Shade loving UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shade loving UCONN

Reaction Score
Every highlight video that I’ve seen of Ashlynn shows a pretty jumper from the perimeter, often under pressure. The below is from the sectional championship at the end of her junior year. Ashlynn is #12 in white

That was an awesome game. I haven’t seen any stats for Ashlynn’s perimeter shooting. But watch a few of her hs games and you see soon enough that she was the player her teammates wanted to shoot the ball when it mattered. She’s a consummate team player, constantly working to make her teammates succeed and to make the team win. But when the pressure’s on, she will take the game into her hands and do whatever it takes to win it. In other words, she’s a Husky!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was an awesome game. I haven’t seen any stats for Ashlynn’s perimeter shooting. But watch a few of her hs games and you see soon enough that she was the player her teammates wanted to shoot the ball when it mattered. She’s a consummate team player, constantly working to make her teammates succeed and to make the team win. But when the pressure’s on, she will take the game into her hands and do whatever it takes to win it. In other words, she’s a Husky!
I found an article from March that said:

Shade is averaging in the neighborhood of 24 points, nine rebounds and five assists per game.She’s shooting 40% from beyond the 3-point line.

“She doesn’t miss open shots. It’s pretty incredible to watch,” Marvin said

Reaction Score

Shade is averaging in the neighborhood of 24 points, nine rebounds and five assists per game.She’s shooting 40% from beyond the 3-point line.

Nice article! Thanks, @HuskyNan. I notice it says Ashlynn is 5’11”. That would be good news. From what I’ve seen, she looks more like 5’10”, but maybe she’s grown, just like Nika!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's interesting that there is some degree of concern that she may go too hard, too fast, while realizing as problems go that is probably one of the best to address. Maybe Nika can give her some advice on that? ;):oops:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every highlight video that I’ve seen of Ashlynn shows a pretty jumper from the perimeter, often under pressure. The below is from the sectional championship at the end of her junior year. Ashlynn is #12 in white

Really looking forward to what Ashlynn brings.

Reaction Score

Thanks for sharing, Nan... the basketball plays are impressive yet it might have been the exultation Ashlynn displayed at game's end that struck me the most. I can't wait to see her showing more of that passion (for winning) for the Huskies.

Methinks most of the countless excellent posts discussing UConn's backcourt for this coming season might have mostly overlooked this precocious and very talented incoming freshman. It's reassuring to think we'll have Ashlynn and KK as mainstays of the Huskies' backcourt for years to come.

Reaction Score
I disagree with JoePgh. Ashlyn can be as much of a scorer as Geno wants. I think that by the time she reaches her Junior year she should reach All American status. An energizer bunny for the team!

Reaction Score
I think you pretty well summed it up:

She’s a Husky!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

We're all hoping she can come in and pick right up where she left off. What a boost to the team that would be. I'm looking for some BIG things from Ashlynn this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think she will be a great shooter but even more importantly a shooter who can hit the shots when you need them the most.
She appears to have that "air of confidence" about her that good shooters have. That confidence that says: "I expect the ball to go in every time I shoot." ;)

Reaction Score
Feedback I've received from a friend who has seen her play several times. Shade plays best under pressure, makes open shots, and can be counted on to make several critical steals a game. Feels she can provide the relentless pressure of Nika but with quicker footwork. While not a top one on one player, has to be guarded since she knows where the open spot is for a 3 or a drive to the basket. Few up and down games - you can count on her for consistent performance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fingers crossed that everyone is healthy. With that said, the competition for PT at guard will be intense. Paige never wants to come off the court. Azzi is one of the best shooters UConn has ever had. Nika is a fierce competitor who Geno loves. Caroline, Aubrey and Quadence are more wings than guards, but they will all eat up minutes that could go to a 3rd or 4th guard. Ines just keeps on working hard, and who knows whether or not she can force herself into the rotation. Finally, there is Ashlynn’s fellow freshman KK who possesses an ankle braking handle, with the ability to get her shot anytime she wants.

Ashlynn is smart, talented, strong and tough. But PT will be difficult to secure this coming season, and the distinct possibility exists that every other guard on the roster could return in 2024-25.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Feedback I've received from a friend who has seen her play several times. Shade plays best under pressure, makes open shots, and can be counted on to make several critical steals a game. Feels she can provide the relentless pressure of Nika but with quicker footwork. While not a top one on one player, has to be guarded since she knows where the open spot is for a 3 or a drive to the basket. Few up and down games - you can count on her for consistent performance.
Sounds a lot like Kelly Faris :)

Reaction Score
I believe she will fit in. She has that hustle, perimeter shot, great conditioning. May not this year, because of all the great players returning. But she will be ready, when her number gets called.
Totally agree that Ashlynn is going to fit in. The thing that I love the most about Ashlynn's game, besides the items you mentioned, is that she plays positionless basketball. To me, that is going to be huge for the program, especially if she hits a growth spurt. The mismatches in the post that she can create. OMG!! Also, I love her quickness! She is going to be a joy to watch.

Reaction Score
Fingers crossed that everyone is healthy. With that said, the competition for PT at guard will be intense. Paige never wants to come off the court. Azzi is one of the best shooters UConn has ever had. Nika is a fierce competitor who Geno loves. Caroline, Aubrey and Quadence are more wings than guards, but they will all eat up minutes that could go to a 3rd or 4th guard. Ines just keeps on working hard, and who knows whether or not she can force herself into the rotation. Finally, there is Ashlynn’s fellow freshman KK who possesses an ankle braking handle, with the ability to get her shot anytime she wants.

Ashlynn is smart, talented, strong and tough. But PT will be difficult to secure this coming season, and the distinct possibility exists that every other guard on the roster could return in 2024-25.
You got me thinking with the possibility that every guard candidate could return in 2024-25 and there are not enough minutes to give to some very talented prospects this year, if that doesn't give a clue as to what some of those 5th year decisions might be.

I think we can all hope that players like KK, Ashlynn and Q can as Geno might say, force him to play them. Even if they do not make the big game rotation we can look for signs of future stardom when they get their more extended opportunities. Those opportunities might not open up much, however, if everyone that could came back did, and then the candidates for available positions grows by two with Allie and Morgan.

It is speculation of course, but my best guess is Nika and Aubrey are in their last year. Nika has the game against her sister, and I believe she said she hoped her parents could come for that and senior day. Paige could return and there is an heir apparent PG that will get an apprentice year in KK.

Aubrey has already spent an extra year on campus because of her red-shirt year, and I think she made a reference to this as her last year, and she has demonstrated she had recovered from the back surgery. With another year from Caroline, Q learning and Morgan coming on board that position (3) is well covered as well.

So if those two departed and we add Allie and Morgan we would have as many candidates for 1-3 as we have this year, namely 8. If Paige left for the WNBA it would be a huge talent loss of course, but we would still have a very promising 7. Makes me think we are done for the class of 2024 for guards, but of course are still looking for bigs.

Regardless I look forward to seeing the future potential for all our newcomers, hope one or two of them wind up in a large extended rotation with more pressing, and I hope Paige comes back for another year. If she does, even if two others depart, we would still have a ton of candidates for 1-3.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You got me thinking with the possibility that every guard candidate could return in 2024-25 and there are not enough minutes to give to some very talented prospects this year, if that doesn't give a clue as to what some of those 5th year decisions might be.

I think we can all hope that players like KK, Ashlynn and Q can as Geno might say, force him to play them. Even if they do not make the big game rotation we can look for signs of future stardom when they get their more extended opportunities. Those opportunities might not open up much, however, if everyone that could came back did, and then the candidates for available positions grows by two with Allie and Morgan.

It is speculation of course, but my best guess is Nika and Aubrey are in their last year. Nika has the game against her sister, and I believe she said she hoped her parents could come for that and senior day. Paige could return and there is an heir apparent PG that will get an apprentice year in KK.

Aubrey has already spent an extra year on campus because of her red-shirt year, and I think she made a reference to this as her last year, and she has demonstrated she had recovered from the back surgery. With another year from Caroline, Q learning and Morgan coming on board that position (3) is well covered as well.

So if those two departed and we add Allie and Morgan we would have as many candidates for 1-3 as we have this year, namely 8. If Paige left for the WNBA it would be a huge talent loss of course, but we would still have a very promising 7. Makes me think we are done for the class of 2024 for guards, but of course are still looking for bigs.

Regardless I look forward to seeing the future potential for all our newcomers, hope one or two of them wind up in a large extended rotation with more pressing, and I hope Paige comes back for another year. If she does, even if two others depart, we would still have a ton of candidates for 1-3.
The one thing that could really spread around the PT is if Geno goes all in on a full court, full game, pressure defense, like tOSU, that forces up tempo games and turnovers. He’s been toying with the idea for some time, but he hasn’t necessarily had the personnel (depth) to implement it.

Geno said something a few weeks ago referencing Ashlynn, KK & Q that basically indicated they would be able to earn PT based on their ability to play pressure defense. The idea that the Huskies could apply defensive pressure with waves of defenders has great appeal. As Nika would say, “Everbody eats!!!”

Reaction Score
If everyone comes back, there's not enough scholarships. If someone is really, really smart they could get some academic assistance and rejoin the team as a walk on. This won't happen because the NCAA (and other teams) would come at UConn with pitchforks (and this assistance is mostly limited to CT residents).

Or someone could give up their scholarship and start a go fund me page and come back as a walk on. Considering the nonsense going on with NIL, I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.

Or there may be 1 or 2 players making enough money that they don't need a scholarship, but this is wildly unlikely. Give up potential pro money and pay UConn an outrageous out-of-state tuition? Ha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom