Recruit Signing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruit Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you guys have any idea how valueable a UCONN scholarship offer is right now? Wait - never mind clearly not.

Apparently people around here want us to be throwing UCONN full ride athletic scholarships around like $5 dollar chips at the Atlantic City Taj Mahal.

Nope. Ain't gonna happen folks. And all the players that come to UCONN camps, even if they don't get the winning lottery number, they all know that they're on film - and it's gonna get seen by people that matter.

Negative nancy's make me want kick holes in walls.

81 days till kickoff.

If you're talking monetary value you're right. Tuition costs are skyrocketing.

If you're talking football value, it's the lowest since the 90's. That's just the reality of where we landed in this dogsh!t pile of conference realignment.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My guess is that the coaching staff is going quality over quantity in the early going. Problem is is that the quality is not 100% sold on this coaching staff being here in 2014. If UConn has another 5-7 season, we can see some sweeping changes and, therefore, I'm not surprised that many kids are taking the wait-and-see approach with us. If we can beat Maryland and/or Michigan early on, it could signal a beginning of some quality kids being sold that our program is legit and here to stay despite our AAC affiliation.

Reaction Score
If you're talking football value, it's the lowest since the 90's. That's just the reality of where we landed in this dogsh!t pile of conference realignment.

We arguably just reeled in our best recruiting class to date in 2013. I guess Lamelle, Boyle, Lagow and Schafenacker think your opinion is dogsh!t. We now have a track record of sending players to the NFL and all of our games will be on ESPN, we couldn't say that in 2004.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where can you find residential property for $112.70 per sqft? I thought moving to Reno was a good deal but we are at about $140.

Eastern Connecticut. It was 3,400 at the time of purchase. The finished basement is the extra 1,700.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We complain that PP does not go after enough high caliber recruits. Then, in and admittedly shallow year for recruits, we complain that he is too patient.

Welcome to the Boneyard.

Silly post.

C

Chief00

I've never heard anyone say we wait until after camp to sign recruits, and considering HFD reports we currently have over 100 offers extended I'd say it's safe to say whoever told you that is full of it. I've never heard of a coach offering a scholarship without the intention of accepting a possible commitment.
Coach P pushed that evaluate in camp BS. I am in agreement thus far recruiting has been a failure for 2014, that's what I believe to be the truth.

Reaction Score
Coach P pushed that evaluate in camp BS. I am in agreement thus far recruiting has been a failure for 2014, that's what I believe to be the truth.

In agreement with who?

Reaction Score
We arguably just reeled in our best recruiting class to date in 2013. I guess Lamelle, Boyle, Lagow and Schafenacker think your opinion is dogsh!t. We now have a track record of sending players to the NFL and all of our games will be on ESPN, we couldn't say that in 2004.

That's a pretty big leap from what I said to infer that the players in this class suck.

If you, Spackler, and the other dreamers want to believe that we're on equal recruiting footing with Cuse, BC, and RU then by all means have at it. All those kids that P himself said bring up the conference thing must not really happen.

Reaction Score
For some reason they didn't go after Connecticut kids early, those would have been the logical early commits. Drove HfD crazy. Now with camp season underway there is no excuse not to push for June-July commits.

Driving HFD crazy is only a one-zone fare. If that.

Reaction Score
Do you guys have any idea how valueable a UCONN scholarship offer is right now? Wait - never mind clearly not.

Apparently people around here want us to be throwing UCONN full ride athletic scholarships around like $5 dollar chips at the Atlantic City Taj Mahal.

Nope. Ain't gonna happen folks. And all the players that come to UCONN camps, even if they don't get the winning lottery number, they all know that they're on film - and it's gonna get seen by people that matter.

Negative nancy's make me want kick holes in walls.

81 days till kickoff.
Well, if the kid is from Connecticut we don't really care how good he is. Zip codes baby!

Reaction Score
What worries me is the longer this goes without an athlete expressing an interest, what we reel in with the UConn bait is left-overs. What a WVU fan once "suggested " to me is when UConn picks up most of its interested candidates Nov-Jan., its because there were few BCS choices that may be perceived better, left.

If an athlete was really interested in UConn above others, I don't think they'd wait for a camp to express that interest........doesn't mean they will sign, as verbals are only verbals. That being said, my fingures will be chewed to the knuckles if there isn't a nibble early after camp opportunities at Uconn end.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This thread reminds of that ESPN commercial that I thought was funny:

"It's June and P doesn't have any recruits yet"

"Is that bad?"

"It's not good!"

Reaction Score
That's a pretty big leap from what I said to infer that the players in this class suck.

If you, Spackler, and the other dreamers want to believe that we're on equal recruiting footing with Cuse, BC, and RU then by all means have at it. All those kids that P himself said bring up the conference thing must not really happen.
The fact we are getting these guys despite the conference shows how good p is as a recruiter. Do not worry we will have a class this year

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The fact we are getting these guys despite the conference shows how good p is as a recruiter. Do not worry we will have a class this year

Um what guys?

Reaction Score
Um what guys?
Referring to last years class. They knew what was going down and stuck with us. They want to be huskies. They see the development an the nfl training the school provides. Thwy see the comraderey the classes have together We are going to have a strong but small class this year.
There were a few uconn report articles that said uconn was showing Interest in me and they want to see me I. Camp. Type responses. We are all very anxious to get the first one. They are only verbals but Who is it going to be? What position. ? We are only talking about a 12 pack this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Referring to last years class. They knew what was going down and stuck with us. They want to be huskies. They see the development an the nfl training the school provides. Thwy see the comraderey the classes have together We are going to have a strong but small class this year.
There were a few uconn report articles that said uconn was showing Interest in me and they want to see me I. Camp. Type responses. We are all very anxious to get the first one. They are only verbals but Who is it going to be? What position. ? We are only talking about a 12 pack this year.

A: There is no way they sign a 12 player class
B: All the NFL picks were recruited and developed by the prior staff.

This coach was hired for his recruiting prowess and as of today that's laughable.

A lot of very good players have verballed and we have none. That's a huge red flag some are trying to ignore.

Reaction Score
wasn't too long ago, at all, that the angst that the ninnies have around here, was happening in October, November, December.......and it was an absolute embarrassing media freaking circus that we actually were interested and had return interest from a single highly rated player .now the angst is happening in june,and the players coming in to camps - fwiw - on a message board, are a much different level than the players coming in a few years ago.

Just one little way to show that yes indeed - progress.

None of it means jack though, in reality, we're 10-14 in the past two seasons, and we need to change that. Our offensive line, and ability to block with 10 guys on offense - is the key to this season, and none of them are new recruits, and neither are their backups.

Our recruiting class is small this year, the focus, I think, is clearly elsewhere - they'll get their players for this class, but they know they need to focus on coaching, and winning.

Reaction Score
A: There is no way they sign a 12 player class
B: All the NFL picks were recruited and developed by the prior staff.

This coach was hired for his recruiting prowess and as of today that's laughable.

A lot of very good players have verballed and we have none. That's a huge red flag some are trying to ignore.
Laughable. Haha. Three players playing in the big 33. Lol. If you are referring to late verbals take a look at Duncan's list of first verbals. You are laughable.

Want to bet we get a verbal by July first. Loser is banned from board for July!

Reaction Score
Since PP coached these NFL draftees the last two years, I would say he had as much if not more responsibility in the development of these players. Also they all noted that PP played a huge part in helping them prepare for the NFL.

Reaction Score
and to beat a dead horse

2012 Obie M. 6-14-11
last year only Noel and T Hopkins were early by mid June

APA

Reaction Score
First verbals;
2006 Poles 6-20-05
2007 Teggart 6-29-06
2008 1 before July, Eric K?
2010 Smallwood 7-1-09
2011 Nebrich 6-6-10

You cant fail before you even start. Lets see who we get before we give out grades.
According to Scout, these are the first verbals for the last 8 years:

2006 Hicks 2/1/05
2007 Nixon 1/24/06
2008 Tr. Williams 2/15/07
2009 Osiecki 3/1/08 (4 by the end of May that year)
2010 Smallwood 7/1/09
2011 Nebrich 6/6/10
2012 Samra 5/20/11
2013 Thomas 2/25/12

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since PP coached these NFL draftees the last two years, I would say he had as much if not more responsibility in the development of these players. Also they all noted that PP played a huge part in helping them prepare for the NFL.

What were they going to do, not give him credit? Reasonable people can disagree on this piece but each of those players were very good before this staff set foot on campus.

Reaction Score
According to Scout, these are the first verbals for the last 8 years:

2006 Hicks 2/1/05
2007 Nixon 1/24/06
2008 Tr. Williams 2/15/07
2009 Osiecki 3/1/08 (4 by the end of May that year)
2010 Smallwood 7/1/09
2011 Nebrich 6/6/10
2012 Samra 5/20/11
2013 Thomas 2/25/12

FWIW... Don't think Scout has the right data for Mike Hicks. Mike committed @ end of June 2004. Mike was a RS in 2005 so he couldn't be class of 2006 and I think that 2/1/05 might be NLI Day.

Also both Nixon (Bridgeton) and Williams (Canterbury) committed but had to do PG years?

Osiecki and Thomas committed immediately after Junior Day events - something that didn't happen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom