This is what UConn football has become? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This is what UConn football has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Medic, I'm too fried to do the research, but. . . .Garrick McGee and Addazio are the first names that comes to mind, and if you go to the I-A stats for 2010 and look at top 20 offense and defenses you look at coordinators. It's not that hard. I don't want to hear any excuses about 'time frame'. That's why ADs make more money than what they should. The Arkansas AD screwed up hiring John L Smith, and JH made a two-times-worse mistake.

I agree w/ McGee and his name came up but don't beleive he expressed interest or interviewed, Addazio coached w/ Pasqualoni. Bradley from PSU?? I guess my point is what was better expressed above by UCFB... those who we'd like and can afford and those who will come are two separate things.

Reaction Score
The PP hire was to develop inroads to the New England/tri-state high school community. Now we need someone to take us to the next step.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
"Garrick McGee"

McGee was named the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Razorbacks prior to the 2010 season and helped lead them to a 10–3 record and an appearance in the 2011 Sugar Bowl. Arkansas' offense finished 8th in the nation, averaging 489 yards per game. The Razorbacks were also fourth in passing offense and 14th in scoring offense (37.3 ppg).

I think he was a candidate for the job with some other coaches, but the staff hired PP instead...

He was an unproven head coach at that point. If someone said to most AD's in the nation at that time, "You can have an NFL guy who was highly successful at Syracuse and knows the northeast / is a CT guy, or you can have a good college coordinator that may or may not be able to do the job," what do you think most people would do??

Reaction Score
"Garrick McGee"

McGee was named the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Razorbacks prior to the 2010 season and helped lead them to a 10–3 record and an appearance in the 2011 Sugar Bowl. Arkansas' offense finished 8th in the nation, averaging 489 yards per game. The Razorbacks were also fourth in passing offense and 14th in scoring offense (37.3 ppg).

I think he was a candidate for the job with some other coaches, but the staff hired PP instead...

Do we know if he would be an improvement over Coach P? He had no head coaching experience, and as the old adage goes, Offense wins games, Defense wins championships.

Coach McGee did get a head coaching job. At UAB. Where he has started 0-3.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The PP hire was to develop inroads to the New England/tri-state high school community. Now we need someone to take us to the next step.

If you want to compete at a high level, you need to stretch your recruiting into the south. When was the last time a team from the northeast was relevant while recruiting within 100 miles?

Reaction Score

No argument...

Hey I'm as frustrated as the next guy. I'm also a realist and not a dreamer. Calhoun and Auriemma were very lucky hires that panned out beyond belief.

Reaction Score
What I like about PP hire was the Don Brown hire... Now that D. Brown is here we should start looking at him for the Head coaching position... if not get rid of PP and DeLeone

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
The bottom line is DeLeon has no idea how to run this offense. You need to work around your weaknesses. Running the ball 75% at our awful O-Line is not working around weaknesses.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you want to compete at a high level, you need to stretch your recruiting into the south. When was the last time a team from the northeast was relevant while recruiting within 100 miles?

That's a somewhat ridiculous statement, to be honest. Do you think that Ohio State isn't midwest-heavy, or that Wisconsin isn't midwest-heavy?? Do you think that we don't have players on our team from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, and Texas?? Wow...

Reaction Score
The bottom line is DeLeon has no idea how to run this offense. You need to work around your weaknesses. Running the ball 75% at our awful O-Line is not working around weaknesses.

If O Line is our weakness, then passing and running will suffer. And it has. I think our weakness is our current talent level on offense, personally.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
If O Line is our weakness, then passing and running will suffer. And it has. I think our weakness is our current talent level on offense, personally.

Oh 100%. Even though Whitmer had a good game today, his decision making skills are that of a high school QB. The O-Line is terrible. The WR's can't catch when they hear footsteps. The OC is bad.

But hey, we're a basketball school.

Reaction Score

Sorry, Butch, the PP hire was so JH could get to bed before 9. There is almost zero correlation between good relationships with Connecticut/NY/NJ coaches and winning at UConn. If we happen to pick off a Trevardo who will play in the league that's gravy. But being buds with Marinelli, Albonizio, Petroccio, Fillipone - all GREAT HS coaches - is not going to guarantee success at this level. This is not Goodfellas.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Butch, the PP hire was so JH could get to bed before 9. There is almost zero correlation between good relationships with Connecticut/NY/NJ coaches and winning at UConn. If we happen to pick off a Trevardo who will play in the league that's gravy. But being buds with Marinelli, Albonizio, Petroccio, Fillipone - all GREAT HS coaches - is not going to guarantee success at this level. This is not Goodfellas.

You left out Cochran....

Reaction Score
Oh 100%. Even though Whitmer had a good game today, his decision making skills are that of a high school QB. The O-Line is terrible. The WR's can't catch when they hear footsteps. The OC is bad.

I see some progress in Whitmer, I really do. He made some absolutely perfect throws in the intermediate range. One would have hit Shakim Phillips in stride and he tripped over his own feet. The other was a completion to Geremy Davis.

What concerns me about Whitmer right now is two extremely important things:
1. He locks on to one receiver. Every play. I have never seen him scan the field. And when he sees his receiver covered he freaks out,
2. His footwork is beyond atrocious. I would say he throws 50% of his passes off his back foot. I rarely see him step into throws. And it's not just because of pressure.

Footwork is correctable. But he needs alot of work on reading a defense.

I have completely given up on his long ball skills. He can't throw an accurate ball over 25 yards.

O Line is a train wreck right now. Mental lapses (how many false starts do they have this season?), the interior of the line is getting abused regularly.

Receiver's should be able to do one thing above all else - Catch the ball. Ours have trouble with that. Geremy Davis looks like an All Big East performer one play, and on the next play he looks like a back up for a NESCAC Schhol. Coming back to the ball is a fundamental football lesson. But something he does not do.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Our offense hasn't been a threat since the days of Lorenzen. Needless to say, I think we need a scrambling quarterback.

Reaction Score

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/conn-m-footbl-coaches.html
Maybe we need a new WRs coach. According to the UConn website WR coach is also the recruiting coordinator...could explain why WRs suck and we haven't recruited anyone.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Not to pick on you, but here are guys on our current 2-deep that are south of the Mason-Dixon line:

Virginia: Bennett, Friend
North Carolina: Moore
Georgia: Whitmer, Davis, Ashiru, Stephenson, Mack, Adams, Hemingway
Texas: Smith, Bockeloh
Alabama: Johnson
Florida: St. Louis

Not to mention that we have plenty of people who were recruited well outside of the 100 mile radius that you are talking about (plenty of PA, MD, OH). So I'm not sure which northeastern team you're complaining about, but it ain't us...

Edit: I forgot that Maryland was south of the Mason-Dixon, so add Masters and Willman to that list...

Reaction Score
Just absolutely pathetic. This has to be another of too many low points. PP is tired and old and has to go. Warde Manuel from the powerhouse Buffalo ain't the key to bringing us to the next level and is another half ass hire along with the other clown over her head, Herbst. UConn is just not serious about this program and it shows. Small thinkers, hiring small people, accepting mediocrity. Totally sick of this crap.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Just absolutely pathetic. This has to be another of too many low points. PP is tired and old and has to go. Warde Manuel from the powerhouse Buffalo ain't the key to bringing us to the next level and is another half ass hire along with the other clown over her head, Herbst. UConn is just not serious about this program and it shows. Small thinkers, hiring small people, accepting mediocrity. Totally sick of this crap.

We need a Jim Calhoun-type football coach. Which the odds are 1 in a million.

Reaction Score
Do we know if he would be an improvement over Coach P? He had no head coaching experience, and as the old adage goes, Offense wins games, Defense wins championships.

Coach McGee did get a head coaching job. At UAB. Where he has started 0-3.

Our Defense is great and I don't think we are winning any championships over here Mr. Huskysupporter

So because he doesn't have any HC experience you don't give him the opportunity to be one?

We have better talent here than UAB just saying...

Reaction Score

Or even the West

Reaction Score
Our offense hasn't been a threat since the days of Lorenzen. Needless to say, I think we need a scrambling quarterback.
One of today's many head-scratchers is why we seemingly abandoned the rollout that worked so well on the very first play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom