Reminder: Team USA game - 5:30 p.m. EDT on ESPN2 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Reminder: Team USA game - 5:30 p.m. EDT on ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree that with how she has played this summer, it's clear she is good enough to be on it. so is KL. So are a few others. But given what the committee had to work with when they were picking, it's not a "mistake" that she was left off. No one was talking about this year being the Nneka lottery but many were already talking about next year being the Griner lottery. She brings a few unique elements to the table that no one else does.

that is the media's fault, not Nnekas. Read the article I posted below.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the problem for Nneka is timing - ten of the twelve players were on the WC team two years ago - and the missing were CP3 who wasn't going to be cut and AJ who was the last player added. I do think that Swin/Nneka is a good trade, but Swin also has the experience of Olympics and international play. And AJ has had a fabulous 12 months internationally and brings a ton of experience and an ability to spell at the post in a pinch.
In two years I see Nneka making the WC team.
The one I was most surprised didn't make it was Dupree. I thought she was really good on the WC team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
hmm.

USA Basketball: Earned gold medal with USA Basketball World University Games Team in 2011 ... ranked second on the team in scoring (13.2 ppg), rebounding (5.7 rpg) and shooting percentage (65.3)... invited to USA Select Team camp in April 2010 ... won her second gold medal with USA Basketball as co-captain of the FIBA U19 World Championship Team in July, 2008 ... part of the USA Women's U18 National Team, which captured gold and MVP with a perfect 5-0 performance at the FIBA Americas Championship in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in July, 2008.

bottom line, she can PLAY.

That is not the same as international pro experience against the best in the world for the last 10 years. It is very different than a year playing with those International players and against them all season.

Reaction Score
What all that proves is she is a good player against players her own age. Jury is out as to how good she is against the best in the world. Half of one WNBA season is not enough to know.

obviously you haven't seen her play in WNBA or read what other experienced players like Parker and Milton Jones have said about her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Griner and Nneka were very different candidates for this year's Olympic team. Griner earned some international experience with the USA team last year, but neither has experience against the level of competition they'd see at the Olympics. But Griner is the most unique and potentially the most dominating player in the women's game today and for those reasons stood a good chance of making the team. Nneka does not possess the uniqueness to overcome her lack of experience versus the wealth of experience that Swin and Asjha have against international competition.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
obviously you haven't seen her play in WNBA or read what other experienced players like Parker and Milton Jones have said about her.
I've seen her play. Her defense still needs work, and she needs more experience as a pro. Parker and Milton Jones are team mates, so what else would you expect from them?

Reaction Score
I've seen her play. Her defense still needs work, and she needs more experience as a pro. Parker and Milton Jones are team mates, so what else would you expect from them?

Parker said Nneka is the most athletic player she's seen. Hardly hollow praise. I know all the talk about the experience. I'm going by eye ball test, I think Nneka is better than Cash and Jones.

Reaction Score
The one I was most surprised didn't make it was Dupree. I thought she was really good on the WC team.
Don't know if I was surprised, but I sure miss Kara Lawson on this team. In 2008 she played like her hair was on fire.
Wish she was announcing the games for the Olympics!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't know if I was surprised, but I sure miss Kara Lawson on this team. In 2008 she played like her hair was on fire.
I would take adding Kara before Nneka.

The eye test is fine for athleticism but it tells one nothing about whether one is prepared experientially for the task at hand.

Reaction Score
What all that proves is she is a good player against players her own age. Jury is out as to how good she is against the best in the world. Half of one WNBA season is not enough to know.

she will be the best in world at her position.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Parker said Nneka is the most athletic player she's seen. Hardly hollow praise. I know all the talk about the experience. I'm going by eye ball test, I think Nneka is better than Cash and Jones.
And your eyeballs are very biased, so I don't care about what they tell you.

But if intend to whine about this on a UConn board all summer, say so now so I can put you on ignore because it is very tiresome.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
she will be the best in world at her position.

Is she playing the 3, mostly? I'm guessing the have CP3 penciled in at the 4, even though she plays everywhere (in a good way).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Twenty games in the WNBA season doesn't compare to years of international experience. But it really isn't the issue. USA Basketball put together the best team which brings into consideration a lot of factors beyond who is perceived as "better."

These ongoing critiques of the USA team and swipes at the integrity of USA Basketball is tedious.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Cardfan, this argument is silly. She will have plenty of opportunities to be on many international teams. You can't argue against any of the picks on the team this year. Nneka may have more potential, or be more athletic, but these are the 12 best players in the country at this moment. Also, this is a UConn board, so you are going to find very few people here that will say Nneka should be on it over AJ or Swin. Pick your battles!

Reaction Score
And your eyeballs are very biased, so I don't care about what they tell you.

But if intend to whine about this on a UConn board all summer, say so now so I can put you on ignore because it is very tiresome.

No, they are not biased eyes. I have a lot more experience watching her play than you. I am not whining, at all. just posted my opinion and that others tweeted the same thing. The thread was about the USA team, so maybe you should realize people may disagree about the USA team and it's not about UConn. Either way, I will cheer for Geno and USA the loudest.

Reaction Score
Twenty games in the WNBA season doesn't compare to years of international experience. But it really isn't the issue. USA Basketball put together the best team which brings into consideration a lot of factors beyond who is perceived as "better."

These ongoing critiques of the USA team and swipes at the integrity of USA Basketball is tedious.

I remember 1996 very well.

Reaction Score
Cardfan, this argument is silly. She will have plenty of opportunities to be on many international teams. You can't argue against any of the picks on the team this year. Nneka may have more potential, or be more athletic, but these are the 12 best players in the country at this moment. Also, this is a UConn board, so you are going to find very few people here that will say Nneka should be on it over AJ or Swin. Pick your battles!

hello, I don't expect people here to agree with me about that, but if I can't post an opinion of the USA team, then I'll see you later.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Kara Lawson was great in the 2008 Olympics but she didn't play very well in the 3 WNBA seasons that followed. It turns out that health may have been a contributing factor to Kara's sub-par seasons in the WNBA as she is playing very well now.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
No, they are not biased eyes. I have a lot more experience watching her play than you. I am not whining, at all. just posted my opinion and that others tweeted the same thing. The thread was about the USA team, so maybe you should realize people may disagree about the USA team and it's not about UConn. Either way, I will cheer for Geno and USA the loudest.
You are whining IMO and it's tiresome. So answer my question. Do you intend to whine about this all summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom