This is what UConn football has become? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

This is what UConn football has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all, stop getting into semantics arguments that are unnecessary. I'm telling you they will do better than 6-6. Enough. Mark it down so you don't forget it.

Secondly, what have I seen that tells me we could be better than 8-4? Here's what:

1) The offense can move the ball when not disrupted by the wildcat, and I expect they will do so in the future.
2) The defense will not give up 30 (24 was on them) against any team for the rest of the year. Today was an abomination.
3) I saw USF lose to Ball State, Pitt lose to Youngstown State, Temple lose to a Maryland team that we beat, Syracuse almost lose to Stony Brook, and a Louisville team struggling with FIU. Tell me the game that we cannot win in this league with our roster "as-is"?

How's that for you?

1. You think the wildcat is going away? We'll see about that I guess.
2. 30? They might not give up 30. The problem isn't how many points they give up though...
3. Sure, the schedule is so bad that they can win any individual game. That doesn't mean you win 6 of 8.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember the old Dom Perno teams of the early 80's. They weren't good, but they weren't bad, either. They happened to play in the Big East, unfortunately, at a time when players like Chris Mullins and Patrick Ewing were dominating the scene. Our players had talent, like Earl Kelley, but we didn't have enough talent to beat the likes of GTown, Syracuse, or St. John's back then.

Then you have a bad memory. Those early 80's UConn teams were plenty good. They were in Al McGuire's pre-season Top 20. We gave the Pat Ewing team that lost the Freddie Brown final their worst loss of the season. We beat Cuse yearly it seemed. Mullin's St. John's was lucky to win by a bucket in the 82 BET. Perno was a horrible coach. And so is HCPP.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1. You think the wildcat is going away? We'll see about that I guess.
2. 30? They might not give up 30. The problem isn't how many points they give up though...
3. Sure, the schedule is so bad that they can win any individual game. That doesn't mean you win 6 of 8.

1) That's fair. I'm assuming that the coaching staff learned their lesson today, since McCummings didn't see the field for most of the second half. Let's hope I'm right.
2) If the above statement is true, then the defense keeping the other team low-scoring should be enough.
3) It NEVER means you will win 6-8. But having every game be "winnable" increases those odds, correct?

Reaction Score
If freaking Boise State can succeed, so can we. CT is much more desirable a location than freaking Idaho.

I take it you've never been to Boise. Use one of those "compare cities" websites, compare it to any CT city. You'll find plenty to like about Boise.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Since this thread was talking about the JH / PP hire, it's worth remembering that Chuck Neinas and his firm were hired to conduct the initial search for candidates. Early candidates included Ken Keely from Delaware, there were rumors about McGee but that probably didn't go too far. Mark Whipple and Tom Bradley were candidates and I think both interviewed along with PP and Hughes. What we don't really know is whether keeping most of the assistants on staff was a condition of the HC hire. Some of the other candidates may have wanted to replace the entire staff, I seem to recall that being rumored to be an issue for Whipple.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Then you have a bad memory. Those early 80's UConn teams were plenty good. They were in Al McGuire's pre-season Top 20. We gave the Pat Ewing team that lost the Freddie Brown final their worst loss of the season. We beat Cuse yearly it seemed. Mullin's St. John's was lucky to win by a bucket in the 82 BET. Perno was a horrible coach. And so is HCPP.

I have a bad memory??? Let's not rely on memory then, shall we? Let's rely on the numbers:

Dom Perno - Early 80's:

1980-1981: 20-9
1981-1982: 17-11
1982-1983: 12-16
1983-1984: 13-15
1984-1985: 13-15
1985-1986: 12-16

So....my memory is bad??? My statement was "The teams weren't good, but they weren't bad." With the exception of 80-81, was I wrong??? Jesus!

Reaction Score
That's fair. I would argue that I am demanding respect. I demand it of our opponents, and I demand it of our supporters. I remember the old Dom Perno teams of the early 80's. They weren't good, but they weren't bad, either. They happened to play in the Big East, unfortunately, at a time when players like Chris Mullins and Patrick Ewing were dominating the scene. Our players had talent, like Earl Kelley, but we didn't have enough talent to beat the likes of GTown, Syracuse, or St. John's back then. I think the reason everyone is taking this loss so hard today is that we DID have the talent to beat them. But we didn't have so much more talent than them as to say that we could play our C game and expect to beat their A game, right?

Some solid points. But i still have concerns about HCPP and his offensive coordinator. Time will tell whether it's warrantied.

Hip hip haray to the fans! Continue to support our Huskies!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
6-6 and a bowl and PP gets the Big Meh for another year.

It could be worse. We could be Maryland :)

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I have a bad memory??? Let's not rely on memory then, shall we? Let's rely on the numbers:

Dom Perno - Early 80's:

So....my memory is bad??? My statement was "The teams weren't good, but they weren't bad." With the exception of 80-81, was I wrong??? Jesus!

It was the 86-87 team that really sucked out the place. They hired some loser who was chump change compared to the younger and hipper Pitino over at Providence. I remember calling for his head and deciding there were worst things than Dom Perno after all. I just had to see it first.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Some solid points. But i still have concerns about HCPP and his offensive coordinator. Time will tell whether it's warrantied.

Hip hip haray to the fans! Continue to support our Huskies!

If it makes you feel any better, I still have concerns about PP's offensive coordinator too. Would love to see Foley back as the OLine coach, and I never want to hear the word "wildcat" again, unless it's a reference to an 80's movie starring Goldie Hawn...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Dom Perno - Early 80's:

Yes, you were wrong. Early '80's to me is 80, 81 and 82. Those teams were good, you said they weren't good. They could beat anyone and had some big wins. They would have been even better with just an average coach.

Reaction Score
Great point, except that the facts speak otherwise in spades. Herbst as been schooled ten times over, lacks command and the leadership to solve a fundamental issue. A basic understanding of finance and investment likely solves the conference problem, but requires some vision and leadership- none of which Herbst has. Hiring Warde Manuel was pathetic. Big talker out of Buffalo. Has no juice and brings nothing to the table. You don't hire down. You hire up and pay up.

This program is going nowhere and for good reason. There is no burning commitment to excellence. Just lip service.

Where's all the money coming from to hire up as you propose? Do you know about T Boone Pickens type boosters of the program and university that we don't?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes, you were wrong. Early '80's to me is 80, 81 and 82. Those teams were good, you said they weren't good. They could beat anyone and had some big wins. They would have been even better with just an average coach.

Well, since it's basketball, your 80 is the 80-81 season, your 81 is the 81-82 season, so forth. Let's say I just give you that and that it was a misunderstanding between us, your record is still 49-36, or an average record of 16-12. Again, that isn't "middle of the road" to you?? 16-12 three years in a road now for the men's basketball team, and the State of CT Suicide Hotline would be overwhelmed...

Addendum: The Huskies' Big East conference record for those three years was 8-6, 7-7, and 5-11.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, since it's basketball, your 80 is the 80-81 season, your 81 is the 81-82 season, so forth. Let's say I just give you that and that it was a misunderstanding between us, your record is still 49-36, or an average record of 16-12. Again, that isn't "middle of the road" to you?? 16-12 three years in a road now for the men's basketball team, and the State of CT Suicide Hotline would be overwhelmed...

Addendum: The Huskies' Big East conference record for those three years was 8-6, 7-7, and 5-11.

80 is the 79-80 season, over 2/3rds was played in 1980. In those three years (the early-80's) with Corny they were 57-29 playing in a brutal league. And why did you put "middle of the road" in quote. You didn't say that. I'm not saying they were great, I'm saying you were wrong to say they weren't good. They were good. You were just pulling BS out of your ass and I called you on it.

Reaction Score
No, I know nothing about football. Read my posts, I am clueless. I am actually a big cricket fan. But the cricket boards aren't really interesting, so I come to this board to post about a sport I know nothing about. I just found out yesterday that there are 3 point scores in this game. When did that happen? Field goals? Interesting stuff.

You obviously know a ton about football. Probably the most intelligent poster on this board. My new plan is just to read your posts so that I can catch up on this new, wonderful sport. You seem to have a realistic view of this team, and your suggestions for benching and promotions should be pinned to the top of the board. Many would say suggesting a freshman all american running back get less playing time would be crazy talk, but I am going with you there. Oh, and wanting a coach who is currently 0-3 for a Conference USA team? Some might think that is odd. Me? Smartest thing I have read on the internet.

I promise you, I will think long and hard before I offer my opinions on what I see on the field and in the offseason. I don't want anyone here to be turned off by my woeful lack of understanding of the game.

So then maybe you should stick to cricket my friend... Our freshman All American didn't become an All American by himself Mr. Cricket... One thing McCombs doesn't do is break tackles or create his own yards... Our O-Line last year was a better run block o-line that produced an All American back... imagine if our 166lbs McCombs was able to actually break a tackle how much more yards he would of had... Let's not give McCombs all the credit for getting yards the o-line gave him last year... And just because he was a Freshman All American doesn't mean you give him all the carries and bench all the other backs... obviously he isn't producing anything on the field this year... the yards he has this year, again, was given by the o-line... he doesn't break tackles and earn his yards...

Reaction Score
Good. Once we I admit the problem, we're I'm one step closer to a cure.

I fixed it for you. ^^^^^^

Your hate for all things UConn shows in every one of your posts. I never remember seeing you around during the good times adding value to the board.

Who ever p.issed you off at UConn take it up with them. Your act is old. Anyone who blames Warde and Herbst for this coaching debacle is an idiot.

Reaction Score
Well you necessarily don't need the best recruits, but decent recruiting will do wonders with great coaching. Calhoun did it in basketball from 1986-2012.
Stop using Calhoun to make your point. In 2010 and 2011 there were many here who said he should retire.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Geez that was like 4 pages of thread ago man, I left the conversation a while ago.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
80 is the 79-80 season, over 2/3rds was played in 1980. In those three years (the early-80's) with Corny they were 57-29 playing in a brutal league. And why did you put "middle of the road" in quote. You didn't say that. I'm not saying they were great, I'm saying you were wrong to say they weren't good. They were good. You were just pulling BS out of your ass and I called you on it.

You're the one pulling bs out of your ass, if you want to consider the 79 season as part of the early 80's!!! Jesus, are you kidding me?? Also, I said, again, "they weren't good but they weren't bad." Is that not the definition of 'middle of the road'??? Holy wow, dude. Go take a laxative and let it all out, would ya?

Addendum: Perhaps I went a little too far with the "laxative" comment, Waquoit. You're a good poster. I should probably lay off the whiskey after UConn losses. I wrote the addendum in national flag blue so that you knew I was trying to send you some Husky love right here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom