2024 Recruiting: - Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tyler Betsey breaks down his recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't remember anything official from Jennings but my memory is a bit fuzzy. I remember salivating over him as a prospect and from an outsiders view, we looked like we had a good chance to land him. We "settled" for Kemba and he became a legend.
Jennings was rocking a uconn jersey and people went nuts

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
For 2024, Duke has the following SF offers per 247:

ranking:
#11 overall player
#14 overall player
#17 overall player - Committed to Arizona
#20 overall player - Committed to Duke
#24 overall player - Betsey
#53 overall player - Committed to Duke

It doesn't seem like Betsey is a top priority for Duke.
Fwiw some view Betsey as more of a 4. But you could probably slide guys like him and Alex up to the 3 if the team calls for it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But Duke isn't prioritizing him. They're pursuing 3 or 4 others at his position and won't even tell him what role they see for him. That wouldn't make me feel very special.
I know, but he still said he wants to visit Duke per that article, even though he didn’t include them in his “schools making the most contact” list. He grew up a Duke fan, it’s gonna be hard if he gets a commit-able offer from them. But he sounds bought in on us as an option, so that’s nice.

Reaction Score
Fwiw some view Betsey as more of a 4. But you could probably slide guys like him and Alex up to the 3 if the team calls for it.

I think he could play either spot. Definitely not a secondary ballhandler or guard of any kind though.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Jennings was rocking a uconn jersey and people went nuts
lol. It was UConn shorts.

Brandon Jennings, a guard from Compton, Calif., who will be a junior at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, was in attendance. Wearing UConn shorts, he walked on the court before the game and met former Huskies. He also met many of this year’s freshmen, players who could one day be his teammates.

Jennings said he won’t make a commitment until halfway through his senior year, but asked if he was sending a message by wearing UConn shorts, he said: “I think so.”

Jennings is following the same path as fellow L.A.-area native Marcus Williams, attending Oak Hill this fall.

Reaction Score
Even during the best years under Calhoun we never got the top five stars to come to UConn. Drummond was highest I think, Rip, Gay and Kemba might have been top five or top ten. But Duke, NC, Kentucky and Kansas always have gotten the most five stars. So we should not expect that to change. Hurley will get some five star top ten types, but he will recruit to culture and develop. Seems we have already seen that the one and done is not necessarily the best way to build a roster. For me if I would say, the team that has won the most chips since 1999 would be the recruiting model that should be copied. Not stacking 5 stars ten deep and having no chemistry.
Kemba was around 20-25. Gay was top 10.

Drummond was ranked very high but for the junior class--he reclassed.

AJ Price was one of Calhoun's best gets.

Reaction Score
Bynum was highest but he never played thought he decided to enter draft after committing. Charlie V was very high I missed him. And Drummond does not count since technically he started the year as a walk on.
Dre was the 1 or 2 in his class before reclassification if I recall. Anthony Davis a year older was the number 1 for the class Dre moved up to. So wish they played.

Reaction Score
40 minutes from home hmmm. Seems like that could be important for Betsey himself to bring that up. I got scoffed at for bringing up previously how that could be a factor for some kids. Interesting.
It could be interpreted as a good or a bad thing. I think it depends on family and if they want to see games in person. The fact that he's engaging with UConn is a good thing. Plenty of great Connecticut players over the years never ever considered UConn, but I think the program's success has been an equalizing factor. Just need to equalize NIL to be on par with some other schools now.

Reaction Score
It could be interpreted as a good or a bad thing. I think it depends on family and if they want to see games in person. The fact that he's engaging with UConn is a good thing. Plenty of great Connecticut players over the years never ever considered UConn, but I think the program's success has been an equalizing factor. Just need to equalize NIL to be on par with some other schools now.
Yeah, hope there isn't any local baggage family doesn't want hanging around him.

Reaction Score
Just get him on campus for the OV. Anything can happen then.

It's Duke if they seriously recruit him. Memphis/UConn may come down to how near he wants to be to family, or how much more $$$ they can offer. UConn is clearly the better basketball choice and option to get him to the league.

Reaction Score
Yeah, hope the isn't any local baggage family doesn't want hanging around him.

I have heard nothing but good things about Tyler and his family. From all reports he's a smart, well-rounded kid. Though to be fair, AAU coaches aren't always honest about this stuff... they have an incentive to get their guys more and better scholarship offers.

Reaction Score
Did you have those same concerns for Donovan?
Last time around you had a rather pessimistic view of our chances of betsey being receptive to coming to UConn….have you changed your opinion?

Reaction Score
Last time around you had a rather pessimistic view of our chances of betsey being receptive to coming to UConn….have you changed your opinion?

She always said the staff expects to be able to make their pitch. It wasn't really that pessimistic. Betsey just isn't a near lock for UConn for years like Donovan was.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here are the things that are true:
1. UConn is not currently their first choice.
2. As I said before, the staff fully expects to be able to make their full pitch to him.
3. This staff is very good at official visits and laying out a developmental plan for recruits; and, every year they’ve been together, there are more successful outcomes to highlight.
4. They’ve had success selling a reluctant parent on the university itself before.
5. I know the comment about him having a support system close is out there, but no one really thinks being close is going to give them a significant edge.
6. His first couple weekends of the recruiting season have been fine but not spectacular. No one currently recruiting him is bothered by that. The not-so-secret secret about recruiting is coaches don’t mind at all if guys don’t show their best once they’ve locked into them. No one needs a top target to suddenly get an avalanche of new offers.
7. This list got ridiculously long.
8. We just won a NC and Coach K is gone.

Reaction Score

The answers to some of the family related questions in this interview shows a close relationship with family, including two younger siblings. Tyler said if he had $10 million in the bank one of the first things he’d do would be to buy his parents a house. It sounds like he has a very close relationship with his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom