Shade loving UCONN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shade loving UCONN

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If everyone comes back, there's not enough scholarships. If someone is really, really smart they could get some academic assistance and rejoin the team as a walk on. This won't happen because the NCAA (and other teams) would come at UConn with pitchforks (and this assistance is mostly limited to CT residents).

Or someone could give up their scholarship and start a go fund me page and come back as a walk on. Considering the nonsense going on with NIL, I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.

Or there may be 1 or 2 players making enough money that they don't need a scholarship, but this is wildly unlikely. Give up potential pro money and pay UConn an outrageous out-of-state tuition? Ha.
Here’s a thought. Paige and perhaps Azzi could pay there own tuition, considering all the NIL money they would make, particularly if the Huskies win #12 this coming season…:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The one thing that could really spread around the PT is if Geno goes all in on a full court, full game, pressure defense, like tOSU, that forces up tempo games and turnovers. He’s been toying with the idea for some time, but he hasn’t necessarily had the personnel (depth) to implement it.

Geno said something a few weeks ago referencing Ashlynn, KK & Q that basically indicated they would be able to earn PT based on their ability to play pressure defense. The idea that the Huskies could apply defensive pressure with waves of defenders has great appeal. As Nika would say, “Everbody eats!!!”
I expect them to press for sure. The only thing is, with UCONN's talent, and if they are healthy, UCONN is going to have big leads by halftime and into early the 3rd quarter vs. many teams. At that point you have to pull the press.

UCONN is not going to look to embarass teams.

And if you are pressing so much, then you aren't working on your halfcourt offense as much, As a result, you need to keep your starters (And the few adtional core players in with a shorter bench) so you can work on halfcourt - even if it is a big lead.

If you don';t practive enough in halfcourt, then in some games if the press isn't; working, you won;t be as prepared.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I expect them to press for sure. The only thing is, with UCONN's talent, and if they are healthy, UCONN is going to have big leads by halftime and into early the 3rd quarter vs. many teams. At that point you have to pull the press.

And if you are pressing so much, then you aren't working on your halfcourt offense as much, As a result, you need to keep your starters (And the few adtional core players in with a shorter bench) so you can work on halfcourt - even if it is a big lead.

If you don';t practive enough in halfcourt, then in some games if the press isn't; working, you won;t be as prepared.
Agreed. But if the Huskies are up big at the half, the starters will play the 3rd, work on the half court offense, and then the bench will have the entire 4th qtr to themselves.

Reaction Score

Great points, especially on the pressing element. With the amount of bodies and athleticism on the team, I don't see why we wouldn't install some type of press on the defensive end. With regards to the half court offense. A lot just depends on how deep the coaching staff wants to get with the offense and where the players Bball IQ status is at.

I think it was last year or the year before when Coach G was talking about how the coaching staff really didn't run a lot of plays because the Stewie & Maya Moore era squads just knew how to read and react to certain situations. They were running a version of the Princeton "Chin Series" and the players just knew how to read the defense.

With pressing, even if we are blowing teams out, you can still work on your offensive series. A lot just depends on the Bball IQ of the players and how much the coaching staff think their players can handle.

Reaction Score
Oldddude/Jelly This is how I see minutes will go - if the team is healthy.

- I see this as a trickle-down. And I literally mean (a slow) trickle-down. First off say UCONN is up by 20+ points at halftime in no danger of losing. They don’t start the press in 2nd half but work on their halfcourt. They aren't pros they are still college kids. So, they have a slight letdown in addition to they aren't pushing pace as much. The other team can now set their Defense more often so more shots are contested and generally any team doesn’t score as efficient in halfcourt sets vs running fastbreaks of course. And now in halfcourt - some days shots won't fall as much. So, it's a bit tougher and UCONN is a bit off, they only win the quarter by 5 points or so. Still near 25 + to 30-point lead if not at little more - but no danger of losing. Primarily, UCONN would have played their core players 6 up to 8 during this 3rd qtr stretch.

But going into the 4th quarter, wouldn’t it be great if Aubrey stayed in to work on her outside game? She plays with Paige and Azzi which means she is mostly setting them up with picks or she flashes to the hoop (because they would lead the team in scoring as well as Edwards - in other words they get more shots.). But wouldn't it be great if she got extra minutes to work on her outside game? And what if she is 2-3 from 3 on this day or she hit a couple of mid-range shots? Wouldn't it be great to see her get extra minutes to keep it going and see if that shot has improved that Geno and the team overall can feel more confident? The more she hits, the more confident she'll probably get, right? Adn wouldn’t it be amazing to see her get the open locks in the flow of the Offense even without Paige or Azzi in? For those that say she can't hit-- then why would she ever take one 3-point shot as an example?

And Nika, wouldn’t it be great to see her shoot more in games already decided to see if her confidence (same as Aubrey) can grow? And suppose Ice beats out Jana and is the PF/C. UCONN would want to give her extra time because she was clearly the best and the more wind she can get along with just more time, would be much needed vs top competition. And wouldn't it be great she gets some extra minutes with players like Paige and Azzi too? And maybe she was in foul trouble in 1st half too. Anyhow, she won the job because she is/was better. If you need her to play more minutes in the real big games and suppose she is doing well in the big games which ofc is the goal why she starts and gets starter minutes anyway, then it won't help her as much if she doesn't practice playing some extra minutes in blowout games. And add in that Caroline hasn't played much basketball the past two years. And frankly Paige and Azzi haven't played much basketball the past two years. They will get trickle-down too. As will Ice especialy if she wins the starting spot (or Jana etc). If they play well in big games they (the statrter) need to be psuhed beyond "20 minutes." One day 1 player one another etc. Some of the top teams have played together for several years with a specific core. UCONN has not overall.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldddude/Jelly This is how I see minutes will go - if the team is healthy.

- I see this as a trickle-down. And I literally mean (a slow) trickle-down. First off say UCONN is up by 20+ points at halftime in no danger of losing. They don’t start the press in 2nd half but work on their halfcourt. They aren't pros they are still college kids. So, they have a slight letdown in addition to they aren't pushing pace as much. The other team can now set their Defense more often so more shots are contested and generally any team doesn’t score as efficient in halfcourt sets vs running fastbreaks of course. And now in halfcourt - some days shots won't fall as much. So, it's a bit tougher and UCONN is a bit off, they only win the quarter by 5 points or so. Still near 25 + to 30-point lead if not at little more - but no danger of losing. Primarily, UCONN would have played their core players 6 up to 8 during this 3rd qtr stretch.

But going into the 4th quarter, wouldn’t it be great if Aubrey stayed in to work on her outside game? She plays with Paige and Azzi which means she is mostly setting them up with picks or she flashes to the hoop (because they would lead the team in scoring as well as Edwards - in other words they get more shots.). But wouldn't it be great if she got extra minutes to work on her outside game? And what if she is 2-3 from 3 on this day or she hit a couple of mid-range shots? Wouldn't it be great to see her get extra minutes to keep it going and see if that shot has improved that Geno and the team overall can feel more confident? The more she hits, the more confident she'll probably get, right? Adn wouldn’t it be amazing to see her get the open locks in the flow of the Offense even without Paige or Azzi in? For those that say she can't hit-- then why would she ever take one 3-point shot as an example?

And Nika, wouldn’t it be great to see her shoot more in games already decided to see if her confidence (same as Aubrey) can grow? And suppose Ice beats out Jana and is the PF/C. UCONN would want to give her extra time because she was clearly the best and the more wind she can get along with just more time, would be much needed vs top competition. And wouldn't it be great she gets some extra minutes with players like Paige and Azzi too? And maybe she was in foul trouble in 1st half too. Anyhow, she won the job because she is/was better. If you need her to play more minutes in the real big games and suppose she is doing well in the big games which ofc is the goal why she starts and gets starter minutes anyway, then it won't help her as much if she doesn't practice playing some extra minutes in blowout games. And add in that Caroline hasn't played much basketball the past two years. And frankly Paige and Azzi haven't played much basketball the past two years. They will get trickle-down too. As will Ice especialy if she wins the starting spot (or Jana etc). If they play well in big games they (the statrter) need to be psuhed beyond "20 minutes." One day 1 player one another etc. Some of the top teams have played together for several years with a specific core. UCONN has not overall.
Interesting analysis. So much depends on how many players on the 14 player roster earn Geno’s trust for meaningful PT. At present, 6 rotation players are sure bets (Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Nika, Aubrey & Caroline). Ayanna is very close if not already a 7th rotation player.

Then it starts to get tricky. After back surgery, will Amari finally live up to the potential we all hope she has. Can Ines make a sophomore leap, forcing Geno to put her in the rotation. We’ve heard good things about both Ice & Jana, that appear to indicate it will be very hard to keep them out of the rotation.

Finally, KK, Ashlynn & Q are all very talented freshmen, who are learning the UConn system and working hard. Will one or more of them force their way into the rotation as well.

It is not inconceivable that Geno may have 8 to 12 prime time players on his roster. That will make managing PT an extremely difficult challenge for Geno and his staff. Obviously the more UConn jumps on opponents with up tempo blowouts, the easier it will be to spread out the PT. Whatever happens, it’s going to be an interesting season, to say the least.

Reaction Score
I don't think running a press requires a deep rotation. tOSU ran theirs and rarely went deeper than 5+2 all season. This was the most ambitious pressing team in D1.

However....

if we're looking for an excuse to imagine Geno running a deeper rotation, then it's certainly fun to imagine that press would provide one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If everyone comes back, there's not enough scholarships. If someone is really, really smart they could get some academic assistance and rejoin the team as a walk on. This won't happen because the NCAA (and other teams) would come at UConn with pitchforks (and this assistance is mostly limited to CT residents).
And it isn't allowed under NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
Interesting analysis. So much depends on how many players on the 14 player roster earn Geno’s trust for meaningful PT. At present, 6 rotation players are sure bets (Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Nika, Aubrey & Caroline). Ayanna is very close if not already a 7th rotation player.

Then it starts to get tricky. After back surgery, will Amari finally live up to the potential we all hope she has. Can Ines make a sophomore leap, forcing Geno to put her in the rotation. We’ve heard good things about both Ice & Jana, that appear to indicate it will be very hard to keep them out of the rotation.

Finally, KK, Ashlynn & Q are all very talented freshmen, who are learning the UConn system and working hard. Will one or more of them force their way into the rotation as well.

It is not inconceivable that Geno may have 8 to 12 prime time players on his roster. That will make managing PT an extremely difficult challenge for Geno and his staff. Obviously the more UConn jumps on opponents with up tempo blowouts, the easier it will be to spread out the PT. Whatever happens, it’s going to be an interesting season, to say the least.
Interesting? :):) So, you dodn't want to predict? Or if you were to predict, you believe that if healthy KK, Shade, and Q will be just as good options as Nika and Aubrey looking at both Offense and Defense as “one” rating?

Realistically, imo that chance is near none unless health is an issue for Nika>Aubrey or for any of the core players. If UCONN has 8 players or even maybe 9, if they are heathy for the season, it's not like they are going to "wear out." These are highly fit kids. Not China-dolls. The other 4 - 6 players will play but in blowouts or comfortable winning games but not as player's being counted on in the big game(s).

Nika and Aubrey have had 4/5 years of tremendous results and accomplishments. The 3 young freshmen mentioned were not considered "the next Paige or Azzi" this past year. IMO it is near unrealistic to believe they will earn time in big games when game is close vs these two (and Caroline) if all 3 are healthy (as well as Paige, Azzi and Edwards). Everything ofc changes even if one player is hurt but there is too much terrific play and experience from the past from Nika and Aubrey at the 1 and 3 spots (Aubrey can be realistically replaced at the 4) to realistically think any of the 1,2 and 3 position frosh can take minutes away from Nika or Aubrey. So, its highly doubtful that they are going to "earn time" over these fine, experienced, winning type of players.

*The big issues with PT for the young guards/wings is that Paige and Azzi are expected to be super supreme players. Not just good but super. And Edwards adds to the offensive juggernaut and if healthy we’ve seen Caroline produce at a very, very high level. So, none of the 3 are going to get the ball out of their hands. So, their other alternative is Defense. And their coemption are the two players in Nika and Aubrey who specializes in this part of the game. And over the years their Offense has shown to fit well with the others. So,, imo for anyone to believe that you are going to take away minutes ta the 103 spots form these 5 accomplished players, just isn’t realistic. They aren’t going to wear down. Not with 5 spots for 3 positions in which quite a few games during the year there were comfortable wins and blowouts.

Reaction Score
I don't think running a press requires a deep rotation. tOSU ran theirs and rarely went deeper than 5+2 all season. This was the most ambitious pressing team in D1.

However....

if we're looking for an excuse to imagine Geno running a deeper rotation, then it's certainly fun to imagine that press would provide one.
Didn't Geno say in his last presser or two that he was planning to run a press this season?

Reaction Score
This thread really got away from the whole "Shade Loving UConn" thing, but if Geno is going to run a press...Ms. Shade, especially paired with Nika on the press.....OMG!
Don’t all summer threads?

Reaction Score
I beleive Shade has an increidble "stick-to-it" attitude which is reflected in her game. She's small but developed a mid-range jumper. There ahd ot be so much time put into that. Great for her.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I beleive Shade has an increidble "stick-to-it" attitude which is reflected in her game. She's small but developed a mid-range jumper. There ahd ot be so much time put into that. Great for her.
Shade is shorter than most, but hard to call her small. She is built like a linebacker.

Reaction Score
She l
Shade is shorter than most, but hard to call her small. She is built like a linebacker.
Yes- she is not small - it's just that I saw the H/S videos and she is low posting back-to-the-basket in some instances. She was taking jump shots starting from her with her back to the basket. She is 5'10 and as a guard she worked on this part of her game. That's all I meant. For her to do all this work for back-to-the-basket and then getting lift to take a jumper for a guard that is just 5'10, its impressive. She stuck to it. I don't believe many guards 5'10 or shorter work on ther low post back-to-the-basket-game in a manner that it's a feature of what the do vs an arbitrary play.

Reaction Score
Technically, Nika is 5’11” according to the UConn website. But just to give folks some context about being 5’10”, Nika and Ashlynn are roughly the same size as Willie Mays.
Yeah, but Willie had a horrible jump shot.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I vivdly remember seeing a game at Gampel in December 2016 when UConn pressed DePaul full court and led 37-6 after the first quarter. 12 turnovers by DePaul in the first quarter. It was comical from a UConn perspective.

Poor Doug Bruno. He was totally flummoxed. Hit by a tsunami.

That is what I am looking to see in 2023-2024. I think Ashlynn can be a part of that. Gritty players, plus no fear of foul trouble, equals misery for our opponents.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Shade has offensive potential.
If she can make shots coming in off the bench when others are missing them then she'll prove her value.
She has the muscles to be a steady shooter & shouldn't get rattled.
She must be near the top of the pack in physical conditioning & I'd expect her to be the last guard standing when everyone else is running out of gas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah, spring and summer. Where every freshman is being designated for the Hall of Fame. One is the next Shea, the others are the next Kia, Diana or Swin. I'd think I'll wait until at least the end of the season before anointing anyone. I'm looking back at the past few years when our recruiting classes were supposedly among the best in the nation and we wound up depending on transfers to carry the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom