Season Ticket count | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Season Ticket count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a few friends who have not renewed for a few years because of unknown game times. Not knowing the game times have stopped them from buying season tickets but they still buy individual games for the games they are able to attend and they ended up getting better seats that way.

I know the game times are based on tv and it is out of UConn's control, part of big time college football, etc, but it does inhibit some people.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah and in this economy I suspect a lot of folks are like me, uncertain about whether they'll be employed at the end of the year. I'm not (yet) super worried about not finding work if I had to, but I would be looking at a larger geographic area. So I stay a single game buyer for now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have a few friends who have not renewed for a few years because of unknown game times. Not knowing the game times have stopped them from buying season tickets but they still buy individual games for the games they are able to attend and they ended up getting better seats that way.

I know the game times are based on tv and it is out of UConn's control, part of big time college football, etc, but it does inhibit some people.

Yeah every team in the country deals with that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Im not sure I get the math on single game buyers. It seems to be $40 a game after fees on a single game basis and the top of the rent is $120 for the season. Unless you only go to two games how does the math work?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It's not just us having problems. The NFL had its lowest per-game average since 1998 and overall sales have declined steadily since 2007. The two factors going against everyone are the economy and the rise of the inexpensive, high quality HD TV/entertainment system. We need to continue to win and do whatever we can to get fannies in the seats. If more-than-casual-but-not-diehard fans knew that every game would eventually sell out, they'd be much less likely to try to cherrypick a few games. We've got to get back to 30k season tickets - which virtually ensures sellouts every game. We'll get there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Im not sure I get the math on single game buyers. It seems to be $40 a game after fees on a single game basis and the top of the rent is $120 for the season. Unless you only go to two games how does the math work?

How many people pay full price for their tickets? If they do, they wouldn't be the people buying Top of the Rent season tix. You can easily find tix in the lots for $15-$20 a game. Sometimes lower depending on how intoxicated the seller may be (one of the perks of parking in red lot :cool:)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How many people pay full price for their tickets? If they do, they wouldn't be the people buying Top of the Rent season tix. You can easily find tix in the lots for $15-$20 a game. Sometimes lower depending on how intoxicated the seller may be (one of the perks of parking in red lot :cool:)

Usually much lower. I have a friend who has gone ro 80% of home games over a decade and he hasnt spent $100 total.

If there are people that feel the pinch of $120 or $150 versus single game scalping for $60 or $75 over the course of a year then I understand. I find it hard to believe there are many who don't buy $150 tickets based on the economy.

If we want conferences to take notice, nothing would be louder than an stadium that is sold out on a season ticket basis. Seems a bit shortsighted to me, but I know the mentality. I throw tickets away most weeks, so I know the demand isn't there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sunday Ticket and Red Zone and traffic and prices clearly impact the NFL. That isn't impacting UConn in the same fashion. We don't have traffic issues, the at home experience doesn't compare, and the prices are a fraction.

We have a fickle spoiled fanbase that only supports winners. We don't have enough hard core college football fans. It might change, but we've been graduating a decade worth of students in FBS and ticket sales are dropping, not rising.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you're throwing out tickets, give them to me.

Sure. I usually park in the numbered spaces and you are welcome to stop by and grab what's left over. They aren't usually good seats but they get you in the stadium. Sometimes they are suite tickets where you'd have to go find an empty seat in the bleachers.

Reaction Score
Sure. I usually park in the numbered spaces and you are welcome to stop by and grab what's left over. They aren't usually good seats but they get you in the stadium. Sometimes they are suite tickets where you'd have to go find an empty seat in the bleachers.
I'll hit you up later.

Reaction Score

Such a CT excuse . . . it's the case everywhere.

Reaction Score
Such a CT excuse . . . it's the case everywhere.

Well, yes, it is something everyone has to deal with (as I pointed out) but being that they are UConn alums living in NJ, MA, and NH and have a several hour drive and don't want to have to eat the tickets that it turns out they cannot use, I can understand. They make most games and end up with better seats than their season tickets were when they got them in the 04-08 seasons.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, yes, it is something everyone has to deal with (as I pointed out) but being that they are UConn alums living in NJ, MA, and NH and have a several hour drive and don't want to have to eat the tickets that it turns out they cannot use, I can understand. They make most games and end up with better seats than their season tickets were when they got them in the 04-08 seasons.

There is no way that UConn fans want to compare the average drive to the stadium against the major programs.

It's pretty simple: at big time football schools the games are the priority. Right or wrong, that is not the culture here.

At major schools nobody cares what time the game is at because they devote the weekend to going to the game. We don't have enough fans who do that so on July 24th UConn has 19k season tickets sold including the students and the band. After a decade, we enter August with probably 13k non student season tickets sold and that folks is why the we are on the outside looking in.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
You're never going to get white collar businessmen in the northeast devoting entire weekends to a 3 hour college sporting event. It's not the culture up here and likely never will be. What you can do is win a bunch of games to the point that you're selling more season tickets than now (easily doable with a few winning seasons) to the point that every game sells out with game day sales.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
were creating a culture. it takes time. we will be a powerhouse fanbase in due time. i wont have it any other way and i think most of u here also put up the fight in that. every ticket sold is progress every year. eventually it will turn into 35k sold by august. i can see it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're never going to get white collar businessmen in the northeast devoting entire weekends to a 3 hour college sporting event. It's not the culture up here and likely never will be. What you can do is win a bunch of games to the point that you're selling more season tickets than now (easily doable with a few winning seasons) to the point that every game sells out with game day sales.

Which might be true, but will forever lock the same people out of the events they would like to attend.

I have no idea what people can possibly do on Saturdays in Connecticut that is better than going to the games. The stadium's access is so easy that you really can attend a game with only a 4-5 hour commitment and still do other things.

Reaction Score
were creating a culture. it takes time. we will be a powerhouse fanbase in due time. i wont have it any other way and i think most of u here also put up the fight in that. every ticket sold is progress every year. eventually it will turn into 35k sold by august. i can see it.

I hope you're right, but recognize that it's at the moment less a question of why we're not higher and more a question about why we're going in the wrong way so much.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There is no way that UConn fans want to compare the average drive to the stadium against the major programs.

It's pretty simple: at big time football schools the games are the priority. Right or wrong, that is not the culture here.

At major schools nobody cares what time the game is at because they devote the weekend to going to the game. We don't have enough fans who do that so on July 24th UConn has 19k season tickets sold including the students and the band. After a decade, we enter August with probably 13k non student season tickets sold and that folks is why the we are on the outside looking in.

You keep making your point about "graduating a decade of fans" and poopooing the economic factors. Answer me this - what age group is being impacted worst right now?

We picked a lousy decade to upgrade :)

Reaction Score
..... at the moment (it's) more a question about why we're going in the wrong way so much.

It isn't much of a stretch to conclude that the "wrong way" is due to the convergence of several factors. In addition to the obvious fact that the poor economy has exerted a downward pressure on the fanbase, we also live in a much less rabid area for the sport. The fact is, this is a celebrity driven culture. While there are football fans who will pay to see the product each year no matter what, there are many others who will only come out to see someting that excites them. That means winning--- and that means stars. The publicity machine needs to crank it up around the fan experience and the stars we have. The marketing of the team needs to generate more buzz to help orchestate a boost in interest before The Rent can lay claim to being THE place to be on Saturdays. The task of making UConn football the priority when folks plan their fall weekend activities is the greatest athletic challenge for the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom