Season Ticket count | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Season Ticket count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're never going to get white collar businessmen in the northeast devoting entire weekends to a 3 hour college sporting event. It's not the culture up here and likely never will be. What you can do is win a bunch of games to the point that you're selling more season tickets than now (easily doable with a few winning seasons) to the point that every game sells out with game day sales.

I don't know why. The Patriots and Giants sure seem okay and it's exactly the same culture. Except tickets are 3-4 times as expensive.

I think the culture can be built. It just isn't going to happen in the first decade. Kids now are just starting to graduate from UConn knowing about the football program. It takes time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If we want conferences to take notice, nothing would be louder than an stadium that is sold out on a season ticket basis. Seems a bit shortsighted to me, but I know the mentality. I throw tickets away most weeks, so I know the demand isn't there.

I agree 100% that selling out our season tix would make conferences take notice but we're too young a program to expect this to happen yet. However we should hope for an increase of sales each year and that hasn't happened.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The topic of Season Ticket Sales has always intrigued me, so I have kept what was sent to me in years past from Desmond Conner.

2011 - - 25,000 (From an earlier post)
2010 -- Never got this number

2009 -- 26,500 (As of 09.02.09).
2008 -- 28,000
2007 -- 27,000
2006 -- 30,000
2005 -- 32,000
2004 -- 28,000
2003 -- 24,000

As you can see, while only July, 19,000 Season Tickets sold is atrocious. I completely understand that I am posting this information to all the Die Hard Fans on here. It seems that the "newness" of the UConn Football product seems to be wearing off. I find it interesting that in 2006 we had 30,000 Season Tix sold, which was a first year of the 2nd 3 Year Ticket Plan and was coming off the losing season during the Bones Era. Our high water mark of 32,000 in 2005 was coming at the end of a 3 year plan and after the Dan O. Years in which we went 9-3 and 8-4.

I think a combination of an upgraded schedule, winning record and better marketing will go a long way to getting these numbers back in the 30,000s. Going into the this season, I actually feel very optimistic on all three of these fronts that by the close of 2012, the football program will be trending upwards.

Reaction Score
Losses combined with boring offense always hurts season tickets sales. Double whammy last year.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Losses combined with boring offense always hurts season tickets sales. Double whammy last year.

Add a weak schedule slate this year as well. Replacing WVU with Temple and opening on a Thurs night will make people go more towards the game by game ticket sale approach. Next year's schedule should be better and hopefully we should have a good season this year and season tix will rebound.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
for my krewe (down to 7 from 9 for this cycle) the biggest issue has been the TBA starting times. A bunch of the guys have kids with activities and cant commit if they dont know when the games will start. And they know a single ticket can usually be bought cheap or more often gifted in the parking lot if they aren't buying the season. I realize this is mostly because the Big East is beholden to TV, but you would think the league could do a little better job, perhaps listing games with two potential start times, rather than TBA. They have to have some clue as to the potential time slots.

As for Michigan 2013, Ive already told my sister (UM '87) she'll have to buy season tickets to get into the game, and then just "donate" all the other games to me LOL

Reaction Score
The topic of Season Ticket Sales has always intrigued me, so I have kept what was sent to me in years past from Desmond Conner.

2011 - - 25,000 (From an earlier post)
2010 -- Never got this number

2009 -- 26,500 (As of 09.02.09).
2008 -- 28,000
2007 -- 27,000
2006 -- 30,000
2005 -- 32,000
2004 -- 28,000
2003 -- 24,000

As you can see, while only July, 19,000 Season Tickets sold is atrocious. I completely understand that I am posting this information to all the Die Hard Fans on here. It seems that the "newness" of the UConn Football product seems to be wearing off. I find it interesting that in 2006 we had 30,000 Season Tix sold, which was a first year of the 2nd 3 Year Ticket Plan and was coming off the losing season during the Bones Era. Our high water mark of 32,000 in 2005 was coming at the end of a 3 year plan and after the Dan O. Years in which we went 9-3 and 8-4.

I think a combination of an upgraded schedule, winning record and better marketing will go a long way to getting these numbers back in the 30,000s. Going into the this season, I actually feel very optimistic on all three of these fronts that by the close of 2012, the football program will be trending upwards.

19,000 is what it is, it's about a 25% decrease from a year or two ago at this time. Ticket sales for sporting events of all kinds, are struggling in a wide spectrum, for many reasons.

As for UConn football, Multiple factors at play, but the common denominator is the complete failure of the athletic department to capitalize on the momentum that the "newness" of the football program generated in 2003, combined with the success on the field through 2005. THat, thankfully has changed, (managment/leadership in the AD) but we've got an uphill battle to face, to get that season ticket buyer number back up to where it was 7 years ago.

It's also important to look at overall attendance in the same time frame. What you'd see there, is that attendance is also on a downswing, but the attendance figures also tell more of the story. People are still buying tickets, they're just not buying season ticket packages as much.

That newness is long gone, and the athletic department, marketing, ticketing, did ZERO to generate new buyers for several years, and let all those multiple package repeat and new buyers from 2005, turn into single game buyers.

Combine that, with the evenst of the past 18 months or so, with the fact that now, the ticketing department is actively marketing mini-plans, and discounted packages to go with the regular full season ticket packages......The Jan. 1, 2011, primetime, new year's day blowout, which very well was the first time that hundreeds of thousands of potential ticket buyers saw UConn football play, and the swirl of controversy about how an 8-4 team could be there, the head coach leaving for maryland about a 1/2 hour after the final whistle, a first year head coach, a losing season, and no bowl game for the first time in years,

...and at the same time all that is happening to our program, and it's fans.......the loss of the Syracuse, Pitt, and WVU from the conference, and an entirely new conference for football with entirely new traditions to build up?

I think that if you step back, while 19,000 represents what it does statistically, a 25% drop in season ticket package sales ....... its also pretty good, that with all the factors at play, a 25% decrease in season tix sales as of july 2012, could be a hell of a lot worse.

I would expect that attendance to the early season games, UMass, Buffalo, is going to be poor. If the team gets on a roll, though, and manages to get through to conference play with a decent record and competing for top 25 recognition/ranking?

The attendance come conference play will be just fine, and it will be up to the marketing and ticketing people, to turn those single game buyers in to multiple package buyers.

Reaction Score
I don't know why. The Patriots and Giants sure seem okay and it's exactly the same culture. Except tickets are 3-4 times as expensive.

I think the culture can be built. It just isn't going to happen in the first decade. Kids now are just starting to graduate from UConn knowing about the football program. It takes time.

Patriots and Giants happen to be regular super bowl contenders in the past few years. I think that's pretty important when it comes to ticket sales demand.

Reaction Score
Patriots and Giants happen to be regular super bowl contenders in the past few years. I think that's pretty important when it comes to ticket sales demand.

That and 7mil people living in NYC alone probably helps.

Reaction Score
for my krewe (down to 7 from 9 for this cycle) the biggest issue has been the TBA starting times. A bunch of the guys have kids with activities and cant commit if they dont know when the games will start. And they know a single ticket can usually be bought cheap or more often gifted in the parking lot if they aren't buying the season. I realize this is mostly because the Big East is beholden to TV, but you would think the league could do a little better job, perhaps listing games with two potential start times, rather than TBA. They have to have some clue as to the potential time slots.

As for Michigan 2013, Ive already told my sister (UM '87) she'll have to buy season tickets to get into the game, and then just "donate" all the other games to me LOL
Can't commit because they "have kids with activities"? Sounds like a copout line. I had 3 kids in grade school (grades 5,3,K) when I first started buying season tickets. They played fall sports, were into scouting, & did other after school activities (drama, religion classes, etc.) It didn't impact my decision to purchase season tickets. (Maybe it helped that my wife & I were troop leaders, asst. coaches & could dictate scheduling times.;))

Reaction Score
I don't recall the specifics of who bought what, and how it was done, I'm sure there are others around here that would jump on me if I try to explain it and get it wrong, but some of the numbers on sales early on, are sketchy in reporting attendance. There was a lot of corporate type sales of seats early on for rentschler, and what is reported as ticket sales, sell outs, etc..... didn't correlate very well to actual gate counts of people in the seats, so 32,000 season tickets - didn't translate very well to 32,000 people in the seats.

I'm sure there are others around here that can explain that better than I can, we've been through it all before when discussing ticket sales.

In recent years, though, the actual ticket sales, and gate counts at the game, correlate at lot better.

Bottom line, is that the numbers reflect a 25% decrease from what was reported in the past two years.

Winning games, will help that quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Can't commit because they "have kids with activities"? Sounds like a copout line. I had 3 kids in grade school (grades 5,3,K) when I first started buying season tickets. They played fall sports, were into scouting, & did other after school activities (drama, religion classes, etc.) It didn't impact my decision to purchase season tickets. (Maybe it helped that my wife & I were troop leaders, asst. coaches & could dictate scheduling times.;))

I agree, and I've been there done that.

Reaction Score
We have a student body of 22000, why aren't at least half of those season ticket holders?. We need to get The students on board!!

Reaction Score
FYI:

Regarding actual gate count reported attendance, we were reporting steady for a few years around 38k and change average attendance through 2010.

2011 saw that drop to 36k and change reported.

I expect that early season attendance is going to be poor, not good. Be prepared for the news.

It's expected. We went 5-7, last year, with a new coach, the first time that vast majority of UConn fans have ever experience a major coaching change in a major sport, and we lost three of our conference rivals.

Winning games and getting in to the top 25 tends to fix things very quickly though.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We have a student body of 22000, why aren't at least half of those season ticket holders?. We need to get The students on board!!
i agree. but if the stadium was on campus we would have 15k in students season tix. then people here would argue that alot less ppl around the hartford and southern areas would go to games. ok fine. i would rather have 15k students and 10k alum/fans then 14k alum/fans and 6k students. but each year those kids graduate they see going back to campus on saturdays as part of culture, it develops quickly. people dont see the rent as a real destination. its a parking lot with a above average mac stadium. sorry thats harash. its not exactly big boy ish which is where we want to be. students have to take 30 min bus rides and there aren't enough or w/e the issue is. the states next project should be selling the rent to a mls team by 2018 and making the highway extension. we continue to create a lax culture of hey, we can come to a place near you so u can watch. instead of come to uconn, see our beautiful campus etc etc and enjoy a day or night here. that leads to kids growiing up wanting to go there and that leads to d 1 athletes from the state wanting to go there and that leads to more grads that stay in the state and become ticket holders. the result is that the towns around storrs all become little college towns instead of nothings like right now. they can develop into little college towns like post road fairfield for example. that is what uconn needs. you can create a college town thru sports. sports bring huge crowds to campus again and again. eventually the towns get built up around that, but were not using that instead we run everything to hartford. were doing things wrong form a while ago and fighting it. thats my opinion on it. get the out of hartford and bring the fan base with you. rant over.

anyway, i hope we have a nice spike the last month and at least get it back up in the mid 20's.

Reaction Score

This is the only downside to having an off-campus facility. It's easy to fill a stadium to capacity when you've got students to put in the seats that can stumble out of their dorm rooms from doing bong hits, or funneling beers, and go to the stadium. Not that students at UConn ever do things like that.

The fact that the stadium is off campus, and that to fill to capacity, you don't have the entire student body to fall back on, is one of the reasons that made me even more upset with the athletic ticket/marketing under our former AD. The focus on ticket sales, and constantly generating new buyers, and retaining repeat buyers and turning new buyers and repeat buyers into multiple package buyers has to be even greater at UConn, than anywhere else.

One of the simplest ways, to build that momentum is to keep track of people's email addresses, every time a ticket is purchased.

I wonder if there is a database in the athletic department of all the emails and addresses of anyone that has ever bought a ticket, dating back to 2003. My guess, is that there is one, but it probably doesn't go back farther than 2008 or so, if that far back.

Totally guessing on that.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

I agree, and I've been there done that.

sounds like you two need to get a life. Did I mention we are coming from Norwalk, 1:15 with no traffic, up to 1:45 with traffic. My guess is both of you live within a half-hour of East Hartford

pj

Reaction Score
UConn m & w basketball got people excited once they won, football will too.

The difference is that in an 85-athlete sport, you can't elevate your chances with just a few players, so it's a much longer bootstrapping process. But I'm with Huskyfandan. It will happen. College football is cheap entertainment, especially at UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn m & w basketball got people excited once they won, football will too.

The difference is that in an 85-athlete sport, you can't elevate your chances with just a few players, so it's a much longer bootstrapping process. But I'm with Huskyfandan. It will happen. College football is cheap entertainment, especially at UConn.

Yes indeed. Don Nehlen was talking about UConn football back in 2002-2003, and he told UConn people, that we all need to be patient. It takes 1 impact player to change a basketball program. In football, you need 15-20 every year, and you've got 2-3 years minimum, before they are going to have any sort of game day impact, and you've got to hope that you can keep those 15-20 eligible academically and not socially shooting themselves in the feet before they can get there.

I think what Pasqualoni has done with our roster in approximately 18 months, is remarkable, and it will get better. If I'm not mistaken, going into fall 2012, we will have close to 75% of the roster turned over from what we had in spring 2011. The players from #1 to #4, all over the field on the depth chart, will look like division 1-A players that can step out on the field on game day and not be overmatched with any opponent. I think that when practices are running this year, the level of competition on the field, will be nothing like what any of the upperclassmen have seen before, and our team is going to be a lot better for it.

I just hope that they don't beat the snot out of each other too badly, before we can line up against the other color jerseys come end of August.

THat's something we've simply never had at this level of football - a full division 1-A roster. We've put teams on the field, with starters that can match up and beat anybody in the country on any given day, but when you got past the #1s.......?

It's a testament to what Edsall was able to accomplish at UConn and his coaching ability. Got to take the good with the bad always, and as much as I disliked his approach to the game, he found a way to win, with what he had, and he took that program he built, to it's limits.

to go beyond what we accomplished, you have to have a machine that can remove and plug in parts without hiccuping. Players always go down and out. That's why the sanctions that PSU got, is going to put a ceiling on how far they can go with winning. Competing at 1-A with 65 scholarships? Ruh roh.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Typical home football weekend at a major college program:

Thurs: (Wednesday for really big games): RVs begin arriving.

Friday: most fans outside a 100 mile radius begin arriving.

-Check-in to hotel or wherever your staying.
- Hit the local supermarket for last.minute tailgate supplies, beer, and ice.
- Walk through campus.
- Hit the local town paying special attention to local watering holes, perhaps pick up a new t-shirt, hat, jersey or whatever for the game.
- Have dinner usually at a local haunt you couldn't afford when you were a student or go the other way and hit that old place you used to go.
- Party and hang with people you haven't seen since the last game.
- Go to bed.

Saturday: day trip fans within a two-hour drive show up.

- Set up your tailgate. You are there as soon as the lot opens to get your usual spot. Usually around 7-8am. It doesn't matter what time the game starts.

- Make breakfast. Throw the football, drink a few, watch Gameday on the satellite if you are so prepared.

- for 3:30 and later, make lunch, perhaps take another stroll through campus or visit other tailgates.

- enter the stadium to watch the pregame traditions, hit the restroom.

- Kickoff
- Final Whistle

- Make dinner at tailgate or if you're good enough to know the secret way out, pack up and hit your favorite restaurant before the masses can get out.

- revel in victory or just revel with your fellow fans.

- go to bed.

Sunday: exit plan.
- Get up early enough to hit the breakfast joint 15 minutes before the masses.
- if you arrived late Fri or Sat, do the campus, town, t-shirt thing.
- check out
- Hit road back home.

As far as we've come, we still have a ways to go.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

- Walk through campus.
- Hit the local town paying special attention to local watering holes, perhaps pick up a new t-shirt, hat, jersey or whatever for the game.
- Have dinner usually at a local haunt you couldn't afford when you were a student or go the other way and hit that old place you used to go.
- Go to bed.

- Set up your tailgate. You are there as soon as the lot opens to get your usual spot. Usually around 7-8am. It doesn't matter what time the game starts.

- Make breakfast. Throw the football, drink a few, watch Gameday on the satellite if you are so prepared.

- for 3:30 and later, make lunch, perhaps take another stroll through campus or visit other tailgates.

- Kickoff
- Final Whistle

- Make dinner at tailgate or if you're good enough to know the secret way out, pack up and hit your favorite restaurant before the masses can get out.

- go to bed.

- check out
- Hit road back home.

This is exactly why the big east dropped the ball for so long on football, and basketball ruling the roost. The big east let ESPN convince the conference that friday night was for college football.

College football primetime is saturday afternoon.

THis will be a big part of the next television broadcast contract for the football conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is exactly why the big east dropped the ball for so long on football, and basketball ruling the roost. The big east let ESPN convince the conference that friday night was for college football.

College football primetime is saturday afternoon.

THis will be a big part of the next television broadcast contract for the football conference.

ONE midweek prime time game per week is fine. The rest should be scheduled on Saturday at a time the makes sense for.each situation. For us, that's 3:30. Students can roll out to an on campus tailgate for a noon game but, not for a 30 drive. They also can get home in time for Sat night social activities.

Reaction Score
sounds like you two need to get a life. Did I mention we are coming from Norwalk, 1:15 with no traffic, up to 1:45 with traffic. My guess is both of you live within a half-hour of East Hartford
Um, actually, 35 minutes. But when the kids were young & I started buying season tickets, games were played in Storrs, a 50-55 minute drive from Southington.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Perfect weekend......

Seriously, how could you want to spend your weekends in the fall doing anything else?

Reaction Score

- Walk through campus.
- Go to bed.

- Kickoff
- Final Whistle

- go to bed.

- check out
- Hit road back home.

one of the few things I miss about being in Connecticut is being able to do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom