SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 37 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks James. What more inside info do you want when I shared with yard weeks ago this was not going to happen. An OV set up sure had a lot thinking otherwise. I took my lumps and movers on. I'll be sure to upload the MP3 of the recruitment pitch for you next time.
I don't think you need to defend your position. The majority of us recognize the value you bring to this forum.

Reaction Score
How do you know he won't get serious playing time as a freshman? Kentucky will lose a bunch of guys like they do every year.

And who exactly was a "featured option" on Kentucky last year besides Towns? Was Trey Lyles a featured option? Cause he was still a lottery pick.

This kid is a 5-star, 6'10'' kid with perimeter skills. He's good enough to play for Kentucky.

perhaps. Lyles was evaluated for a much longer time than gabriel has been though, with a defined position weighing over 240. IMO Gabriel needs development 5* or not, lyles was a surefire first rounder the moment he stepped on campus. It could go either way. Gabriel is a 5* in the way marcus lee was, and you see how thats turned out

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
always yearning for credit when you make vague estimations if a player is going to commit or not. Don't even recall the last inside info you dropped other than 'next' on recruits when we clearly weren't in contention
Agreed, I'm thinking of canceling my subscription to @Zionn. Just not worth the money anymore. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
perhaps. Lyles was evaluated for a much longer time than gabriel has been though, with a defined position weighing over 240. IMO Gabriel needs development 5* or not, lyles was a surefire first rounder the moment he stepped on campus. It could go either way. Gabriel is a 5* in the way marcus lee was, and you see how thats turned out

Well as it turns out, Marcus Lee is a bouncy big man with no discrernable offensive skill other than being a great finisher at the rim. The expectations for Gabriel are certainly higher than that.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Happy he didn't go to Maryland, but this kid isn't a Kentucky/Cal grade player. He will see more of the bench than he anticipates. Calipari doesn't have time for words like "raw" and "development".

Reaction Score
Thanks James. What more inside info do you want when I shared with yard weeks ago this was not going to happen. An OV set up sure had a lot thinking otherwise. I took my lumps and movers on. I'll be sure to upload the MP3 of the recruitment pitch for you next time.

The only person on the board who thought we had a shot was Dogmania.

Reaction Score
OK, and what about the other 4 guys who went in the first round? Booker and Cauley-Stein weren't top-20 guys either.

If your argument is that somehow Kentucky is BAD for a 5-star recruit's NBA prospects, then I don't know what to tell you.
That's not my argument at all. My argument is that in Gabriel's particular case, the UK model won't work because for him to reach his potential, in my opinion, he'll need 2, more likely 3 years, and a large amount of playing time that I don't think he'll be able to get at UK. Their other two recuits for 16 are also both forwards, and while they probably won't get Bridges, if they do, that is a massive logjam for Gabriel, who in my opinion, is still raw as a 4 and unbelievably raw as a 3, to get the 25+ minutes I think he needs.'

Reaction Score
Well as it turns out, Marcus Lee is a bouncy big man with no discrernable offensive skill other than being a great finisher at the rim. The expectations for Gabriel are certainly higher than that.

off a few camps in the summer before his senior year? he isn't an established prospect just yet hence he isn't on any '16 mock drafts. Kid has tremendous upside, but 'perimeter skills' @ nations is different than perimeter skills at the D1 level imo... he could easily turn out to be just a high motor guy a la poythress ( who looked awesome in eybl back then too). Don't get it twisted though I wanted him badly for his upside and how seamlessly he would fit with the roster, but the writing has been on the wall for a while he wasn't coming here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
OK, and what about the other 4 guys who went in the first round? Booker and Cauley-Stein weren't top-20 guys either.

If your argument is that somehow Kentucky is BAD for a 5-star recruit's NBA prospects, then I don't know what to tell you.
I look at it another way. This is not a Kentucky versus UConn issue. The majority of the players Kentucky gets would get into the NBA as one and dones with most good programs. I believe it's naive to think these kids don't know that. If my assumption is correct than the question that should be asked is why would these kids want to attend a program in which you have to sit for major parts of games when you can display your skills in major minutes at another program?

The only answers I can come up with are these kids want to take the easiest path to the NBA (not reputation, but degree of work both academically as well as practice) or are concerned about injuries. Both rationals are intelligent but I prefer players who are like Bazz. Give me hungry Huskies with talent any day!

I believe that now that the APR sanctions are no longer an issue, KO will end up with enough good talent to test the Kentucky model repeatedly and not as a one off.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
To add to the "UK sending lower ranked players to the draft" discussion. The reason UK does so well with these top prospects is because when you load the roster 2 deep at every position with NBA players, you minimize risk of exposing any of the players flaws. Every guy looks better playing alongside future pros, and they take that concept to the next level.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Enough of the sour grapes. You guys are a bunch of babies. A recruit went to Kentucky instead of UConn. Who fuc.king cares? Gabriel would've been nice to have in the class, but any sane person realizes that he wasn't a do-or-die recruit.

Reaction Score
To add to the "UK sending lower ranked players to the draft" discussion. The reason UK does so well with these top prospects is because when you load the roster 2 deep at every position with NBA players, you minimize risk of exposing any of the players flaws. Every guy looks better playing alongside future pros, and they take that concept to the next level.
Excellent point; when NBA GMs see players for 35 minutes a game, in different lineups, every game, for 1 or more years, they've got a much better overall standing of the player than if they see them in the same exact lineup every game for 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
yes! let's all rip on Gabriel now. The Boneyard way...

I'm not ripping on Wenyen. Great kid and good luck, but his handlers on the other hand... $quid must have got to them. Hate seeing a top New England talent go to UK as simple as that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
One more thing: he picks UK and all of a sudden his skill level drops and he's a second round pick? Give me a break. Leave the amateur scouting to the posters who actually know how to separate their biases from their analysis.

Reaction Score
One more thing: he picks UK and all of a sudden his skill level drops and he's a second round pick? Give me a break. Leave the amateur scouting to the posters who actually know how to separate their biases from their analysis.
Please. Who are you to call out my analysis? What if I was an amateur scout (for the record I'm not, but it's a matter of principle)? I've personally always had the opinion that Gabriel was a raw prospect, and I don't see him being a first round pick if he goes pro after 1 year. I'm always extremely skeptical of kids that go through meteoritic rises in rankings; not everyone is Anthony Davis.

Edit: am i a little sour? Of course. We were on him months before any other major program (sorry PC). But once we got Durham, I stopped caring about how hard we went after Gabriel.

Reaction Score
I think we all saw the writing on the wall with this one. Look how quickly we got in on Durham during the recruitment. Would have loved having Gabriel aboard, but with Durham and Diarra, and possibly Jackson, Gabriel is not a make or break recruit. Best of luck to him, but its time to put the hard court press on Diallo and Brown!

Reaction Score
I see donyell or longer version of deandre daniels when i see the tape of him, i've never seen him in person tho, but damn i really wanted this kid to come to Uconn

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You say "next." That's it. You bet the field. Let's not get crazy with this "inside info."
Thank. You.

I appreciate insiders on this board, but to me "inside info" includes some sort of context or insight into the recruits desires/family influence/AAU coach or something of value. Simply saying "Next" is just betting on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom