SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SNY Expresses Interest In Televising UConn Football

Reaction Score
And how often do the broadcast rights to a FBS Flagship state school fall into the lap of a regional sports network?

A regional sports network that already broadcasts the flagship U's games annually, already has a relationship, and is a huge fan of the relationship as evidenced by 1,000 quotes the last 10 years talking about how much they love UConn.

The quality of UConn football may be on par with UMass for the moment, but the is a wide gap in value thanks to stadium location and television DMAs being favorable to CT and that's why going Indy can work.

Reaction Score
The entire move is based on SNY.

SNY gets about $3 a month from about a million cable homes in CT that aren’t in Ffld Cty.

They were going to be dropped and lose $36 million annually overnight without UConn

Even if UConn gets 15% of that - they are on their way to being double TV revenue of everyone in the AAC.

When I smacked around the AAC truthers about the SNY women’s deal for a month.... value is value.

I'm bad at math but 15% of 36 million sounds like a lot.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Where do you live? I have ATT U-Verse and I am able to get SNY though an upgraded cable package that allows me to watch UConn games. I’m in Charlotte.
I have U-Verse in Dallas. That’s good news.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Can someone explain SNY’s reach to a person who has been in Texas since the 1980’s? Is it available throughout New York State? New Jersey? New England?

When I left, the Mets were on WOR (channel 9) and the Yankees were on WPIX (channel 11). Anyone remember that?

Reaction Score
Football is dead. The quicker people accept it the easier it will be.

Fans in denial are falling for Every false glimmer of hope.

“We will be fine as an independent, it’s even better than AAC! Look at Notre Dame and BYU!”

“Ritter said they aren’t giving up on UCONN football!”

“President Herbst says they have options! That must mean they are good options!”

“We have the AAC right where we want them! They have to keep the football program!”

“SNY is interested! The lucrative deal will cause football to take off and never look back again!”

It’s over folks. The program is a dead man walking.

Nobody to schedule in 2020 and the transfers will likely be crippling.

Will you please remove the word “supporter” from your handle.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Can someone explain SNY’s reach to a person who has been in Texas since the 1980’s? Is it available throughout New York State? New Jersey? New England?

When I left, the Mets were on WOR (channel 9) and the Yankees were on WPIX (channel 11). Anyone remember that?
Yes, and before that I listened to the Yanks on a big wooden AM radio with equally wooden dials, ear pressed against the speaker. Mel Allen. I can still hear him now. Man I'm old.

Reaction Score
If you claim to be the sixth borough, it can't hurt to be televised in NYC. ;);)

Think I told the story here awhile back. My wife and I went to an opera one Saturday night and had dinner at the Atlantic Grille just off Lincoln Square before the show. I had a view into the bar from where we were sitting and they were watching UConn BB.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yes, and before that I listened to the Yanks on a big wooden AM radio with equally wooden dials, ear pressed against the speaker. Mel Allen. I can still hear him now. Man I'm old.
I grew up with Kiner, Nelson, and Murphy on the Mets’ games and Rizzuto and White on the Yankee games. I forget the Yankees’ third announcer but I remember his face.

Reaction Score
I grew up with Kiner, Nelson, and Murphy on the Mets’ games and Rizzuto and White on the Yankee games. I forget the Yankees’ third announcer but I remember his face.
Well, excuse me, please, but Vin Scully was the absolute best. And please, LSMFT and the One Beer to Have When You Are Having More Than One.

Reaction Score
An interesting thought about being SNY’s only college football property-they could give us the best time slots (or any time slots really) that we want.

To that end.... why get stuck on the 12, 3:30, 8 paradigm? What about a Saturday 6pm kickoff?

Reaction Score

SportsNet New York
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SportsNet New York (SNY) is an American regional sports network that is owned by Sterling Entertainment Enterprises, LLC, itself a joint venture between the New York Mets(which owns a controlling 65% interest), Charter Communications through its acquisition of Time Warner Cable in May 2016 (which owns 27%) and Comcast, through its NBC Sports Group subsidiary (which owns 8%). The channel primarily broadcasts games and related programming involving the Mets, but also carries supplementary coverage of the Mets and the New York Jets as well as college sports events.

SportsNet New York is available on cable and fiber optic television providers throughout the New York metropolitan area and New York state; it is also available nationwide on satellite via DirecTV.

The New York metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the world by urban landmass, at 4,495 sq mi (11,640 km2).[16] The metropolitan area includes New York City (the most populous city in the United States), Long Island, and the Mid and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the five largest cities in New Jersey: Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, and Edison, and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut: Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury, and their vicinities.

The New York metropolitan area remains, by a significant margin, the most populous in the United States, as defined by both the Metropolitan Statistical Area(20.3 million residents in 2017)[13] and the Combined Statistical Area (23.7 million residents in 2016).[17]

In August 2010, the University of Connecticut announced a multi-year deal with SportsNet New York to become "the official television home" of UConn Huskies football and men's basketball. SNY will feature 300 hours of Huskies-related programming annually, including 120 hours of game coverage.[10] In May 2012, SNY signed a four-year agreement with the university to become the exclusive broadcaster of the Huskies women's basketball team (assuming the regional rights from Connecticut Public Television), agreeing to air a minimum of 17 games per year.

Availability[edit]
At its launch, it was originally expected that SNY would experience issues with trying to gain carriage on Cablevision, as the Mets moved their game telecasts from that company's two regional sports networks, MSG Network and FSN New York (now MSG Plus). The situation was similar to that experienced by the YES Network, the Yankees ended its broadcasting agreement with Cablevision. Cablevision filed a lawsuit against Sterling Entertainment Enterprises on the grounds that the franchise might have violated their contract, which theoretically had one year left to run, as well as the right of last refusal. However, a judge ruled in favor of Sterling Entertainment, essentially stating that the Mets had voided their deal with Cablevision entirely by paying a specified buyout fee, believed to have exceeded $50 million.
Comcast began carrying the network on its Hartford area systems on March 31, 2008. Then in July 2008, just days after the University of Connecticut signed its broadcast deal with SNY, Cox Communications began carrying SportsNet New York on channel 62 throughout its Connecticut service area. On August 29, 2011, the network launched a secondary feed for Connecticut, SNY-CT.[14]
SNY is also available on Comcast systems in Palm Beach County, Florida and nationally on Verizon FiOS. However, due to broadcasting rules imposed by Major League Baseball that restrict local telecasts to within their designated broadcast territory, Mets games televised by the network are blacked out, although pre-game and post-game shows and other non-event programming is cleared for broadcast in Palm Beach County.
Beginning in 2017, SNY made Mets games available for live Internet streaming to subscribers via its website and the NBC Sportsapp.[15]

Reaction Score
I'm bad at math but 15% of 36 million sounds like a lot.
I am too but its like 5 million. I thought they could get 4 for tier 3 and football conservatively.

TJT

Reaction Score
It is great that SNY may want to televise UConn games. How much however will the school have to pay the network for this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom