Tonight's Coach's Show on WTIC | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tonight's Coach's Show on WTIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The way I look at it is there are higher ups who get wind of these interviews and our response to them. Any chance you get to have the coach explain his thinking no matter how limited the scope, is more insight for those people to make decisions regarding the future direction of the program. If we want to bombard the coach or the announcer or make a joke of it, that becomes the story and you've overshadowed any constructive criticism that might have been made. They don't have to do the show and maybe some would prefer they didn't under these constraints. I disagree.

Reaction Score
It's tag-team time: Ed hands off to DC!

Desmond Conner @desmondconner
For the conspiracy theorists we're going to get down to in his own words who exactly is calling the offensive plays for #UConn #crazytalk

Eager to find who the "his" is in this sentence - PP? TJ? Warde?

Reaction Score
Thanks Des. You let us know if there are other ideas you need for your columns. What a tool.

Reaction Score
There isn't a single major reporter in the state of CT that has the knowledge of the sport to ask really pointed questions. These guys, for reasons that make perfect sense, can probably break down everything that happens on a basketball court and ask some serious questions to both coaches and players about basketball, but it's just not there in football. I talked about this yesterday.

I remember so vividly, when Randy Edsall, felt the need to actually bring beat reporters into the film room, because things were so screwed up in the press about what was happening with the football program and who was at fault for what and why when we didn't do well. It wasn't that long ago. I would happily bet large amounts of money that I don't have, and retire on the winnings, on the fact that the beat reporters covering our program have never actually re-watched an entire game and try to figure out what kinds of things happened in there and what to ask about, because they would have no idea what to look for anyway). It's also abundantly clear that the media draws a lot of their "insight" from this website, and that's pathetic.

The kid - Andrew Callahan - that's been posting what he's actually reviewed on video, and trying to understand it all. I'm pulling for that kid and his press credentials. If you're reading kid, don't be afraid to ask questions about what you see on the film, because you can't dodge what's on film.

You can guarantee - 100%, that if it's available to a people like you and me, that the opposing teams we have, can see it too, and already have.

Reaction Score
I did get through and the delay allowed me re-listen. The phone audio was screwed up so I could hardly hear Joe and on the stream it sounded like my question could only be heard in the room. Quick cutoff after I finished.

"Coach over the years UConn fans have become accustomed to solid physical offensive lines. Since then we've had scheme changes, coaching changes and changes in personnel. What do you attribute the lack of (run) productivity and the lack of protection our QB's seem to be getting to and what can be changed to improve it?"

To the best of my recollection.

Too rational and legit a question.

Reaction Score
[quote="Sometimes I really feel that the fans care about the program and W/L record more than the people around the team. We are the ones on the fan "front lines" who get things yelled at us when we wear a UCONN jacket to Philadelphia. We are the ones who have to read other fans' belittle our team and school. We are the ones who pay our hard earned money to support the team, only to be told that if it weren't for 4-100 plays that could have gotten differently, we would have won a game.[/quote]

I was diehard Met fan back in mid-80s. I remember reading that expose from SI in late 80s early 90s about the Mets and their Cocaine parties etc. I sat there recalling all the time as a 10 - 12 year old running downstairs to open the Courant's box scores to see how Dykstra, Strawberry, Gooden etc, had done the night before. That article made me realize that I cared more than them. I have never thought of professional athletes (sans hockey - I still think majority of them play for the love of the game) the same.

Reaction Score
Des has a blog post stating he will have an interview up with Weist tomorrow but states Weist has said he calls ALL the plays. So which one is it? Does PP call some or does Weist call all of them?

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/

I doubt Weist will say anything against his HC is what's essentially his "contract year". It would be a turn-off to future employers, and he seems like a smart guy.

Even if he's not being overridden, something is going on.

Reaction Score
I doubt Weist will say anything against his HC is what's essentially his "contract year". It would be a turn-off to future employers, and he seems like a smart guy.

This.

Reaction Score

Nice of PP to make Weist look foolish...then again PP won't have to worry about future employers.

Reaction Score
Is anybody planning on calling in? If so, can somebody PLEASE ask 1) if TJ Weist has 100% control of play calling and, if not, who is overriding his plays? and 2) when will George DeLeone be relieved of his duties as Offensive Line coach? When will we finally stop this ridiculous zone blocking scheme when the OL players were recruited for man blocking?

I want Pasqualoni to go on record with his answers to these questions, especially #1. If he says Weist has 100% control, then I want him to SAY it in a public forum and allow for Weist, if he feels the need, to refute it if it isn't true. I also want to hear if he says anything about a "coaching" game plan that they stick to. To me, this means Weist does NOT have full control of the playcalling and is being limited by PP and GDL.

We all know the horde won't ask these questions so it's on us fans to ask the "tough" questions.

I want to ask PP when he is excepted to be Fired! I might call on TIC's 800 line...

C

Chief00

It's tag-team time: Ed hands off to DC!

Desmond Conner @desmondconner
For the conspiracy theorists we're going to get down to in his own words who exactly is calling the offensive plays for #UConn #crazytalk

Eager to find who the "his" is in this sentence - PP? TJ? Warde?
The question isn't if TJ calls the plays, he does. The real question is does his plays get overridden by P and GDL?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This Weist conversation is pointless.

No one is going to say on the record he doesn't call the plays.

Reaction Score
I guess the question has been asked and answered by two now (awaiting more details from Des' promised piece tomorrow)... you have to make up your own mind on who to believe because I can't see being addressed each week going further. There isn't an offensive coordinator (or defensive coordinator) who hasn't been overruled/vetoed by a Head Coach in college or the pros during one game or another. It happens.

John Silver

>>Talked T.J. Weist about the play-calling and the offense. Weist wants to stick with the run game and said coordinators need to keep patient. As far as play-calling, for those wondering how that dynamic works between head coach, staff and coordinator, Weist said he calls all the plays. A lot goes into that and there is input from everyone, and Pasqualoni noted in his press conference that he has the ability to step in — that’s both on offense and defense — as the head coach, which is his right.

Weist gave all the indications that he has the freedom he needs on Tuesday.

“I am calling the plays.” Weist said. “I work closely with the offensive staff and they have input and during the games everyone has input. It’s us on offense calling the plays, but I decide what play is called. It’s a collaborative effort on all of us. I depend on the offensive staff every drive to tell me what’s going — what do we like? And what do we see? We have great experience on our staff and I depend on that every game and every drive to say what do we like now? What do we see? What are we getting? What is our personnel who is in the game? That’s where we stand and that’s how Coach Pasqualoni wanted it. He’s involved, but he’s turned the reins over to me.”<<

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Ask him if TJ Weist is in 100% control of calling ALL plays from beginning to end.

So according to Twitter this question was asked and answered saying that Weist calls the plays but PP has veto power as the Head Coach. So how far do you take it? What is the fans "right to know"? Does it make sense for someone to be asking "well which specific plays did you overrule?" Personally I don't think it would be remotely appropriate. I understand why we all speculate on here about it but that doesn't mean it is right to expect an actual answer that gives you all the specifics.

It seems that people are trying to give Weist a pass for the performance of the offense by claiming that he isn't in full control of the offense (whether that means he doesn't actually call all of the plays or because he doesn't get to order GDL around in how he coaches the OL). I still think two games into the season is too soon to judge Weist regardless but really, how much is a fan entitled to know about the inner workings of the football team?

Reaction Score
I guess the question has been asked and answered by two now (awaiting more details from Des' promised piece tomorrow)... you have to make up your own mind on who to believe because I can't see being addressed each week going further. There isn't an offensive coordinator (or defensive coordinator) who hasn't been overruled/vetoed by a Head Coach in college or the pros during one game or another. It happens.

John Silver

>>Talked T.J. Weist about the play-calling and the offense. Weist wants to stick with the run game and said coordinators need to keep patient. As far as play-calling, for those wondering how that dynamic works between head coach, staff and coordinator, Weist said he calls all the plays. A lot goes into that and there is input from everyone, and Pasqualoni noted in his press conference that he has the ability to step in — that’s both on offense and defense — as the head coach, which is his right.

Weist gave all the indications that he has the freedom he needs on Tuesday.

“I am calling the plays.” Weist said. “I work closely with the offensive staff and they have input and during the games everyone has input. It’s us on offense calling the plays, but I decide what play is called. It’s a collaborative effort on all of us. I depend on the offensive staff every drive to tell me what’s going — what do we like? And what do we see? We have great experience on our staff and I depend on that every game and every drive to say what do we like now? What do we see? What are we getting? What is our personnel who is in the game? That’s where we stand and that’s how Coach Pasqualoni wanted it. He’s involved, but he’s turned the reins over to me.”<<

I've mentioned this several times before, but it bears repeating. At Cincy they set up their pass by running over 100 times more than they passed last year.

It makes sense that Weist called for passes often during the first drive and then tried to establish the run to set up the pass later in the game.

Obviously when the run didn't work, the passing game was doomed. Maybe PP was trying to shift blame to himself by saying he was involved with the offense. Yeah right....

Reaction Score
There isn't an offensive coordinator (or defensive coordinator) who hasn't been overruled/vetoed by a Head Coach in college or the pros during one game or another. It happens.

And how often does an AD force the hiring of a new offensive coordinator to split up two cronies who have been together for almost 40 years? Does that happen all the time, too? Think you're overlooking (underplaying) that dynamic here, Medic. This head coach did not hire this offensive coordinator. If Weist came here accepting the "usual" deferential protocol would be in place, well, he's wasted a crucial year of his career.

TJ is playing the good soldier role here. As whaler said, what else is he going to say? For career survival, that's the right play. But the circumstantial evidence suggests PP's "sometime" changes happen more than that (less aggressive play calling after first TD). Would love to be in the hospitality room of next year's coaches convention and get the real deal from TJ about working with these guys. If he continues to put his fate in PP's hands he'd be better have his resume with him.

Reaction Score
Maybe PP was trying to shift blame to himself by saying he was involved with the offense. Yeah right....

Remember, if not for four assignment errors, UConn would have beaten Maryland by 10.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When you have better players than the other team you can look brilliant fairly easily (cough cough - Weist against Duke).

Reaction Score
On Ch. 61 just saw an interview with PP where he is fondly remembering how much fun he was having on the sidelines of the Maryland game, how great a game it was and how he wished it didn't have to end. Wow! :mad:

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that Whitmer was under center more in the MD game than the Towson game. Did Weist change that?

Reaction Score
The quarterback draw with McCombs leading Whitmer late in the first was one of the most mind-blowing in terms of personnel. Not a bad play for the situation if you had a running QB and a back that could block a lb. Who knew?

Reaction Score
BS on Weist calling a run up the middle for no gain on every first down play...it's the same exact thing as last year. We might as well start 2nd and 10 on every freaking series. Nice job PP and GDL. Try something different you stubborn old "you know what's". I can't take these two anymore. Someone ask TJ if he had to deal with this crap at Cincinnatti. These two can not leave this program fast enough. They are gone Monday without a doubt. The kids will play their hearts out I'm sure but don't know how much incompetence they can take. Warde must hear these rumblings coming from the team as well and has to make move now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom