Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 55 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A lot of schools will refuse to release a player until the new coach is hired and has a chance to talk to the kid.

If Mack wants to bail, that's when it will happen.

Of course, they'll be a feeding frenzy once he does and who knows who else will be involved. Not going to spend any time worrying about him.

Reaction Score
A lot of schools will refuse to release a player until the new coach is hired and has a chance to talk to the kid.

If Mack wants to bail, that's when it will happen.

Of course, they'll be a feeding frenzy once he does and who knows who else will be involved. Not going to spend any time worrying about him.
Exactly re: Mack.

Fishy, what do you think staff is prioritizing this spring? They have a lot of needs to juggle and a strong nucleus, so it's easy to see 5th year guys make a ton of sense but coaching carousel has opened up some kids. I know it's too early for a list possibly but I'm asking more in terms of positional/class needs?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@Zionn Most likely incoming this spring grad transfers? Kind of feels like the KO model might be swing for big talent and if miss, rent experience?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Exactly re: Mack.

Fishy, what do you think staff is prioritizing this spring? They have a lot of needs to juggle and a strong nucleus, so it's easy to see 5th year guys make a ton of sense but coaching carousel has opened up some kids. I know it's too early for a list possibly but I'm asking more in terms of positional/class needs?

Nothing has really changed from the fall - if anything, the season put it in sharper focus - we need two players. Next year's team will still struggle to score and defend/rebound in the front court.

It looks like they're trying to address both, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...vcu-hires-will-wade-as-mens-basketball-coach/

The continuity may not be enough to keep four-star recruit Tevin Mack, a 6-foot-7 small forward out of Columbia, S.C. Mack’s mother, Paula Mack, said Tevin asked for a release from his national letter-of-intent after Smart left for Texas, but VCU has not granted it yet. She said Tevin hasn’t made any final decisions on his college destination.

“The number-one reason why he chose VCU was Coach Smart,” Paula Mack said.

I'd have to imagine he'll be getting his release within the next week, if this is the case. I'd like to see us get involved here again.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
If the #1 reason he chose VCU was due to the coach then we stand a pretty decent chance to lure him our way if he is indeed granted his release. Not every transfer that we were previously heavily involved with is as easy in securing as Purvis was but we can dream right?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Need to jump on this fast if he does indeed ask for release...

Reaction Score
KO better be on the phone...this isn't the time to monitor a situation.

He can't make contact until the release is granted. I'm assuming that, now that Wade has been hired, that should happen relatively soon.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
He can't make contact until the release is granted. I'm assuming that, now that Wade has been hired, that should happen relatively soon.
Yes this is true. Once the release gets granted its open season.

Texas has 2 incoming players who might also ask for a release. But if they don't, Texas has all its scholarships filled assuming Myles Turner declares. That leaves no space for Mack unless Shaka forces some kids out to make room.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Texas has 2 incoming players who might also ask for a release. But if they don't, Texas has all its scholarships filled assuming Myles Turner declares. That leaves no space for Mack unless Shaka forces some kids out to make room.

Texas has two other 4-star SGs who have both stated that they will be honoring their commitments. No way Mack is going to want to be a part of that logjam.

Reaction Score

Turner has declared, but VC lists 2 open spots. Where are you seeing that it's filled?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Turner has declared, but VC lists 2 open spots. Where are you seeing that it's filled?
They have 2 players committed, Eric Davis and Kerwin Roach Jr. Unless I'm still drunk from last night that's 12? I may be wrong though. Actually probably am wrong.

Reaction Score
They have 2 players committed, Eric Davis and Kerwin Roach Jr. Unless I'm still drunk from last night that's 12? I may be wrong though. Actually probably am wrong.

With those two guys included and Turner excluded, they are at 11 scholarships. And 12 wouldn't be filled...

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
With those two guys included and Turner excluded, they are at 11 scholarships. And 12 wouldn't be filled...
Rattlesnakes. It all makes sense now. I would bet money Mack is following Shaka...unless KO can go super saiyan and steal him.

Reaction Score
Well, there's a lot of moving parts, so I wouldn't put money down yet. We'll see.

Reaction Score

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't end up at Texas with Shaka. Granted, the Rick Barnes recruits are honoring their commitments to Texas without him being the coach which will limit playing time for Mack and scholarship availability, I don't see Shaka letting him go anywhere else.

With that said, obviously I'm on board with an all out push for this kid so long as doing so doesn't compromise adding other valuable contributors for next year's team (i.e. 5th year transfers)

caw

Reaction Score

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't end up at Texas with Shaka. Granted, the Rick Barnes recruits are honoring their commitments to Texas without him being the coach which will limit playing time for Mack and scholarship availability, I don't see Shaka letting him go anywhere else.

With that said, obviously I'm on board with an all out push for this kid so long as doing so doesn't compromise adding other valuable contributors for next year's team (i.e. 5th year transfers)

It all depends on how Shaka handled his departure, or rather how Mack felt he handled it. All I know is that I would be plenty pissed if I was a VCU fan.

Reaction Score
It all depends on how Shaka handled his departure, or rather how Mack felt he handled it. All I know is that I would be plenty pissed if I was a VCU fan.

I agree. I would imagine that Shaka called Tevin at some point after he decided to take the job to let him know he was leaving and possibly that he wanted Tevin to follow him to Texas.

Reaction Score

They had to know it was coming. Just a matter of time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rattlesnakes. It all makes sense now. I would bet money Mack is following Shaka...unless KO can go super saiyan and steal him.

AuYWjs4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman