Search firm (not Neinas) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Search firm (not Neinas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So much ignorance written. To think the AD can delegate all of his other dut.ies to existing staff and start a hiring process using his existing staff is incredulous.

You guys are making his job A LOT harder than what it is. It's not like he has to paint the ice at the Frietas and sell popcorn at Gampel, too. Take a look at the UConn athletic directory staff directory some time.

It's a short term 5-6 week project we're talking about here.

Reaction Score
Maybe he should just friend Lembo and Herman on Facebook. "Hey bro, do you want to coach at UConn?"

Nah, do it your way and give Chuck Neinas or one his proteges 50-100K of UConn donor money to do it.

Reaction Score
You guys are making his job A LOT harder than what it is. It's not like he has to paint the ice at the Frietas and sell popcorn at Gampel, too. Take a look at the UConn athletic directory staff directory some time.

It's a short term 5-6 week project we're talking about here.

Maybe you should just say "uncle" on this one dude...:D

Reaction Score
Wow. This post is why we aren't allowed to have nice things.
Most impressive thing weist has done so far is show up on the sidelines sleeveless. That made me question his smarts, but then it made me realize why he continues to trot McCombs out to field kicks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe he should just friend Lembo and Herman on Facebook. "Hey bro, do you want to coach at UConn?"

I was gonna use the social media quip in one of my posts. But I'm sure Warde uses LinkedIn, Monster or professional social media sites.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He should know his top 10 candidates. I get he doesn't have the time to connect with the NSA and check every social media post or IP address potential candidates have made in the last 15 years.
Nobody is arguing that. But almost everything Warde would do falls under FOI requests and some candidates don't want that paper trail. And as someone else pointed out the search firms may have some names that Warde doesn't know are interested.
You have a point that some of these services are borderline extortion. But they do a great job of finding a niche as middle men. Once they have enough success stories they become a standard hire.
But there isn't an athletic dept in the country that has the in-house talent and time to do this as well as the search firms.
PES has financial and time comparative advantages and that's how they sell themself.

Reaction Score
Nah, do it your way and give Chuck Neinas or one his proteges 50-100K of UConn donor money to do it.
In the grand scheme of things, 50-100k, is not going to make or break UConn athletics. Why would you be so vehemently opposed to the standard practice in trying to get this right?

Reaction Score
He should know his top 10 candidates. I get he doesn't have the time to connect with the NSA and check every social media post or IP address potential candidates have made in the last 15 years.
We get it. You think hiring a football coach doesn't require a search firm. (Which is insane.) Now will you please just stop.

Reaction Score
Maybe you should just say "uncle" on this one dude...:D

This search firm stuff is no different than Calipari being buddies with World Wide Wes. It's just dressed up in a fancy Brooks Brothers suit.

Just curious when did search firms become such an indispensable part of the hiring process? Did UConn use one to hire Calhoun or Auriemma? Did Ohio State use one to hire Meyer?

Reaction Score
BC fired Jags because he got caught flirting. One more reason to have agents and search firms working outside the normal channels.

I love this one. A classic example of DeFillippo's situational ethics. Jags was doing as a football coach what BC did as an institution.

Reaction Score
Did UConn use one to hire Calhoun or Auriemma? Did Ohio State use one to hire Meyer?

There was no bar or expectations when JC or GA were hired. You get one shot now - use what tools and expertise are available. You throw out tOSU but ignored my ND, OU, or Nebraska examples of high powered AD's using a search firm to hire a head coach?

As uconnric points out - we got your view loud and clear. You can tuck an "I told ya so" into your boxers for use in the future if the path taken blows up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There was no bar or expectations when JC or GA were hired. You get one shot now - use what tools and expertise are available. You throw out tOSU but ignored my ND, OU, or Nebraska examples of high powered AD's using a search firm to hire a head coach?

As uconnric points out - we got your view loud and clear. You can tuck an "I told ya so" into your boxers for use in the future if the path taken blows up.

A final thought on it. The beauty of the search firms is they don't give the client o ne name. It's a pool of 3-5 qualified candidates. So when the inevitable disaster hire occurs the firm still has its arse covered to mitigate the "Told ya so" factor.

Reaction Score
You can tuck an "I told ya so" into your boxers for use in the future if the path taken blows up.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

I get the UConn cast and dynamic has changed since then. AD is better, there's no power vacuum because Herbst is control and I'd like to think she's keeping an eye on what's going on. It's incredibly obvious money was pissed away two years ago. Let's not do it again this time.

Reaction Score
I love this one. A classic example of DeFillippo's situational ethics. Jags was doing as a football coach what BC did as an institution.
BC/Defillipo's loyalty was to BC and BC only as it should have been. Any coach they hired should be loyal to BC period. They did good to can Jags. I used to hate BC for what they did. If I've learned one thing, is that they were ahead of the curve. Our mistake was not going 1A sooner. BC saw the writing on the wall with the Big East.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We can't win them all, but we must win this one! By any means necessary!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Warde should just use Craigslist. This is easy.
Thinking about it, if Hathaway had only used Angie's List, the negative reviews on P would have pointed him in a different direction and we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

Reaction Score
Seems like picking up the phone and making some calls would fall within the scope of a 400k job. Seems like you need a consultant to tell you how to wipe your these days. Just another way for highly compensated folks to avoid responsibility for their decisions. Hell, this board has already done most of the work on candidates.

Reaction Score
Get ready for incoming B-Dogs. I think Hartford and CT has gone from the insurance capital of the nation to the consultant capital.

Reaction Score
This search firm stuff is no different than Calipari being buddies with World Wide Wes. It's just dressed up in a fancy Brooks Brothers suit.

Just curious when did search firms become such an indispensable part of the hiring process? Did UConn use one to hire Calhoun or Auriemma? Did Ohio State use one to hire Meyer?
you do realize that Calhoun was hired almost 30 year's ago... Maybe WM should just list the job in the Classified Ads section of the Hartford Courant.

Reaction Score
Seems like picking up the phone and making some calls would fall within the scope of a 400k job. Seems like you need a consultant to tell you how to wipe your these days. Just another way for highly compensated folks to avoid responsibility for their decisions. Hell, this board has already done most of the work on candidates.
that's cute... using your other login in id to create support.

BlueDog = Ruskin...

Reaction Score
Well, do you want to wipe your ass right or what?

Reaction Score
Geez if as a group this board can come up with a list of who are plausible candidates (Lembo) and those who might be reaches (Mullen, Frost, Herman) how hard can it be to just come up with the names? It's paying someone to do that I have a problem with.
Then rest easy, he's not paying them to come up with the names. There is soooo much more going on than just sourcing the names here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom