OT: The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this one's dedicated to fellow by'er the inkmeister. but he's neither old, obscure, nor forgotten. lol.

Reaction Score
FYI- I should have stated - a song that fits into ONE of these categories, doesn't have to be in all three. :D

Bonzo Dog Band, The Urban Spaceman - I used to hear them on Radio Luxembourg back in the late 60's when I was stationed in Spain in the Air Force - great tune.
Here is one, no video, that fits all three: Hank Thompson and his Brazo Valley boys: Smokey the Bar. (you may need to be an Okie to get this one)

Or, same guy: I lost my pony on the reservation-(a cowboys life is my occupation) In the Oklahoma hills where I was born.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had a perfect candidate but it was too ............. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Obscure, right up my alley. I have to give credit to Pandora for discovering much of the stuff I listen to. This one even has a perfect name for this category.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've seen this band twice in clubs with capacity of a couple hundred, so that gives you some idea.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Saw this band at one of those same tiny clubs. Unfortunately the singer was too shy or too stoned or something, she had zero stage presence. The performance in this clip is much better than when I saw them live.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I can't even remember how I stumbled onto this guy, I think it predated internet. Somehow I found music before Pandora, you tube, etc. Saw him once way back when.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Local from Seattle. I saw her a bunch of times, then she moved to Texas, then she moved back but I think she retired from the music biz. Old school country that Nashville was never interested in. Their loss.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Richard and Mimi Farina made two absolutely fabulous albums before his untimely demise at the age of 29. Mimi, Joan Baez's younger sister, passed at 56. They're responsible for me getting into folk music and playing and building mountain dulcimers. This is an achingly beautiful song:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another that Nashville never embraced. She was much better than many of the mainstream country artists in the mid 90s.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Warning: this twangs HARD. It's kind of like a hardcore Indigo Girls that hardly anyone has heard of.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
First exposed to this group from a cameo on the HBO series Roadies. I like plenty of their songs, this one in particular is magic.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've got a non mainstream country theme going on. For the most part I gave up on what Nashville churns out a LONG time ago. Plenty of stuff they ignore is really good. Saw this lady last year, fantastic show.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe obscure isn't quite right. One of their videos is up to 12 million views on you tube now (after years of hardly having any though). But I feel like they are quite a bit less well known than many of the other Euro goth/symphonic metal bands, which is already a niche genre. This singer has a witchy voice, I mean that in the best possible way. She actually portrays a witch about to burned at the stake in another video. I think she's a siren here. I could think of worse ways of being lured to my death...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This song dates back to the 12th century or so, the first known text was in Latin:

I know this band has popped up on quite a few song threads. Maybe I didn't listen close enough before. This song is wonderful!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
My favorite song from a guy who wrote a bunch of touching songs before his death also at 39.

I know this song as a Brooks & Dunn hit. The original sounds great. The remake barely bothered to change anything from this version.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Maybe obscure isn't quite right. One of their videos is up to 12 million views on you tube now (after years of hardly having any though). But I feel like they are quite a bit less well known than many of the other Euro goth/symphonic metal bands, which is already a niche genre. This singer has a witchy voice, I mean that in the best possible way. She actually portrays a witch about to burned at the stake in another video. I think she's a siren here. I could think of worse ways of being lured to my death...

This EP is fairly recent; I wonder if it's gotten them more exposure. I really like them, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom