Terrence Samuel Transferring | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand people saying they're glad he's going. It would be one thing if it looked like we were going to be able to fill our scholarships, but even with Gibbs, we'll still have two left. I'd certainly rather have Samuel than not.
I'm not glad he is leaving at all, but this will leave more minutes open for Adams assuming we get Gibbs. I would much rather have him on the floor. If TS was still on the team he would have got minutes, maybe not a lot, but still 10+ which we can now use on potentially higher impact players.

Reaction Score
I'm not glad he is leaving at all, but this will leave more minutes open for Adams assuming we get Gibbs. I would much rather have him on the floor. If TS was still on the team he would have got minutes, maybe not a lot, but still 10+ which we can now use on potentially higher impact players.

The depth chart isn't built from the bottom up. If Adams is outplaying Samuel, his minutes are the priority.

Reaction Score
He was a valuable contributor on the FF team. Wish him well, but he'll end up at a lower D1 school. He'd really be smarter to change and play football, because he's not a very good basketball player. How many PGs miss 100% of their 3s in 60+ games? He's easily the worst shooter at UConn in the last 10 years or maybe ever.

Reaction Score
Because he doesn't want to be the third string point guard.

Then learn how to make a jump shot.

You never want to see a player leave. And T-Sam seemed like a great kid/ teammate. But if he doesn't like Ollie anymore, or is pissed about his future role, he has nobody to blame but himself. He had plenty of opportunities last year to secure a greater role and he repeatedly failed to do so.

Honestly, has he gotten any better at all in his two years here?? He plays for a major D1 powerhouse, and he literalyl still cant make a jump shot (honest question did he even make one 3 pointer in his time here?). His ball-handling is average at best, and if anything his defense regressed this year.

This hurts our depth for sure, but I don't think this is a huge loss. Who knows, I can see him improving a lot and he probably would've been much better player by his senior year. But if we want to have a very good team, I think at best hes the 4th guard on the team. I wish him well.

But if hes pissed at Ollie for trying to find better players, thats his fault. Our backcourt was very very thin last year and he was given more than a fair shot to show what he had and he didn't deliver. That's on him.

Reaction Score
The depth chart isn't built from the bottom up. If Adams is outplaying Samuel, his minutes are the priority.
Agreed, but you can't tell me that KO would completely bench TS. With the potential players we would have with the addition of Gibbs I don't see how he fits in and that would cause internal problems.

Reaction Score
Great. Another one who thinks that his right to free speech doesn't mean that we can't think and say that the speech is idiotic. No one here wanted to ban posters who weren't "rah rah fanboys." Many here wanted to criticize those who are idiotic and assinine enough to actually write that players who contributed to a national championship are'nt division 1 players. There is a difference.
I wish it was easier for people to pick up sarcasm on the net, because @Gurleyman 's post cracked me up, and I can't imagine any way it was meant to be taken literally.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="pj, post: 1319954, member: 2524"There are no minutes for TSam on next year's roster, and maybe not on the following year's roster, especially if Dham moves to small forward[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. At this minute, TSam would have as many or more minutes than last. If Gibbs comes, he would have less minutes but he would still have minutes.
Not sure what you mean by DHam moving to small forward either. That is what he plays outside of the ocassional small lineup.

Reaction Score
I'm sad to see him go. As far as PT or other considerations its a two way street. TS has things he needs to improve on, but KO also needs to put him in situations where he can be successful. I would not be surprised to see him have more success in a different system and i wish him luck.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but you can't tell me that KO would completely bench TS. With the potential players we would have with the addition of Gibbs I don't see how he fits in and that would cause internal problems.

Maybe not completely bench him, but there's a chasm between that and 10mpg. And as far as internal problems go, Samuel hasn't moved up the depth chart because he regressed last year. He didn't earn many minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm sad to see him go. As far as PT or other considerations its a two way street. TS has things he needs to improve on, but KO also needs to put him in situations where he can be successful. I would not be surprised to see him have more success in a different system and i wish him luck.

When you can't shoot, have a mediocre handle, and then start struggling to finish at the rim, that's on you and your deficiencies as a player, not on any system. I wouldn't be surprised to see him perform well at a lower level ala Robert Garrison, but I don't know what system he's excelling in at a high level unless his offensive skill set improves dramatically.

Reaction Score
When you can't shoot, have a mediocre handle, and then start struggling to finish at the rim, that's on you and your deficiencies as a player, not on any system. I wouldn't be surprised to see him perform well at a lower level ala Robert Garrison, but I don't know what system he's excelling in at a high level unless his offensive skill set improves dramatically.
I mostly agree, I guess i should have been more clear that success may well be at a lower level and I do think TS needs to improve a lot of things. I think its possible that a princeton type system with a good passing big man that could feed him the ball on back cuts to the hoop so he could just catch and lay it in would hide his deficiencies in dribbling and jump shooting for example.

Reaction Score
This is not a bad thing for UCONN -- they have parted ways that with two players that really couldn't help much. Samuel (at best) was going to function as a small minutes spell for better players or a defensive attack dog. But he is so limited offensively -- I never ever took layups for granted -- that he wasn't going to help them compete against top talent. He had flashes of excellence during the tourney run -- and I think we will all be forever thankful for the role he played in that -- but if we are going to legitimately compete for championships, then Lubin and Samuel don't belong.

Reaction Score
Right now we have zero point guards in our program with college experience. That's scary. Samuel had his limitations but he provided depth and an insurance policy. Can't blame him for not wanting to be potentially our 3rd string point guard though - kids want to get PT. Not everyone wants to be Donnell Beverly. I have to believe that this is an indicator that Gibbs is on board. I don't think a second freshman PG committing would scare TS off and I don't believe TS would transfer if he was going to be the back up PG next year and get 15-20 MPG.

TS gave us some great minutes in the 2014 tournament, legitimately I'm not sure we win the title without him despite the fact that his contributions were small. Wish he showed some more development during his time here and wish him the best of luck.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Say what you want, this will hurt. Especially if we don't land Gibbs. Regardless, as @Lefty2one said, we have zero point guards even if Gibbs comes here. The kid is a natural SG, not a distributing PG. Hopefully we don't run into problems.

Reaction Score
Say what you want, this will hurt. Especially if we don't land Gibbs. Regardless, as @Lefty2one said, we have zero point guards even if Gibbs comes here. The kid is a natural SG, not a distributing PG. Hopefully we don't run into problems.

Ignoring the fact that "natural SG," as though they grow in nature, is a nonsense term, Gibbs was recruited as a PG, and played primarily at PG for the last two years at Seton Hall.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ignoring the fact that "natural SG," as though they grow in nature, is a nonsense term, Gibbs was recruited as a PG, and played primarily at PG for the last two years at Seton Hall.
Not really - they ran a 2 guard lineup and Gibbs was asked to score more often than pass. Especially when Whitehead got injured.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. This team wouldn't be successful if they had to play Samuel 25+ minutes/night anyway. He will end up at a low D1 program, that is a good indicator of his talent, or lack thereof.

Reaction Score
Not really - they ran a 2 guard lineup and Gibbs was asked to score more often than pass. Especially when Whitehead got injured.

Gibbs scored a lot of points, but he was SHU's top assist man last year, and though his assist rate dropped when he was on the court with Whitehead, his first year there he had an assist % of 29.3. That's about halfway between Shabazz' junior and senior year, and it's higher than Kemba's or Boat's ever was.

Reaction Score
Gibbs scored a lot of points, but he was SHU's top assist man last year, and though his assist rate dropped when he was on the court with Whitehead, his first year there he had an assist % of 29.3. That's about halfway between Shabazz' junior and senior year, and it's higher than Kemba's or Boat's ever was.
a
ssist % is an iffy stat, in the ncaa there are no synergy stats so its difficult to tell who dominates the ball to the detriment of the team... its quite possible gibbs got a lot of assists because of how often the offense ran through him. Like westbrook assists vs cp3 assists. I have never watched a full shu game since we are no longer in their conference so i have no clue about his game.

tsam however was in no shape or form a point guard. one of the worst ball handlers we've had in a long time. he wasn't dribbling, 80% he did his 'stiff arm the defender so they don't strip me' technique. pretty enigmatic because at times he looking like a capable playmaker in the halfcourt... albiet with gross shooting mechanics.

Reaction Score

Of course he was asked to score more once Whitehead got injured. Who was he supposed to pass the ball to?

The "natural point guard thing" is complete nonsense. The fact that Gibbs can actually score shouldn't be used as a knock on his ability to play point guard. And the fact that Terrence Samuel couldn't throw the ball in the ocean doesn't mean he was a "natural point guard" either.

Reaction Score

You may be a little too high on TSam's PG skills. Passing was not a specialty at all and handling was only so-so. He was at best solid and we can't do anything but get better if indeed we get Gibbs. If we don't it could be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom