Not aggressive enough on the defensive boards
Missed floater, offensive board and fouled on the follow-up
Missed 3 off the dribble
Beat off the dribble
Nice board
Missed pull-up 2
Drive from the corner, fouled, makes both FTs
Forcing a TO
Missed post-up
Corner drive, misses the bunny but gets fouled. Makes ‘em both.
Transition 2
No idea what happened here, but he got to the line
Missed 3
Missed baseline drive
Poor defense, but makes it up with the block (note: I want to vomit when I see two-hand close-outs. It’s absolutely stupid)
Another missed 2, offensive board… misses but fouled
Another miss at the rim
Miss at the rim
Misses at the rim but gets fouled
Missed catch-and-shoot
3-point play post-up
Missed 3
Another missed 3
Forcing the TO call with good defense
Drive for 2. Nice pro hop
Forcing it, missed 2

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Betsey Vs. Montverde Prep Team

22 PTS
5 REB (2 offensive)
0 AST (0 potential / 1 foul)

1 TO
0 STL
1 BLK

4/18 FG
3/11 2FG
1/7 3FG
13/14 FT

Overall:

6’8, 205 with a good frame. Terrific shooting form and FT shooting–absolutely textbook. Scoring was totally off this game, but took a bunch of 3s and got fouled at the rim. I would imagine he’s not shooting 22% from the field most nights. Volume 3s and driving seems to be his entire game. Not much in the way of handles. Passing is very, very limited. Struggles with ball pressure to make reads. Defense is okay, but I think will be pretty good in college–has nice length and some awareness.

In-game thoughts:
  • This is Montverde’s prep team, not their national team. Still mostly d1-bound players, but not the roster full of future pros. Pretty sure there’s a Baylor, Utah,
  • STM roster says he was 6’8 205 w/ a 7’ wingspan. Should be closer to 215lbs by the start of next season, if I were to guess. Definitely still filling out. His frame looks ready to put on a bunch of muscle to me. Just looks like a basketball player.
  • Moves pretty well for a 6’8 kid on defense. Fairly fluid hips. Effort not always there, but I see the pieces.
  • Absolutely gorgeous shooting stroke from the line and 3. On-balance, high release, nice footwork, no wasted movement. Chef’s kiss. Someone coached him really well in Windsor.
  • Wouldn’t call him a great athlete, but not bad. Feet are a little slow.
  • Needs to use more fakes when passing… getting away with being taller than everyone right now.
  • A bit too passive here for my liking just like AAU at times. Doesn’t quite have that competitive fire. Seems content to let others be the leader.
  • Not an open-court ballhandler at all, but can drive to one side when he wants to get a layup.
  • I see decent awareness of help defense and positioning. Bodes well on defense. Right now (like most recruits) not great.
  • Really looks like a kid who isn’t quite comfortable being 6’8 yet. Awkward still. Just signals to me that his ceiling is high.
  • Really strikes me as a consummate roleplayer… exactly what we got from Polley, but he’s bigger and can drive more. 3s from all over the court, basic straight lines drives and not much else. Very low usage, but takes up a lot of the defenses attention
  • I don’t think he’ll ever be a STAR player, but he could get drafted because his skill set is so in vogue.
  • Much more comfortable than Karaban driving the ball–better footwork. Probably has similar shooting ability-ish. Doesn’t have as high of an IQ/passing ability though. Not as comfortable doing work vs pressure.
  • No left hand at all at the rim, but seems to be able to drive left.
  • His touch at the rim left much to be desired this game. Not sure if that is common for him or not.
  • Aggressive at the rim–much more driving than I’ve seen in his other games. Getting a bunch of foul shots. Ridiculous amount.
  • being face-guarded a lot
  • Really not a good passer, just looks awkward and doesn’t see scoring plays. His passes are almost all just back to a guard who sets up a play. Needs to learn to fight pressure and make reads badly.
  • Man his shooting is just COLD in this game. So different than what I’ve seen before.
  • Not aggressive enough on the defensive boards
Missed floater, offensive board and fouled on the follow-up
Missed 3 off the dribble
Beat off the dribble
Nice board
Missed pull-up 2
Drive from the corner, fouled, makes both FTs
Forcing a TO
Missed post-up
Corner drive, misses the bunny but gets fouled. Makes ‘em both.
Transition 2
No idea what happened here, but he got to the line
Missed 3
Missed baseline drive
Poor defense, but makes it up with the block (note: I want to vomit when I see two-hand close-outs. It’s absolutely stupid)
Another missed 2, offensive board… misses but fouled
Another miss at the rim
Miss at the rim
Misses at the rim but gets fouled
Missed catch-and-shoot
3-point play post-up
Missed 3
Another missed 3
Forcing the TO call with good defense
Drive for 2. Nice pro hop
Forcing it, missed 2
I feel like it’s been awhile since anyone’s gone “wow what a great game from this 5 star recruit.”

Reaction Score
I feel like it’s been awhile since anyone’s gone “wow what a great game from this 5 star recruit.”
'23 and '24 class seem weak. The younger kids are the real stars.

Reaction Score
Betsey v. South Kent

13 PTS
2 REB ( 1 offensive)
2 AST ( 1 potential / foul)

1 TO
1 STL
0 BLK

4/13 FG
1/8 2FG
3/5 3FG
2/2 FT
  • South Kent is another team with high-major talent right now. Two top-100 players (Elmarko Jackson and Papa Kante) as well as a bunch of mid- and low-major guys. STM is mostly low-major types.
  • Shot 50% from 2 in EYBL, but only 2.7 attempts per game. Makes me wonder if his issues at the rim are a weakness and not just 1 game.
  • Gives up way too many open 3s by being too aggressive in the help. At least a few per game.
  • His shooting has a LOT of gravity, even at the HS level. Creates a lot of spacing.
  • His team does not have very disciplined offensive sets at all. Poor screeners and don’t seem to run (or remember) what they’re supposed to be doing a lot of the time.
  • He needs to cut the long 2s by about 50% at minimum. Did a much better job of this in AAU.
  • His ranking is definitely in large part higher because of his size and skillset being in NBA-vogue. I don’t see a diverse enough skillset to be a dominant college player right away as much as a guy who clearly has a translatable NBA skillset and will be drafted because of that. Hauser was a good comparison–hopefully with more driving ability.
  • Rebounding effort and energy were disappointing in both games. Seems timid at the rim getting physical.
  • The passivity is really what gets him… Looks much, much better when he’s aggressive hunting his spots rather than waiting until the shot clock runs down.
  • I think #20-#30 is a good ranking if you balance college and NBA potential.
  • Really like his potential as a defender–covering those 6’8 220lb 4s that always seem to dominate in college (Prosper and Hopkins come to mind).
  • Needs to cut harder and be ready for a shot better. Slogs through a bit. Conditioning?
  • Really not very comfortable dribbling or pivoting vs pressure. Needs to work on that.
  • Way too right-hand dominant handling in the open court.
  • Totally uninvolved the last 10 minutes, it felt like. Not handling a face guard well.
  • Could use a lesson from AK on how to find open spots in a breakdown

Missed pull up 2
Missed drive 2
Made contested 3 ball
South Kent goes to a 1-3-1 to stop the 3… makes another
Another 3… 3 straight possessions.
Missed long 2
Missed layup
Forcing the travel
Missed long 2
Forces the TO in 1v1 transition defense
Fouled on a post up – No FTs
Missed long 2
Stripped by Elmarko
Potential assist and a steal
Fouled on a drive
Drive for 2
Some nice individual defense defending the drive and forcing a TO
Handles and the assist
Easy board
OOB assist
Board
Missed 3
Block on a drive

Reaction Score
Betsey v. South Kent

13 PTS
2 REB ( 1 offensive)
2 AST ( 1 potential / foul)

1 TO
1 STL
0 BLK

4/13 FG
1/8 2FG
3/5 3FG
2/2 FT
  • South Kent is another team with high-major talent right now. Two top-100 players (Elmarko Jackson and Papa Kante) as well as a bunch of mid- and low-major guys. STM is mostly low-major types.
  • Shot 50% from 2 in EYBL, but only 2.7 attempts per game. Makes me wonder if his issues at the rim are a weakness and not just 1 game.
  • Gives up way too many open 3s by being too aggressive in the help. At least a few per game.
  • His shooting has a LOT of gravity, even at the HS level. Creates a lot of spacing.
  • His team does not have very disciplined offensive sets at all. Poor screeners and don’t seem to run (or remember) what they’re supposed to be doing a lot of the time.
  • He needs to cut the long 2s by about 50% at minimum. Did a much better job of this in AAU.
  • His ranking is definitely in large part higher because of his size and skillset being in NBA-vogue. I don’t see a diverse enough skillset to be a dominant college player right away as much as a guy who clearly has a translatable NBA skillset and will be drafted because of that. Hauser was a good comparison–hopefully with more driving ability.
  • Rebounding effort and energy were disappointing in both games. Seems timid at the rim getting physical.
  • The passivity is really what gets him… Looks much, much better when he’s aggressive hunting his spots rather than waiting until the shot clock runs down.
  • I think #20-#30 is a good ranking if you balance college and NBA potential.
  • Really like his potential as a defender–covering those 6’8 220lb 4s that always seem to dominate in college (Prosper and Hopkins come to mind).
  • Needs to cut harder and be ready for a shot better. Slogs through a bit. Conditioning?
  • Really not very comfortable dribbling or pivoting vs pressure. Needs to work on that.
  • Way too right-hand dominant handling in the open court.
  • Totally uninvolved the last 10 minutes, it felt like. Not handling a face guard well.
  • Could use a lesson from AK on how to find open spots in a breakdown

Missed pull up 2
Missed drive 2
Made contested 3 ball
South Kent goes to a 1-3-1 to stop the 3… makes another
Another 3… 3 straight possessions.
Missed long 2
Missed layup
Forcing the travel
Missed long 2
Forces the TO in 1v1 transition defense
Fouled on a post up – No FTs
Missed long 2
Stripped by Elmarko
Potential assist and a steal
Fouled on a drive
Drive for 2
Some nice individual defense defending the drive and forcing a TO
Handles and the assist
Easy board
OOB assist
Board
Missed 3
Block on a drive

These are not very positive scouting reports

Sounds like Ross is better

Reaction Score
These are not very positive scouting reports

Sounds like Ross is better

Betsey is a better player than Ross with a higher ceiling at this stage.

Betsey is bigger, stronger, can drive the ball better, and is a better pure shooter. Ross is a highereffort player and probably a bit better pure athlete. I think Ross might actually play more than any freshman not named Stephon Castle because we need consistent shooting... but he has some glaring weaknesses too. Can't handle it very well, can't drive at all, and is way too skinny to hold up right now.

I'm honest with my scouts. None of the guys were are recruiting is perfect. They'd be a top-5 player if they had elite, well-rounded skillsets. I've been very critical of Abraham and Fland, but other guys have weaknesses too. Nowell is streaky and small. Howard can't do anything but shoot 3s or catch lobs on offense. Ngongba has poor conditioning. A few other guys are awful shooters. Swartz is a gunner to a fault sometimes and doesn't always play a team game.

We recruit kids with wrinkles that need to be ironed out and develop them. That's what this program has always done, and it's why we've won 5 natty's.

Reaction Score
Betsey is a better player than Ross with a higher ceiling at this stage.

Betsey is bigger, stronger, can drive the ball better, and is a better pure shooter. Ross is a highereffort player and probably a bit better pure athlete. I think Ross might actually play more than any freshman not named Stephon Castle because we need consistent shooting... but he has some glaring weaknesses too. Can't handle it very well, can't drive at all, and is way too skinny to hold up right now.

I'm honest with my scouts. None of the guys were are recruiting is perfect. They'd be a top-5 player if they had elite, well-rounded skillsets. I've been very critical of Abraham and Fland, but other guys have weaknesses too. Nowell is streaky and small. Howard can't do anything but shoot 3s or catch lobs on offense. Ngongba has poor conditioning. A few other guys are awful shooters. Swartz is a gunner to a fault sometimes and doesn't always play a team game.

We recruit kids with wrinkles that need to be ironed out and develop them. That's what this program has always done, and it's why we've won 5 natty's.

I don't know, I saw some pretty nice drives on the Ross highlights tape and he doesn't look all that skinny to me.

I'll leave the scouting to you though, it was just a couple of Betsey games in the scheme of things. Appreciate the detail.

Reaction Score
I don't know, I saw some pretty nice drives on the Ross highlights tape and he doesn't look all that skinny to me.

I'll leave the scouting to you though, it was just a couple of Betsey games in the scheme of things. Appreciate the detail.

Ross is 6'8 180, Betsey is 6'8 and at least 210. Ross will need to play the SF spot.

Ross can't drive at all in the half-court. He'll get one, maybe two transition drives a game. I'm thinking part of his improvement plan this off-season will be developing a pump fake and straight line drive.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Ross kind of looks like a more athletic Karaban on tape.

Good shooter (has high percentages with his good games, like very close to 100%) and is constantly looking for space making good cuts to the rim. Really active in passing lanes as he always seems to get a steal in his game highlights to catch those transition dunks. Has the whole shooter, IQ, smart passer, with high IQ defense like Karaban.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that he’s gone on other visits to schools and posted pictures from those visits. But the pictures from his last visit to UConn in 2022 is the post that he has pinned to the top of his profile

Reaction Score
Any word on how the visit went? Oddly, crickets from newspapers, online media, and BY insiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom