OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and cuz sumone here dissed country, so, rebuttal, kinda sorta on topic? boneyard artistic license and all that...

play it. LOUD.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Quicksilver Messenger Service - pretty talented group back in the 70's, one of the members did prison time for some infraction, and wrote a pretty good song about it all:

Great band. Happy Trails was and is a fantastic album. Thanks for reminding us. :)

Reaction Score
I thought this might be an interesting angle to take music wise. I'm sure you have a favorite song(s) that just might fit into these categories. I'll kick it off with a beautiful acoustic tune from the mid 70's by a really obscure artist by the name of Brian Friel:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I know this song as a Brooks & Dunn hit. The original sounds great. The remake barely bothered to change anything from this version.
I think Three Dog Night made the most well known recording But the original artist's take is very nice.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I know this band has popped up on quite a few song threads. Maybe I didn't listen close enough before. This song is wonderful!
Steeleye Span has done fantastic music. I am a Span fan

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I remember Peter, Paul ,and Mary doing this one years ago. I think it was on "In The Wind" . I read then that the original song was about a horse named Skewball who won many races in the mid 1700s in Ireland. He was apparently a skewbald horse of black and white coloring. Not sure how the name morphed, but folk songs often do that.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Richard and Mimi Farina made two absolutely fabulous albums before his untimely demise at the age of 29. Mimi, Joan Baez's younger sister, passed at 56. They're responsible for me getting into folk music and playing and building mountain dulcimers. This is an achingly beautiful song:

Here is one for@Bigboote featuring Joan and Mimi together. It did not happen often.

JOAN BAEZ & MIMI FARINA "Catch The Wind"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Three Dog Night made the most well known recording But the original artist's take is very nice.
I'm not sure about that. I don't recall a TDN version and can't find it on Spotify.

Reaction Score
They had some big hits in the U.S. in the late 90s/early 2000s. Runaway and Breathless were all over radio and MTV/VH1 back then.
Ah, good to know - gotta admit my interest in MTV, etc vanished quite a while ago. :D:D

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
my interest in MTV, etc vanished quite a while ago. :D:D

There's almost no Music in Music Tele Vision anymore, and what little bit they play is mostly rap.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Old? Obscure? Forgotten? Oh. I though you were talking about us boneyarders, and that we had to pick one of the three titles to best describe ourselves. Only one?

I think that I have the winner. On the B side of the classic "Please Mr. Custer" by Larry Verne, "The Okeefenokee two step," includes (0:37) the seminal line "Now give me a big basketball."

Reaction Score
There's almost no Music in Music Tele Vision anymore, and what little bit they play is mostly rap.
Yea, can't agree more - what's out there in the "mainstream" now is horrid and actually, well, pretty damn putrid IMHO! :(

Reaction Score
I thought this might be an interesting angle to take music wise. I'm sure you have a favorite song(s) that just might fit into these categories. I'll kick it off with a beautiful acoustic tune from the mid 70's by a really obscure artist by the name of Brian Friel:

well I know you only had it on Vinyl originaly. I have over 2000 of those and about 1500 cd's. Mostly from late 60's till early 90's but mostly classic rock and art rock.

Reaction Score
In keeping with Derby weekend, Chestnut Mare by the Byrds.

This song was supposed to be part of a concept album about the american west. Sort of a musical Remington painting.

Reaction Score
If you might like beautiful, rhythmic, pulsating jazz, you might just like this one by the German jazz band Guru Guru. I heard it late one night on a jazz show many years ago on a Boulder, Colorado FM station - KBCO:

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned Icelandic music,. and I remembered that there was a band I found maybe a year ago that I really liked. Unfortunatel, their name got pushed out of my brain by more crucial stuff. So I did some research and did not find them. However, I did find Seabear, which (fortunately) sings in English. To say they are mellow is a colossal understatement, but they are good ina quirky way. "Cold Summer" is one of their more peppy numbers. You can check it out here.
Seabear music, videos, stats, and photos | Last.fm

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stevenson also wrote this song, another big hit. I prefer his original as well.
Actually Stevenson didn't write the song. Daniel Moore did. Moore actually co-wrote the other song My Maria with Stevenson also.

My favorite version of Shambala.

Shambala - Rockapella

Reaction Score
Back from my "rebellious" high school days.

This song came out in the early 70's but it was popular with my friends as some of them had older siblings and they got a hold of their LP's. Since most pop music of the mid 70's was pretty bad, we all got into FM rock as a viable alternative.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom