This is what UConn football has become? | The Boneyard

This is what UConn football has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

Talk about hitting the breaks on progress. We have zero right to harp on cuse, Maryland or BCU... Uconn is no. HCPP gets solid GPA's and pushes comminuty service ... Guess what that doesn't win games. I really liked what I saw out of Davis and Whitmer. The Oline is garbage ...the play calling is garbage... The running game is the worst thin I've seen since the rent opened. I'm sure people on here will point out positives and say give it time... They need their recruits blah blah. Why did it take falling behind to WMU to utilize Davis? Why the hell did we ever use the wild cat again?

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Hate to be chicken little and the sky is falling but man did everything just take a huge turn for the worse? Buffalo next wk another scare coming at ya!

Reaction Score
Here we go again. We'll have a new coach before PP gets an extension if this level of play continues.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well I don't know. Usually a FBB post with time running out in the fourth quarter is easy to take issue with... but I really don't know which way this program is headed so I think it's fair game to ask all those questions. For sure, fans have been wondering about Foley's role on the OL being taken away. Maybe the improvement in the passing game was a symptom of the OL doing better, I'm not an expert... but there were still breakdowns in the second half. We hear that the DeLeone scheme is complex and difficult for the OL - if it doesn't get better and soon I have no problem telling PP to go in another direction for OC. Though it probably won't happen till the end of the season.

Running game - all this season I've been waiting for LM to make the opposing defense look bad, he had one play today where he bounced outside and got a good chunk of yards, and a couple other good gains but that was it. Ankle tackle after ankle tackle - and this has been happening all season. No wonder boneyarders are calling for another back to come in. We need someone with the strenght to not get taken down by ankle tackles. Wish Shoemate could have been the guy, and apparently the coaches don't trust Hyppolite, Williams or deLorenzo enough but at some point you have to get a few plays for them.

On defense - Carder looked like he had zero problems dealing with the blitz. Zero. We did miss Joseph, a bit more rush might have got to carder once or twice. But that would not have been enough. If the QB isn't under pressure then the playmakers get the ball in good spots and it's harder for the secondary / LBs to make plays on the ball, force turnovers etc.

We're a third of the way through season 2, and I don't know where this program is headed.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when a programs worries more that former Head Coach Randy Edsall didn't say bye-bye to a bunch of grown men (aka, the 2010 Fiesta Bowl Huskies) and less about the geriatric, over the hill, mediorce at best incoming HC. There were other, better candidates out there.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when a programs worries more that former Head Coach Randy Edsall didn't say bye-bye to a bunch of grown men (aka, the 2010 Fiesta Bowl Huskies) and less about the geriatric, over the hill, mediorce at best incoming HC. There were other, better candidates out there.

Name them... (and please don't start w/ Mike Leach and R-Rod as they were too radioactive @ the time). Remember the time frame we are talking about.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Name them... (and please don't start w/ Mike Leach and R-Rod as they were too radioactive @ the time). Remember the time frame we are talking about.

Anyone who think R-Rod or Leach were even interested in the UConn job is crazy. We all want to believe that any head coach would LOVE to coach at UConn but look at the situation you enter. You play in a mid-level conference, not tons of fan support, and poor recruiting grounds. We are lucky to get up and coming coordinators and hope they stick for a few years. However, your point is the accurate, there weren't many people lining up to take over as we'd like to believe I'd imagine.

Reaction Score
Anyone who think R-Rod or Leach were even interested in the UConn job is crazy. We all want to believe that any head coach would LOVE to coach at UConn but look at the situation you enter. You play in a mid-level conference, not tons of fan support, and poor recruiting grounds. We are lucky to get up and coming coordinators and hope they stick for a few years. However, your point is the accurate, there weren't many people lining up to take over as we'd like to believe I'd imagine.
If freaking Boise State can succeed, so can we. CT is much more desirable a location than freaking Idaho.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who. All that matters is that PP and his staff can't coach football.

Reaction Score
Gus Malzahn? My only concern about him is how well our defense would hold up under him. Defense is a tradition of ours.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Gus Malzahn? My only concern about him is how well our defense would hold up under him. Defense is a tradition of ours.

Getting lit up for 30 points against a MAC team isn't good "traditional" defense. We need to get back to our roots.

Reaction Score
Medic, I'm too fried to do the research, but. . . .Garrick McGee and Addazio are the first names that comes to mind, and if you go to the I-A stats for 2010 and look at top 20 offense and defenses you look at coordinators. It's not that hard. I don't want to hear any excuses about 'time frame'. That's why ADs make more money than what they should. The Arkansas AD screwed up hiring John L Smith, and JH made a two-times-worse mistake.

Reaction Score
Mario Cristobal

Never expressed interest or interviewed.... and I don't disagree w/ the name/thought. He was on my list @ the time (not that I had a real say ;))

Reaction Score
Getting lit up for 30 points against a MAC team isn't good "traditional" defense. We need to get back to our roots.
What ? Last week everyone was saying our defense was top 10 in the country. Are you saying Don Brown is a problem ?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
What ? Last week everyone was saying our defense was top 10 in the country. Are you saying Don Brown is a problem ?

No. It's not Don Brown. We had no energy and played flat. We need to get back to our smashmouth, stick-it-to-em' defense. I didn't see that today.

Reaction Score

"Garrick McGee"

McGee was named the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Razorbacks prior to the 2010 season and helped lead them to a 10–3 record and an appearance in the 2011 Sugar Bowl. Arkansas' offense finished 8th in the nation, averaging 489 yards per game. The Razorbacks were also fourth in passing offense and 14th in scoring offense (37.3 ppg).

I think he was a candidate for the job with some other coaches, but the staff hired PP instead...

Reaction Score
Medic, I'm too fried to do the research, but. . . .Garrick McGee and Addazio are the first names that comes to mind, and if you go to the I-A stats for 2010 and look at top 20 offense and defenses you look at coordinators. It's not that hard. I don't want to hear any excuses about 'time frame'. That's why ADs make more money than what they should. The Arkansas AD screwed up hiring John L Smith, and JH made a two-times-worse mistake.

I am a huge Addazio supporter, and I am 100% positive he would be the head coach if not for the horrific timing of it all. Addazzio accepted the Temple job before UCONN's position came open. I feel he was the scapegoat at Florida. He is a great recruiter and a fiery, passionate head coach. You want local ties like Coach P (not that that has done anything for in state recruiting)? Addazio was the head coach at Cheshire High once upon a time as well.

When P leaves, my top choice is Addazio. The question is, would he leave Temple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom