The Geno A Show: Episode 1 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Geno A Show: Episode 1

Reaction Score
Hate Geno? This is a classic case of making what I write more than what is there. I did two things:

1. Took Geno to task for the impropriety of the words/phrases he used to humiliate, then mock, Lou....publicly. A mentor---a role inherent in coaching collegiate sports---does neither to those whose well being and development, beyond the physical, are entrusted in his care.
If this equates to I "hate Geno" by your book, you ought to get a new book.

2. Also took to task forum members who essentially barked, some loudly...."yeah, nothing wrong with it"....it being the collective forum chorus following the release of the tape, which chastised and aggrieved Lou, which I previously alluded to. I was vociferous in my wordy thesis to the extent of the grievance inflicted on an undeserving Lou.
As with most things relative, Geno blew past "extra measure of discipline", "tough love" and "ass-chewing".

With respect to Geno and his supporters on the forum---bringing up all of Geno's prior good deeds, wonderful personal traits, et al, won't and can't justify any act of meanness or impropriety, such as the Lou episode....by either.

On the other hand, with respect to Geno's fervent supporters, a simple admission of Geno having done Lou wrong easily mitigates the transgression....whereupon he can credibly indulge in and share all-things-good-Geno-does.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME MY POSTINGS HAVE BEEN CALLED CLASSIC.
MAY I FRAME AND HANG YOUR COMMENT!! THANK YOU.
It was a question---I didn't ask if you hated Geno. I asked How many here (on the By) hate Geno--since it's a site
to cheer on Geno and this team. Something most consider.
Your opinions are yours--use em'/'abuse them.
Abuse is in the eyes of the beholders --you see black darts--others see sun shine. Abuse should only be adjudicate by members of the legal establishment--since it is a criminal charge.
From this posting right now---it appears you have sufficient facts or think it sufficient to make a criminal charge against Geno
My suggestion is --don't hesitate make this official--if you see abuse and do not report it --you are also chargeable.
If you require help in obtaining the method of charging--dial 911 and make your case to the operator.

This will give you the support you seek---maybe the help you need.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Glad you're taking responsibility for it. I thought it was all my fault for making a passing comment about Geno being mean to Lou in one of the game threads when the commercial first aired.

Without question. I am the OP of this fiasco. If you want to do an archeological study of a thread that mushroomed over early readers' inability to read, this is it.

Reaction Score
Sorry this is my first comment on the Boneyard. I'm Class of 72, now live in Carmel, CA. How did I get out here when all my family never left CT? As Mark Twain said to the question about How did California get populated: "God picked up the USA and tilted it toward California, and everything that wasn't screwed down, rolled down into California." Yes, the Left Coast is populated with very loose screws. Whenever I see someone who is efficient and concise, I never fail to ask them, "What part of the East Coast are YOU from?" Only once it was someone raised in California.

Where were we?

What I am most proud of for Connecticut is strong women are raised there. And Geno's ways make me hugely proud because his life work is a standout towards raising kids, supporting them including connecting with his "guys" in the deepest way possible, and showing what women are capable of to the rest of the world: consistent, brave, prolonged excellence.

Ask yourself, who else in the world has not only helped women break through the glass ceiling, but cared enough about women cheating their talent and capability/possibility by badgering and literally pushing these highly talented women right up through the damn glass ceiling?

Who else?

Who else do we know in the world who consistently, without fail, pushes the women he coaches until they either leave or break that ceiling?

Connecticut does this and Geno does this because he cares deeply for ridding this world of women/people who can break that ceiling but never had a mentor to require, at the first step through his doorway, that they either show up or not show up, but if not show up, please do that somewhere else?

This is precisely why I watch EVERY game, wherever I am in the world, because I am proud of what Geno and those in the State of Connecticut do, day in and day out, to be a beacon showing the rest of the world what CAN be done for women everywhere!

If you really achieve greatness in this world, there is a lot of sanding your own rough edges to get through to the top, being the best there is in something. You may have no idea the blood, sacrifices, and humility it truly takes unless you have done that.

Now suppose you have done this, and helped others to do this for so many years?

And after you break through, reach the mountaintop, you can only look back from the lonely precipice and thank God/Goddess for those who never gave up on you, and MADE you change, made you do the diligence to fix yourself and take that next step upwards.

(Myself, I can't figure out how I got over the hill when I don't remember reaching the top!!)

The reason I disagree with you Rocky, is that I am extremely happy they showed Lou's struggles, and in such a deeply vulnerable state of mind, is that too many people see how easy it looks on UCONN's basketball court, that so many do not know or acknowledge or see how hard it is, what our "guys" have to go through, i.e., what it really takes to break through ANY ceiling in this World.

It's good for anyone, young or old, to see the guts it takes to change, to get better, and how humiliating it really is to let yourself be coached, be mentored, and drop into the nitty-gritty of your own soul in order to put that aside and listen.

Rocky, or those who Monday morning (I'd say quarterback, but this is basketball) Point Guard Geno, CD, and the great team working along-side Geno, should really pay attention. Because the whole team have proven that excellence can be achieved consistently. And they do this day in and day out.

This is how you do it. They know how, have put their efforts where their mouth is.

When your jump-starting a car or a human who is dying against their dream, you apply shock.

Those who wail about this fact, have never glimpsed greatness.

You HAVE to shave your ego down to hear how greatness is achieved. Denial is death. Shock must be applied.

Bravo Geno, CD, and his team for leading the way.

Cliff
I lived in Sunnyvale, Calif--and never met a native born Californian EVER..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
i didn't mean to bore you to sleep, I realize that a more patriarchal sense of reflection is a predilection on this site, and going against the grain can be problematical.

I do have a consideration I should share with you as an Admin, do with it as you please, or not. It falls squarely within your purview. It's kind of like an addendum to my wordy thesis:

For the record, I'm an ardent UConn women's basketball fan, and for the most part, a solid Geno fan as well. However, I find there is an incongruous but pervasive near-reverential estimation of Geno here.....sometimes well beyond what is befitting for a man who coaches collegiate basketball, albeit probably better than anyone, which I happily will give him due credit.

BY'ers should be mindful that they aren't the only ones who frequent this site....UConn is after all the center of the universe in women's basketball. The forum is a fan site for sports. It's a social website, not a sanctuary. The forum is a reflection of its membership, what is said and done here creates an image, which is how others perceive it. It is also not insular. If I find the habitual near-veneration of a coach (or anyone else) a turnoff, I'm certain it may also be troubling to less avid UConn and curious non-UConn fans who visit. "Creepy" is how my niece puts some Geno plaudits.

I have teenage nieces, the older one (just a couple years younger than Lou) surfs the site periodically, briefs me on topics of mutual interest, often with a half-smile and an eye roll over the plentiful serving of a faultless Geno, or a paragon Geno. Similar reactions come from the elder's HS basketball crowd. My younger niece is catching on as well.
After a great deal of introspection and reflection, drawing on my extensive life experiences and interactions with a multitude of personas that cross generations and cultural lines, extrapolating a philosophy developed through an often original, yet occasionally imitative, thought process that I, personally, hold to be true for my self, but not necessarily my fellow fans or even my fellow man, I have to say I don't give a good goshdarn what other people think of the Boneyard, its denizens, or its culture.

Reaction Score
After a great deal of introspection and reflection, drawing on my extensive life experiences and interactions with a multitude of personas that cross generations and cultural lines, extrapolating a philosophy developed through an often original, yet occasionally imitative, thought process that I, personally, hold to be true for my self, but not necessarily my fellow fans or even my fellow man, I have to say I don't give a good goshdarn what other people think of the Boneyard, its denizens, or its culture.

I could cheer---but I.G. may see that as kissing up!! However couldn't you have just summed it up with:
I don't give a damn what other people think?? I thought for a second I was reading I.G. until I read the last sentence.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Z is Stevens.
So we have a "T" and a "Z." We had a "D." What else?

CD - several
K - Kaleena
G - Geno, per his wife
H - have we had an H? seems like it
I - nope, there is no "I" in team
J - surely there's been a J
O - does Orangutan count?
P - nope, just at Duke
Phi - sort of
Q - in discussions re Syracuse

others?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm also fairly confidant that what's airing on SNY is a pretty sanitized, tip-of-the-iceberg glimpse of what goes on."
I'm fairly confident you are absolutely right.

Seems to me what he screams at them (in public) during timeouts is much worse.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard!

You should know that your News Links post is the first thing I read every morning, wherever I am in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="rvwsleep: I wonder how Geno would reconcile his admonishing of Lou with his statement of not going after somebody's heart ?[/QUOTE]

Lou's look of despair, to me, was her disappointment in herself, not a breaking of her spirit or heart. Lou seemed fine next game!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Every once and a while I just like to walk up this molehill and remind folks that my objection to a 5 second snippet of film was just that, to the film being shown and not to the fact that this talk between coach and team occurred . I had no idea soap was still being delivered in boxes.
Let me refer you to Amazon.com. It's the Alice's Restaurant of the Internet age.

Reaction Score
He is teaching these young women personal responsibility.
Everyone of these women are of military age .... would you question similar methods from a platoon sergeant? I'll bet you 97% of the people on here who are veterans will tell you they are a better person for the tough lessons they learned in the military.
Was Lou so insubordinate, defiant, dense, or just what was her misdeed, that "teaching her personal responsibility" so required humiliating and mocking her?

You're drawing a parallel between collegiate sports and military combat training? Seriously? Perhaps military service should be a requisite to collegiate sports....then 97% of participants will be "a better person", whatever that means.

Reaction Score
alance

I do mean it. Your exhausting diatribe described Geno as “infallible, unassailable, and unaccountable”, destructive (twice), mocking, verbal abusive, disturbing, victimizer, verbally aggressive, dignity-shredding & abusive of a minor.
A critique that over the top, does invalidate your criticism because it was largely based on one incident-i.e., no balance.
Many posters are and have rightfully questioned the methods that Geno uses to motivate his players. Geno "may" not be diety but he is also not this version of Lucifer you have conjured up.
You're right....my criticism of Geno, as you stated, "was largely based on one incident". How's that a "no balance" issue?

"Over the top" criticism of Geno? Looking at your italicized list of my "exhausting diatribe", I caution you to re-read my wordy thesis so you fully comprehend 1) which criticisms I directed at whom...2) which you embellished ("abusive of a minor": Lou isn't a minor, nor did I say she is)...3) which are your theatrics ("Lucifer? Seriously?).

It's also clear you're conflating my criticism of forum members, with my criticism of Geno. They're two separate entities.

But I'll play your requirement for balance....here it is: Geno made a serious error in judgment with his verbal aggression with Lou....but I have no doubt Geno is a principled man. Good enough?

Your turn....concede that Geno made a serious error in judgment with his verbal aggression with Lou....then you can blunt its effects with a recital of all his goodness.

Lastly...."Geno may not be a deity"? He definitively is not, so why do you serve him up and defend him as one?

Reaction Score
Your turn....concede that Geno made a serious error in judgment with his verbal aggression with Lou....then you can blunt its effects with a recital of all his goodness.

Lastly...."Geno may not be a deity"? He definitively is not, so why do you serve him up and defend him as one?
Blunt its effects? Why would we want to do that? Seems to have had the desired effect, no? I'm sure Geno's emotional appeals are somewhat pre-conceived, with an intentional cause-and-effect motive. This is probably only the 1000th time he's done the same thing, and there have been no recorded player suicides yet - only national championships.

Reaction Score
You're right....my criticism of Geno, as you stated, "was largely based on one incident". How's that a "no balance" issue?

"Over the top" criticism of Geno? Looking at your italicized list of my "exhausting diatribe", I caution you to re-read my wordy thesis so you fully comprehend 1) which criticisms I directed at whom...2) which you embellished ("abusive of a minor": Lou isn't a minor, nor did I say she is)...3) which are your theatrics ("Lucifer? Seriously?).

It's also clear you're conflating my criticism of forum members, with my criticism of Geno. They're two separate entities.

But I'll play your requirement for balance....here it is: Geno made a serious error in judgment with his verbal aggression with Lou....but I have no doubt Geno is a principled man. Good enough?

Who decided that Auriemma made a serious error in judgement? You? That must just be your opinion. And verbal aggression? You've got to be kidding.

Reaction Score
Not sure I can reach Geno at the lofty pedestal accorded him by too many here.
You should try. I'm sure a letter detailing his "serious errors in judgement" could get to him through the UConn WBB office. Maybe he'd see the error of his ways and apologize to all the players he's offended so egregiously. And after all, he needs to be knocked off that high horse of his.;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I am not sure you know what balance is.
Yes Lucifer.
Yes seriously.
That is better but still not good enough.
Geno is a god=diety.
I always defend him when the attacks are so petty.

Reaction Score
Was Lou so insubordinate, defiant, dense, or just what was her misdeed, that "teaching her personal responsibility" so required humiliating and mocking her?

You're drawing a parallel between collegiate sports and military combat training? Seriously? Perhaps military service should be a requisite to collegiate sports....then 97% of participants will be "a better person", whatever that means.
How you drew that meaning from my post ......

This was a post about taking someone out of their family cocoon and placing them in an environment with peers from diverse backgrounds and teaching them to survive and thrive. Sometimes (most times) the lessons are hard and harsh.

Clearly someone has an agenda and I think it is more about Geno in general.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom