Search firm (not Neinas) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Search firm (not Neinas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Boneyard has narrowed it down to three names for Warde that seem to be universally accepted. Lembo, Narduzzi, Mullen. Maybe he can throw us a pizza party.

We can even do the background check. I just Googled "Pete Lembo arrested" and came up with nothing. I need to take a nap before I investigate the other two. The Cesspool can investigate to make sure none of these three had anything to do with Benghazi.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The Boneyard has narrowed it down to three names for Warde that seem to be universally accepted. Lembo, Narduzzi, Mullen. Maybe he can throw us a pizza party.

We can even do the background check. I just Googled "Pete Lembo arrested" and came up with nothing.

If he throws in cheese sticks, I'll give him the name "Tom Herman" as well... ;)

Reaction Score
Sorry Fish. The interwebs have completely changed the search process. Very easy to identify, research and contact prospects. Once you indentify your top 5-10 then due dilgence with background checks (cheaper than search firm). This is an unneeded cost.

Dude. The firms talk to candidates that are currently employed for you, discretely. That's the whole idea. They also get their foot in the door in places that you otherwise couldn't. It's not a waste of money by any stretch of the imagination.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My only comment is if the University is going to use a search firm, why wasn't this negotiated WEEKS ago? The hire should be done by Thanksgiving so that the new coach can solidify his staff, evaluate current talent (or lack thereof) on the roster, & hit the recruiting trail to solidify commitments.
How do you know that it wasn't?

Reaction Score
Dude. The firms talk to candidates that are currently employed for you, discretely. That's the whole idea. They also get their foot in the door in places that you otherwise couldn't. It's not a waste of money by any stretch of the imagination.

IMO Warde should know who his top 5-10 candidates are by now. If he doesn't then UConn has hired the wrong man for the job. He shouldn't need to pay a middleman to come up with a list, reach out to gauge interest or get permission to talk from potential candidates' current employers. He also should be savvy enough to do this below the radar.

This is a job that will likely pay $2 million plus with the usual perks plus a plush office in a $50 million facility . That is the "door opener".

Hiring an outside agency to vet finalists is 100 percent reasonable. Hiring one to provide a list of names is not.

Reaction Score
Going to assume tj weist must be out of the running if he contacted a firm. Too bad i would love to see what three years of weist could have done for the program. I dont doubt he can coach but not sure about recruiting

Reaction Score
He knows who wants, he just needs intermediaries to talk to the for him, because they are currently EMPLOYED.

If anything this is a good sign.

IMO Warde should know who his top 5-10 candidates are by now. If he doesn't then UConn has hired the wrong man for the job. He shouldn't need to pay a middleman to come up with a list, reach out to gauge interest or get permission to talk from potential candidates' current employers. He also should be savvy enough to do this below the radar.

This is a job that will likely pay $2 million plus with the usual perks plus a plush office in a $50 million facility . That is the "door opener".

Hiring an outside agency to vet finalists is 100 percent reasonable. Hiring one to provide a list of names is not.
He I

Reaction Score
Going to assume tj weist must be out of the running if he contacted a firm. Too bad i would love to see what three years of weist could have done for the program. I dont doubt he can coach but not sure about recruiting

You can't possibly be serious. Have you ever had a head coach that you don't care for?

Reaction Score

wm may have his top 5-10 list.
the point of using a firm is to validate that list and determine if that really is the best options. there is nothing wrong with seeking the insight of others and using that to make the best decision. its called leadership and thats what we pay wm for.
not making decisions in a vacuum.

Reaction Score

Wow. This post is why we aren't allowed to have nice things.

Reaction Score
He knows who wants, he just needs intermediaries to talk to the for him, because they are currently EMPLOYED.

IMO you don't need a search firm to reach out to candidates who are under contract. Getting permission from the employer, certainly, although less-ethical ADs might consider skipping that step.

I was going to use the Fickell-FAU situation as an example but I just saw Urban Meyer wasn't really happy about it. In this instance don't see how a search firm would have made any difference in initiating the contact. Meyer would have been pissed either way.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
IMO you don't need a search firm to reach out to candidates who are under contract. Getting permission from the employer, certainly, although less-ethical ADs might consider skipping that step.

I was going to use the Fickell-FAU situation as an example but I just saw Urban Meyer wasn't really happy about it. In this instance don't see how a search firm would have made any difference in initiating the contact. Meyer would have been pissed either way.
Search firms - it's how the world works and should be money well spent.

Warde was hired to be an executive and make tough decisions. Executives don't always have the skills or the time necessary to do every aspect that their department handles -- they just to put the right people in place in order to get the job done and have information at their disposal to make informed decisions. He most likely has a short list for the firm to pursue and vet. The firm will also be hearing from candidates that have interest in UConn that Warde may not think are tangible targets. It's incumbent upon Warde to have all the information to make the best decision of his and UConn's life.

Hiring a football coach at a top university is a special task and hiring a search firm is money well spent!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
More pressing question is when does the new guy start? It better be less than 10 days after Memphis. None of this staying through the bowl game crapola.

Reaction Score
IMO you don't need a search firm to reach out to candidates who are under contract.[/B] Getting permission from the employer, certainly, although less-ethical ADs might consider skipping that step.

I disagree. BC fired Jags because he flirted with another job. Coaches under contract will not speak with you unless it has been made clear from their employer it is OK or if they are CERTAIN they are leaving one way or another . You use the search firm to reach out to their representatives .

Just as important in all of this, you use the search firm to determine if in fact a potential coach is interested. We all assume that any coach we offer will want to come here but, that may not be the case. The last thing UCONN can afford to do is be embarrassed publically by having a line of targets turn us down and have the public perceive that we settled for our 4yh or 5th choice

Reaction Score

Warde was hired to be an executive and make tough decisions. Executives don't always have the skills or the time necessary to do every aspect that their department handles -- they just to put the right people in place in order to get the job done and have information at their disposal to make informed decisions. He most likely has a short list for the firm to pursue and vet. The firm will also be hearing from candidates that have interest in UConn that Warde may not think are tangible targets. It's incumbent upon Warde to have all the information to make the best decision of his and UConn's life.

Hiring a football coach at a top university is a special task and hiring a search firm is money well spent!

I guess I'm outnumbered here I guess but I think the "search firm" thing is a racket like more than half of the "consulting" world. And now that I'm seeing more of the spectacular search firm fails like Julie Herrmann (although you had an RU big wig who was pushing her to push a political agenda) Im even more skeptical. Hiring a firm to vet Warde's top 10, that is a necessary part of the operation.

Geez if as a group this board can come up with a list of who are plausible candidates (Lembo) and those who might be reaches (Mullen, Frost, Herman) how hard can it be to just come up with the names? It's paying someone to do that I have a problem with.

Reaction Score
The last thing UCONN can afford to do is be embarrassed publically by having a line of targets turn us down and have the public perceive that we settled for our 4yh or 5th choice

Agreed, but at $475K a year Warde should be fully capable of pulling this off on his own under the radar.

No pun intended here -- Warde should have nothing else on his plate other than the football hire for the next seven weeks. There's enough staff at UConn to keep things running in the interim.

Reaction Score
And now that I'm seeing more of the spectacular search firm fails like Julie Herrmann (although you had an RU big wig who was pushing her to push a political agenda) .
FWIW - Hermann wasn't even on PES' initial list. She was added by BOT Sweeney. Parker still found and notified RU of the two lawsuits (albeit they never interviewed student athletes) - Sweeney pushed it through the search committee and RU still hired her.

Schools are more @ risk by taking shortcuts and doing it themselves as you would like. When AD's like Jack Swarbrick, Tom Osborne and Joe Castiglione with boodles more connections and experience than WM use them - it sez something.

The hire is still the responsibility of the school in the end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Well, someday when a major university hires you to be an AD, you can get a chance to do it your way. Until then you may want to consider that there is more going into this effort than you realize.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn Dit's s post: 746240 said:

Well said and it's amazin that this isn't apparent to everyone on this board.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I disagree. BC fired Jags because he flirted with another job. Coaches under contract will not speak with you unless it has been made clear from their employer it is OK or if they are CERTAIN they are leaving one way or another . You use the search firm to reach out to their representatives .

Just as important in all of this, you use the search firm to determine if in fact a potential coach is interested. We all assume that any coach we offer will want to come here but, that may not be the case. The last thing UCONN can afford to do is be embarrassed publically by having a line of targets turn us down and have the public perceive that we settled for our 4yh or 5th choice

BC fired Jags because he got caught flirting. One more reason to have agents and search firms working outside the normal channels.

Reaction Score
Well said and it's amazin that this isn't apparent to everyone on this board.

What? You don't think Warde has time to personally quibble with agents and conduct thorough background checks? I though he just had make a list and google their names?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed, but at $475K a year Warde should be fully capable of pulling this off on his own under the radar.

No pun intended here -- Warde should have nothing else on his plate other than the football hire for the next seven weeks. There's enough staff at UConn to keep things running in the interim.

So much ignorance written. To think the AD can delegate all of his other dut.ies to existing staff and start a hiring process using his existing staff is incredulous.

Reaction Score
What? You don't think Warde has time to personally quibble with agents and conduct thorough background checks? I though he just had make a list and google their names?

He should know his top 10 candidates. I get he doesn't have the time to connect with the NSA and check every social media post or IP address potential candidates have made in the last 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom