SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 35 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Ace gave you height, weight and wingspan - three areas that factor into where he will likely play. Not sure why you chose to focus solely on height.
I asked a question, Ace answered it. No fight from me.

Reaction Score
He started as a sophomore for a team that won the national championship.

I'm pretty ok with Nolan being our starting center as long as he's healthy and has an adequate back-up. He's much better as a 5 than as a 4.

Yes, but we didn't want him to be the starting center on a national championship team that year. Goodness knows how many championships we would have won that season had anyone else been our starting center.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You are radically underestimating the value of an athletic 7 footer.
The NBA is the most athletic of the major sports leagues. 99% of the players entering the draft are all incredibly athletic, and like I said size at the 5 spot is slowly being phased out for more mobile defensive minded players that can switch during PnR defense (think Draymond or Bosh type bigs). An athletic 7' in the NBA simply isnt what it used to be, and honestly I love AB but he lacks so many fundamental skills that are required at that level that I think he'd get abused in the NBA. The NBA is grown men, AB can barely be physical at the college level playing against boys. He would get pushed around easily.

Reaction Score
The NBA is the most athletic of the major sports leagues. 99% of the players entering the draft are all incredibly athletic, and like I said size at the 5 spot is slowly being phased out for more mobile defensive minded players that can switch during PnR defense (think Draymond or Bosh type bigs). An athletic 7' in the NBA simply isnt what it used to be, and honestly I love AB but he lacks so many fundamental skills that are required at that level that I think he'd get abused in the NBA. The NBA is grown men, AB can barely be physical at the college level playing against boys. He would get pushed around easily.

The recent trend has size being phased out, but it's at the 4 spot more than the 5. NBA coaches want a 5 man who can be a rim protector and guard the pNr but that is extremely hard to find - why a guy like WCS was a high lottery pick with no offense talents. I doubt Bosh or Draymond play the 5 nearly as often as you think. AB has to improve a lot to get to that next level but I think you are setting the bar for being a backup big a little too high. Elite shot blocking instincts aren't a dime a dozen. He needs to substantially improve his rebounding, offense, or pNr defense to be a legit NBA prospect (not all 3) which I think is doable but not a definite.

Reaction Score
The idea that brimah doesn't have translatable skills to the league is laughable , he has size and elite shot blocking ability. This is the nba we are talking about 7 footers are in demand all the time ... And it's not like AB is some scrub on the court. He was the second most important player on last years team no matter what metrics you use.

Right now he is a projected mid second round pick with room to grow (I'm certainly bullish seeing this was his first healthy offseason), this is not a bad place to be in. I mean people on this board are calling dham the second coming of rip or ray and he is a projected mid second round (2017) pick as well. Highest NBA stock on the roster IMO :
Adams (potential first rounder)
brimah
Hamilton
Enoch

Purv

Reaction Score
Mid-second round as of now, sounds about right for Brimah, but lots of guys who get drafted that late never make a squad. I think it'd be wise for him to be certain he's going no later than late first round, before taking a gamble when his game has so much room for growth.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Think what you all want, but you will all be disappointed on draft day. Enjoy the time Brimah has in a UConn jersey and dont rush him out, because I truly dont foresee watching him play televised games much longer. This isnt a diss or an insult to AB, I hope he proves me wrong but I really dont see it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Think what you all want, but you will all be disappointed on draft day. Enjoy the time Brimah has in a UConn jersey and dont rush him out, because I truly dont foresee watching him play televised games much longer. This isnt a diss or an insult to AB, I hope he proves me wrong but I really dont see it.

There's no problem with having an opinion, but jeez louise you're awfully certain about this...I would think that most here would agree that Brimah's future is heavily dependent on the next year or two and there's no way that you can for sure pencil him anywhere for the next level.

Reaction Score

You very well could be right. A lot of people on the board will overrate the NBA prospects of our players, especially early in their careers. For Brimah, we need to see what he will do after his first healthy off-season. I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with your conclusion, just with the though process that went behind it.

Reaction Score
Weird how so many of these recruiting threads turn into Brimah discussions. I'm higher on AB than you but I don't think he ends up being a first round draft pick unless he improves his shooting and post moves. If he could improve his mid range jump shot in the next two years I think he would get drafted and make a roster for sure. If he ends up a backup center he could play a decade in the league and do just fine. Or he could be better than that. I just think with his height and athleticism he makes an NBA roster at minimum. I'd love for him to stay all four years to improve his pro resume and then go have a nice career. Meanwhile he can stay with us and help us win another National Championship.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Brimah really needs to improve his rebounding to make it at the next level. He makes Thabeet look like Dennis Rodman.

Reaction Score
Wenyen Gabriel...just thought I'd make an ill fated attempt to get this thread back on track.

Reaction Score
So is Duke putting the full court press on this week in hopes he doesn't take his visit to Olliewood?

Reaction Score
The Wenyen posts of him being a one and done or 2 year guy are also laughable. While the kid has jumped the rankings in a huge way if you watched him at all he is way too weak and skinny for even a thought of the next level. 2 years? Maybe but he can't mature physically fast enough to be a one and done with that body, no way. And while his skill set is real nice, there's a ways to go with his handle, shooting and defense as far as guarding people. Not everyone is or even should be ready for the draft after one or 2 years of college. Doesn't mean they can't be a highly ranked senior but we think way too much of how good these kids are for some reason.

And of course I can't go without throwing in my Amida 2 cents - he is not the 2nd most important player on the team I'm afraid but could be. That's up to him and how far he comes as well as if he is someone ready for the next level. I won't disappoint here either, he's not a 7 footer, he may be 6'10 but that's it. But he certainly is as long as a 7 footer and could play that way given strength but a lot more of that needs to be added. Listen, best thing for all is to see where he is at this year, enjoy the fact he is in a Husky uni again this year and potentially next year while allowing himself the opportunity to grow as a player. Like I said it may seem like I don't think much of him but I do, we are fortunate to have one of the top centers in the college game and his ceiling is still within reach. He just really needs to understand the game more and do the right things more to make himself more attractive as well as make the Huskies even more formidable. If he makes that leap in the intelligence of the game I promise this team will be really really good.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Wenyen posts of him being a one and done or 2 year guy are also laughable. While the kid has jumped the rankings in a huge way if you watched him at all he is way too weak and skinny for even a thought of the next level. 2 years? Maybe but he can't mature physically fast enough to be a one and done with that body, no way. And while his skill set is real nice, there's a ways to go with his handle, shooting and defense as far as guarding people. Not everyone is or even should be ready for the draft after one or 2 years of college. Doesn't mean they can't be a highly ranked senior but we think way too much of how good these kids are for some reason.

And of course I can't go without throwing in my Amida 2 cents - he is not the 2nd most important player on the team I'm afraid but could be. That's up to him and how far he comes as well as if he is someone ready for the next level. I won't disappoint here either, he's not a 7 footer, he may be 6'10 but that's it. But he certainly is as long as a 7 footer and could play that way given strength but a lot more of that needs to be added. Listen, best thing for all is to see where he is at this year, enjoy the fact he is in a Husky uni again this year and potentially next year while allowing himself the opportunity to grow as a player. Like I said it may seem like I don't think much of him but I do, we are fortunate to have one of the top centers in the college game and his ceiling is still within reach. He just really needs to understand the game more and do the right things more to make himself more attractive as well as make the Huskies even more formidable. If he makes that leap in the intelligence of the game I promise this team will be really really good.
You mean miller can't handle the intelligence part on his own? Why else would we bring in someone from Cornell?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
most polarizing UConn player ever
I wouldn't characterize these comments about Brimah as vitriol. There is debate about his ability to get into the NBA. There is debate whether he will learn to understand the nuances of the game, develop better footwork on offense, adjust timing on defense to know when to block and when to position for rebounding. IMO it's a valid debate and people are presenting their arguments in a relatively measured manner.

I don't see any criticism of AB's game bleeding into a target of his character. He seems to be universally liked. That was not the case for Taliek or Jerome. Those guys were easily the most polarizing players.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't characterize these comments about Brimah as vitriol. There is debate about his ability to get into the NBA. There is debate whether he will learn to understand the nuances of the game, develop better footwork on offense, adjust timing on defense to know when to block and when to position for rebounding. IMO it's a valid debate and people are presenting their arguments in a relatively measured manner.

I don't see any criticism of AB's game bleeding into a target of his character. He seems to be universally liked. That was not the case for Taliek or Jerome. Those guys were easily the most polarizing players.

This thread has nothing to do with Brimah, yet his name and his game has entered the conversation and the same tired ol responses that we see again and again are now filling up the thread. We're talking about the player here, and in that case Brimah is certainly not universally well liked.

Reaction Score
I read most of the recruiting posts on BY since many do a great job with info but I am constantly dismayed at some of the lack of knowledge, stupid comments and anger that seem to come from various posters. AB is a great kid and the reason KO made him captain. He is always the first one up to congratulate other and to support a teammate. He has come a long long way from his freshman year and IMHO will only get better. He is a fantastic athlete for his size and is incredibly intelligent. Does he have flaws yes, but he continues to address them and move forward. How about we talk about Gabriel?

Reaction Score
I read most of the recruiting posts on BY since many do a great job with info but I am constantly dismayed at some of the lack of knowledge, stupid comments and anger that seem to come from various posters. AB is a great kid and the reason KO made him captain. He is always the first one up to congratulate other and to support a teammate. He has come a long long way from his freshman year and IMHO will only get better. He is a fantastic athlete for his size and is incredibly intelligent. Does he have flaws yes, but he continues to address them and move forward. How about we talk about Gabriel?

Lack of knowledge, stupid comments and anger? Didn't see much of that but I did see some who expressed some opinions.

Having said that moving on to Gabriel is one of the smartest things on this post.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Maryland fans have been awfully cocky/confident that they will be landing Gabriel the last few weeks. Nothing would make me happier to take that from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom