OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and the Forgotten

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This EP is fairly recent; I wonder if it's gotten them more exposure. I really like them, too.

I think it just took them a long time to build some momentum. Until Eternity exploded at some point. I kept being stunned at how few views it had every time I watched it, but that's not the case now. Not sure exactly when that one caught on. It was posted about 3 1/2 years ago.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know this song as a Brooks & Dunn hit. The original sounds great. The remake barely bothered to change anything from this version.
Stevenson also wrote this song, another big hit. I prefer his original as well.

Reaction Score
I thought this might be an interesting angle to take music wise. I'm sure you have a favorite song(s) that just might fit into these categories. I'll kick it off with a beautiful acoustic tune from the mid 70's by a really obscure artist by the name of Brian Friel:

Don't know if anyone has an interest in Brian Joseph Friel (as opposed to Brian Friel, whp was a famous Irish playwright) but he put out an album last year and this was on it. Also pretty good music.
20 Minutes, by Brian Joseph Friel
Further research turned up the fact that he recently had a stroke, and any revenue from his music goes to his care.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think it just took them a long time to build some momentum. Until Eternity exploded at some point. I kept being stunned at how few views it had every time I watched it, but that's not the case now. Not sure exactly when that one caught on. It was posted about 3 1/2 years ago.
Ronnie Dunn resisted doing this song for quite awhile because he said he didn't want to "Sound like a girl". Go figure.

Reaction Score
Old, obscure, forgotten? That's my bio in a nutshell.

Let's go back to Britain, around 1989. Layyydeez anna gennulmin,
The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band...

I actually think I heard this one.
Once. Thankfully, only once. There's a reason it and the band are obscure.

Reaction Score
This song dates back to the 12th century or so, the first known text was in Latin:

I actually had this album and really like the band. Had forgotten all about this song.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Another one that remains one of my favorites. Roooooooooooooooooooooooooollllll another one.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Some cute kids doing kind of a retro surf rock thing I think.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ronnie Dunn resisted doing this song for quite awhile because he said he didn't want to "Sound like a girl". Go figure.

Quoted the wrong post I think. :rolleyes:

JordyG

Reaction Score
This guy was headed for the Mount Rushmore of horn players until his untimely death at 27. This one is classic.

Reaction Score
Hokay, mon, one more then I’ll shut up for awhile. This is a symphonic metal band from Bosnia. The vocalist is spectacular.

I sorta like it. Symnphonic heavy metal, Why not?

Reaction Score
My favorite song from a guy who wrote a bunch of touching songs before his death also at 39.

I like this song, but it was hardly obscure. It got a ton a play in New England back in the day.

Reaction Score
Genya Ravan and Ten Wheel Drive.

Back in the time when Blood, Sweat and Tears was new and jazz rock was a thing, there was Genya Ravan, who (if you look it up) had quite a history as a pathfinder in women's rock and roll. Anyway, they were on tour and played my college ballroom back in 1970 and I was blown away by them. Probably the first concert where I really connected to the music.
They cut a couple of albums but never got anywhere.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I sorta like it. Symnphonic heavy metal, Why not?

That's quite a wormhole to go down. There are a bunch of bands in this genre. Within Temptation is one of my favorites, a good place to start.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Discovered this band too late. It was originally twin sisters and a guy. One of the sisters left, then the guy died way too young from cancer. The remaining member put out one final album after the guy died, they had a bunch of material that was almost ready that she finished up. The record I think was a love letter and goodbye to her musical soul mate.

Reaction Score
Most people do not know Samantha Sang.
"Emotion" is a song written by Barry and Robin Gibb. It was first recorded by Australian singer Samantha Sang, whose version reached number three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1978. The Bee Gees recorded their own version of the song in 1994 as part of an album called Love Songs which was never released but it was eventually included on their 2001 collection titled Their Greatest Hits: The Record .

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Perhaps not too well known on this side of the puddle, these crazies had much success for many decades in the U.K.

Half my household hails from Willy Shakespear territory, and we both get a good larf from this-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom