The next step for the program | The Boneyard

The next step for the program

What should we do?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
There are a lot of opinions on what the football program should do. What's better than a poll to measure opinion?

There are two realistic options (assuming no P4 invite and we stay in the Big East for Olympic sports):

1. Stay independent and schedule 4-5 P4 H/H series a year

2. Accept a football-only invite from either the MAC or CUSA (if invited) with likely 2-4 game basketball slate as collateral

What say you?

Reaction Score
Independent until the ACC implodes. If that doesn’t get us in, take a G5 football only. If no G5 wants us, Independent until schedules are no longer feasible and the program needs to be dropped to FCS or cut.

In theory, we can be Independent forever. But in 15-20 years I think that would mean a buy game, a bag game, a couple G5 H/Hs, and then 6 games or so vs UMass assuming they stay FBS.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Not really going to answer because the second answer is too limited . Should be any G5 conference as football only.
The other three will not have us. We both know this.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If the AAC or MW offered us a football-only home, I would take it. But those are not our options. The only leagues that would potentially take our football program are the MAC and CUSA.

Reaction Score
If the AAC or MW offered us a football-only home, I would take it. But those are not our options. The only leagues that would potentially take our football program are the MAC and CUSA.

You don’t know that. If we sweeten the offer you never know.

Stop thinking like a Connecticut person.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
MAC! Take it. We offer them a few men's and women's hoops games a year and they take us for football. They are close geographically, they have good TV coverage, they have one other flagship university (Buffalo), and we will stand out in a good way regarding facilities and investment. If we finish each year near or at the top of the MAC, we will be in a better position than we are as an Indy.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You don’t know that. If we sweeten the offer you never know.

Stop thinking like a Connecticut person.
Even if we offered a 4-game a year 2H/2A package for men’s basketball, I don’t think it would happen, and that is the most we could offer along with taking no less than 500k a year.

Reaction Score
Independent until the ACC implodes. If that doesn’t get us in, take a G5 football only. If no G5 wants us, Independent until schedules are no longer feasible and the program needs to be dropped to FCS or cut.

In theory, we can be Independent forever. But in 15-20 years I think that would mean a buy game, a bag game, a couple G5 H/Hs, and then 6 games or so vs UMass assuming they stay FBS.
This is exactly how I feel. I’m a believer there’s a non-zero chance that when the well runs dry for the ACC after the biggest assets leave, we’re headed back to some semblance of the old BE - even if it’s a scheduling alliance with the scraps. Whether our football program can stay afloat in the meantime remains to be seen.

In the meantime, independence gives us the best chance to keep some regional games that people care about, buy games to pay the bills, and G5’s that should be winnable if we don’t continue to shoot ourselves in the foot at every turn, all without disrupting hoops.

Reaction Score
Even if we offered a 4-game a year 2H/2A package for men’s basketball, I don’t think it would happen, and that is the most we could offer along with taking no less than 500k a year.

What if the MWC added Gonzaga for all sports, UConn for football and some hoop games.

Of course why not just add Gonzaga in their own right.

The idea that we only have one lever to pull is simply untrue.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
What if the MWC added Gonzaga for all sports, UConn for football and some hoop games.

Of course why not just add Gonzaga in their own right.

The idea that we only have one lever to pull is simply untrue.
Gonzaga is likely going to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Sun Belt would definitely be great for football and basketball... demographics similar to AAC but more warm weather teams....
I hope you meant baseball....................

Reaction Score
I am all in on joining the MAC. That is a very fun conference.

Reaction Score
We can't play baseball in the Sunbelt. We can only play outside the Big East in sports the Big East doesn't offer.

We might be able to get the Big East to let us do it. It’s not looks our baseball program is making the Big East money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom