SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Football is dead. The quicker people accept it the easier it will be.

Fans in denial are falling for Every false glimmer of hope.

“We will be fine as an independent, it’s even better than AAC! Look at Notre Dame and BYU!”

“Ritter said they aren’t giving up on UCONN football!”

“President Herbst says they have options! That must mean they are good options!”

“We have the AAC right where we want them! They have to keep the football program!”

“SNY is interested! The lucrative deal will cause football to take off and never look back again!”

It’s over folks. The program is a dead man walking.

Nobody to schedule in 2020 and the transfers will likely be crippling.
Just because you and some UConn Football haters say it does not make it so.

Reaction Score
Do you think I want the program to die? So many awesome memories at the Rent, cheering the players on in great years and poor years.

It’s over. It pains me to say that.
Look -- I understand where you are coming from. There are plenty of politicians in CT that want to kill it to save money as well as plenty of basketball fans that never wanted a decent FB team. But give Randy a chance. He has some promising transfers. With our backs against the wall, it might give the team a much needed boost. We have a brand, even if it is weak, and we have ties to New York metro region. There is some potential here.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Anything public between UConn and the AAC at this point is posturing on the buyout. Aresco took 2 days of nothing to sound like a stilted lover. The AAC has a conference game conundrum if they throw us out and too early and scheduling problem as well. It is smarter for the AAC to have us stay in football for 2 years and negotiate at $10 million than throw us out in football and lose some of the buyout in court!!

Reaction Score
So two things can be true at the same time.
1.The move to the BE is good for UConn.
2.The football program isn't dead--or even dying. All the naysayers have been overlooking some of the positives of being Independent, including now the interest of SNY. Let's just see what happens before "abandoning fandom".

I don't think it is dead - but I'd like to see a schedule first.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Football is dead. The quicker people accept it the easier it will be.

Fans in denial are falling for Every false glimmer of hope.

“We will be fine as an independent, it’s even better than AAC! Look at Notre Dame and BYU!”

“Ritter said they aren’t giving up on UCONN football!”

“President Herbst says they have options! That must mean they are good options!”

“We have the AAC right where we want them! They have to keep the football program!”

“SNY is interested! The lucrative deal will cause football to take off and never look back again!”

It’s over folks. The program is a dead man walking.

Nobody to schedule in 2020 and the transfers will likely be crippling.

Can the drama queens on this board put a cork in it? The President of SNY gave us more love today than anyone from ESPN or the AAC has given us in 6 years. This ridiculous fantasy that the AAC was going to get us into a P5 conference has almost bankrupted the athletic department. Now UConn is positioned for survival in football and a return to success in hoops, and will be better positioned to join a P5 if they ever open their doors again. That was never going to happen in the AAC.

I have been saying this for years, and I was 1000% right. Now support the program, or don't. Just stop the whining.

Reaction Score
Having Hulu Live (Or any other streaming cable), out of state we’d have to pay for SNY....then again I’d have to pay for ESPN+ anyways so it’s a wash....does SNY offer something where I can pay X dollars a month and use the app?

Reaction Score
Having Hulu Live (Or any other streaming cable), out of state we’d have to pay for SNY....then again I’d have to pay for ESPN+ anyways so it’s a wash....does SNY offer something where I can pay X dollars a month and use the app?

YouTube tv has SNY .... it also gains you access to espn3 for other games as any cable outlet would

Reaction Score
This guy makes it sound like we are losing a ton of money on this move. I hope we thought all this through on the total amount before we made the move.

Reaction Score
Can the drama queens on this board put a cork in it? The President of SNY gave us more love today than anyone from ESPN or the AAC has given us in 6 years. This ridiculous fantasy that the AAC was going to get us into a P5 conference has almost bankrupted the athletic department. Now UConn is positioned for survival in football and a return to success in hoops, and will be better positioned to join a P5 if they ever open their doors again. That was never going to happen in the AAC.

I have been saying this for years, and I was 1000% right. Now support the program, or don't. Just stop the whining.

That’s rich coming from the guy who wanted to disband football. Don’t preach about supporting the program.

Reaction Score

1) No. Will you go back to the basketball board to continue your victory lap?
2) No one took you seriously before and no one takes you seriously now.

Reaction Score
Here's thing to keep in mind re: SNY:

Football, as a sport, is still the most "sure thing" in broadcasting. You put it on and some people will watch.

UConn vs New Mexico State is going to draw substantially more viewers than just about anything else SNY could broadcast on a Saturday in the fall (it's not like UConn will have to compete with the Mets).

Therein lies the value that UConn football offers SNY.

Reaction Score
Here's thing to keep in mind re: SNY:

Football, as a sport, is still the most "sure thing" in broadcasting. You put it on and some people will watch.

UConn vs New Mexico State is going to draw more substantially more viewers than just about anything else SNY could broadcast on a Saturday in the fall (it's not like UConn will have to compete with the Mets).

Therein lies the value that UConn football offers SNY.

This x1000. People are forgetting that the opening weekend of the AAF, a league with no brand power whatsoever before folding a mere weeks later, had better ratings opening weekend on CBS Sports Network than primetime NBA basketball simultaneously being aired on ABC!?! People love football, even if it is bad football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not surprised, but actually getting confirmation that SNY is a ready and willing partner in this is huge for the independence venture.

The entire move is based on SNY.

SNY gets about $3 a month from about a million cable homes in CT that aren’t in Ffld Cty.

They were going to be dropped and lose $36 million annually overnight without UConn

Even if UConn gets 15% of that - they are on their way to being double TV revenue of everyone in the AAC.

When I smacked around the AAC truthers about the SNY women’s deal for a month.... value is value.

Reaction Score
This x1000. People are forgetting that the opening weekend of the AAF, a league with no brand power whatsoever before folding a mere weeks later, had better ratings opening weekend on CBS Sports Network than primetime NBA basketball simultaneously being aired on ABC!?! People love football, even if it is bad football.

And how often do the broadcast rights to a FBS Flagship state school fall into the lap of a regional sports network?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom