Reminder: Team USA game - 5:30 p.m. EDT on ESPN2 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Reminder: Team USA game - 5:30 p.m. EDT on ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LeBron for the longest time didn't do what he did last night, which is simply drive to the damn post every time he wants to unless he has a wide open shot from outside. He simply can't be stopped around the basket; his physical strength, hang time, and ability to utilize multiple release points, are just unfair. Team USA is going to need him to be that guy in the Olympics...and Durant is going to need to hit more shots from beyond the arc. Which he will, BTW. I think he was too jacked up about repping PG County at the Verizon Center with the President there. He was a force of nature at the 2010 FIBA championships.

Kevin drew the loudest cheers last night of anyone not named Barack.

Kobe and LeBron got lots of noise during the intros, but about 40% and 20% boos, respectively. When LeBron dunked to get the lead for the USA, it was all cheering.

This was a Washington Wizards/Washington Mystics/Maryland/Georgetown crowd. Coach K, interestingly, got a lot of boos when introduced.

There was no booing during game 1. The booing started with the intros in game 2. Definitely a different atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Cardfan, I think your position is very defensible, and I would say that there is no question that Nneka's performance in the WNBA this year has exceeded Swin's and probably at least equalled Asjha's. But you have to remember that 11 out of 12 members of the Olympic team were chosen in April, before the WNBA season had even started, so you really can't use her WNBA performance as evidence for your case. You've said that she should have been chosen after Griner declined to participate, but at that point you are talking about the 12th member of the team, who will be mostly a practice player in any case. For that purpose, someone who knows the coach's system and his expectations in practice is probably a better fit than someone who would be new to both.

If the WNBA season had been played when the roster was originally chosen, I think it is quite likely that Nneka would have been chosen.

The other factor is that some decisions in Olympic play are made to recognize a career achievement more than current skill. In 2004, Bird and Taurasi made the roster but played behind Dawn Staley, which was questionable based on their relative skills in 2004. But it was right to recognize Staley's whole career by giving her a premier role on her last Olympic team. I think that choosing someone like Asjha over Nneka this year may fall in the same category.

I understand and don't disagree with any of your points (or Ice or others). I also agree also that the team could use another guard vs. post, and Lawson could have helped too. My whole premise is that I believe Nneka is more of a complete player than Griner at this point, therefore, if Griner was considered for the team, I thought Nneka should have been as well. Obviously I'm in a minority in that opinion, but that's okay.

Reaction Score
I can understand Cardfan's loyalty to Nneka and I respect his desire to express his view here, that she should have been one of the twelve players selected. Surely a similar case could have been made for Kara Lawson (or perhaps some others) but no one stepped up with Cardfan's zeal and persistence.

Speaking of persistence, sometimes (as on this board about this topic) it is not only futile, but ultimately counterproductive. Think about what W.C. Fields had to say about it:

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If that doesn't work, quit! There's no point in being a damned fool about it."

well, I'm not a dood, and I'm really not loyal to Nneka per se, I just think she is amazing player and person. :) I'm sure she (and Chiney) will be on the 2016 team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I understand and don't disagree with any of your points (or Ice or others). I also agree also that the team could use another guard vs. post, and Lawson could have helped too. My whole premise is that I believe Nneka is more of a complete player than Griner at this point, therefore, if Griner was considered for the team, I thought Nneka should have been as well. Obviously I'm in a minority in that opinion, but that's okay.
I think that Nneka may be a more complete and skilled player than Griner, which is why I gave her (and EDD) consideration in my personal POY voting. But Griner is 6'8" and has a 7'4" wingspan. She is the best female player in the world with those traits, and, in basketball, those traits are key.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nneka, I agree. Chiney, too early to say. Depends on her development (and other factors, including the competition). I don't think Nneka was quite ready for 2012 in terms of experience, though she is good enough to play with the 12 who made it. Chiney is at least 2-3 years from being ready in terms of performance, in my view.

Reaction Score
Nneka, I agree. Chiney, too early to say. Depends on her development (and other factors, including the competition). I don't think Nneka was quite ready for 2012 in terms of experience, though she is good enough to play with the 12 who made it. Chiney is at least 2-3 years from being ready in terms of performance, in my view.

I agree Chiney underformed and gave way to Nneka, but I'd bet money she will have break out Jr and Sr years at Stanford. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why do you hate silly people so much...?

Oh wait...sorry...thought this was the Cesspool...never mind! ;)

Don't hate them, just find them silly. Don't really hate anyone, though there are a couple I despise (cough cough "ex" cough cough). :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree Chiney underformed and gave way to Nneka, but I'd bet money she will have break out Jr and Sr years at Stanford. :)
I don't know that Chiney underperformed. We'll see how she does without her sister. I expect her to be more assertive and to be working really hard over the summer. Like Nneka 2 years ago, Chiney is not ready for the Olympics as a soph/junior-to-be. Projecting out, I see the Olympics as a real possibility, whether in 2016 or 2020. My point is that it's a projection over multiple years. Nneka is much, much closer to ready. Who knows? In 2 years, Chiney may be better than Nneka is now, though Nneka has set the bar very, very high.

Reaction Score
I don't know that Chiney underperformed. We'll see how she does without her sister. I expect her to be more assertive and to be working really hard over the summer. Like Nneka 2 years ago, Chiney is not ready for the Olympics as a soph/junior-to-be. Projecting out, I see the Olympics as a real possibility, whether in 2016 or 2020. My point is that it's a projection over multiple years. Nneka is much, much closer to ready. Who knows? In 2 years, Chiney may be better than Nneka is now, though Nneka has set the bar very, very high.

I meant she underperformed in F4 games due to foul trouble. She is working very hard this summer. I'm sure you saw she recently made the USA Basketball 3x3 National Team that will compete at the inaugural FIBA 3x3 World Championship in Athens (with Diggins, Hartley and Alyssa Thomas).

You may be also interested in reading C&R's blog summarizing their trip to LA to see the Sparks play. They chatted with Mrs. O who had some interesting comments about her talented 2 elder daughters.
http://www.womenssportsinformation.com/blog.html

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I meant she underperformed in F4 games due to foul trouble. She is working very hard this summer. I'm sure you saw she recently made the USA Basketball 3x3 National Team that will compete at the inaugural FIBA 3x3 World Championship in Athens (with Diggins, Hartley and Alyssa Thomas).

You may be also interested in reading C&R's blog summarizing their trip to LA to see the Sparks play. They chatted with Mrs. O who had some interesting comments about her talented 2 elder daughters.
http://www.womenssportsinformation.com/blog.html
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member