SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Biggest thing UConn needs to build out a future schedule is P5's schools treating UConn like they do the AAC schools currently.

P5 schools have a "fluid" list of AAC schools which are considered equal to P5 schools for out of conference scheduling.

UConn needs that to effectively schedule.
Thats the part we need Fox to help us with. Help nudge opinion in our direction. Help get a few more P5 games going.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would also caution that there’s a possibility that what he’s talking about are buy games against major opponents

At this point that's not important. Means we get a check for a one off road game and write one for a one off home game. Getting a schedule that can be marketed to fans and recruits is job #1, that should lead to winning more games, job #2.

As long as the money coming in for these arrangements is greater than that going out, it's fine. The biggest threat is not being able to fill 12 games a year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn has let it be known that the Big East will shave millions off their travel budget. The Big East/Fox deal will give them what? About $4 Million? If UConn can supplement that with an SNY deal for T-3 rights AND a separate one for football for a fixed amount plus maybe a profit share for reaching certain ratings/attendance goals, It might be possible to eclipse what they were going to get from ESPN in the AAC (Oh, I forgot buy games. UConn will have to accept buy games.). I might find my way to get fully on board. The biggest advantage to the AAC was the number of willing opponents and bowl tie-ins. The more I read, I get a little more comfortable that, despite themselves, they might pull it off. They may also give a road map for other programs who believe they are worth more than ESPN is giving them credit for and blow the whole farging thing up. Small mercies.

Though someone said yesterday (and I agree) that the fact remains that the administration went forward with this deal with no inclination as to the survival of the football program, if this works out, they will have fallen in feces and come up smelling like rose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has let it be know that the Big East will shave millions off their travel budget. The Big East/Fox deal will give them what? About $4 Million? If UConn can supplement that with an SNY deal for T-3 rights AND a separate one for football for a fixed amount plus maybe a profit share for reaching certain ratings/attendance goals, It might be possible to eclipse what they were going to get from ESPN in the AAC (Oh, I forgot buy games. UConn will have to accept buy games.). I might find my way to get fully on board. The biggest advantage to the AAC was the number of willing opponents and bowl tie-ins. The more I read, I get a little more comfortable that, despite themselves, they might pull it off. They may also give a road map for other programs who believe they are worth more than ESPN is giving them credit for and blow the whole farging thing up. Small mercies.

Though someone said yesterday (and I agree) that the fact remains that the administration went forward with this deal with no inclination as to the survival of the football program, if this works out, they will have fallen in feces and come up smelling like rose.

FYI according to the Providence newspaper, the addition of UConn can re-open the Fox TV deal and they believe it could increase by 2 million.

Husky25

Reaction Score
FYI according to the Providence newspaper, the addition of UConn can re-open the Fox TV deal and they believe it could increase by 2 million.

This made me wonder: What if Fox offered UConn either $2 Million or help filling out their football schedule?

It also reminds me of that old Pizza Hut commercial from the mid-90s introducing the stuffed crust, where Jerry Jones asks Deion Sanders a series of questions, to which the answer is always, "Both."

FOX: "So What'll it be, UConn. $2mil or scheduling assistance?"

UConn: "Both, FOX. Both."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This made me wonder: What if Fox offered UConn either $2 Million or help filling out their football schedule?

It also reminds me of that old Pizza Hut commercial from the mid-90s introducing the stuffed crust, where Jerry Jones asks Deion Sanders a series of questions, to which the answer is always, "Both."

FOX: "So What'll it be, UConn. $2mil or scheduling assistance?"

UConn: "Both, FOX. Both."

what a company

Husky25

Reaction Score
what a company

I'd rather have the question posed where UConn can answer, "both," to 15? $20 Million? But hey, UConn needs to cross this bridge before worrying about the next.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Football is dead. The quicker people accept it the easier it will be.

Fans in denial are falling for Every false glimmer of hope.

“We will be fine as an independent, it’s even better than AAC! Look at Notre Dame and BYU!”

“Ritter said they aren’t giving up on UCONN football!”

“President Herbst says they have options! That must mean they are good options!”

“We have the AAC right where we want them! They have to keep the football program!”

“SNY is interested! The lucrative deal will cause football to take off and never look back again!”

It’s over folks. The program is a dead man walking.

Nobody to schedule in 2020 and the transfers will likely be crippling.

Time for you to go back to the hoop boards and leave football to actually fans

Reaction Score
Thats the part we need Fox to help us with. Help nudge opinion in our direction. Help get a few more P5 games going.

Fox doesn't care about our football team. They got the team(s) they do care about (basketball).

Reaction Score
Fox doesn't care about our football team. They got the team(s) they do care about (basketball).
Fox cares about UConn's brand. It all intertwines. They wanted us for basketball and now they'll want our basketball to do as well as possible. Beating P5 teams brings eyes to successful basketball as well. They feed off each other.

Reaction Score
Fox cares about UConn's brand. It all intertwines. They wanted us for basketball and now they'll want our basketball to do as well as possible. Beating P5 teams brings eyes to successful basketball as well. They feed off each other.

I didn't mention the "brand", I mentioned the football team. Care to address that, or are we just moving goalposts here?

Reaction Score
One thing I've learned about life. People attack each other more if they worship the same thing than worshipping something different.

Didn't say I am innocent.

Reaction Score
I directly explained why Fox is incentivized to help football. Did you read at all?

I'm telling you they won't. Not even a little bit.

They got what they wanted, which was the basketball program. They have no incentive to help out the football team, no matter how badly you want it to be so.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm telling you they won't. Not even a little bit.

They got what they wanted, which was the basketball program. They have no incentive to help out the football team, no matter how badly you want it to be so.
You work at ESPN? Smells like it.

I am hearing behind the scenes FOX is prepared to help. Help can mean a lot of things. Let’s give it some time. Scheduling doesn’t happen over night, or in a week or a quarter. This will be measured in a year.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, and before that I listened to the Yanks on a big wooden AM radio with equally wooden dials, ear pressed against the speaker. Mel Allen. I can still hear him now. Man I'm old.

No you're not. I loved listening to Mel and "The Redhead"... Red Barber.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Phil Rizzuto did play by play on WPIX when I was a kid. Completely incoherent. He would be talking about random people he knew from his old neighborhood in the 6th inning of 2-2 games.

It was great when we got cable, so I could listen to anyone but him.

Reaction Score
I loved Phil Rizzuto. He would legitimately get anxious if he couldn’t leave early enough before the game was over so he could get across the bridge before it got backed up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ref Barber lived his later retirement years in Tallahassee and was a much loved guest on local programs...Even in his early 80's, he was formidable behind a microphone.

Reaction Score
Phil Rizzuto did play by play on WPIX when I was a kid. Completely incoherent. He would be talking about random people he knew from his old neighborhood in the 6th inning of 2-2 games.

It was great when we got cable, so I could listen to anyone but him.

Met him once when I was young at the stadium. Extremely nice and gracious gentlemen. But was he a good baseball announcer? Heck no.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom