The Geno A Show: Episode 1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Geno A Show: Episode 1

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's
I appreciate all this, still I think that little PUBLIC / PUBLISHED vignette with Lou stepped over the line.

It's pretty obvious that Samuelson was devastated. Just look at her terrible performance in the games following Auriemma's "tune up." :rolleyes:

Why does everyone think that these women are so emotionally fragile that they are incapable of dealing
with an ass chewing? I think the reality is that these are some tough cookies. If they weren't they would be playing elsewhere.

Maybe it's some fans that are too sensitive to deal with it.

Reaction Score
Exactly,
It's

It's pretty obvious that Samuelson was devastated. Just look at her terrible performance in the games following Auriemma's "tune up." :rolleyes:

Why does everyone think that these women are so emotionally fragile that they are incapable of dealing
with an ass chewing? I think the reality is that these are some tough cookies. If they weren't they would be playing elsewhere.

Maybe it's some fans that are too sensitive to deal with it.

Exactly, people no what they are getting when you sign with Geno. UConn also looks at kids that they think can handle it and the general UConn perfection ethic, which can be rough at times. There are tons of clips over years of him really getting on players. People need to go back and refresh their memories on what he did to players like Stewie, Taurasi, etc... Also, there is known aspect of good cop/bad cop, where Geno gets on somebody hard and then CD or someone else plays good cop. Geno also will praise players for good play, but not enough to make you get a "big head" or get out of the team concept/culture.

Reaction Score
I am curious if there are any links to that clip that you guys are referring to re: Katie Lou. I'd like to see it before I pass on my own judgement :)

Thanks

Reaction Score
I am curious if there are any links to that clip that you guys are referring to re: Katie Lou. I'd like to see it before I pass on my own judgement :)

Thanks

If you have access to SNY, the program is being rebroadcast at 3 PM and 7:30 PM on Tuesday and
again at 2:30 PM on Wednesday.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I appreciate all this, still I think that little PUBLIC / PUBLISHED vignette with Lou stepped over the line.

What line? What exactly are you arguing to protect? Maybe some definition would clarify your point.

Geno's TV show is part of the routine business of the UConn WCBB program. Players accept that part of the routine and much more (that might be even more dramtic) when they sign their LOI.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Thanks
In my eyes the segment was in no way as the OP characterized it. Nobody was "savaged" as one poster called it. I saw a coach expressing his disappointment in his teams performance, in a calm reasonable manner. If you are a long term Auriemma fan, you'll agree that this was the new Geno, not the ranting maniac (whom I missed) of 20 years ago. As for Samuelson, I did not see tears, I saw sweat. As for "crushed" I didn't see it that way. Attentive, disappointed, tired, maybe a little embarrassed - a lot of things, but I suspect she's heard worse during practice. Does anyone think less of her, or anyone else because it was aired?

Who or whom - where's Kibitzer when you need him?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I personally didn't have an issue with the airing of the clip, nor did I have an issue with anything Geno said. If anything, he was completely correct. He can give those kids everything - he can give them all the tools to succeed - but he can't give them a heart. He can't make them play with heart - that's something they absolutely have to do on their own and find within themselves. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Lou also didn't appear any more devastated than anyone else in that locker room, though that's only my opinion. It appeared she was only sweating and not crying. (My apologies if we're talking about different clips, though. When talking about the moment with KLS in this episode, my mind immediately goes to the bit about her not having her heart in the game or something along those lines. Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

As for everyone asking what game it was from, I believe it was from the opener against FSU. The locker room colors match FSU's colors, if I remember correctly, a lot of the clips were from the FSU and Baylor games.

It's Geno being Geno. It's not even close to being the worst he's said publicly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay. I'm convinced. I've grown soft in my dotage and I should be reveling in our own little soap opera every week or so!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Okay. I'm convinced. I've grown soft in my dotage and I should be reveling in our own little soap opera every week or so!

Your posts reflect someone trying to stand behind our players and be considerate of others. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

Perhaps some of us just have varying notions of what it means to be considerate. In any case, such discussions serve to move us forward.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
In my eyes the segment was in no way as the OP characterized it. Nobody was "savaged" as one poster called it. I saw a coach expressing his disappointment in his teams performance, in a calm reasonable manner. If you are a long term Auriemma fan, you'll agree that this was the new Geno, not the ranting maniac (whom I missed) of 20 years ago. As for Samuelson, I did not see tears, I saw sweat. As for "crushed" I didn't see it that way. Attentive, disappointed, tired, maybe a little embarrassed - a lot of things, but I suspect she's heard worse during practice. Does anyone think less of her, or anyone else because it was aired?

Who or whom - where's Kibitzer when you need him?

While Kibitzer is lying in, a temporary stand-in. You wrote it right: "whom I missed." Easier to see if you write it, "I missed whom." who=nominative (subject) case; whom= object case

Reaction Score
My mom is an old school, good ole days, prim & proper kind of person. She loves Geno but I told her several years ago she would be disappointed if she sat behind the bench and heard the language he used with the players.

Her response: "you don't think Calhoun uses the same language? If it's good enough for the boys, it's good enough for the girls."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

with an ass chewing?
I don't think that those of us who criticized the BROADCAST of that moment think any such thing. Lou and the other players signed up for it and can handle it, as many of you have said. But that doesn't mean that such incidents should be broadcast on SNY to tens of thousands of fans. They didn't sign up for that, and it really isn't any business of the fans anyway.

Reaction Score
Maya probably took it from Geno as well as anyone. You never really saw her demeanor change that much on the court although I suspect she internalized her anger and it just made her play harder, if that was possible. Taurasi, too. I felt bad for Lou too but it's not a question of condoning Geno's behavior or not. I suspect it became part of the culture a long time ago and you learn to deal with it or you leave. I'm sure all of the players support each other and one can only imagine what gets said behind closed doors, but it gets them through to the next game. I suspect the upperclassmen are the true team MVP's in this regard.

Reaction Score
That was actually the second episode. Episode one was back in early December. That clip of Lou is from the All-Access Show on Wednesday night, so you may only have to wait a few more days to see some things you don't like. Geno said that maybe he expects too much of Lou, but I guess that's his way of making great players legendary. Some players can handle it and the rest transfer. In the post-game after the Maryland game, Slocum said she couldn't play for a coach that yells at her, and I immediately thought about Geno and how she would last about one practice in Storrs.

At one of the MD games I went to Brenda was yelling at Shatori on the sideline right in her face then sat her down for the rest of the first half.

Maybe she changed. LOL!

Reaction Score
At one of the MD games I went to Brenda was yelling at Shatori on the sideline right in her face then sat her down for the rest of the first half.

Maybe she changed. LOL!
Slocum, as in Destiny Slocum, the freshman that torched us with those ridiculous 3 pointers. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough is who I think you're thinking of who is good but had a relatively quiet night against us. Destiny apparently doesn't like to be yelled at by the coaches, but was thankful for "coach putting up with me."

Reaction Score
I agree that particular clip, and especially the lingering close-up of Lou's face, should not have been shown. Geno may have been right to say what he said, but those moments should stay inside the locker room. It is supposed to be a family atmosphere, and families keep moments like that among themselves.

Also related to that show, I would like to know what game it was when Geno said at halftime (roughly) that "There's a lot of scared guys in this room right now. I never thought I'd see players in a Connecticut uniform back down and not compete."

During what first half this year would the team's play warrant that comment? Maybe Baylor?
My guess it was FSU game.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry about what you might think the halftime rant by Geno did to KLS. She knows he was just trying to motivate the team.

What's she supposed to look like?

BTW- that last clip of him talking about how the players greet the other team at tip off had me rollin'!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've been to a West Point game and sat behind the bench.. talk about a screamer .. yikes ..
Dave Magarity, the Army coach, is the uncle of Regan Magarity. Regan grew up in Sweden and played on the national team. She is now at ranked Va. Tech and had 24 and 17 against UNC tonight. A few years ago, Regan was quoted as saying that she wanted to play at UConn. BTW, Regan is about 6'3".

12_8_modal_image1.jpg

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I don't think that those of us who criticized the BROADCAST of that moment think any such thing. Lou and the other players signed up for it and can handle it, as many of you have said. But that doesn't mean that such incidents should be broadcast on SNY to tens of thousands of fans. They didn't sign up for that, and it really isn't any business of the fans anyway.

Exactly.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Okay I did some research on when Geno did that halftime speech that is shown in the show.

1. It was halftime of the FSU game. I watched the tape and saw what Chris Dailey was wearing. She is in the video.
2. Lou was 2 for 9 in the first half of that game with three fouls. I saw several misplays on defense. She had four TOs for the game.
3. Saying it was her worse half of the season is an understatement.
4. Geno was annoyed, not only with Lou but he called his team scared. Watch Chris Dailey when he says this. She shakes her head in such a way that she is not agreeing with him at this point.
5. Lou played better in the second half. She got her fourth but never fouled out. This is the game in which Lou and Geno had the classic little chat about what Lou should do about her four fouls. Geno said "it is not my problem, go figure it out."
6. The above is some context. Big picture, Lou has been terrific since. I don't know if calling her out motivated her to the levels she is playing at presently but it certainly did not crush her spirit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom