The next step for the program | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The next step for the program

What should we do?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
We can't play baseball in the Sunbelt. We can only play outside the Big East in sports the Big East doesn't offer.
That’s your problem right there. Someone asks a screwball question, the clown car pulls up and everyone jumps out to answer and then you bring a frigging factual argument to the party!

Reaction Score
let’s sweet talk Nova, Georgetown, and Butler to jump to FBS by 2030 to pave way to BigEast football via Independent. Next,ACC dies. Big East steals Cuse, Pitt, BC, & Puke. Throws invite to ECU, Temple, and Memphis.

FB members:
UConn
Nova
Georgetown
Butler
Cuse
Pitt
BC
Puke
ECU
Temple
Memphis

This will never happen. I suppose a guy can dream…

Reaction Score
Our football has no brand.
That is Inaccurate - I mean were you there at the beginning of the season with over 30K in attendance?

I wonder about some people that post here that make it sound like were at the lowest level of football in D 1. From a performance standpoint, maybe… But from fan interest and brand, we are anything but.

What most don’t want to talk about here is underperforming coaches, underperforming players.

We win, people’s show up. That isn’t true for many D 1 program because their fans really don’t care.

Mora made some promises and they have not come through. He has a year to make something happen but if not, we may want to look to re-start as the Paul Pasqualoni experiment may be over.

It is the zest and commitment to win that eludes our team. You see it in the 4th quarter over and over again, somethings missing. It might be the talent we lost from transfers, maybe coaching, maybe players but something has got to change.

I hope this year is distant memory next year but people that want to lump us in with no brand - don’t agree. We have brand - lots of it. What we need is the worst way is winning. And whether it’s the players, the coaches. Something will have to change in 1 year time if this ship doesn’t turnaround. Forget re-load as a complete re-start / turnover may be coming…

Reaction Score
With our national brand, I’m surprised that we have not been able to secure our own TV contract from Apple or the CW. I guess we have overstated our national appeal. That said, we need to play 10 P4 games to be a legit program and to attract an Apple or CW to broadcast our home games.
You say we are nothing and then everything every other week. Uconn doesn't nearly as much pull as people want to believe

Reaction Score
That is Inaccurate - I mean were you there at the beginning of the season with over 30K in attendance?

I wonder about some people that post here that make it sound like were at the lowest level of football in D 1. From a performance standpoint, maybe… But from fan interest and brand, we are anything but.

What most don’t want to talk about here is underperforming coaches, underperforming players.

We win, people’s show up. That isn’t true for many D 1 program because their fans really don’t care.

Mora made some promises and they have not come through. He has a year to make something happen but if not, we may want to look to re-start as the Paul Pasqualoni experiment may be over.

It is the zest and commitment to win that eludes our team. You see it in the 4th quarter over and over again, somethings missing. It might be the talent we lost from transfers, maybe coaching, maybe players but something has got to change.

I hope this year is distant memory next year but people that want to lump us in with no brand - don’t agree. We have brand - lots of it. What we need is the worst way is winning. And whether it’s the players, the coaches. Something will have to change in 1 year time if this ship doesn’t turnaround. Forget re-load as a complete re-start / turnover may be coming…
There is something called a brand equity pyramid that helps any company understand where they are the brand building process.

Every one knows we play Div 1 football.
Every one knows we have had sporadic success but many traditional football schools don’t respect us - part of it is basketball envy. We are the most dominant men’s womens BB team this century and other schools are probably sick of it.

Our football team in the lightening rod as it is so far removed from our success in other sports.

But the brand? UConn Football? Heck we’ve got all kinds of brand and this is just about changing minds…. How do you do that?

W I N

My complaint with Mora is that he is little Edsall like in terms of comments about players - “Rosa our 3rd string right now“ when he’s on an award recognition list. Nice motivator Randy, sorry I mean Jim.

I do wonder if some of the players that we lost to the portal could have been convinced to stay. They could be the difference between one win and 4 wins right now.

But circling back, UConn just hasn’t show consistently in winning which makes our attendance numbers dip but after watching the Rice game, we’re not the worst in that category either.

We just have to W I N

Reaction Score
We’re about to go 2-10 as an Indy and nobody is coming to games.

Students are non existent. The band even skipped a game.
Show me any 2-10 team selling out their stadium. Or one where students are enthusiastically attending.

Winning is the best cure for attendance. Next to that is the potential for upsetting a team in national conversation. When those happen, people will come.

Reaction Score
The MAC is made up of second and third tier state colleges. We are a first rank state flagship university. We are a better school academically and athletically than most of the ACC, heck, we ahead than most of the B10.

We do not belong in the MAC.
First Rank in many ways but definitely not in football

Reaction Score
UConn, if in the ACC next year, would be ranked as the #12 ACC team on USNWR National University Rankings.

Would start the season as the #2 ranked BB team...(based on current preseason AP)

Football...could be ahead of Virginia (currently 2-6)

Reaction Score
Every school cooks the books. We were 10th before the USF game btw. I just guessed we may be 12th but we may still be top 10.
So UConn should do it too? Like saying 36K when the real number is 25K?

Reaction Score
Hire Pat Shurmer who was recently named Deion Sanders' new offensive play caller at Colorado to be the new UConn head coach.

Reaction Score
You don’t know that. If we sweeten the offer you never know.

Stop thinking like a Connecticut person.
The AAC or PAC/MW are by far the best non P options as a FB only .
Give them. 2 men’s two women’s BB games annually
with a promise to upgrade football with a $20,000,000 investment in recruitment and upgrade coaching staff
Either one of those conferences gains instant viewership with strong UConn program .
Get it done Benedict you Turkey

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are a lot of opinions on what the football program should do. What's better than a poll to measure opinion?

There are two realistic options (assuming no P4 invite and we stay in the Big East for Olympic sports):

1. Stay independent and schedule 4-5 P4 H/H series a year

2. Accept a football-only invite from either the MAC or CUSA (if invited) with likely 2-4 game basketball slate as collateral

What say you?
Take no. 2.

Reaction Score
If UConn joins the MAC they could play their home games on campus at the soccer stadium. That would make the “UConn needs an on-campus stadium” crowd very happy.

The schedule would actually improve in the MAC, we could still play four P4 games. (I'm personally sick of the P4 games, they all suck)

BTW let's stop pretending that these body bag games are something to be happy about, they are a horror show.

Anyone who wants to continue down our current path is delusional. How are we going to attract good coaching talent when our schedule makes it impossible to win? Mora is a terrific coach and the crazies in this fanbase are turning on him. Good luck bringing in anyone better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Give me Tulane's scheduling strategy. They play one P4 game this year and they are ranked, and likely on their way to a second straight New Year's Day bowl. Who wouldn't sign up for that? It's the same scheduling strategy that turned Gonzaga basketball into a powerhouse.

Reaction Score
Funny thing about this OP is there was none of this (MAC) talk last year when Uconn was getting destroyed by MICH, CUSE and NC St. but
wound up 6-6 and then ended up hours from a Big 12 invite. Now the team loses a bunch of one scores games and part of the fan base is as quick to give up and submit to seat in the bottom of the FBS... as the fetal position hand offs/east west offense Charlton should be fired. As he blew the first part of the season and kept the 90% of the student section home, for good, after the Duke game. Until he realized that a pass down field isn't as scary as he thought it would be (way to late ! )

Personally I can't take weak minded quitters, narratives and the excuses (Yeah you Jim Mora too with your " poor me NIL" / "little Indy Uconn") that losing brings. Suck it up, stay the course and deal with it ...or go home and don't come back.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The MAC is made up of second and third tier state colleges. We are a first rank state flagship university. We are a better school academically and athletically than most of the ACC, heck, we ahead than most of the B10.

We do not belong in the MAC.
They have Buffalo, which is NY flagship and AAU

Reaction Score
Need somebody to fix this mess that has the energy to recruit with a passion, that thinks O first and is ready to get after it. No more retreads.

Reaction Score
Need somebody to fix this mess that has the energy to recruit with a passion, that thinks O first and is ready to get after it. No more retreads.
Mora is here until he decides to leave (which very well could be after the season - I don’t think he realized how tough this was going to be)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The other thing people need to remember is that FSU and Clemson and others aren’t waiting until 2036 to leave the ACC. They will pay a heavy financial penalty to get out early. My guess is that the ACC will look different by 2030. That is six more seasons. We can hang in for that long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom