The Geno A Show: Episode 1 | The Boneyard

The Geno A Show: Episode 1

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gotta say I am not a big fan of this one. First, it was rather static. Lots of our new hostess and Geno in Q & A. Way to many big grins from Geno (uh, Kathy, keep an eye on him). Second through 10: some things are best left behind closed doors in the locker room. We did not have to hear Geno berate Lou about a lack of heart and have the camera dwell on a crushed Lou. Very uncomfortable and gratuitous TV. Sort of makes me leery of what the HBO series may expose us to.

Reaction Score
That was actually the second episode. Episode one was back in early December. That clip of Lou is from the All-Access Show on Wednesday night, so you may only have to wait a few more days to see some things you don't like. Geno said that maybe he expects too much of Lou, but I guess that's his way of making great players legendary. Some players can handle it and the rest transfer. In the post-game after the Maryland game, Slocum said she couldn't play for a coach that yells at her, and I immediately thought about Geno and how she would last about one practice in Storrs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She knows he cares about her as a basketball player and as a person.

Geno+Auriemma+Katie+Lou+Samuelson+NCAA+Women+AqH5woAcUWal.jpg

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Gotta say I am not a big fan of this one. First, it was rather static. Lots of our new hostess and Geno in Q & A. Way to many big grins from Geno (uh, Kathy, keep an eye on him). Second through 10: some things are best left behind closed doors in the locker room. We did not have to hear Geno berate Lou about a lack of heart and have the camera dwell on a crushed Lou. Very uncomfortable and gratuitous TV. Sort of makes me leery of what the HBO series may expose us to.

I have not seen the show yet. I wonder when it was taped. Lou's play seems to get better and better. She had seven rebounds yesterday for goodness sake and appeared to be having a lot of fun on the floor. Crushed but not broken.

Danger, however, may not be handling the "instructions" directed at her quite as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I have to agree with you regarding the tongue lashing he gave to Lou that made its way on camera. Of course, we know this stuff goes on and it is done to benefit the players later but fans do not need to see that.

I hope the players have veto power regarding what makes it's way on air.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I coached for 30 plus years. Almost daily I second-guessed myself for something I said or an approach to certain situations. I learned to accept that I was going to make mistakes and I made that perfectly clear to parents and players. My intentions were always to make the player better.

I don't know if Geno ever regrets how he handles certain situations. I know he has talked at length about how kids have changed which has forced him to change. His former players say he is nicer now and tease him about it.

I do know that you don't get to be the best coach in America without having a complete understanding of what buttons he can and cannot push with every player on his team.

Reaction Score
And what did Geno say after her gutty performance against Maryland ? He is the master motivator and has done so with all of the best that played for him , yet never does do with players he knows have no upside.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good thing to see what exactly a player is signing up for. Maybe it will prevent having a player sign, realize it's not for them and then leaves the team short.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
And what did Geno say after her gutty performance against Maryland ? He is the master motivator and has done so with all of the best that played for him , yet never does do with players he knows have no upside.

Wolters said it all in the post game show when she talked about asking Auriemma why he was always on her case - his response was that she should be concerned when he doesn't yell at her. She went on to mention how he is the master manipulator and motivator. He knows exactly what buttons to push and when.

Does anyone think that players like Samuelson don't expect to catch crap from Auriemma?

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have to agree with you regarding the tongue lashing he gave to Lou that made its way on camera. Of course, we know this stuff goes on and it is done to benefit the players later but fans do not need to see that.

I disagree. If we are going to celebrate this team in the good times as though we "own" that right and their victories, then maybe some part of honesty means feeling more deeply the sting of their failure and misfortune as well. When I saw the clip in question, I really felt hurt for Lou, and I suspect she hurt a lot more than I did. But seeing it made me understand to a greater degree the depth of commitment and passion required to be a Husky. The scoreboard rarely, if ever, tells us the more gritty and sometimes messy story of what a champion really is. Lou is a champion; she gets it. This was a good, if difficult video segment.

"I hope the players have veto power regarding what makes it's way on air."

You must be kidding. No way. But I do respect your view, I just don't share it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I disagree. If we are going to celebrate this team in the good times as though we "own" that right and their victories, then maybe some part of honesty means feeling more deeply the sting of their failure and misfortune as well. When I saw the clip in question, I really felt hurt for Lou, and I suspect she hurt a lot more than I did. But seeing it made me understand to a greater degree the depth of commitment and passion required to be a Husky. The scoreboard rarely, if ever, tells us the more gritty and sometimes messy story of what a champion really is. Lou is a champion; she gets it. This was a good, if difficult video segment.

"I hope the players have veto power regarding what makes it's way on air."

You must be kidding. No way. But I do respect your view, I just don't share it.

I wonder how much concern there would be about a players "feelings" if they were male? What if this was Ollie chewing out his players?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I agree that particular clip, and especially the lingering close-up of Lou's face, should not have been shown. Geno may have been right to say what he said, but those moments should stay inside the locker room. It is supposed to be a family atmosphere, and families keep moments like that among themselves.

Also related to that show, I would like to know what game it was when Geno said at halftime (roughly) that "There's a lot of scared guys in this room right now. I never thought I'd see players in a Connecticut uniform back down and not compete."

During what first half this year would the team's play warrant that comment? Maybe Baylor?

Reaction Score
There is little doubt Geno feels something special for his players and that they, in turn, learn to love him. It's also well known that the extra measure of discipline and tough love he freely doles-out, contributes toward the extraordinary individual and team results we've all become accustomed to enjoy and appreciate.
Looking at KLS' face, as Geno refers to her lack of heart , cannot, however, help but make one feel for her. These women give it their all.. and somehow manage to make it work with studies, fan & press demands as well as the many challenges, women of their age, face in their personal lives. They are truly remarkable in so many ways and we can't help but hurt when they hurt. No slap on Geno....just stating a reality that fans of UConn Women's basketball have grown to own!

Reaction Score
I agree that particular clip, and especially the lingering close-up of Lou's face, should not have been shown. Geno may have been right to say what he said, but those moments should stay inside the locker room. It is supposed to be a family atmosphere, and families keep moments like that among themselves.

Also related to that show, I would like to know what game it was when Geno said at halftime (roughly) that "There's a lot of scared guys in this room right now. I never thought I'd see players in a Connecticut uniform back down and not compete."

During what first half this year would the team's play warrant that comment? Maybe Baylor?

I think it was Florida St.

Reaction Score
There is little doubt Geno feels something special for his players and that they, in turn, learn to love him. It's also well known that the extra measure of discipline and tough love he freely doles-out, contributes toward the extraordinary individual and team results we've all become accustomed to enjoy and appreciate.
Looking at KLS' face, as Geno refers to her lack of heart , cannot, however, help but make one feel for her. These women give it their all.. and somehow manage to make it work with studies, fan & press demands as well as the many challenges, women of their age, face in their personal lives. They are truly remarkable in so many ways and we can't help but hurt when they hurt. No slap on Geno....just stating a reality that fans of UConn Women's basketball have grown to own!

This is classic Geno. You should go back and see the clips on the stuff he said to Stewie. Geno always has a love/hate relationship with the truly great players. He rides them to the point they literally hate him, but they as great players understand why and appreciate it come jr and sr year. They see how much better players they have become and the championships they have won.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They are truly remarkable in so many ways and we can't help but hurt when they hurt. No slap on Geno....just stating a reality that fans of UConn Women's basketball have grown to own!

Well said HP. You talk like that to one of my kids again, you're going to have to deal with me Geno!

Reaction Score
As has been mentioned, Kara and Rebecca were savaged at numerous times by Geno but I'm sure there were multiple moments where an encouraging word or two or gesture by him let them know that as demanding as he could be, he could and would recognize great efforts and outstanding performance. That demand for excellence is what a lot of kids have bought into when they've decided to come to Storrs and as Ringo said in the song, "it don't come easy, you know it don't come easy"! Geno is a teacher and he won't accept anything but the best from his "students"! The more gifted you are, the more is expected from you.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of you above. It's no coincidence that the two greatest coaches in the history of WCBB are Geno and Pat Summitt: just think about how SHE treated her players publicly. And yet, just like Geno, Pat commanded complete and utter loyalty from her players, because, we have absolutely no idea what follows one of Geno's (or Pat's) ripping. Whether he goes out of his way to say something nice in compensation; whether CD covers for him; whether he's expecting other players to rally around the player to develop team cohesion. We just don't know everything what goes on behind the cameras, but we DO know how much loyalty and love Geno commands of his players, so something else we can't see must be going on.

This isn't D-3 walk-on kids playing in a gym that holds a couple of hundred. This is the most elite version of amateur women's basketball in the world, played under glaring lights and the greatest possible pressure. To paraphrase Hyman Roth: This is the business they've chosen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of you above. It's no coincidence that the two greatest coaches in the history of WCBB are Geno and Pat Summitt: just think about how SHE treated her players publicly. And yet, just like Geno, Pat commanded complete and utter loyalty from her players, because, we have absolutely no idea what follows one of Geno's (or Pat's) ripping. Whether he goes out of his way to say something nice in compensation; whether CD covers for him; whether he's expecting other players to rally around the player to develop team cohesion. We just don't know everything what goes on behind the cameras, but we DO know how much loyalty and love Geno commands of his players, so something else we can't see must be going on.

This isn't D-3 walk-on kids playing in a gym that holds a couple of hundred. This is the most elite version of amateur woman's basketball in the world, played under glaring lights and the greatest possible pressure. To paraphrase Hyman Roth: This is the business they've chosen.

I appreciate all this, still I think that little PUBLIC / PUBLISHED vignette with Lou stepped over the line.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I completely agree. The message is one thing. Making it public viewing is quite another and, in my view, adds nothing to the goal of making Lou a better player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom