Recruit Signing | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Recruit Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.... and I agree 100% with you - I prefer to judge classes after the fact.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you're saying coaches have no say in player development? You just recruit them and they turn out however? Coaching is nothing but X's and O's?

No I'm saying that these specific players were developed more by Edsall's staff than P's. They were all good players before P and co showed up on campus.

For example you may remember how much the contributed to a team that won the conference as underclassmen. They were already established and were all clearly very good players.

Reaction Score
cooper
phillips
dintino
ruther
holmes(speculation is we did offer recently after rutgers and another did...heard bc maybe)
torey
marchi(we offered only after temple did)

off the top of my head

But Dan you believe Outlow was begging for an offer, and yet there was NO way he was signing to play here. Let's be honest, watching film of guys playing CT HS football may not be the best gauge of talent. Each year this state produces a handful of talent, so every week any guy you have listed is lining up against kids who have no shot at playing D1 ball, even FCS. In other words, they bettter frigging dominate here. I have no problem wanting to make in person assessments of local talent. And if any of these so called "beggars" does not immediately commit when they get an offer (and some haven't), what is the definition of begging - begging to get 1st offer?

Reaction Score
No I'm saying that these specific players were developed more by Edsall's staff than P's. They were all good players before P and co showed up on campus.

For example you may remember how much the contributed to a team that won the conference as underclassmen. They were already established and were all clearly very good players.

You just want to believe that b/c you hate P. But the 4 guys drafted don't say that, and there is no way you can argue they were all top 125 guys 2 years ago. They might have been had RE stayed, but giving him more credit than P is odd. My goodness, RE was yelling at Sio after his dominating performance against WVU. I was a big fan of RE and took a lot of grief for it. But I am NOT giving him credit for getting guys thru their soph year.

Reaction Score
I'll just say this about recruiting and PP. The kids that we have signed have certainly garnered more interest than in the Edsall days. We have actually won battles that we would have never even attempted under Edsall. Kids have had multiple offers and we beat out 2 or 3 quality schools. Somebody probably said it best" our bottom half of recruiting is probably where we made the most progress. Rarely do we see the 2 star no offers. We also were very adept at picking up transfers ETC.

How does this translate on the field - we will see against MD.. It's P's big year.

Reaction Score
Jimmy,
in 2007 we had 6 recruits at 3 stars or better at Scout , in 2013 we had 12 i'm guessing yet the overall rank was lower.

Yeah. Yet in 2007 we had the 53rd rated class and in 2013 we had the 60th rated class. You almost made the case why we shouldn't put too much stock into these sites.

In 2007 these sites were just starting to take off. Kids would get bumps to drive subscriptions. That is the real story behind the star inflation.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
But Dan you believe Outlow was begging for an offer, and yet there was NO way he was signing to play here. Let's be honest, watching film of guys playing CT HS football may not be the best gauge of talent. Each year this state produces a handful of talent, so every week any guy you have listed is lining up against kids who have no shot at playing D1 ball, even FCS. In other words, they bettter frigging dominate here. I have no problem wanting to make in person assessments of local talent. And if any of these so called "beggars" does not immediately commit when they get an offer (and some haven't), what is the definition of begging - begging to get 1st offer?

my definition of begging for a offer is kids that are local who deserve a offer and to be recruited earlier then others because they are local.

when outlow runs over defenses for 2 season down the street from your campus and you only offer because bc and 5 others did already and he was deciding in 2 weeks thats extremely weak recruiting wise/strategy wise.

marchi is known. he worked out at uconn a lot. i posted a vid a while back of him at uconn for example. coaches kept telling him camp for the offer. all of a sudden temple discovers him and offers. in a blush and rush uconn then offers him a week before he camps. do u realize how silly that looks saving face? hopefully the kid loves uconn enough it doesnt effect his impression of the school being a local but my god that is a awful strategy and then worse blinking when the fire got warm.

we are stringing dintino along. when cuse or some 1 decides they want a center and offer, just watch the fireworks.

cooper has small offers and a old bc one im not sure if its still good or not

phillips has bcs offers

ruther is a tommy hopkins of this year

holmes got a rutgers offer and maybe another bcs one. all of a sudden we just offer 2 weeks ago(supposedly)

love the strategy. what is it again? can u explain it to me?

Reaction Score
my definition of begging for a offer is kids that are local who deserve a offer and to be recruited earlier then others because they are local.

when outlow runs over defenses for 2 season down the street from your campus and you only offer because bc and 5 others did already and he was deciding in 2 weeks thats extremely weak recruiting wise/strategy wise.

marchi is known. he worked out at uconn a lot. i posted a vid a while back of him at uconn for example. coaches kept telling him camp for the offer. all of a sudden temple discovers him and offers. in a blush and rush uconn then offers him a week before he camps. do u realize how silly that looks saving face? hopefully the kid loves uconn enough it doesnt effect his impression of the school being a local but my god that is a awful strategy and then worse blinking when the fire got warm.

we are stringing dintino along. when cuse or some 1 decides they want a center and offer, just watch the fireworks.

phillips has bcs offers

holmes got a rutgers offer and maybe another bcs one. all of a sudden we just offer 2 weeks ago(supposedly)

It's only an "awful strategy" if that type of thing matters to a specific recruit. It's about knowing your targets and what buttons need to be pushed - it's not a one size fits all approach. If a recruit is an "I need to feel extra special - you better show me the love" kind of kid, than yeah, the coaches need to play to that but some kids also don't want smoke blown up their on a hourly/daily/weekly basis. They are comfortable in the process and trust who is recruiting them. This is not unique to football.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It's only an "awful strategy" if that type of thing matters to a specific recruit. It's about knowing your targets and what buttons need to be pushed - it's not a one size fits all approach. If a recruit is an "I need to feel extra special - you better show me the love" kind of kid, than yeah, the coaches need to play to that but some kids also don't want smoke blown up their on a hourly/daily/weekly basis. They are comfortable in the process and trust who is recruiting them. This is not unique to football.

ok then, so far its been a bad strategy for outlow and the rest are up for grabs. lets see how that works out for P. lets also now remember he is getting murdered in mass. but hey, we just offered a kid from pa who is picking next week between 5 other schools. i like it......

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You just want to believe that b/c you hate P. But the 4 guys drafted don't say that, and there is no way you can argue they were all top 125 guys 2 years ago. They might have been had RE stayed, but giving him more credit than P is odd. My goodness, RE was yelling at Sio after his dominating performance against WVU. I was a big fan of RE and took a lot of grief for it. But I am NOT giving him credit for getting guys thru their soph year.

I do hate P but I believe it because I believe it.

He developed them all to the point they were major contributors on a conference championship team by their sophomore years - not sure how that doesn't show a lot of development under him but like I said reasonable people can disagree.

Reaction Score
ok then, so far its been a bad strategy for outlow and the rest are up for grabs. lets see how that works out for P. lets also now remember he is getting murdered in mass. but hey, we just offered a kid from pa who is picking next week between 5 other schools. i like it......

... and I'll bet you an Antonio's Grinder that Outlow never actually enrolls @ Chestnut Hill.

Reaction Score
Dan,

I'm not in the room, so i don't know what the strategy is. You are connecting the dots after the fact and saying proof positive. You wanted DB to be HC, then said he mailed it in and quit recruiting, and now is apparently recruiting the hell out of the place.

I am not saying we could not do better than we have, I'm not. But are the guys you listed above the #1 ranked guy you have at each position (and no, they are better than what we have is not the answer)? If so, then you should stand by your opinion - my gut tells me the staff has NONE of them at #1 or they would have them in by now.

For all we know the recruits come here, listen to the constant barrage of negativity and say, , I'm going somewhere where the fans are just a bit positive. Who wants to put their body at risk for these "fans".

The point is we don't know, so suggesting there is a well-defined and publicized strategy and you disagree with it, seems silly. You don't understand the strategy, see no "commits" and argue the strategy has failed. Eventually you will take down a windmill ....

Reaction Score
I do hate P but I believe it because I believe it.

He developed them all to the point they were major contributors on a conference championship team by their sophomore years - not sure how that doesn't show a lot of development under him but like I said reasonable people can disagree.
Are you ware sio moore sai himself coach p improved his game and e credits him For that. His own words. Maybe someone can post the link to the article with dez. He also stated that players that listened to p were Prospering.

Reaction Score
.... and I agree 100% with you - I prefer to judge classes after the fact.

I have a question that I hope doesn't come across as someone trying to be a wise-ass.

That being said, how does a talent evaluator know enough to offer a scholarship to a kid he's only seen on film? I realize that there are certain "can't miss," 5-star level kids that get and accept early offers. But wouldn't the type of kid our coaches can reasonably approach, or have access to, require tire kicking/ test driving type scrutiny? Or is there a part of the process, between film and hands-on evaluation, that I'm missing?

One other thing. Did anyone else wonder about the impact a coaching staff, perceived by many (and sold as such by competing recruiters) as being "lame duck," coupled with the conference situation would have on next year's class? Start early, start late,? Hell, recruiting for 2014 was always going to be a challenge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you ware sio moore sai himself coach p improved his game and e credits him For that. His own words. Maybe someone can post the link to the article with dez. He also stated that players that listened to p were Prospering.

You can save the links. I go by what people do, not what they say. That a college player about to be drafted credits his current coach means nothing. If he didn't the people doing the drafting would question his 'makeup'.

Reaction Score

phillips has bcs offers

This, or the perception of "this," (and it may be totally unfair) is one reason I've soured on PP. I did not hate PP's hire. But, as time passes, it seems he is unwilling or unable to adjust to the present college FB environment. Maybe there was more time when PP last coached in college, or maybe Syracuse still had the "tradition" necessary for selectivity. Maybe he's gun shy, afraid to pull the trigger. Whatever the reasons, what Dan describes above is not very comforting. Late offers, as a reaction to other offers, sounds like the poor bastard who always oversleeps and has to catch a later train, stumbling into work one minute before the work day starts. Really bad for his image and the image of those he represents.

Reaction Score
You can save the links. I go by what people do, not what they say. That a college player about to be drafted credits his current coach means nothing. If he didn't the people doing the drafting would question his 'makeup'.

I've spoken with him at length about this personally and he had both positive and negative things to say about RE and P. But on the whole he really liked both guys and what he said publicly is sincere.

Reaction Score

phillips has bcs offers

I agree 100% "HFD" and regardless, Uconn should offer all the top in state recruits before any other D1 school.

-C.J. Moore no scholarship from us yet

-Brice McCalister no scholarship from us yet

-Connor Dintino (rated #9 Center by rivals) no scholarship from us yet

-Marcus Outlow regardless of where he ends up by signing day had 6 other scholarships before we offered

-Arkeel Newsome had another offer before we offrered

-Alex Huard no offer

Y'all get the point.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I agree 100% "HFD" and regardless, Uconn should offer all the top in state recruits before any other D1 school.

-Marcus Outlow regardless of where he ends up by signing day had 6 other scholarships before we offered

-Alex Huard no offer

Y'all get the point.

UCONN should get the best players it can. From Alaska or Canada or NJ or CT

Reaction Score

-Alex Huard no offer

Y'all get the point.

You are wrong on Newsome... UConn has been all over him since after his freshman year. UConn was his first offer, followed by UMass. Arkeel Newsome ~ "UConn was the first school to offer. I can definitely see myself there."

The roommates from Suffield Academy - McCallister only has FCS offers and CJ Moore only UMass. Not sure we are missing the boat on these... could always be wrong.

I agree 100% on Dintino

Reaction Score
You are wrong on Newsome... UConn has been all over him since after his freshman year. UConn was his first offer, followed by UMass. Arkeel Newsome ~ "UConn was the first school to offer. I can definitely see myself there."

The roommates from Suffield Academy - McCallister only has FCS offers and CJ Moore only UMass. Not sure we are missing the boat on these... could always be wrong.

I agree 100% on Dintino

Your right about Arkeel

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-it's cheaper to recruit kids from the region vs Alaska
- kids from the region sell tickets to local towns, family friends and possibly create new family season tix holders.
- they are a walking breathing uconn advertisement to the rest of the kids at there hs. Most d1 type players are pretty popular hs kids, helps push uconn to prospective students.

Listen if we can land a quality player from Alaska then fine. But at what cost vs landing the best kids from the region at home. If New England was full of d2 kids then yea, buy a condo in Florida and spend the whole time recruiting down there. But it's not. New England is on verge of being a 20 a year type honey hole for recruits. As time goes on it will rise more with ct and am both making progress the past decade really. That ignores the explosion of football in NYC, and the reemergence of prep/post school ball in the region also. About15 prep/post schools have come to life recently to go along with the fball burst. The region is now stocked enough where its a value to uconn.

A great example is using other sports. I remember kids going to watch bball games because of Craig. I remember family taking a bus full to storrs to see Matty pitch. I remember reading about all the locals going to from Brookfield to see lutrus and he was a home town hero for a bit. Local kids sell. End of story.

Ct hs football is a mess. All sports really. From the 50pt rule to the shot lock which I think is even worse. But a chance is slowly developing where better levels of play are obvious. Uconn is fueling it. A lot more can and hopefully will be done. It starts with not making crapy decisions. Moving the ship games to ccsu qualifies towards that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom