The Geno A Show: Episode 1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Geno A Show: Episode 1

Reaction Score
I think it was Florida St.

I think yours is a good call. When the video got posted, I got a look at the exchange in question and immediately checked out the replays. FSU matches. I'd go with half time.

There's a a lot of honesty in this program and honesty is the best policy. The team that played FSU isn't the same team that played any of the other games and the board is abuzz with the joy they're seeing and sensing. From On the Waterfront, "but there's a lot more to this whole thing than I thought, Charley."

Reaction Score
Gotta say I am not a big fan of this one. First, it was rather static. Lots of our new hostess and Geno in Q & A. Way to many big grins from Geno (uh, Kathy, keep an eye on him). Second through 10: some things are best left behind closed doors in the locker room. We did not have to hear Geno berate Lou about a lack of heart and have the camera dwell on a crushed Lou. Very uncomfortable and gratuitous TV. Sort of makes me leery of what the HBO series may expose us to.

I can tell that you were never in the military...

in boot camp the drill tries to break you down any way he can. All the drills cuss you out and tell you how up you are.

In their case they need to know if you can stand pressure in the battlefield. In Geno's case he wants to toughen them up for tough situations on the court. Those other teams want to win as bad as UCONN does but their coaches can't prepare them as well as UCONN does theirs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's

It's pretty obvious that Samuelson was devastated. Just look at her terrible performance in the games following Auriemma's "tune up." :rolleyes:

Why does everyone think that these women are so emotionally fragile that they are incapable of dealing
with an ass chewing? I think the reality is that these are some tough cookies. If they weren't they would be playing elsewhere.

Maybe it's some fans that are too sensitive to deal with it.
Ding, ding, ding.

We have a winner.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Watch Chris Dailey when he says this. She shakes her head in such a way that she is not agreeing with him at this point.

I agree. It is subtle but she sits up straighter and starts this subtle shaking of her head - her dangly ear rings get going.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can tell that you were never in the military...

in boot camp the drill tries to break you down any way he can. All the drills cuss you out and tell you how up you are.

In their case they need to know if you can stand pressure in the battlefield. In Geno's case he wants to toughen them up for tough situations on the court. Those other teams want to win as bad as UCONN does but their coaches can't prepare them as well as UCONN does theirs.

Holy hot damn, is that what those drill sergeants were doing? 48 year mystery solved. Okay. One of life's mysteries solved. I still think that production crossed the line. Geno can say whatever the H he wants. That was not, is not, my beef.

Reaction Score
I honestly think editing might have played a part in the clip, we can't tell if Lou made that face because of what Geno said or if something else happened and that type of edit would make for good tv. Durning the Maryland game Geno said something to Collier after she picked up a foul durning the first half, and Z had a look of shock on her face, but I'm sure they all no what to expect, Camara stated clapping to be encouraging( reasons it'll be hard to keep her off the floor next season) so players know what to expect when they come to Uconn. For me the EDD story was very telling, Uconn ain't for everybody!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Absolutely agree that we have a bunch of players that get adopted by our fan base as honorary 'children' and cringe whenever Geno treats them as the young athletes that they are, and not as his 'girls'.

I would relate it to the participation trophy mentality, and the 'its OK, you'll get it next time' style of coaching Geno has referred to previously. If you want that kind of a coaching find some underachieving team to follow, because Uconn WCBB is for world class athletes and adults.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with you regarding the tongue lashing he gave to Lou that made its way on camera. Of course, we know this stuff goes on and it is done to benefit the players later but fans do not need to see that.

I certainly also agree that it should have been kept private. We all have an inkling (or more) of how Geno motivates his players, but frankly, compared to other clips I've seen that was pretty brutal. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether it was directed only at KLS.
I also don't think it was much of a positive recruiting tool, even though it may reflect how life with UCONN WBB can be.

Reaction Score
My immediate gut reaction to that clip was, "I should not be seeing this," and I felt really bad for her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Absolutely agree that we have a bunch of players that get adopted by our fan base as honorary 'children' and cringe whenever Geno treats them as the young athletes that they are, and not as his 'girls'.

I would relate it to the participation trophy mentality, and the 'its OK, you'll get it next time' style of coaching Geno has referred to previously. If you want that kind of a coaching find some underachieving team to follow, because Uconn WCBB is for world class athletes and adults.
Agree, KLS seems to be handling it quite well.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Well, I can see how it would upset some recruits. There are a lot of them that cannot handle any criticism, even constructive, let alone the type of treatment Geno gives players like DT, Maya, Stewie and KLS for example. From seeing KLS in high school and that she played for Kiernan, I have to tell you, just from watching him coach games, he was no angel :cool:

Reaction Score
Well, I can see how it would upset some recruits. There are a lot of them that cannot handle any criticism, even constructive, let alone the type of treatment Geno gives players like DT, Maya, Stewie and KLS for example. From seeing KLS in high school and that she played for Kiernan, I have to tell you, just from watching him coach games, he was no angel :cool:
Good - maybe the All Access thing will be a tool to help weed them out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For years fans have proudly repeated Geno's assertion that he treats his players as basketball players rather than as women who play basketball. Hearing him say that is fine with people but apparently not the visual proof of it.

My son played in a high school marching band that was ranked #4 nationally in its organization and class (US Bands, class 4). The way the band operated was eerily similar to the UConn women - numerous long, grueling practices, a drill Sargent band director everyone loved to hate, a tight-knit family oriented group of kids that were held to high academic standards...I could go on.

As a mom, I hated hearing my son be told that his marching posture was disaster and his playing was worse than a fourth grader but he didn't hear the insults, he heard challenges. I kept my lip zipped and let him handle it. I may have suffered hearing the instructors but was so proud when he was named Assistant Drum major and awarded Most Improved. he gained self assurance and confidence, all while making life long friendships with 100 great kids.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Reaction Score
Geno's been commenting on Saniya since she was a freshmen in these open access and she stuck it out. This is nothing compared to what he has said publically about her and Kiah Stokes through their years at UCONN.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I thought it would be worse than what most were posting.
Lou is a tough kid, she can handle it.
Whether what happens in a locker room should be shown to others is another story, but permission was given and I am sure the players knew that cameras were on.
Lou is a better player, and person, every day since arriving at Storrs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Didn't read the thread, but let chime in that watching star player development at UConn is like watching a Rocky movie. We all know what the script is going to be but sit through it so we can get to all the cheering at the end.

1) Promising HS play comes in.
2) Geno highlights weakness generating tension with player.
3) Player struggles with self-doubt through early Feb. but esp, Jan.
4) Geno builds player back up for post season.
5) Player triumphs in post season.
6) Repeat until senior year, when he is all love.
7) Player goes on to spectacular success as pro and credits GA.
8) Rinse and repeat.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Some fans think that because the players are female they rate a different, gentler treatment, apparently to include no public displays of criticism by a coach. Does that mean that whenever a coach gets in a players knickers on the sidelines the camera should cut away and any video instantly erased? Or maybe the players should get to vote on what gets telecast. Stop the game, let the players review the tape and vote on whether it can be shown.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Didn't read the thread, but let chime in that watching star player development at UConn is like watching a Rocky movie. We all know what the script is going to be but sit through it so we can get to all the cheering at the end.

1) Promising HS play comes in.
2) Geno highlights weakness generating tension with player.
3) Player struggles with self-doubt through early Feb. but esp, Jan.
4) Geno builds player back up for post season.
5) Player triumphs in post season.
6) Repeat until senior year, when he is all love.
7) Player goes on to spectacular success as pro and credits GA.
8) Rinse and repeat.

We could make a list of all the great players at UConn and with just a very few exceptions all went through the same progression.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For years fans have proudly repeated Geno's assertion that he treats his players as basketball players rather than as women who play basketball. Hearing him say that is fine with people but apparently not the visual proof of it.

My son played in a high school marching band that was ranked #4 nationally in its organization and class (US Bands, class 4). The way the band operated was eerily similar to the UConn women - numerous long, grueling practices, a drill Sargent band director everyone loved to hate, a tight-knit family oriented group of kids that were held to high academic standards...I could go on.

As a mom, I hated hearing my son be told that his marching posture was fn disaster and his playing was worse than a fourth grader but he didn't hear the insults, he heard challenges. I kept my lip zipped and let him handle it. I may have suffered hearing the instructors but was so proud when he was named Assistant Drum major and awarded Most Improved. he gained self assurance and confidence, all while making life long friendships with 100 great kids.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Do you think that you would have felt the same if the band director's comments had been broadcast to tens of thousands of people on TV throughout the state and nation, including a close-up of your son listening to the spiel?

It still seems to me that most of those who are defending Geno (needlessly) are missing the point that a few of us are trying to make: it may be a legitimate and successful coaching technique to say such things to your players, and they certainly know what they are in for when they come to UConn, and yes, they are strong and can take it. But whether those moments should be televised to a huge audience of fans is another question entirely. I doubt whether UConn players or their parents sign up to have their weaker moments broadcast to the world, and I don't know what is gained (for anyone) by doing that. It is as much or more a criticism of SNY as of Geno, although I assume they both decided that this was OK to show.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Do you think that you would have felt the same if the band director's comments had been broadcast to tens of thousands of people on TV throughout the state and nation, including a close-up of your son listening to the spiel?

It still seems to me that most of those who are defending Geno (needlessly) are missing the point that a few of us are trying to make: it may be a legitimate and successful coaching technique to say such things to your players, and they certainly know what they are in for when they come to UConn, and yes, they are strong and can take it. But whether those moments should be televised to a huge audience of fans is another question entirely. I doubt whether UConn players or their parents sign up to have their weaker moments broadcast to the world, and I don't know what is gained (for anyone) by doing that. It is as much or more a criticism of SNY as of Geno, although I assume they both decided that this was OK to show.

I'll second this one more time, since so many posters seem determined to believe that some of us are questioning the way that Geno challenges his players or the effectiveness of his coaching methods. We're--at least I'm--not. Nor do I think that the posters who have reacted negatively to the video are saying that Geno's players shouldn't expect what they signed up for, can't take it--or worse, should be treated with those proverbial kid gloves because they are women. What I, and I think some others, are questioning is the decision to televise this particular moment, and especially the close-ups of Lou, as part of the Geno Auriemma Show. In my view, SNY--and Geno, assuming he has a say in what gets on the screen--should do better than this.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Strange. Fans want to know the inside story, at least until they realize that what happens on the inside isn't always pleasant. If you don't want to see this aspect of the game, or if you feel you "shouldn't be seeing this," please note that the red button on your remote is always available for you. Keep your mitts off of mine, however.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The microscope under which Uconn operates and has operated for 20+ years is also something that kids sign up for when they sign up for Uconn. Clips of Geno being mean in practice, video of players off the court and on in less than ideal situations are a constant. It is part of the package and while any one moment may cause individual players a second of angst, they enjoy many of the benefits of the attention and I believe recognize the drawbacks. Talk about building a brand - it is being built for them with no effort in that direction required from them. You think Lou or Napheesa or Gabby or _____ will not make just a little more money in endorsements because they are recognizable across the country before they turn pro. You think their agent will get a better foreign contract for them because everyone everywhere know Uconn and has seen them in video if not live broadcasts?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom