Shade loving UCONN | The Boneyard

Shade loving UCONN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1687451830053.png

:)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Ashlynn before reading this piece. Even more now after reading it.

Ashlynn: “I always knew basketball, anywhere I’m at, I can handle that, I can figure that out. I always know basketball.”
That much has been obvious in her first few weeks on campus. While the entire freshman class has been lauded for their work ethic, Shade is a cut above the rest.

“She plays very, very hard,” associate head coach Chris Dailey said. There's never going to be a question on how hard she goes.
In fact, Shade’s effort level is reminiscent of former UConn great Shea Ralph because of her toughness and she just wants to get after it,”
Dailey said. To me, that means Shade is not a magician. You needn't be concerned if she'll show up for games or not. :cool: You know what you're going to get from her every night.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
CD said Ashlynn reminds her of Shea. Awesome!
Yeah, I saw that and she should know, but the little I have seen of Ashlyn I don't see it beyond body type.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Ashlynn before reading this piece. Even more now after reading it.

Ashlynn: “I always knew basketball, anywhere I’m at, I can handle that, I can figure that out. I always know basketball.”
That much has been obvious in her first few weeks on campus. While the entire freshman class has been lauded for their work ethic, Shade is a cut above the rest.

“She plays very, very hard,” associate head coach Chris Dailey said. There's never going to be a question on how hard she goes.
In fact, Shade’s effort level is reminiscent of former UConn great Shea Ralph because of her toughness and she just wants to get after it,”
Dailey said. To me, that means Shade is not a magician. You needn't be concerned if she'll show up for games or not. :cool: You know what you're going to get from her every night.
Yup. This UConn team could use some old school grit and toughness.

Reaction Score
You say potatoe and I say potato?? Let's see her in game in a UConn uniform. I'd happily see her be a reincarnation of Shea (without the injuries).
I never said she'd be as good as Shea. But their playing styles seem very similar.

Reaction Score
You say potatoe and I say potato?? Let's see her in game in a UConn uniform. I'd happily see her be a reincarnation of Shea (without the injuries).
I say po taa Toe. But I also say: If she plays like SHEA--WOW! She was pound for pound, inch for inch, muscle for muscle--the toughest young lady to wear the Uconn Uniform. Our dyamic duo---Shea and Sveta

Reaction Score
Yeah, I saw that and she should know, but the little I have seen of Ashlyn I don't see it beyond body type.
Your comment about wanting to see her playing in a Uconn Uniform--is fair enough. Yet, I think CD saw more than just body style.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think CD meant Ashlyn’s attitude and toughness (“gets after it”) than shooting motion or handle. And Ashlynn has something that I don’t remember as a particular strength of Shea - a midrange shot

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Your comment about wanting to see her playing in a Uconn Uniform--is fair enough. Yet, I think CD saw more than just body style.
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. CD clearly sees something of Shea in her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Ashlyn Shade reminds me of Jackie Stiles. I think she will replicate a Stiles type career at Uconn. She will surprise us all and be a go to, even this first year!
I think that comparison is off the mark. There is no indication at all that Ashlynn is a scoring machine or a deadeye jump shooter. She is not Jackie Stiles or KML or Azzi or Allie Ziebell.

I think the best analogy would be to her fellow Hoosier, Kelly Faris. Or perhaps to a more recent player whom I once compared to Kelly -- Kia Nurse. Neither of them was a really reliable 3-point shooter, although they both had to be guarded. (Kelly did not attain that status until her senior year.) But what distinguished both of them were effort/hustle, intelligent play in line with the coaches' plans, dogged defense, and adequate (but not great) basketball skills in all areas including shooting. I wonder if Ashlynn will have Kelly's leaping ability or Kia's quickness and speed, but overall, she will be in that mode.

However, Kia was a starter from the third game of her freshman year, and Kelly was first off the bench as a freshman. Given the depth of the 2023-24 team, especially at the guard positions, I don't think Ashlynn is going to get those kinds of freshman minutes.

Reaction Score
I've watched a bunch of Ashlynn's high school games on YouTube and one thing that stands out immediately is that her coaches had her playing one woman full court pressing defense for every minute of every game. The girl has some seriously good conditioning. She never stopped running and she didn't slow down. To top it off, she typically was the one to close down opponents in the final minutes.

Reaction Score
I think that comparison is off the mark. There is no indication at all that Ashlynn is a scoring machine or a deadeye jump shooter. She is not Jackie Stiles or KML or Azzi or Allie Ziebell.

I think the best analogy would be to her fellow Hoosier, Kelly Faris. Or perhaps to a more recent player whom I once compared to Kelly -- Kia Nurse. Neither of them was a really reliable 3-point shooter, although they both had to be guarded. (Kelly did not attain that status until her senior year.) But what distinguished both of them were effort/hustle, intelligent play in line with the coaches' plans, dogged defense, and adequate (but not great) basketball skills in all areas including shooting. I wonder if Ashlynn will have Kelly's leaping ability or Kia's quickness and speed, but overall, she will be in that mode.

However, Kia was a starter from the third game of her freshman year, and Kelly was first off the bench as a freshman. Given the depth of the 2023-24 team, especially at the guard positions, I don't think Ashlynn is going to get those kinds of freshman minutes.
Are you saying Ashlynn is not a reliable three point shooter? I had heard she was greatly improved. Sure, the Stiles comparison is a bit much but I certainly haven’t heard anything about three point shooting being a weakness.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Every highlight video that I’ve seen of Ashlynn shows a pretty jumper from the perimeter, often under pressure. The below is from the sectional championship at the end of her junior year. Ashlynn is #12 in white

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom