The Geno A Show: Episode 1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Geno A Show: Episode 1

Reaction Score
Did i hear Geno calling Dangerield 'Z' in the clip from practice? Or did I misunderstand him?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the video. Geno is a tough taskmaster, as we all know. I was expecting that the video would be even worse than it was. No one in the locker room was happy, but the criticism of Lou was the most personal. He admits that he may be harder on her than on others, but she is the chosen one. I don't think he was any less tough on Stewie. He will get her to places she didn't think she could reach and couldn't have reached on her own. Her stellar play against Maryland came after the locker room scene against FSU. Geno complimented her on her increased toughness.

In their junior year, Geno infamously benched Stewie and Morgan. I'm sure they were embarrassed. He also complained about Stewie in her first year. Last year, I don't think he made any negative public comments on Stewie, Morgan, or Moriah. He had gotten them to where he wanted them to be. No one was happier when they were picked 1-2-3 than Geno. It's part of the process at UConn. I expect Megan will hear next year about how much Lou has improved.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well this thing had a lot more legs than I would ever have figured. Now we are in to meanderings. A good thing.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that people say Geno has mellowed compared to the olden days. So if he says stuff like that now, imagine what he was like in 2005 or 1995, eh? ;)

I'm not worried about KLS based on what I saw there. When I look at her, it seems to me that she has an interesting edge to her that doesn't always come out. I can see it in the way that she celebrates after getting hammered while completing a play. Geno is trying to make it come out on command.

This edge (or the potential for it) is IMO one of the things that separates her from a lot of players with similar builds and skillsets.

Honest question for people who know more of UConn history than I: would it be terribly amiss to describe KLS as "Strother with a chip on her shoulder"? I wasn't really watching closely in the Strother years. But I do feel that KLS is nursing a real chip on her shoulder. Watch out when it develops properly.

Reaction Score
I agree. It is subtle but she sits up straighter and starts this subtle shaking of her head - her dangly ear rings get going.
And I'll bet she let him have it afterwards too. But within a few days of practice and games she knew he was right. That's why he's in charge.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And I'll bet she let him have it afterwards too. But within a few days of practice and games she knew he was right. That's why he's in charge.

That may or may not be true. And, yes, if you grew up as a little girl loving UConn WCBB and following the saga and listening to the grads and observing the rites of passage and the shared tears of the master and the pupil, then you come to the UConn program prepared to get between the anvil and Geno's hammer. I felt there was too much sharing of the hammer blows on TV and that opinion is unchanged. Not a big deal. Not wanting anything different in the program. BTW didn't think any better of Saniya being shown thrown out of practice last year.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that people say Geno has mellowed compared to the olden days. So if he says stuff like that now, imagine what he was like in 2005 or 1995, eh? ;)

I'm not worried about KLS based on what I saw there. When I look at her, it seems to me that she has an interesting edge to her that doesn't always come out. I can see it in the way that she celebrates after getting hammered while completing a play. Geno is trying to make it come out on command.

This edge (or the potential for it) is IMO one of the things that separates her from a lot of players with similar builds and skillsets.

Honest question for people who know more of UConn history than I: would it be terribly amiss to describe KLS as "Strother with a chip on her shoulder"? I wasn't really watching closely in the Strother years. But I do feel that KLS is nursing a real chip on her shoulder. Watch out when it develops properly.
Exactly. He knows there's fire in there and he's bringing it out. And once she sees what she can do with that fire she's gonna be a b***h for teams to handle.

Reaction Score
That may or may not be true. And, yes, if you grew up as a little girl loving UConn WCBB and following the saga and listening to the grads and observing the rites of passage and the shared tears of the master and the pupil, then you come to the UConn program prepared to get between the anvil and Geno's hammer. I felt there was too much sharing of the hammer blows on TV and that opinion is unchanged. Not a big deal. Not wanting anything different in the program. BTW didn't think any better of Saniya being shown thrown out of practice last year.
I actually agree with you for the most part. Obviously the producer is after what they're all after, ratings and eyeballs. IDK if this is how UConn wants it shown or if they have no say.

Reaction Score
Some fans think that because the players are female they rate a different, gentler treatment, apparently to include no public displays of criticism by a coach. Does that mean that whenever a coach gets in a players knickers on the sidelines the camera should cut away and any video instantly erased? Or maybe the players should get to vote on what gets telecast. Stop the game, let the players review the tape and vote on whether it can be shown.
I agree. In many, many ways women are tougher than men.

JS

Reaction Score
I felt there was too much sharing of the hammer blows on TV and that opinion is unchanged.
I had no problem with any of it except the apparent reaction shot of Lou. That was unnecessary and obviously stirred emotions in many people the program can do without. As to that, I share your opinion.

Reading the thread, I kept thinking of the corporate workplace analogy. You chew people out. You do it behind closed doors, or you do it in a meeting of peers, or you translate it for public consumption. You don't broadcast a facial shot of the humiliated chewee to your customers.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I had no problem with any of it except the apparent reaction shot of Lou. That was unnecessary and obviously stirred emotions in many people the program can do without. As to that, I share your opinion.

Reading the thread, I kept thinking of the corporate workplace analogy. You chew people out. You do it behind closed doors, or you do it in a meeting of peers, or you translate it for public consumption. You don't broadcast a facial shot of the humiliated chewee to your customers.

BIG BINGO. Even the Navy Seals don't get that.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I actually agree with you for the most part. Obviously the producer is after what they're all after, ratings and eyeballs. IDK if this is how UConn wants it shown or if they have no say.

No, it's not ratings, per se. And if it was, why would anyone try to increase ratings by irritating the most loyal viewers? They are trying to tell a story, nothing more or less. And while I am not privvy to the contractuals, you can be assured that if Geno finds fault with the program, changes will be made. It is likely accurate to think that UConn and SNY are partners in the production. This is a common arrangement, similar to the Big 10 Network and the conference members.

Fanmomma

UCONN WBB ALL DAY
Reaction Score
I was okay with the video as a whole. Lou mentioned somewhere that she can be stubburn at times, and I know Maya was, it was mentioned somewhere that Stewie was - I think that can be said about alot of sucessful people. If you remember in one of Megan Walkers interview she mentioned she was stubborn and so was Geno.

But I'm pretty sensitive as well and can understand how it could be hard to watch some parts. Geno reminds me of a boss I had once - I accomplished so much working with him, he taught me alot. He went on to build a large company and moved on to better things but boy was he tough to work for.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I was okay with the video as a whole. Lou mentioned somewhere that she can be stubburn at times, and I know Maya was, it was mentioned somewhere that Stewie was - I think that can be said about alot of sucessful people. If you remember in one of Megan Walkers interview she mentioned she was stubborn and so was Geno.

But I'm pretty sensitive as well and can understand how it could be hard to watch some parts. Geno reminds me of a boss I had once - I accomplished so much working with him, he taught me alot. He went on to build a large company and moved on to better things but boy was he tough to work for.

I had one boss like that, too. His name was Ed, but he wanted to be known as "Easy Ed." He was a veteran broadcaster from Philly. I was a talented but (God help me) seventeen-year old beginner. He rode me like a mule. He was anything but easy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder if all or part of the video shot was cleared with Geno, the SID, or the AD Dept. before airing.
I thought the "priceless" part of the video was when at the practice Geno turns to Shea, looks at her and she walks away.

#Nastyfor2hours

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Ann was a very good player. Lou is taller and stronger (I think the latter) and can/will be a great player. Lou is already an elite shooter.

Ann made a dumb play at the end of a loss--taking a 2-pointer when we were down by 3. CD came to her defense when people were concerned about Ann and said that Ann is very tough mentally.

We've heard that Lou is tougher than her sisters. Geno is increasing that gap.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
imagine the players that never recovered from the Geno tongue lashing... not everyone is KLS, Rebecca or Wolters.

Maybe this will help some understand how the "lack of confidence" happens with UConn players

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Would people feel the same way, e.g. protective of the players, if the clip were of Kevin Ollie and Jalen Adams (a sophomore guard on the men's team)?
Jalen may be able to defend himself... Spreewell-style!

Reaction Score
I wonder if all or part of the video shot was cleared with Geno, the SID, or the AD Dept. before airing.
I thought the "priceless" part of the video was when at the practice Geno turns to Shea, looks at her and she walks away.

#Nastyfor2hours
It's called The Geno Auriemma Show, so I suspect he has a lot of editorial control if he wants it. Not so sure about the in-process All Access piece, but also suspect they wouldn't agree to that without some say-so on the final product. In both cases, at minimum everyone is aware the cameras are running.

Reaction Score
It's called The Geno Auriemma Show, so I suspect he has a lot of editorial control if he wants it. Not so sure about the in-process All Access piece, but also suspect they wouldn't agree to that without some say-so on the final product. In both cases, at minimum everyone is aware the cameras are running.
Geno said that they allow SNY's cameras to be around the program as much as they are because they trust SNY. There was an interview with Geno about this earlier in the season where he elaborated a bit more than what I wrote.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I do think KLS has a little "nasty" in her. I assume Geno would like to see that more often.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
imagine the players that never recovered from the Geno tongue lashing... not everyone is KLS, Rebecca or Wolters.

Maybe this will help some understand how the "lack of confidence" happens with UConn players
And therein lies their problem.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Do you think that you would have felt the same if the band director's comments had been broadcast to tens of thousands of people on TV throughout the state and nation, including a close-up of your son listening to the spiel?

It still seems to me that most of those who are defending Geno (needlessly) are missing the point that a few of us are trying to make: it may be a legitimate and successful coaching technique to say such things to your players, and they certainly know what they are in for when they come to UConn, and yes, they are strong and can take it. But whether those moments should be televised to a huge audience of fans is another question entirely. I doubt whether UConn players or their parents sign up to have their weaker moments broadcast to the world, and I don't know what is gained (for anyone) by doing that. It is as much or more a criticism of SNY as of Geno, although I assume they both decided that this was OK to show.
the dressings down to both male and female band members took place in front of the other 100 members of the band, all of the instructors, and parents. The band director lit into them at the National Parade in Washington DC a couple years ago in front all the other bands that were there. so, while not exactly national tv (neither is SNY, by the way) my son has gotten chewed out in public. But whenever I asked if he wanted to quit, he looked at me like I was crazy.

And let me tell you something, the rough and tough band director got choked up when my son's class graduated, he cared about the kids that much. He just wanted to push them to the best of their abilities and he wasn't going to be p.c. about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom