Reminder: Team USA game - 5:30 p.m. EDT on ESPN2 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Reminder: Team USA game - 5:30 p.m. EDT on ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Parker said Nneka is the most athletic player she's seen. Hardly hollow praise. I know all the talk about the experience. I'm going by eye ball test, I think Nneka is better than Cash and Jones.
Are you suggesting that if Nneka had played for Geno (and he wanted her badly) then she would have made the team? And just for some perspective, Nneka played and lost in a collegiate tournament this spring while Jones was winning MVP of the Euroleague championships. Or doesn't that count because she didn't play in the PAC 12 last year? LOL

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Nneka wasn't even in the pool of national players! This argument is just not really valid. No one is denying that she's a great player. But replacing anyone on the current Olympic team? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
hello, I don't expect people here to agree with me about that, but if I can't post an opinion of the USA team, then I'll see you later.

You've always been a good visitor here, cardfan but maybe - for all of us - the time to post our opinions of who should have and should have not been selected for the team is behind us.

IMO it's time to rally 100% behind the team that is playing for our country. And that's the part I've been most looking forward too!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You've always been a good visitor here, cardfan but maybe - for all of us - the time to post our opinions of who should have and should have not been selected for the team is behind us.

IMO it's time to rally 100% behind the team that is playing for our country. And that's the part I've been most looking forward too!

I think the BY is not that genteel... :D

IMO cardfan is simply engaging in a good ol' fashioned BY argument, with everyone taking their respective positions. Nothing wrong with it and nothing unusual around here. People are free to call it 'whining', as I am free to say it's not. Cardfan is certainly no fly-by-night poster and deserves to be able to mix it up without getting told to take it elsewhere.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
No one thinks Cardfan should take it elsewhere. I, for one, like the outside opinions. But I think most BYers here watch enough bball, NCAA and pro, to be able to form reasonable opinions. To say that we don't think she should be on the team because we "haven't seen her play" is ludicrous.

U

UCONNfan1

Nneka wasn't even in the pool of national players! This argument is just not really valid. No one is denying that she's a great player. But replacing anyone on the current Olympic team? I don't think so.
Sarals hit the nail on the head. She wasn't even considered. Should she have been? Given she is only 6'2" and is competing for the 4 spot against players like Cash, Catchings, Moore, Jones, and Parker, all who can step out and hit the 3 and all who are more versatile than Nneka (not to mention more experienced).

In 4 years, I'd imagine Jones, Cash, at the very least, will be gone making room for Griner and others. Maybe Nneka makes that team. IMHO I'd imagine there will be better guards than Whalen coming up (Simms, Diggens for example) so i could see no Cash, Jones or Whalen, then adding Griner, 1 guard, and that leaves 1 more spot. Nneka would certainly be deserving 4 years from now, but she wasn't even in the picture this time around so i'm not sure why there's even any controversey.

Anyone who says she "deserves" to have been on the team or "should have been" on the team... well... they are a little deluded.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
To say that we don't think she should be on the team because we "haven't seen her play" is ludicrous.

That part was a bit of a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
Alysa Auriemma tweeted that the ESPN analysts said the women's game was the "appetizer" for the men's game.

Sexism - alive and well in sports.
I mean, considering about 100 times as many people care more about the men's game, I'm not sure how that's sexism.

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that if Nneka had played for Geno (and he wanted her badly) then she would have made the team? And just for some perspective, Nneka played and lost in a collegiate tournament this spring while Jones was winning MVP of the Euroleague championships. Or doesn't that count because she didn't play in the PAC 12 last year? LOL

Of course I'm not suggesting that. I know Geno wanted both O sisters. For added perspective, had Nneka gone to UConn, she would have had much more national exposure so maybe people would have been more aware of her game vs. gripe about the conference she played in. She likely would have helped you beat ND in Indy and Denver. :) And we didn't lose because of Griner (Nneka outplayed her) or post play vs A&M in Indy. We lost, again, due to sub par pg and 3 pt shooting.

Coach Ross and Penny Toler recently said Nneka has better foot work and skills than Griner at this point and others tweeted why Nneka is not on USA team. Of course I understand she lacks EU and international experience, but Nneka is the best young player out of college (like Lobo and Latner in '96).

I'm 100% behind Geno and USA team and will cheer HARD for them. I think we'll win the gold in a cakewalk.

Reaction Score
I mean, considering about 100 times as many people care more about the men's game, I'm not sure how that's sexism.
The media keeps enforcing that fact by such minimizing references as being an "appetizer" to the men's game. Whether there are more people interested in the men's game or not, this is a USA national team. They deserve to be acknowledged on equal terms for that reason alone.

Reaction Score
No one thinks Cardfan should take it elsewhere. I, for one, like the outside opinions. But I think most BYers here watch enough bball, NCAA and pro, to be able to form reasonable opinions. To say that we don't think she should be on the team because we "haven't seen her play" is ludicrous.

I've seen her play A LOT more given there were few Stanford games TV in her 4 years. Maybe 5 year, and I see all, but about 5 in person.

Reaction Score
When you devalue someone based on their gender, that's an example of sexism.

Calling the women's game an "appetizer" devalues women. It was a disgusting comment.

completely agree.

Reaction Score
and when the say "the "Women" was such extra emphasis, like surprised the women have a team.

Reaction Score
Of course I'm not suggesting that. I know Geno wanted both O sisters. For added perspective, had Nneka gone to UConn, she would have had much more national exposure so maybe people would have been more aware of her game vs. gripe about the conference she played in. She likely would have helped you beat ND in Indy and Denver. :) And we didn't lose because of Griner (Nneka outplayed her) or post play vs A&M in Indy. We lost, again, due to sub par pg and 3 pt shooting.

Coach Ross and Penny Toler recently said Nneka has better foot work and skills than Griner at this point and others tweeted why Nneka is not on USA team. Of course I understand she lacks EU and international experience, but Nneka is the best young player out of college (like Lobo and Latner in '96).

I'm 100% behind Geno and USA team and will cheer HARD for them. I think we'll win the gold in a cakewalk.
The second best and third best teams in the world could be made out of US players that didn't get picked. This team was chosen for the most part 2 years ago, and has been working together for over 2 years. For all her talent Nneka has a couple of months of pro experience. And frankly, the team could use another guard more than another 4. I love watching her play. If she had been picked I would have had no problem. But there are legit reasons she wasn't picked.

On another point, I don't care how good her footwork is compared to Griner. If they both were available to me in a draft there is no doubt that Griner is my pick. Nneka is a shot blocker. Griner is a shot eraser, a shot alterer & a red light saying "don't even try it". No comparison.

Reaction Score
Sarals hit the nail on the head. She wasn't even considered. Should she have been? Given she is only 6'2" and is competing for the 4 spot against players like Cash, Catchings, Moore, Jones, and Parker, all who can step out and hit the 3 and all who are more versatile than Nneka (not to mention more experienced).

In 4 years, I'd imagine Jones, Cash, at the very least, will be gone making room for Griner and others. Maybe Nneka makes that team. IMHO I'd imagine there will be better guards than Whalen coming up (Simms, Diggens for example) so i could see no Cash, Jones or Whalen, then adding Griner, 1 guard, and that leaves 1 more spot. Nneka would certainly be deserving 4 years from now, but she wasn't even in the picture this time around so i'm not sure why there's even any controversey.

Anyone who says she "deserves" to have been on the team or "should have been" on the team... well... they are a little deluded.

That was one of pts, that she should have been considered when Griner turned it down. So, she is 6' 2" but she can dunk, easily. Moore, Cathings, Cash will be on the wing more than paint given our depth post players so her not hitting the 3 is not a problem.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't say she 'deserves' to be on the team. I said she'd bring energy and emotion, and some tweeted why she wasn't on the team. All those things are true. It was my opinion that she is more talented than some of the 4's, then named two of them (didn't matter to me where they went to college), so maybe I was insensitive about that, and folks got a little defensive. sorry.

Reaction Score
The second best and third best teams in the world could be made out of US players that didn't get picked. This team was chosen for the most part 2 years ago, and has been working together for over 2 years. For all her talent Nneka has a couple of months of pro experience. And frankly, the team could use another guard more than another 4. I love watching her play. If she had been picked I would have had no problem. But there are legit reasons she wasn't picked.

On another point, I don't care how good her footwork is compared to Griner. If they both were available to me in a draft there is no doubt that Griner is my pick. Nneka is a shot blocker. Griner is a shot eraser, a shot alterer & a red light saying "don't even try it". No comparison.

Nneka's footwork leads to better D, boarding and O, even 6 inches shorts, because Nneka is a better leaper. She is a better shooter too and has more range. Imho.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And now for something conpletly different, I was concerned that Swin had lost something in her last few game, but I' no longer troubled. She was good tonight.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Cardfan - love that you post here, and love your opinions, and have no problem with anything you have posted in this thread! I don't agree as I have posted earlier, but just wanted to comment on the nature of the posts. I felt no 'disrespect' and commenting about those that are not on the team seems not inappropriate at this moment of first seeing them play as a whole team.
I also want to say that Whalen was fabulous today! I was really impressed.

Reaction Score
Cardfan - love that you post here, and love your opinions, and have no problem with anything you have posted in this thread! I don't agree as I have posted earlier, but just wanted to comment on the nature of the posts. I felt no 'disrespect' and commenting about those that are not on the team seems not inappropriate at this moment of first seeing them play as a whole team.
I also want to say that Whalen was fabulous today! I was really impressed.

thanks UcMiami. I appreciate your comments.

I love Whalen's game and she looked good in Sue's absence today. One of my best friends went to Univ. Minnesota and when we get together, we almost always talk about hoops and Whalen's game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A coupla thoughts:
  • The crowd was terrible for the woman's game...shame!
  • If you want dunks, you're going to have to wait for Stewie... (and maybe Griner) :)
  • Forget Nneka, Rebecca said Stewie is ready for the WNBA, I think for the US team as well.
  • If Sue can't play, Kara would do just fine.
  • Let's not forget EDD, also ready for prime time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Covering the key points concisely. Nneka is a stud. To make the list of 12 she just needs a little more time and world experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom