This is what UConn football has become? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

This is what UConn football has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think some of the Boneyarders have lost their minds now. I know that was a maddening loss, but let's get real for a second here! The man couldn't win at cuse??? He is the winningest coach in Big East history, and the vast majority of those wins were at cuse!!!

Syracuse Orange (Big East) (1991–2004)​
1991 Syracuse 10–2 5–0 ‡ W Hall of Fame
11​
11​
1992 Syracuse 10–2 6–1 ‡ W Fiesta
7​
6​
1993 Syracuse 6–4–1 3–4 5th
1994 Syracuse 7–4 4–3 T–3rd
1995 Syracuse 9–3 5–2 3rd W Gator
16​
19​
1996 Syracuse 9–3 6–1 T–1st W Liberty
19​
21​
1997 Syracuse 9–4 6–1 1st L Fiesta
20​
21​
1998 Syracuse 8–4 6–1 1st L Orange
24​
25​
1999 Syracuse 7–5 3–4 T–3rd W Music City
2000 Syracuse 6–5 4–3 T–3rd
2001 Syracuse 10–3 6–1 2nd W Insight.com
14​
14​
2002 Syracuse 4–8 2–5 T–6th
2003 Syracuse 6–6 2–5 T–6th
2004 Syracuse 6–6 4–2 T–1st L Champs Sports
Syracuse:
107–59–1 73–34 ‡ The Big East did not begin full round–robin play until 1993

And to think that someon said "Amen" to your comment means that the loss today has sent multiple Boneyarders haywire...

Obviously your right about the win and losses. My point is we hired a guy on the downside of his career. 2002 to now his record is what? Do you think he will be coaching 3 years from now?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Obviously your right about the win and losses. My point is we hired a guy on the downside of his career. 2002 to now his record is what? Do you think he will be coaching 3 years from now?

Yeah, he was so far on the downside of his career that he was being asked to coach by the Cowboys and the Dolphins. This guy must suck!!! :eek:

As for whether or not he's coaching in three years at UConn, I would say that if he doesn't go 9-3 or better, he's going to be in trouble based on the way this fanbase behaves...

Reaction Score
I wonder what people are going to say when we finish the year 10 - 2.....I can't wait, it is going to be hilarious
First, Flyer, thank you very much for your service. Second, if we win 9 in a row and end up in a decent bowl I will happily pick up a REASONABLE one-night bar tab. Don't see us winning 4 BE road games w/this coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he was so far on the downside of his career that he was being asked to coach by the Cowboys and the Dolphins. This guy must suck!!! :eek:

As for whether or not he's coaching in three years at UConn, I would say that if he doesn't go 9-3 or better, he's going to be in trouble based on the way this fanbase behaves...

Guys he's right. There's no problem. We have them right were we want them. Underestimating us. We will sneak up on them. We will run the wildcat and run to fool them. Look what our offense can do against WMU. We should put up at least 24 against everyone else. Hell WMU is better than everyone left on our schedule. I can sleep soundly knowing that next week we will be a different team. We will run the table and represent the big east.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The Dolphins also asked him to leave. I imagine more politely than this board would ask right now... but he did get canned.

The Cowboys had him coaching tight ends then linebackers. He was interim defensive coordinator for a 6-10 team in 2010.

I'm not quite sure what in that means he can be a head coach in a BCS conference in 2012 - but people seem to think it matters?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Guys he's right. There's no problem. We have them right were we want them. Underestimating us. We will sneak up on them. We will run the wildcat and run to fool them. Look what our offense can do against WMU. We should put up at least 24 against everyone else. Hell WMU is better than everyone left on our schedule. I can sleep soundly knowing that next week we will be a different team. We will run the table and represent the big east.

You will never find a bigger opponent of the wildcat than I am. It is a ridiculous play and breaks the rhythym of the starting QB and OLine. But look what the coaching staff finally figured out late in the third quarter? To give the damned thing up! And finally, our offense looked competent again. Let's hope that Coach P has learned his lesson, even if DeLeone didn't, and we don't see the wildcat very much any more. With our defense being capable of what I know they are capable of (which they didn't show today, let's be honest), and with the offense being capable of what I know they are capable of (which they only started to show in the last two quarters today), then I think we are going to go to a bowl game.

How's this; if we don't go bowling this year, feel free to mock me as much as you want. Cool?

Reaction Score
I'd like to highlight this post as being almost the perfect combination of arrogance and ignorance. We have a ****ty Head Coach, a ****ty AD and a ****ty President but of course we were destined for greatness if we had only followed your plan for success. Well done sir. You are the winner.
Great point, except that the facts speak otherwise in spades. Herbst as been schooled ten times over, lacks command and the leadership to solve a fundamental issue. A basic understanding of finance and investment likely solves the conference problem, but requires some vision and leadership- none of which Herbst has. Hiring Warde Manuel was pathetic. Big talker out of Buffalo. Has no juice and brings nothing to the table. You don't hire down. You hire up and pay up.

This program is going nowhere and for good reason. There is no burning commitment to excellence. Just lip service.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The Dolphins also asked him to leave. I imagine more politely than this board would ask right now... but he did get canned.

The other poster was asking about Pasqualoni after 2002. Clearly the Dolphins hired him after 2002.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Great point, except that the facts speak otherwise in spades. Herbst as been schooled ten times over, lacks command and the leadership to solve a fundamental issue. A basic understanding of finance and investment likely solves the conference problem, but requires some vision and leadership- none of which Herbst has. Hiring Warde Manuel was pathetic. Big talker out of Buffalo. Has no juice and brings nothing to the table. You don't hire down. You hire up and pay up.

This program is going nowhere and for good reason. There is no burning commitment to excellence. Just lip service.

I get that PP shouldn't be coaching this team, I was on that bandwagon from Day 1. I'm not quite sure how anyone could have decided that Manuel is a bad hire yet - because the coach the last guy hired sucks?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How's this; if we don't go bowling this year, feel free to mock me as much as you want. Cool?

If the standard is going bowling, when you can win 6 games by beating UMass, Maryland, Buffalo, Temple and Syracuse and winning 1 other game out of 7... that's a pretty low standard.

Reaction Score

Don't blame fans for a complete debacle, and don't expect unwavering support in the face of at best long term mediocrity. I'd you can beat MAC teams, you're going nowhere. This was an absolute disgrace.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If the standard is going bowling, when you can win 6 games by beating UMass, Maryland, Buffalo, Temple and Syracuse and winning 1 other game out of 7... that's a pretty low standard.

I didn't say they would end up 6-6. I said they were going bowling. Would anyone on the board be shocked if they went 8-4 from here? In fact, I remember many on the board predicting that before we ever played a down this year.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Don't blame fans for a complete debacle, and don't expect unwavering support in the face of at best long term mediocrity. I'd you can beat MAC teams, you're going nowhere. This was an absolute disgrace.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. I suck, UConn sucks, Warde Manuel sucks, Susan Herbst sucks, Pasqualoni sucks, and Connecticut sucks. Thanks...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't say they would end up 6-6. I said they were going bowling. Would anyone on the board be shocked if they went 8-4 from here? In fact, I remember many on the board predicting that before we ever played a down this year.

Yes, everyone should be shocked if they went 8-4. Shocked would probably be an understatement.

You didn't say they would be 8-4, you said they would go bowling. Which is a ridiculously low standard for a team with Moore, Smallwood, Gratz, BBW and Trevardo Williams.

Reaction Score

Now that is on target. PP was a bad hire from the minute it was announced. Just taking too many fans too long to figure this out.

Reaction Score
You will never find a bigger opponent of the wildcat than I am. It is a ridiculous play and breaks the rhythym of the starting QB and OLine. But look what the coaching staff finally figured out late in the third quarter? To give the damned thing up! And finally, our offense looked competent again. Let's hope that Coach P has learned his lesson, even if DeLeone didn't, and we don't see the wildcat very much any more. With our defense being capable of what I know they are capable of (which they didn't show today, let's be honest), and with the offense being capable of what I know they are capable of (which they only started to show in the last two quarters today), then I think we are going to go to a bowl game.

Let me apologize sorry i should not be mocking you. You are a fan as i am and I'm sure you want the program to be successful. My frustration comes from the lack of respect we get across the country when it comes to sports.

When i played in 84 there was talk of going D1
We were bottom dwellers in basketball a laughing stock. I watch games in the field house losing to teams that might not be even playing basketball now. I remember my dear friend Ray Braxton (passed away) missing wide open dunks falling on his back. (We had good parties).

We have won 3 national championships played OK in the fiesta bowl and get no respect.

We have to demand our respect take it by winning. That's why I'm upset.

That's what fans do

Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah, we get it. I suck, UConn sucks, Warde Manuel sucks, Susan Herbst sucks, Pasqualoni sucks, and Connecticut sucks. Thanks...
Good. Once we admit the problem, we're one step closer to a cure.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes, everyone should be shocked if they went 8-4. Shocked would probably be an understatement.

You didn't say they would be 8-4, you said they would go bowling. Which is a ridiculously low standard for a team with Moore, Smallwood, Gratz, BBW and Trevardo Williams.

Here we go again, Whaler. You're killing me. I never said they would go 6-6. Period. And people shouldn't be shocked if this team goes 8-4, or better even. This defense struggled against Carder last year, and it did against him this year. But tell me the QB outside of Bridgewater in this league that has that capability?? Nobody else is scoring on us the way they did, and that is why I believe we'll still have a successful season...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Let me apologize sorry i should not be mocking you. You are a fan as i am and I'm sure you want the program to be successful. My frustration comes from the lack of respect we get across the country when it comes to sports.

We were bottom dwellers in basketball a laughing stock. I watch games in the field house losing to teams that might not be even playing basketball now. I remember my dear friend Ray Braxton (passed away) missing wide open dunks falling on his back. (We had good parties).

We have won 3 national championships played OK in the fiesta bowl and get no respect.

That's what fans do

Thanks for laying the foundation. I often wonder what it's like for the former players to watch this, knowing what their public answers are.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

That's what fans do

That's fair. I would argue that I am demanding respect. I demand it of our opponents, and I demand it of our supporters. I remember the old Dom Perno teams of the early 80's. They weren't good, but they weren't bad, either. They happened to play in the Big East, unfortunately, at a time when players like Chris Mullins and Patrick Ewing were dominating the scene. Our players had talent, like Earl Kelley, but we didn't have enough talent to beat the likes of GTown, Syracuse, or St. John's back then. I think the reason everyone is taking this loss so hard today is that we DID have the talent to beat them. But we didn't have so much more talent than them as to say that we could play our C game and expect to beat their A game, right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here we go again, Whaler. You're killing me. I never said they would go 6-6. Period. And people shouldn't be shocked if this team goes 8-4, or better even. This defense struggled against Carder last year, and it did against him this year. But tell me the QB outside of Bridgewater in this league that has that capability?? Nobody else is scoring on us the way they did, and that is why I believe we'll still have a successful season...

How am I killing you? You said if they don't go bowling. I gave you what a laughable standard that is. Did you not mean what you said?

My opinion of this team isn't just based on this debacle. It's based on the cumulative total of debacles.

Better than 8-4? What have you possibly seen from this team that would even make you think for a second they could be better than 8-4? Sure, because there are 8 games left they could go 10-2. This team is not good. Could it get better? I guess... but they can't block for , so their upside is pretty limited by that fact.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
How am I killing you? You said if they don't go bowling. I gave you what a laughable standard that is. Did you not mean what you said?

My opinion of this team isn't just based on this debacle. It's based on the cumulative total of debacles.

Better than 8-4? What have you possibly seen from this team that would even make you think for a second they could be better than 8-4? Sure, because there are 8 games left they could go 10-2. This team is not good. Could it get better? I guess... but they can't block for ****, so their upside is pretty limited by that fact.

First of all, stop getting into semantics arguments that are unnecessary. I'm telling you they will do better than 6-6. Enough. Mark it down so you don't forget it.

Secondly, what have I seen that tells me we could be better than 8-4? Here's what:

1) The offense can move the ball when not disrupted by the wildcat, and I expect they will do so in the future.
2) The defense will not give up 30 (24 was on them) against any team for the rest of the year. Today was an abomination.
3) I saw USF lose to Ball State, Pitt lose to Youngstown State, Temple lose to a Maryland team that we beat, Syracuse almost lose to Stony Brook, and a Louisville team struggling with FIU. Tell me the game that we cannot win in this league with our roster "as-is"?

How's that for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc