Terrence Samuel Transferring | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was siting the exceptions. The trend bothers me. But you can't blame the kids. They get one shot and they all think they can be in the NBA.

Reaction Score
TSam was an integral part of the championship team. He really played well when defenses couldn't cheat off their man and clog the lane when UConn had the personnel (shooters like Giff, Bazz, Boat, Daniels and even Kromah). There's very few UConn transfers that will be missed as much as TSsam.
That is pretty much the story with TSam. When we had multiple outside scoring threats he was able to get to the rim but last years team really limited his ability to contribute. TSam is better off transferring to a school where he can get PT and UConn needs a better second ball handler so the transfer is best for everybody.

Reaction Score
TSam was a Donnell Beverly type of player, and they have value with the right case of teammates. Good luck to you, sir. Thanks for the Nova game in 2014.

Are we running at 10 of 13 scholarships now? That's pretty light for this point in the offseason. Weird strategy, but let's wait and see.

Reaction Score
Samuel was an asset to the team that will be sorely missed if we start the season with Sam Cassell as our only backup at guard. He made foul shots and had strengths, but he wasn't a starter on a top 20 team without an improved shot and handle against pressure.

To have an 8 player rotation and compensate for in season illness and injury, and game situations to play small with 3 guards or big with 3 bigs, you really need at least 10 quality players. To get and keep that many good players is really a battle. Talk about needing fingers in the dike. I know Chief00 takes heat but he did allude to another potential transfer when Lubin left and that has proved true in spite of not seeming like there was a logical transfer candidate at the time.

Reaction Score
For my money this drastically increases my interest in Bruce Brown who is the same type of player at a higher level. He said he was staying in 2016 but now I wonder.

Reaction Score
Yeah. We have free speech in this country!

But I guess you can only post here if you are a rah rah fanboy, not someone like me who keeps it real.

Great. Another one who thinks that his right to free speech doesn't mean that we can't think and say that the speech is idiotic. No one here wanted to ban posters who weren't "rah rah fanboys." Many here wanted to criticize those who are idiotic and assinine enough to actually write that players who contributed to a national championship are'nt division 1 players. There is a difference.

Reaction Score
Great. Another one who thinks that his right to free speech doesn't mean that we can't think and say that the speech is idiotic. No one here wanted to ban posters who weren't "rah rah fanboys." Many here wanted to criticize those who are idiotic and assinine enough to actually write that players who contributed to a national championship are'nt division 1 players. There is a difference.

I'm going to exercise my "free speech" rights to point out that anyone that thinks that Samuel leaving is a positive development is a f&$king idiot . . .

Reaction Score
I'm going to exercise my "free speech" rights to point out that anyone that thinks that Samuel leaving is a positive development is a f&$king idiot . . .

Watch all four of our national championship games. One of the few things they all had in common is that we were able to go deeper onto the bench than our opponents. And find not future stars but quality, experienced role players.

Of course losing T Sam is a negative development. The childness of those whining about him not being a Division I player just because he was clearly a role player as opposed to someone who would be "the guy" -- like, I don't know, just looking at our Final Fours, a Souleman Wane or a Craig Austrie or a Jamal Coombs-McDaniel or a Tyler Olander or a Nolan or, even, a T Sam -- astounds me at times.

Reaction Score

And I'm going to exercise my free speech rights to tell you guys that Gurleyman was clearly speaking tongue in cheek.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I fall somewhere in the middle. Let's be totally serious here. Samuel was a decent at best backup PG. Ideally you want ball-handling and shooting from your backup PG...or at least the ability to knock down an open jumper. I'm not sure I saw Samuel hit a jumper all year.

He did play defense, and he did try hard. If Gibbs is on board, Samuel wouldn't have played much at all. Probably less than this yr. I didn't want him to leave, because I don't think he's a bad player, but i'm not heartbroken either.

I also expect Cassell Jr. to step up this yr. He was coming from JuCo, and played like a freshman. Seemed like he was rushing. I think with maturity, his game will come together and he'll be the shooter and backup ball-handler we're looking for. (Behind Gibbs (if he comes) and Adams)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Dude, everything okay? You've been pretty crabby lately.

You're 100% right on this post, regardless. (Well except that I'm not sure that posting on the Boneyard is constitutionally protected. It ought to be though.)

Reaction Score
I fall somewhere in the middle. Let's be totally serious here. Samuel was a decent at best backup PG. Ideally you want ball-handling and shooting from your backup PG...or at least the ability to knock down an open jumper. I'm not sure I saw Samuel hit a jumper all year.

He did play defense, and he did try hard. If Gibbs is on board, Samuel wouldn't have played much at all. Probably less than this yr. I didn't want him to leave, because I don't think he's a bad player, but i'm not heartbroken either.

I also expect Cassell Jr. to step up this yr. He was coming from JuCo, and played like a freshman. Seemed like he was rushing. I think with maturity, his game will come together and he'll be the shooter and backup ball-handler we're looking for. (Behind Gibbs (if he comes) and Adams)
Yeah, I think with Cassell Jr. healthy we will see his offensive game approve and he already was a better point guard than TSAM. He just needs to work on his quickness(maybe injury related) and shot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm late to the party on this and haven't read through the whole thread but I wish TSam the very best. He had a big role in the 2014 championship.

Reaction Score
So much drama. Good luck TSam. Loved your tenacity. Understand your decision. Hope Sammy can pick it up next year as the role player. I'm betting he can.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Will miss you, T but wish you luck wherever you go. Forever a Husky.

pj

Reaction Score
TSam's value was as a complementary piece -- a bigger physical guard who could drive and defend big guards, to complement the small quick outside shooters Shabazz and Boat. But now we have Rodney who is big, physical, and can drive and is much, much better than TSam. There are no minutes for TSam on next year's roster, and maybe not on the following year's roster, especially if Dham moves to small forward.

I think the writing was on the wall and this is good for both parties. Best of luck to TSam, and many thanks for his contributions.

Reaction Score
TSam was a Donnell Beverly type of player, and they have value with the right case of teammates. Good luck to you, sir. Thanks for the Nova game in 2014.

Are we running at 10 of 13 scholarships now? That's pretty light for this point in the offseason. Weird strategy, but let's wait and see.
you say that as though Samuel transferring was part of our staff's plan... But I doubt that's what the case was, I remember a quote from him about what the coaches told him to work on in the off season, I was excited for him next year even though he wouldn't get much PT. Just like him as a presence on the team but he's better than a bench cheerleader so I don't blame the kid

Reaction Score
WHY?

Is this another of what I coined 'inverse pink slips'??

Reaction Score
Certainly not happy to see TS go, he played an integral part in our championship run and I wish him nothing but the best. On the other hand, IF we get Gibbs, I think TS transferring helps the team. Basically divide the 80 PG/SG minutes between Adams, Gibbs and RP and throw a few to SC Jr. This is a big "if" but personally I am confident we snag Gibbs and this move makes me feel even better about the probability.

Reaction Score
On a separate note, TS will undoubtedly leave Uconn with the worst 3 point shooting percentage of all time. Who am I going to scream at the TV about now...

Reaction Score
Sad to see him go. I believe we will miss him on the court more than we think even if Gibbs comes. Not sold on Sam jr hoping he steps up.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
On a separate note, TS will undoubtedly leave Uconn with the worst 3 point shooting percentage of all time. Who am I going to scream at the TV about now...
You will not have a shortage of guys to yell at....Nolan will still be there. ;)

Reaction Score
WeAreUCONN said:
Best News I've Heard in Awhile!!! He did help us win a championship. but too be Honest.. I am glad he is leaving and wish him the very best.

I hate that I'm deigning a response to you but I hate that you supposedly like the team that I love.

Godspeed and best wishes to TSam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits