Tenn gets pounded | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tenn gets pounded

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UConn also played a Texas on Dec 4 in CT, ND on the road on the 7th, and then KState on the road on the 11th, all with a short bench. And Saniya was out for the KState game.
Love your avatar. Again.

Reaction Score
I am not sure how a coach who just attracted the #1 recruiting class in the counting can be called a bad recruiter. I see you attempted to explain; maybe I just didn't follow your point.

I'm not saying this is what the OP meant, but just because she recruited the #1 recruiting class doesn't mean she's a great recruiter. Coaches should be recruiting not the best players, but the best players that fit their program, the needs of the program. Did she do that? I can't answer that. Don't really know what and if Tenn got the players they needed. I do know, they definitely don't have the players they need playing for them right now.

Reaction Score
Consider the incredible inconsistency of execution and effort demonstrated by teams like Tenn, OSU and others over the past few seasons, and then remind yourself of Geno's remarks to the Huskies at the beginning of the season, as seen on the All-Access special:

"Great players don't get tired.....We're not here to coach your energy level and your effort. That's a given. You wouldn't be here if I had to coach that. That's what other coaches have to do. They have to coach energy. We don't."

Whether it's the type of players that Tenn recruits or the inability of the coaching staff to get them to play hard all the time, the Lady Vols clearly struggle with their energy & effort, something that never was an issue when Pat Summit was the coach.

Reaction Score
Here is a telling statistic: Tennessee has played five SEC games. If you subtract the scoring of DeShields, Russell, Nared, plus Nunn (who plays with effort, but is only able to play about ten minutes per game), the rest of the team has scored a TOTAL of only 50 points in these five games. In her post game comments yesterday Russell excoriated some of her teammates for sloppy play and lack of effort. I was glad to see her speak up.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I am not sure how a coach who just attracted the #1 recruiting class in the counting can be called a bad recruiter. I see you attempted to explain; maybe I just didn't follow your point.

Here's one explanation...
Let's rank her #1 class next year at 100%
This year she recruited no one, nada...Let's call that zero.

Average the two together and you get the failing grade of 50%.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm not saying this is what the OP meant, but just because she recruited the #1 recruiting class doesn't mean she's a great recruiter.

I didn't assert that she was a great recruiter. I'm questioning the claim that she is a "bad recruiter". Based upon what evidence?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

f607b5e4830aa84009b1f9c00d3ab6a1.gif

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Consider the incredible inconsistency of execution and effort demonstrated by teams like Tenn, OSU and others over the past few seasons, and then remind yourself of Geno's remarks to the Huskies at the beginning of the season, as seen on the All-Access special:

"Great players don't get tired.....We're not here to coach your energy level and your effort. That's a given. You wouldn't be here if I had to coach that. That's what other coaches have to do. They have to coach energy. We don't."

Whether it's the type of players that Tenn recruits or the inability of the coaching staff to get them to play hard all the time, the Lady Vols clearly struggle with their energy & effort, something that never was an issue when Pat Summit was the coach.

This is one of the reasons (there are others) UConn is successful year in and year out. It's the system, and the players Geno recruits to play in it. The players he gets are not always marquee players (sometimes they are), but they are players that are self motivated, who want to get better each year, who will sacrifice their game for the godd of the team, to become the best player they can be. Players that will seamlessly fit into his system, and totally buy in to what he wants and expects them to do. When Geno and staff do home visits with potential recruits, they don't have to sell UConn to the family. Based on UConn's legacy, their recent history of winning national championships, and graduates going forward and being successful in the spotrs and business world, UConn sells itself.

Players choose programs for different reasons. It's been said and acknowledged many times here in the yard that UConn is not for everyone. But the ones that do come here know what lies ahead, and what they can expect to achieve during their tenure in the program. Every player that has gone through Geno and CD's program is a living breathing testimonial of how great and unique this program is, not to mention the graduation rate for players that come to Storrs and stay for 4 years is 100%. That's not the case at every program.

Many of their former players come back to attend home games and other basketball related functions on a regular basis. It's because of their love for the game, and their appreciation and respect for Geno and CD. They're "Huskies for life". Each one of them can/will give you chapter and verse on what this program has meant to them. Every coach cannot bring the best out in a player. Those coaches than can are rare, and we know who they are.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's one explanation...
Let's rank her #1 class next year at 100%
This year she recruited no one, nada...Let's call that zero.

Average the two together and you get the failing grade of 50%.
Actually you are wrong, she recruited quite a bit, she just lost out on the girls signing elsewhere. This happens all the time to programs if they target a specific position or need and then that player chooses another school. It happened to Muffet this year when she was trying for Walker and some bigs. I will be on record to say yes, she can recruit! She now needs to recruit two new top notch offensive and game tactic assistants.

Reaction Score
Awesome movie, one of my favorites
Sorry to get into OT territory, but do you watch Empire? My uncertainty about seeing this movie is that I see Taraji P and I think Cookie Lyon. Hard to then accept her as a NASA scholar with bows in her hair. It'd be kinda like having Joan Collins play Eleanor Roosevelt.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry to get into OT territory, but do you watch Empire? My uncertainty about seeing this movie is that I see Taraji P and I think Cookie Lyon. Hard to then accept her as a NASA scholar with bows in her hair. It'd be kinda like having Joan Collins play Eleanor Roosevelt.
No I havent seen Empire. She must be an actress with great range.

Reaction Score

Very good movie. Unbelievable that it took 60 years for this amazing story to come out. I love Empire...you will not see Cookie Lyon.

Reaction Score
Here is a telling statistic: Tennessee has played five SEC games. If you subtract the scoring of DeShields, Russell, Nared, plus Nunn (who plays with effort, but is only able to play about ten minutes per game), the rest of the team has scored a TOTAL of only 50 points in these five games. In her post game comments yesterday Russell excoriated some of her teammates for sloppy play and lack of effort. I was glad to see her speak up.

I have to laugh a bit, because in the past few games, which i reviewed yesterday, Mercedes played uninspired ball, to the point where she was just standing around.... she absolutely does not have the right to call out anyone.... just my opinion...... #1 recruit in the entire country ....6 foot 6..... and she is not exactly a force on the inside with either talent or hustle....

Again JMO

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Did she call out the players specifically? Who does she (or fans) think is not putting in the effort?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually you are wrong, she recruited quite a bit, she just lost out on the girls signing elsewhere. This happens all the time to programs if they target a specific position or need and then that player chooses another school. It happened to Muffet this year when she was trying for Walker and some bigs. I will be on record to say yes, she can recruit! She now needs to recruit two new top notch offensive and game tactic assistants.

Actually I am (mostly) correct
The definition of the word (way down in the bottom) does allow for trying to get someone to play, for you, join your army, whatever...but the main definition is not the attempt but the results.
Undoubtedly, she attempted to convince some prospects to come and play for her and her vaunted program.
Seemingly, last season's prospects had a higher IQ with regard what they were signing up for (or in this case not signing up for) then next year's bunch, which may say something about the collective intelligence of the country as a whole on this auspicious day. :)

noun
a newly enlisted or drafted member of the armed forces.
a new member of a group, organization, or the like.
a fresh supply of something.
verb (used with object)
to enlist (a person) for service in one of the armed forces.
to raise (a force) by enlistment.
to strengthen or supply (an armed force) with new members.
to furnish or replenish with a fresh supply; renew.
to renew or restore (the health, strength, etc.).
to attempt to acquire the services of (a person) for an employer:
She recruits executives for all the top companies.
to attempt to enroll or enlist (a member, affiliate, student, or thelike):
a campaign to recruit new club members.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Or maybe seeing some chubby guy from a sitcom like "Parks and Recreation" becoming a mega movie star is like Chris Pratt headlining Jurassic Park 4.

Reaction Score
My point is - The number 1 recruiting class "award" is an arbitrary determination by people involved in rating High School players. It is not a rating of how good a player will perform in a given program. It is up to a school's coaching staff to determine which athletes will fit best into their particular program.

Although Holly's recruits have been highly ranked, they have not performed well in her program and have not been developed over time. Additionally, there were other highly ranked and desired recruits that did not choose Tennessee despite the program's past success. To me this implies recruits have doubts about Holly's ability.

In my opinion, all this adds up to bad recruiting at a program that probably benefits recruiting wise from it's past glory. I suppose we'll see how things work out this and next year.

Reaction Score
My point is - The number 1 recruiting class "award" is an arbitrary determination by people involved in rating High School players. It is not a rating of how good a player will perform in a given program. It is up to a school's coaching staff to determine which athletes will fit best into their particular program.

Although Holly's recruits have been highly ranked, they have not performed well in her program and have not been developed over time. Additionally, there were other highly ranked and desired recruits that did not choose Tennessee despite the program's past success. To me this implies recruits have doubts about Holly's ability.

In my opinion, all this adds up to bad recruiting at a program that probably benefits recruiting wise from it's past glory. I suppose we'll see how things work out this and next year.

Yeah, and why hasn't anyone really grabbed the brass ring in the past few years once they got to TN?? I remember when Pat was so distraught at her team in her last couple of years, and in effect guaranteed the starting PG spot to incoming frosh Massengale.... i think she was #3 recruit in entire country.... and she really did not transform things there.... They had Stricklen, who i thought was terrific, but her classmates, equally as heralded, were not much. Mercedes had bad feet first year, but even 100% healthy, she has not been a game changer on inside, though she has played adequately.....

Seeing LVs vs. ND on Monday, where they played so well, and inspired brand of hoops.... you would think they could bring that sort of effort every night...... Diamond was incredible. Others were full of energy..... turnovers were at a minimum..... they should play with that motivation each and every game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Although Holly's recruits have been highly ranked, they have not performed well in her program and have not been developed over time.

Now you are talking about player development. There are legitimate questions in that area. That not recruiting. Her recruiting results are excellent. They may turn out to be poor fits, but if is almost impossible to know whether that is a recruiting failure or a development failure. At most, her recruiting ability would not be accuraltely labeled the best of all time, but that is light years from "bad". Over 330 coaches have recruiting worse - are you saying that virtually every head coach in the country is a bad recruiter?

Reaction Score
The luxury items (Mercedes and Diamond) scored 43 points combined. They beat the remaining LVs badly.

Pat Summit fueled the Tennesee-Uconn rivalry that helped build modern wcbb. Pat was a fire and brimstone coach. She benched Candace Parker. She anointed Holly Warlick to continue a proud winning tradition. Unfortunately, that's where the similarity ended. A coach expressing incredulity, or saying we have to look at the film, when the amateur onlookers are fairly certain that they are witnessing confusion and character flaws only postpones the inevitable. On paper the Volunteers have capable athletes, it's what's done with them that's fueling the critical firestorm.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm so glad I'm taking the 30th off from work so that I can have a few beers before the USC/UT game. That's going to be a fun night. I had to endure losing something like 40 games in a row to them so every win will be enjoyed to the fullest extent of the law.
is Wilson back? (I could have searched around but haven't read anything today)

Reaction Score
is Wilson back? (I could have searched around but haven't read anything today)

Yes she played 15 minutes against Ole Miss to knock off the rust. She had 6 points & 6 rebs on 3/5 shooting.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes she played 15 minutes against Ole Miss to knock off the rust. She had 6 points & 6 rebs on 3/5 shooting.
great, hopefully she's a full strength when they play UConn... I actually think South Carolina will (can) win cause their bigs are elite unlike Baylor's

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom