Search firm (not Neinas) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Search firm (not Neinas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You've convinced me. After reading what Bruno had to say I hope that Warde interviews at least one female candidate for our head football coaching position. He doesn't necessarily have to hire a female but it would be a damned shame if he doesn't even interview one.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Linda Bruno is African American woman - right?

????

The SI pull quote was about how minorities and women are under-represented. How is her race germane (by the way, looked here and thought she was Italian, not that it makes a difference. Reminds me of Seinfeld episode of how no one knew if one of Elaine's boyfriends was black).

Reaction Score
Schools (and bowl organization) that used them for sports programs.

Dartmouth
Oregon
Notre Dame
Tennessee
Houston
TCU
Iowa
Arizona State
Rose Bowl
Boston University
Georgia
Rutgers
Georgia Tech
Oklahoma
Northern Illinois
Minnesota
Rice
Nebraska
American University
Loyola College
Arkansas

Were they involved with the June Jones Arizona State fiasco a couple of years ago?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
????

The SI pull quote was about how minorities and women are under-represented. How is her race germane (by the way, looked here and thought she was Italian, not that it makes a difference. Reminds me of Seinfeld episode of how no one knew if one of Elaine's boyfriends was black).

My only point was you have a female (who ironically runs an executive search firm) complaining that minorities and women are under represented in the industry. Admittedly I was wrong on race...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've been thinking (inspired by an earlier thread), if hiring an African American coach would be a win-win, wouldn't hiring a female African American coach be a win-win-win? To make further add to the wins, if she were handicapped (bind would likely be the easiest to lfind) it would be a win-win-win-win.

Considering the tone of what we've recently seen in this thread, if we were to use a female, minority, handicapped search firm to assist us it then would be a win-win-win-win-win-win-win! We would be bowl eligible before the spring game. What could be better than that?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ruskin ignored it because he's the smartest man in the room. If only he were the one in charge of this hire. :rolleyes:

Gee I missed a page of this illiuminatng thread and missed a nugget that is VERY unflattering about Parker so I guess that disqualifies from me from commenting futher.

You have someone in mind other than Lembo Narduzzi or Mullen there, Mike?

Reaction Score
In the end - Parker did it's job for Rutgers.

http://www.collegesportsscholarship...candidate-to-restore-integrity-at-rutgers.htm

"Rutgers stated that it knew about the 2008 lawsuit against Louisville. It chose to hire Hermann nonetheless. Rutgers also knew about the 1997 lawsuit against Tennessee. It had university attorneys investigate the matter prior to hiring her. After the investigation, Rutgers chose to hire Hermann nonetheless."

Hope WM and SH are much more savvy...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You have someone in mind other than Lembo Narduzzi or Mullen there, Mike?
Nope. Not sure why I should. I just hope UConn researches this choice thoroughly and makes a great hire who can turn this around... I'll be cheering whoever it is on, regardless.

Reaction Score
Seriously medic you have to restrain yourself from this 'it's already been posted' stuff. It's like lashing out for, oh, say, getting someone's race wrong.

Geez - it was a direct response to you, not even a sub-thread.

When I'm clearly wrong I admit it. Now my mother- in - law on the other hand...

I will try real, real hard to not respond in this thread anymore.

Reaction Score
When I'm clearly wrong I admit it. Now my mother- in - law on the other hand...

There's a disconnect (not literally) between the USA Today (really Bergen County Record) story which says "Parker failed to uncover" and the less professionally written (very PR release like) collegesportsscholarships.com story. I'm inclined to believe Parker didn't uncover. You'll notice how eager Parker made themselves available for an ESPN reputation-restoring puff piece after the Hermann fiasco.

But you're right that Sweeney pushed Hermann because of a political agenda. Very, very very much apples and oranges (very much) but similarly to McHugh pushing P (under the radar and with plausible deniability) because of their old-boy connection.

Reaction Score
There's a disconnect (not literally) between the USA Today (really Bergen County Record) story which says "Parker failed to uncover" and the less professionally written (very PR release like) collegesportsscholarships.com story. I'm inclined to believe Parker didn't uncover. You'll notice how eager Parker made themselves available for an ESPN reputation-restoring puff piece after the Hermann fiasco.

But you're right that Sweeney pushed Hermann because of a political agenda. Very, very very much apples and oranges (very much) but similarly to McHugh pushing P (under the radar and with plausible deniability) because of their old-boy connection.

Your inclination to believe "Parker didn't uncover" is... Ummmm... Ahhh.. Aw heck, I'll let the more " professionally written"USA Today explain:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...gers-julie-hermann-athletic-director/2394119/

I had a moment of weakness after you just didn't let it lie ;):D

Enjoyed the back and forth. Can we agree to disagree?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jurich hired Strong WITHOUT A SEARCH FIRM. In case you forgot that was the debate. As usual it doesn't take you long to get to the ad hominem . . . . If you're so bored why are you still posting?
Jurich hired Strong WITHOUT A SEARCH FIRM. In case you forgot that was the debate. As usual it doesn't take you long to get to the ad hominem . . . . If you're so bored why are you still posting?

Ad hominem?
Logic is weak: You are using two limited examples to prove your point (which is that search firms or consultants add little value). 1) Jurich hiring Strong without a sirch firm and 2) Hathaway using a firm and coming up with PP.
In the grand scheme of hiring D1 BCS level coaches there are hundreds of successful hires where a search firm was used. In an industry where AD's/University Presidents can choose to use search firms the majority do so. That fact alone suggests the universities find value in the services provided by search firms related to coaching hires. And while you put Jurich on a pedastal for hiring Strong, you completely ignore the previous hire, Kragthorpe. A hire that could have been avoided had it been vetted through a consultant or search firm.

Position is Stupid: You continue to suggest that WM is using a search firm because he doesn't want to take accountability for the decision, nor does he have a list of candidates. Show me where WM is giving up the decision to a search firm. Also, show me where WM has suggested he does or doesn't have a list of candidates he wants to consider. This is made up garbage in your head that you are throwing out as if it's fact.

Your Obstinence is boring: For 4 pages it is you (and Blue Dog) touting Jurich and Strong, Hathaway and PP as the logical support of your position. yet everyone here, people who work with consultants everyday (myself included), have suggested that consultants aren't typically hired to make decisions. they are paid to provide facts, insight, and opinion so that their client can make an informed decision. The argument isn't whether a search firm is good use of money, but rather did Uconn hire the right consultant or search firm. As with anything else, some are better than others. But instead, you've take up 4 pages blathering about made up facts, using your Blue Dog id as a convenient ally, and preventing a real discussion from happening.

Just to complete the lesson, Ad Hominem would have been:
You are an obstinate, pompous and therefore you are just wrong. While true, it simply uses your character
flaws to counter your argument. As outlined above, I attacked your logic and position and then simply stated that your obstinance is boring

Reaction Score
Are we really arguing about dropping $50k (or being generous, even $100k) in terms of a multimillion dollar operation? When the right hire could maybe (maaaaaybe) help UConn get into a P5 conference and many millions more in TV revenue???
we? no. Ruskin/Blue Dog is.

Reaction Score
The comparison to using a headhunter in the real business world is false. There's zillions of people floating out there with MBAs where it is entirely reasonable to hire a headhunter to find the right person for VP in charge of logistics or whatever because the talent pool is so vast. There's only 125 FBS head coaching jobs in the country, the talent pool is much, much smaller and it's very easy to identify candidates based on measurables that are very, very widely known. It's not like UConn's next coach is an assistant at Western Montana state.
Ummm genius, what about the hundreds of NFL coaches, assistants and coordinators? are you now mandating in this search that you have nothing to do with, that the pool is limited to a pool of 125 FBS candidates?

Reaction Score
Don't forget Petrino and that small getting U of L into ACC thing
how much was jurich and how much was the situation? UofL was solid target for the Big12 so the ACC needed to react fast. CT is believed to be a target of one conference so there was no need to react immediately. And for now, that assumption seems to be true.
I'm sure Jurich helped the conversation and pumped up the university. But the ACC is not making a 30 year commitment to a school based on an AD that is gone within 5-10 years.
Conversely, if the ACC chose Uconn, does that make Jurich less of an AD?

Petrino won at Louisville, but was he considered a great hire? The guy has left more damage in his wake than a tornado ripping though a trailer park. Serious character flaws. Not sure Jurich would bang his chest touting that hire.

Reaction Score
If I was using "genius" as a knock I'd double-check my reading before posting.

There's only 125 FBS head coaching jobs in the country, the talent pool is much, much smaller and it's very easy to identify candidates based on measurables that are very, very widely known.

Since you need have this explained, I'll amend to "the talent pool FOR THOSE JOBS is much, much smaller". Clearer?

Reaction Score
In the end - Parker did it's job for Rutgers.

http://www.collegesportsscholarship...candidate-to-restore-integrity-at-rutgers.htm

"Rutgers stated that it knew about the 2008 lawsuit against Louisville. It chose to hire Hermann nonetheless. Rutgers also knew about the 1997 lawsuit against Tennessee. It had university attorneys investigate the matter prior to hiring her. After the investigation, Rutgers chose to hire Hermann nonetheless."

Hope WM and SH are much more savvy...
what? Rutgers made the decsion? I thought they hired a firm to do that.

Reaction Score
BYU isn't a BCS job, Tuberville knew Cincy wasn't going to be a BCS job. This is one of the few good non-BCS jobs. As bad as this particular team is this particular year, the job is a lot better than a lot of people here are making it out to be.

Let's inject a little intellectual honesty here. Tuberville was on bad terms at Texas Tech. It was a bad fit for both. He was going to get canned eventually. Cincy was the softest landing he could find. The program is in good shape and has decent prospects of being added to a P5 conference.

BYU may not be BCS but they have tremendous history and tradition and they are one of the few schools that has viability as an independent.

UConn is a good gig, but it has it's drawbacks. The recruiting territory is hardly prime. As a rebuilding job it's a bigger challenge than most.

These are not apples to apples in terms of comparisons.

Reaction Score
You may want to look up how Petrino got the job and what Jurich went of record with afterward. Jurich found out at halftime of the GMAC bowl that Smith had accepted the job at Michigan St and decided to relieve him of his durties immediately. Having to do something immediately promoted Petrino (so the team would have a coach for the second half). Jurich said that if he had known before the game he would have hired Kragthorpe as head coach.

Right. Kragthorpe was a personal friend of his. His committee of one approach backfired when he eventually hired him. But it's fair to note that Kragthorpe was considered a hot commodity coming out of Tulsa. People on this very board including myself thought that Jurich had hit a home run with that hire. His lack of performance was a surprise to many.

If all we are paying is 5o to 100 k for a firm then that is a drop in the bucket compared to what we will offer the next coach plus the substantial sum that we will fork out for his staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom