Tenn gets pounded | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn gets pounded

Reaction Score
Tenn has 22 TOs, and Auburn has only 13 TOs.
That is the difference ...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Classic trap game. They were spurred on my the home crowd and caught lightning in a bottle in the 4th quarter on Monday.

Not the same team in on the road, it would seem.

Kinda reminds me of a certain team Im familiar with..... Beat 4 top 25 teams at home.... lose to the last place SEC team on the road :oops:Head bang

Reaction Score
ND is not a great basketball team. They are extremely overrated due to their history IMHO.

Extremely overrated? If that were true then shouldn't they be rated much lower in computer polls?
They have wins over Washington, DePaul, and Miami. They had the 3rd closest game margin of defeat at UConn.

If they are extremely overrated at 7th, what should they be?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There's something that many people don't understand. It's very easy and natural for a team to get up and ready to play against the best: UConn, Baylor, ND etc. It's not so easy to focus, execute and play with the same energy against Tulsa at the end of a five day road trip. That's hard. To do so is the sign of a good, well coached team. Coaches don't teach effort. They don't teach strong wills. They don't teach athletic ability. They don't teach behavior. They don't teach mental toughness. They don't teach character. They don't teach smarts or basketball IQ. They recruit for it. These are needed qualities to execute under pressure, during adversity, when you're tired, when your opponent isn't as talented, or when your opponent is more talented. This Tennessee team fails because they lack most of these qualities. That's on the coach. This Tennessee team fails because at times they use an antiquated, ineffective offensive strategy. At other times their offensive strategy is 6th grade schoolyard. That's on the coach. It doesn't matter how much talent UT amasses these next two years. The things a program needs to recruit in order to win championships Tennessee fails to do. That is a character flaw in the current coaching administration that will keep this a mediocre program.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
That shows you how bad they are. There's no consistency. If they played this hard the rest of the year they wouldn't have all the losses. And ND is NOT playing like a number 6 team tonight.

TENN plays at Auburn next. Let's see how they look in that game. My guess is they will be back to under-achieving.

Where's ASweet3781 tonight? After the ND win Asweet was contending that TENN wasn't that bad. My quotes above were my comeback about lack of consistency being a sign of a bad team. Not lack of talent just bad team play. Blame it on coaching or the player's personalities but it all equals bad team. I don't care how much talent their is on paper. As I suspected TENN took another step backwards tonight.

Reaction Score
Coaches don't teach effort. They don't teach strong wills. They don't teach athletic ability. They don't teach behavior. They don't teach mental toughness. They don't teach character. They don't teach smarts or basketball IQ. They recruit for it. These are needed qualities to execute under pressure, during adversity, when you're tired, when your opponent isn't as talented, or when your opponent is more talented. This Tennessee team fails because they lack most of these qualities. That's on the coach. It doesn't matter how much talent UT amasses these next two years.

Yes agreed! And Holly has said it herself many times ... that she can't teach good effort, etc.... but she can certainly tolerate bad effort, bad behavior, mental preparedness, etc.... and as i have said many times, the problems of the team always come back to the coach, because she has the power to change things. But in 6 years she has not.... hey come to think of it , neither has the Tenn athletic department.

Reaction Score
I couldn't understand why BYers in the ND to Bridgeport thread were afraid of TN in UCONN's bracket? Why would anyone be worried about TN? I wouldn't be surprised if those 4 recruits withdraw their choice of the Vols before the end of the season!
If UCONN were to play TN in the NCAA's they'd win by 50, maybe more! They'd backdoor and drive on them like the 2000 Finals in Philadelphia!
The greatest moment of my life would be if Holly got a lifetime contract as TN HC (shows you how exciting MY life is)!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I couldn't understand why BYers in the ND 8th in Bridgeport Region thread were afraid of TN in UCONN's bracket? Why would anyone be worried about TN? I wouldn't be surprised if those 4 recruits withdraw their choice of the Vols before the end of the season!
If UCONN were to play TN in the NCAA's they'd win by 50, maybe more! They'd backdoor and drive on them like the 2000 Finals in Philadelphia!
The greatest moment of my life would be if Holly got a lifetime contract as TN HC (shows you how exciting MY life is)!
Tenn is a gross underachiever. Against ND, they showed what they are capable of. There is a slight chance that they would play to their ability against us.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is one game I will be watching the replay of. For Pat.

I don't want to get high and mighty here, but why not let that great coach and woman Rest In Peace tonight? By all means, it's easy to share some schadenfreude, but no need for salt in the wound here. It's bad enough a night that the LVs lost.

Sorry to be preachy, but this was my visceral response. For Pat.

Reaction Score
yes Alex, I admire your sentiment.... but for someone who pulls down 700K and does not have a clue, and consistently admits she does not have a clue of how to fix things to make them better, I have a minimum of sympathy for her.....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't want to get high and mighty here, but why not let that great coach and woman Rest In Peace tonight? By all means, it's easy to share some schadenfreude, but no need for salt in the wound here. It's bad enough a night that the LVs lost.

Sorry to be preachy, but this was my visceral response. For Pat.

I do understand what you're getting at, and I don't mean to be combative, but: If the Vols had won, and I had gone back and watched the replay of the game, would I similarly be preventing her from resting in peace?

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How do they go from beating ND to losing (solidly) to an unranked team???

Until they figure THAT out, they will remain standing right next to little Antony and the Imperials, you know.......on the outside looking in. :cool:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Tenn's loss tonight came on the road. They had made progress against ND and played a strong 1st Q tonight. Then, not only did the wheels come off, but the axles and transmission went flying.

I'm so glad I'm taking the 30th off from work so that I can have a few beers before the USC/UT game. That's going to be a fun night. I had to endure losing something like 40 games in a row to them so every win will be enjoyed to the fullest extent of the law.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I couldn't understand why BYers in the ND to Bridgeport thread were afraid of TN in UCONN's bracket? Why would anyone be worried about TN? I wouldn't be surprised if those 4 recruits withdraw their choice of the Vols before the end of the season!

If she did get a lifetime contract, there would be large angry crowds of LV fans protesting day & night all over the campus, and in front of the president's home,
demanding change. But, I do get your point you sly rascal you. :cool:

Reaction Score
Didn't some suggest that certain LV players would play hard during the ND game because of the national television exposure? The Auburn game - not important = little effort?

Reaction Score
Tennessee players laid out their all in the Notre Dame game on Monday night, then had only two days to rest and regroup before the Auburn game. Our big three--DeShields, Russell, and Nared--have to score well into the double-digits, with at least other player stepping up to have a chance of winning competitive games. They were able to do so for the first quarter of the Auburn game but in the second quarter they began to run out of gas. We have no other reliable substitutes so DeShields and Nared had to continue with only a few short breaks. Auburn brought in fresh players and maintained a full court press for the entire game which further contributed to wearing us down and increasing their lead. This also led a rash of turnovers. Auburn leads the league in opponent TOs. We will have more losses interspersed with a few good wins. It is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom