The next step for the program

What should we do?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The next steps for the program are:
New OC
New DC
Develop/Recruit QB
Get a quality Center that can block someone.
Speed at DB - especially safety
More than one stud LB - I remember when we had 3.

Not sure what's going on at WR. Honestly thought this group would be better but the chemistry has been slow to develop and too many drops. The OC and QB impacts this situation, to what degree others would know better.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
...and hopefully yesterday will be as good or better than last.
:D Oops. I meant to say "and hopefully NEXT YEAR will be as good or better than last (2022)."

Reaction Score
Mora and his staff needs to have more success in the transfer portal this off season. then we did last year. We need at least 3 linebackers along with many other needs. The James Madison quarterback who is a level better than any quarterback on our roster played 3 years at USF and 2 years at Arizona before transferring to James Madison.

Reaction Score
No need to shut down. We need to actually invest in success and stop them nickel and dime, half in BS. We hire a good coach then give him an econo- budget staff. We have AD that is utterly useless with NIL, and a board of trustees half of which love FB failing. Screwed up school
All investment dollars will go to BB. Have you not realized that?

Reaction Score
I agree fully. Only problem is that likely requires another coaching change since Mora is not likely going to be a scheme guy anytime soon. That means having leadership with guts and vision - and capacity to communicate and build support for said plan. A plan that involves hiring an untested offensive planner/recruiter who will need a ton of support - including a big bag of NIL starter money to help us out recruit the winning programs you named. I’m not sure we have the leadership alignment/commitment stomach for that. Frankly, I’m not sure we have the stomach for winning football at this level. I hope I’m wrong, but the silence of leadership other than likely hanging it on Mora if/when we keep losing is deafening. Coaching matters, but leadership alignment matters more.
I wouldn't state it quite that way. His skill set may be more geared to higher level football than de facto FCS. It will be interesting to see if he stays.

Reaction Score
The Huskies have had to run against the wind...and it isn't getting any easier as a headwind continues to build...

Against the wind
We were runnin' against the wind
We were young and strong, we were runnin' against the wind

Against the wind
A little something against the wind
I found myself seeking shelter against the wind

Against the wind
I'm still runnin' against the wind
I'm older now but still runnin' against the wind
Against the wind

Reaction Score
Mora and his staff needs to have more success in the transfer portal this off season. then we did last year. We need at least 3 linebackers along with many other needs. The James Madison quarterback who is a level better than any quarterback on our roster played 3 years at USF and 2 years at Arizona before transferring to James Madison.
So maybe we can find a 30yo guy with another year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
I have waited to calm down after that humiliation at Tennessee to comment, but I can no longer hold back my disgust. Unless we commit 10 million annually to coaching salaries this program does not belong in FBS. We’re better off joining up with Nova. in FCS. Let’s no kid ourselves, the university is never going to commit the necessary resources to compete at this level. Time to put a fork in this program!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I have waited to calm down after that humiliation at Tennessee to comment, but I can no longer hold back my disgust. Unless we commit 10 million annually to coaching salaries this program does not belong in FBS. We’re better off joining up with Nova. in FCS. Let’s no kid ourselves, the university is never going to commit the necessary resources to compete at this level. Time to put a fork in this program!
Go back to supporting BC. Get out of here.

Reaction Score
Another dumpster fire of a program! No thanks! I had season tickets at UConn back when we played in 1AA! It’s the same old nonsense, no financial support and poor management

Reaction Score
There are a lot of opinions on what the football program should do. What's better than a poll to measure opinion?

There are two realistic options (assuming no P4 invite and we stay in the Big East for Olympic sports):

1. Stay independent and schedule 4-5 P4 H/H series a year

2. Accept a football-only invite from either the MAC or CUSA (if invited) with likely 2-4 game basketball slate as collateral

What say you?
It is unbelievable how many will still sacrifice part of basketball to build up/save this broken football program.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
It is unbelievable how many will still sacrifice part of basketball to build up/save this broken football program.
I remember being a kid on my school's basketball team and watching the UConn Huskies during a practice; this was in the infancy of the Calhoun era before the school found success in the NIT. I became a Huskies fan then, based on basketball. But I think it's shortsighted to only put effort and resources into BB (notwithstanding investment in baseball, hockey, soccer, field hockey). I don't kid myself, well never have a football championship run, but it doesn't mean we can't be decent in football, and that is what will funnel money into the school, that in turn should keep up our athletic success across sports.

Reaction Score
He must really cherish those Northern Arizona games. ;)
remember when calhoun welched on playing holy cross because he feared his team would lose? It has those vibes.

Reaction Score
hear me out - scheduling alliances with the best available G5 (listed in order of my preference):
  • Mtn West
  • AAC
  • Sun Belt

to get some winnable games with recognizable-enough brands spread throughout.
I know no one wants to play southern miss, sam houston state, "directional" michigan, or middle tennessee.
I don't either - hence im staying away from MAC/C-USA.

But we need to win and put a resume together, to stop getting laughed at by P4 univ. presidents as well as the P4 twitterverse, every time conf realignment kicks off again.

there are some well known programs across those 3 conferences, to get some quality-"enough" wins.

while NOT ideal, as far as a maybe winnable schedule, I don't mind seeing matchups with hawaii, fresno, temple, navy, army, San Diego State, Tulane, etc.

EDIT - i realized southern miss is now SBC --- ehh, u get the point, the execution of such a scheduling endeavor wouldn't be perfect.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I honestly would have gone for Tulane instead of SMU if I was the ACC
SMU offered to join and allow the conference to keep all of their media revenues. If Tulane offered that, there is a strong likelyhood they also would have joined.

Reaction Score
hear me out - scheduling alliances with the best available G5 (listed in order of my preference):
  • Mtn West
  • AAC
  • Sun Belt

to get some winnable games with recognizable-enough brands spread throughout.
I know no one wants to play southern miss, sam houston state, "directional" michigan, or middle tennessee.
I don't either - hence im staying away from MAC/C-USA.

But we need to win and put a resume together, to stop getting laughed at by P4 univ. presidents as well as the P4 twitterverse, every time conf realignment kicks off again.

there are some well known programs across those 3 conferences, to get some quality-"enough" wins.

while NOT ideal, as far as a maybe winnable schedule, I don't mind seeing matchups with hawaii, fresno, temple, navy, army, San Diego State, Tulane, etc.

EDIT - i realized southern miss is now SBC --- ehh, u get the point, the execution of such a scheduling endeavor wouldn't be perfect.
Scheduling alliances are made when there is something beneficial for both schools. What benefit would any of these schools get by aligning with UConn?

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Scheduling alliances are made when there is something beneficial for both schools. What benefit would any of these schools get by aligning with UConn?
The answer is not women’s basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"We"?

Reaction Score
It still makes my blood boil when I'm flipping through the channels and find the likes of louisville playing in the ACC. the fickle finger of fate. one simple power invite would cure all of what ails UConn and we could all move on in peace.

soccerfan.jpg

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It still makes my blood boil when I'm flipping through the channels and find the likes of louisville playing in the ACC. the fickle finger of fate. one simple power invite would cure all of what ails UConn and we could all move on in peace.

View attachment 92927
But we had an AD was more important to be in the Bahamas instead of pushing UConn as he should have to ACC

Reaction Score
The James Madison quarterback who is a level better than any quarterback on our roster played 3 years at USF and 2 years at Arizona before transferring to James Madison.
So tell me the story of how and why "that QB" came to enroll at JMU and who orchestrated it and I'll tell you if we have a chance at being competitively hopeful. Was it the HC's history of winning? His "program vision"? NIL? The OC's NFL developmental acumen? The facilities, stadium, uniforms or helmet decals-- lol? Would Charlton have wanted to pursue him stylistically? Did he ever try and fail? Was there good or bad feedback on him for the "locker room". Did we ever inquire about him?
Same thing goes for any other player at any position--but let's use this QB as the model--a guy who played in the AAC and Pac12 (starter?--backup?) that then decided (or was enticed) to play at J-freaking-MU. We couldn't get a guy like that?

Reaction Score
I'm convinced the UConn we know and love will get an invite to a power conference based on what it is, or it won't. Football performance will not be a determining factor one way or the other and here's why. Some programs are great, some mediocre. They all have good years and thay all have bad years. UConn will not suddenly start beating everyone given its well documented sheety situation. It just won't happen. Not as a struggling independent program. People out there will have to realize UConn will carry its weight in a conference, and then some, and take the chance. If they don't, we can hope that UConn can start going .500 soon but that is not going to be the big draw for a power conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom