SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football

Reaction Score
I am too but its like 5 million. I thought they could get 4 for tier 3 and football conservatively.

Is the “tier” system also something of a paradigm we should break? I always read on here about tier 1, 2, 3 etc. Was that all just stuff made up within our contract structure of ESPN? If we have all the rights to football properties as an independent ... can’t we just sell whatever we want?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Saw this elsewhere and I am even more giddy: Since the Big East contract is for all sports sans football- doesn't that mean that SNY doesn't need to sub license from Fox since the Big East doesn't have a football league? This means SNY doesn't need to pay for the home games. More money to the deal to UConn? Key will be road games so we could get maybe a full season on SNY!!

Reaction Score
Saw this elsewhere and I am even more giddy: Since the Big East contract is for all sports sans football- doesn't that mean that SNY doesn't need to sub license from Fox since the Big East doesn't have a football league? This means SNY doesn't need to pay for the home games. More money to the deal to UConn? Key will be road games so we could get maybe a full season on SNY!!
That's what I'm thinking, too....

Reaction Score
Here are some quick numbers to see how this works if SNY stays involved:

AAC deal was $7 million for everything annually full stop until 2032 (12 years).

Under the Big East, you have the following:
  • we will assume $10 million AAC buyout amortized over 12 years is a loss of $830k annually
  • a buy in to the Big East of $3.5 million amortized over 12 years is a loss of $290k annually
  • I believe Big East TV deal nets about $4 million annually per member
  • current SNY deal was $1.1 million annually for some MBB, a lot of WBB, and 1 FB game along with Geno Auriemma show and some pre, post, game and year end shows
    • let's conservatively bump this up to $1.5 million annually for the same arrangement but with more FB
  • now factor in a figure thrown around today of $2 million in travel savings
To summarize, without factoring in higher attendance with regional rivalries in MBB/WBB, increased tournament shares from NCAA tournament, or an increase in donations, the Big East deal annually nets out $6.4 million annually based on the conservative estimates and limited info we have today.

I now see why UConn looked at the AAC TV deal and said no thanks.

Reaction Score

AAC deal was $7 million for everything annually full stop until 2032 (12 years).

• we will assume $10 million AAC buyout amortized over 12 years is a loss of $830k annually
  • a buy in to the Big East of $3.5 million amortized over 12 years is a loss of $290k annually
  • current SNY deal was $1.1 million annually for some MBB, a lot of WBB, and 1 FB game along with Geno Auriemma show and some pre, post, game and year end shows
    • let's conservatively bump this up to $1.5 million annually for the same arrangement but with more FB
To summarize, without factoring in higher attendance with regional rivalries in MBB/WBB, increased tournament shares from NCAA tournament, or an increase in donations, the Big East deal annually nets out $6.4 million annually based on the conservative estimates and limited info we have today.

If SNY gets six home games, were getting more than $1.5mm.

Reaction Score
Word is the Big East can be re-worked with a new member now. Not sure if that will lead to increased revenue but FOX wants to wait until they see UConn's official new start date. I think the deal may be worth more once they re-negotiate.

Reaction Score
If SNY gets six home games, were getting more than $1.5mm.

You would hope so, but just wanted to be conservative. Call it a straight $2 and it adds up exactly to the AAC deal without accounting for more exposure for MBB/WBB, better recruiting, and better experience for fans and still not accounting for other factors cited above.

Then factor in @BFieldHusky saying FOX deal can be renegotiated and that $4 million figure can increase too.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

This is good but there’s still other ancillary costs (CFP payout, IMG, etc) that we need to calculate in to get the “true” cost. This is a financial windfall for the university in the long run no doubt

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Word is the Big East can be re-worked with a new member now. Not sure if that will lead to increased revenue but FOX wants to wait until they see UConn's official new start date. I think the deal may be worth more once they re-negotiate.
You would hope so, but just wanted to be conservative. Call it a straight $2 and it adds up exactly to the AAC deal without accounting for more exposure for MBB/WBB, better recruiting, and better experience for fans and still not accounting for other factors cited above.

Then factor in @BFieldHusky saying FOX deal can be renegotiated and that $4 million figure can increase too.
Believe if they go to 12 Big East gets an extra $100mm from Fox. Think I saw that somewhere.

Reaction Score
This is good but there’s still other ancillary costs (CFP payout, IMG, etc) that we need to calculate in to get the “true” cost. This is a financial windfall for the university in the long run no doubt

Yea there are other costs unaccounted for on both sides of the equation (more buy games on the Indy side, for example), more just illustrated how the gap can be closed here pretty quickly while not being stuck behind a paywall with limited exposure on a network that has chosen not to care about your university.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
SportsNet New York
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SportsNet New York (SNY) is an American regional sports network that is owned by Sterling Entertainment Enterprises, LLC, itself a joint venture between the New York Mets(which owns a controlling 65% interest), Charter Communications through its acquisition of Time Warner Cable in May 2016 (which owns 27%) and Comcast, through its NBC Sports Group subsidiary (which owns 8%). The channel primarily broadcasts games and related programming involving the Mets, but also carries supplementary coverage of the Mets and the New York Jets as well as college sports events.

SportsNet New York is available on cable and fiber optic television providers throughout the New York metropolitan area and New York state; it is also available nationwide on satellite via DirecTV.

The New York metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the world by urban landmass, at 4,495 sq mi (11,640 km2).[16] The metropolitan area includes New York City (the most populous city in the United States), Long Island, and the Mid and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the five largest cities in New Jersey: Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison, and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury, and their vicinities.

The New York metropolitan area remains, by a significant margin, the most populous in the United States, as defined by both the Metropolitan Statistical Area(20.3 million residents in 2017)[13] and the Combined Statistical Area (23.7 million residents in 2016).[17]

In August 2010, the University of Connecticut announced a multi-year deal with SportsNet New York to become "the official television home" of UConn Huskies football and men's basketball. SNY will feature 300 hours of Huskies-related programming annually, including 120 hours of game coverage.[10] In May 2012, SNY signed a four-year agreement with the university to become the exclusive broadcaster of the Huskies women's basketball team (assuming the regional rights from Connecticut Public Television), agreeing to air a minimum of 17 games per year.

Availability[edit]
At its launch, it was originally expected that SNY would experience issues with trying to gain carriage on Cablevision, as the Mets moved their game telecasts from that company's two regional sports networks, MSG Network and FSN New York (now MSG Plus). The situation was similar to that experienced by the YES Network, the Yankees ended its broadcasting agreement with Cablevision. Cablevision filed a lawsuit against Sterling Entertainment Enterprises on the grounds that the franchise might have violated their contract, which theoretically had one year left to run, as well as the right of last refusal. However, a judge ruled in favor of Sterling Entertainment, essentially stating that the Mets had voided their deal with Cablevision entirely by paying a specified buyout fee, believed to have exceeded $50 million.
Comcast began carrying the network on its Hartford area systems on March 31, 2008. Then in July 2008, just days after the University of Connecticut signed its broadcast deal with SNY, Cox Communications began carrying SportsNet New York on channel 62 throughout its Connecticut service area. On August 29, 2011, the network launched a secondary feed for Connecticut, SNY-CT.[14]
SNY is also available on Comcast systems in Palm Beach County, Florida and nationally on Verizon FiOS. However, due to broadcasting rules imposed by Major League Baseball that restrict local telecasts to within their designated broadcast territory, Mets games televised by the network are blacked out, although pre-game and post-game shows and other non-event programming is cleared for broadcast in Palm Beach County.
Beginning in 2017, SNY made Mets games available for live Internet streaming to subscribers via its website and the NBC Sportsapp.[15]
Looks like all of NY State, northern NJ, and southwestern CT.

That’s pretty good, I guess.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

If we’re gonna do a full calculus also have to account for loss in bowl revenue sharing
BD256578-37E8-4D48-BA8A-895DE90C6A6A.gif

Reaction Score

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Well, excuse me, please, but Vin Scully was the absolute best. And please, LSMFT and the One Beer to Have When You Are Having More Than One.
Vin was the best. I was in Illinois for a few years and Jack Buck was really good doing the Cardinals games.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yup. Bowl revenue is way over-exaggerated, particularly for a G5 conference with their crap bowls.
Also if we are an Independent and get to a Bowl we get to keep all the revenue, not split it with 12 programs. Sounds like more money to me.

Reaction Score
Can the drama queens on this board put a cork in it? The President of SNY gave us more love today than anyone from ESPN or the AAC has given us in 6 years. This ridiculous fantasy that the AAC was going to get us into a P5 conference has almost bankrupted the athletic department. Now UConn is positioned for survival in football and a return to success in hoops, and will be better positioned to join a P5 if they ever open their doors again. That was never going to happen in the AAC.

I have been saying this for years, and I was 1000% right. Now support the program, or don't. Just stop the whining.
Will you just stop whining about the whining.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom