Recruit Signing | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recruit Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
here is a great example of whats going on.

recruit named klock you can all look up. seems to be a solid regional d1 prospect from pa. over the past 4 months all the ususal teams offered. he then took tours. he went to cuse, bc and temples and rutgers....he is making his decision within a week. a couple days ago we decide to offer.

1) were way late to the party, way late
2) his hs is one that we should have a good connect in and have a yearly grasp on who to watch. how did we not offer him earlier?
3)maybe he didn't reach out to us? a lot of kids don't. were not in a good position right now. but we need to reach out to all kids and prove ourselves by showing pf vids and stuff. how did we let this kid get under the radar so much from us but not everyone else on the east coast? not like he has a grades issue or anything.

were talking about a good prospect that comes from a area where uconn has some pull and connections and yet we were late to the party. way late. how can we let these types of things happen over and over again? its like the ol from jersey and so many more. there are fundamental things wrong with this program much deeper than the HC who is also wrong.....when i say clean house, im talking about the janitor up.

ALSO the first commit dates trying to be pushed here are funny. you guys will go to any depth to try to defend P. lmfao we have never got a commit before summer. what a crock of poop. you guys are literally trying to convince yourselves and each other that everything is just magically going to be ok by making up things to help warde and p look like things are ok. maybe thats easier for u guys to handle then listen to me, but trust me its laughable and its the reason we are where we are today.

Today:
125 offers out
45 have verbals to other schools
30 have publically not listed or are not considering us
of the 55 left, a large % of them are southern recruits who have not shown anything public that we are in it. still just unknown
most of our new england offers have gone elsewhere.
most ny, nj and pa offers have no interest.

we have 2 ct rbs begging for offers who both have bcs offers from elsewhere. we have a 3* ol begging for a offer at a position of need that we have not offered and he will be camping elsewhere now. we have a ct qb who we only offered becuase temple did camping at b12 and b10 schools now. we have 3 other ct qbs who are all borderline looking around seeing where they stand. we have a qb up in mass from a hs we should be friends with, who has other bcs offeres but not one from us. btw he may be a dual sport player.

just a mess

we cant even get a verbal from sylva, bryan or fuchs. unreal

Reaction Score
A: There is no way they sign a 12 player class
B: All the NFL picks were recruited and developed by the prior staff.

This coach was hired for his recruiting prowess and as of today that's laughable.

A lot of very good players have verballed and we have none. That's a huge red flag some are trying to ignore.

When Edsall was here, he was a "poor recruiter" but a great "player developer." Now that P is here, he gets zero credit for player development and it was all Edsall's recruiting.

The facts change depending on who you want to blame.

Reaction Score
here is a great example of whats going on.

recruit named klock you can all look up. seems to be a solid regional d1 prospect from pa. over the past 4 months all the ususal teams offered. he then took tours. he went to cuse, bc and temples and rutgers....he is making his decision within a week. a couple days ago we decide to offer.

1) were way late to the party, way late
2) his hs is one that we should have a good connect in and have a yearly grasp on who to watch. how did we not offer him earlier?
3)maybe he didn't reach out to us? a lot of kids don't. were not in a good position right now. but we need to reach out to all kids and prove ourselves by showing pf vids and stuff. how did we let this kid get under the radar so much from us but not everyone else on the east coast? not like he has a grades issue or anything.

were talking about a good prospect that comes from a area where uconn has some pull and connections and yet we were late to the party. way late. how can we let these types of things happen over and over again? its like the ol from jersey and so many more. there are fundamental things wrong with this program much deeper than the HC who is also wrong.....when i say clean house, im talking about the janitor up.

ALSO the first commit dates trying to be pushed here are funny. you guys will go to any depth to try to defend P. lmfao we have never got a commit before summer. what a crock of poop. you guys are literally trying to convince yourselves and each other that everything is just magically going to be ok by making up things to help warde and p look like things are ok. maybe thats easier for u guys to handle then listen to me, but trust me its laughable and its the reason we are where we are today.

Today:
125 offers out
45 have verbals to other schools
30 have publically not listed or are not considering us
of the 55 left, a large % of them are southern recruits who have not shown anything public that we are in it. still just unknown
most of our new england offers have gone elsewhere.
most ny, nj and pa offers have no interest.

we have 2 ct rbs begging for offers who both have bcs offers from elsewhere. we have a 3* ol begging for a offer at a position of need that we have not offered and he will be camping elsewhere now. we have a ct qb who we only offered becuase temple did camping at b12 and b10 schools now. we have 3 other ct qbs who are all borderline looking around seeing where they stand. we have a qb up in mass from a hs we should be friends with, who has other bcs offeres but not one from us. btw he may be a dual sport player.

just a mess

we cant even get a verbal from sylva, bryan or fuchs. unreal

Funny - that the information on a Trey Klock, from Hummelstown, PA, that is available on rivals.com, to anyone with a working internet link, and not a paying subscriber, seems to suggest that eveyrthing you're writing is wrong. certainly doesn't seem that hank hughes has lost this kid under the radar. I honestly have no idea what your experience is in reality when it comes to intercollegiate athletics Dan, and you know I like you, but seriously man - you got to get yourself under control.

What possible good comes from writing stuff like this? Just ask yourself that once in a while - for the rest of us.

John Battle
UConnReport.com

Three-star tight end Trey Klock of Hummelstown (Pa.) Lower Dauphin has had a productive off-season, as several offers have come his way. His most recent came earlier this week from UConn, who hopes to get him on campus in the coming weeks as the big junior closes in on making a final decision.

"The UConn offer is one that I've been excited about for a while," said Klock. "I've talked with Coach Hughes a few times and they've said how impressed they were for a while so it was great to finally get the call that I had been offered."

Klock has had an opportunity to gather some information on the Huskies from a Class of 2013 recruit.

"I honestly don't know too much about the university, but I would love to learn more about it," he said. "I need to get online and do some research and talk to some people about it. I've talked with UConn signee Junior Joseph before, so I'll probably get in contact with him soon."

The big tight end has interacted with Coach Hughes for several months, and also had a chance to see him in action.

"I've seen Hughes coach twice now at the Lauren's First and Goal at Lafayette College and I like his style," said Klock, who also has offers from Boston College, Rutgers, Syracuse, Western Michigan and Bucknell.

Klock has mentioned in recent interviews that he may be close to making a final decision, so is that still true, and will he have time to visit UConn first?

"Although I plan on making my decision in a few weeks, I would still like to possibly plan a visit," said Klock, who plans to set a decision date in the coming days.

While a visit to UConn may still be in the works, Klock does have a visit planned to Georgia Tech on June 11th.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Funny - that the information on a Trey Klock, from Hummelstown, PA, that is available on , to anyone with a working internet link, and not a paying subscriber, seems to suggest that eveyrthing you're writing is wrong. certainly doesn't seem that hank hughes has lost this kid under the radar. I honestly have no idea what your experience is in reality when it comes to intercollegiate athletics Dan, and you know I like you, but seriously man - you got to get yourself under control.

What possible good comes from writing stuff like this? Just ask yourself that once in a while - for the rest of us.

John Battle
UConnReport.com

Three-star tight end Trey Klock of Hummelstown (Pa.) Lower Dauphin has had a productive off-season, as several offers have come his way. His most recent came earlier this week from UConn, who hopes to get him on campus in the coming weeks as the big junior closes in on making a final decision.

"The UConn offer is one that I've been excited about for a while," said Klock. "I've talked with Coach Hughes a few times and they've said how impressed they were for a while so it was great to finally get the call that I had been offered."

Klock has had an opportunity to gather some information on the Huskies from a Class of 2013 recruit.

"I honestly don't know too much about the university, but I would love to learn more about it," he said. "I need to get online and do some research and talk to some people about it. I've talked with UConn signee Junior Joseph before, so I'll probably get in contact with him soon."

The big tight end has interacted with Coach Hughes for several months, and also had a chance to see him in action.

"I've seen Hughes coach twice now at the Lauren's First and Goal at Lafayette College and I like his style," said Klock, who also has offers from Boston College, Rutgers, Syracuse, Western Michigan and Bucknell.

Klock has mentioned in recent interviews that he may be close to making a final decision, so is that still true, and will he have time to visit UConn first?

"Although I plan on making my decision in a few weeks, I would still like to possibly plan a visit," said Klock, who plans to set a decision date in the coming days.

While a visit to UConn may still be in the works, Klock does have a visit planned to Georgia Tech on June 11th.

carl with all due respect, you just confirmed everything i said

uconn offer-june 4th
gtech offer-late may, he visited early may and now recently
announces a top 5 with no uconn(bc the favorite, gt, cuse, temple and ruty also in it)
cuse and rutgers visits mid may
cuse offers early may
temple offer late april
rutgers visit late april
bc visit mid april
rutgers offer early april
bc visit and offer early april
fall 12 pitt, psu and rutgers visits

in what u just posted here it says he knows almost nothing about uconn and needs to internet search about us. thats embarassing. we should have a 10 minute dvd that pumps us the best way possible that every hs prospect should get in the mail. we don't. when he commits to bc next week its ok. p only needs 12 commtis and we have never got one before august and yadayadayada with the excuse from ppl here....

listen i would love to land him, but come on with this late to the game strategy....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When Edsall was here, he was a "poor recruiter" but a great "player developer." Now that P is here, he gets zero credit for player development and it was all Edsall's recruiting.

The facts change depending on who you want to blame.

No Edsall gets credit for what Edsall did. P will get credit or blame when we see how his players turn out.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of the frustration with 2014 is based in part on how structurally different recruiting is now. Recruiting is different, far different today, than it was in 2006. Texas changed things, for everybody. 10 years ago you didn't see early commits. But every year since, more and more are verballing before the summer.

It is all about early commitments. The recruiting game is won and lost long before the summer heat sets in. Every team has changed how they recruit in the past five years. Junior days are hugely important, locking kids down early is the name of the game. Whether Pasqualoni missed the memo on all of this., or discounts it, I don't know. Is there a chance for a great recruiting class? Definitely. Would I rather be assured of a great recruiting class sitting here in mid-June? Even more definitely.

As others have pointed out, 2013, with Lagow, boyle, QB U, schafenacker, et al, that looks to be a class that we as fans have a lot to look forward to. We even have the enigma of some recruits like Kivon Taylor (the next Teddy B?, Denard R. heck why not?), and then the local kid under the radar javelin thrower who eschewed the recruit circuit.

Right now, we have none of that to banter about. Buzz is good for a program. The next few weeks will be huge. Let's hope AN is the first signing. Then build, build, build. Commit after commit. Get the kids in prep/juco to go from soft verbal, to hell yeah, I'm coming. Make UCONN a place that recruits want desperately to go to, not some fallback, dodgeball leftover pick.

Reaction Score
For the record folks - there was a very good prospect last february, that committed on the spot, early on, with an offer, and then the recruiting flood gates opened wide for him. Ended up with serious recruitment from dozens of 1A schools with lots of name recognition, and ended up at Clemson.

Isn't it possible that our staff may have learned an important lesson in that? The lesson that people are actually watching what we do like vultures? the lazy recruiters in the world that swoop in on other people's fresh meat?

Ogundeko committed in february 2012. I think our staff may have learned a lesson about offering players formal scholarships at junior day, and most likely are going about their sales business in a different way now, when on the path to the closing.

That's just me being crazy I guess though.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ogundecko:
1) came to our jr day as his first college experience. p did a great job sniffing him out. earlier that week he sent his video out to staffs
2) he saw noel and laray at the time very high and noel verbaled. that influence him and laray to be into it also. ogundecko verbaled not knowing what he had done really.
3) then calls and offers starting pouring in from the video and he quickly dc'd to step back
4) then the kid learned about the internet when it came to recruiting and played it to the last second he could. played everything up. every visit was a lean, every offer was the coolest thing and so on

your not on the ball carl with this. so because a kid turns around and goes elsewhere we shouldn't get early commits. amazing strategy. are u on p's staff????

Reaction Score
Carl, if the staff could have kept Ogundeko, who else who have followed? The staff should be drawn and quarter if they think that getting a jr day commit who is a freaking stud is bad for business. It sucks that he opened it back up, but man what might have been if he stuck, and others took a look at UConn, and said, "whoa, there's excitement there. I want in." That's what we need. Oh, and clock management.

The mindset has to change. Look how quickly kentucky is doing it.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
ogundecko:
1) came to our jr day as his first college experience. p did a great job sniffing him out. earlier that week he sent his video out to staffs
2) he saw noel and laray at the time very high and noel verbaled. that influence him and laray to be into it also. ogundecko verbaled not knowing what he had done really.
3) then calls and offers starting pouring in from the video and he quickly dc'd to step back
4) then the kid learned about the internet when it came to recruiting and played it to the last second he could. played everything up. every visit was a lean, every offer was the coolest thing and so on

your not on the ball carl with this. so because a kid turns around and goes elsewhere we shouldn't get early commits. amazing strategy. are u on p's staff????

This thread reminds me of the folks on here that pee their pants if we have a bad turnover in the first half or give up a big play.

Judge the class when its done, not now.

Reaction Score
According to the recruiting sites - all of them - our recruiting under P has improved, a lot. None of that matters if we don't start producing on the field. But for someone to criticize the recruiting side sitting from their armchair while eating mac-n-cheese with the "paper" results we have seen over the past 2 years is just so silly.

None of us knows why we have no recruits. I understand the defensive mode the board is in and how it looks everywhere for a glimmer of hope, but there could be one simple answer. If you are local and you want an offer, come in for an in-person review (i.e., camp) - we will make offers to southern kids who cant get to camp based on what we see from them in the spring, but if you are a NE kid, show some interest in us and we'll show some interest in you. Yes, there was a CT RB begging for an offer, but there was no way he was accepting it. He didn't pick BC b/c they offered early; he was NOT picking UConn (and the staff knew it). BTW, he will not end up on Chestnut Hill come LOI day.

I'm frustrated by seeing the results we saw on the field for 2 years, but I clearly am ata loss to understand the shots at the recuriting results we have seen.

Reaction Score
I wrote that my thoughts and possibility could just be me being crazy. You guys are like flies on .

My thought process isactually more logical thanwhatever thought process could lead to coming to an internet board as a fan of a program, and pissing all over the recruitment of a an actual student athlete to this program, when the information available about the real people, actually involved in the recruitment is completely contrary.

People call me crazy around here. You guys that all wound up about recruiting right now, wouldn't know crazy if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch.

I think you all need to go out and focus some energy on getting laid. it's summertime in the northeast, it's only a short window of time when the ladies are out in bikinis around here. WHich reminds me - what the hell am I doing typing on here.

have a nice day all, sun will be back out soon.

Reaction Score
Carl, if the staff could have kept Ogundeko, who else who have followed? The staff should be drawn and quarter if they think that getting a jr day commit who is a freaking stud is bad for business. It sucks that he opened it back up, but man what might have been if he stuck, and others took a look at UConn, and said, "whoa, there's excitement there. I want in." That's what we need. Oh, and clock management.

The mindset has to change. Look how quickly kentucky is doing it.

probably the same guys who followed him to ND, Cuse, Ole Miss, Florida, AZ State Clemson.

pj

Reaction Score
This thread reminds of that ESPN commercial that I thought was funny:

"It's June and P doesn't have any recruits yet"

"Is that bad?"

"It's not good!"

Eventually the great recruiters will figure it out.

Reaction Score
According to the recruiting sites - all of them - our recruiting under P has improved, a lot.

Honest question......what do you use to validate this? Because I'm bored on lunch, I looked up the last 10 class rankings on Scout. And there is not this unquestioned improvement in recruiting that I keep hearing about. I'll be honest I don't judge classes until they are 3 years removed from signing the letter, so maybe that's it. But most of P's recruits have yet to see significant playing time. Here's what I found according to Scout in terms of our class ranking:

2013 - 60th
2012 - 65th
2011 - 81st
2010 - 69th
2009 - 76th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 53rd
2006 - 66th
2005 - 59th
2004 - 79th
2003 - 82nd

P only really is responsible for the last 2 years. How is that unquestionably an improvement in recruiting?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Honest question......what do you use to validate this? Because I'm bored on lunch, I looked up the last 10 class rankings on Scout. And there is not this unquestioned improvement in recruiting that I keep hearing about. I'll be honest I don't judge classes until they are 3 years removed from signing the letter, so maybe that's it. But most of P's recruits have yet to see significant playing time. Here's what I found according to Scout in terms of our class ranking:

2013 - 60th
2012 - 65th
2011 - 81st
2010 - 69th
2009 - 76th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 53rd
2006 - 66th
2005 - 59th
2004 - 79th
2003 - 82nd

P only really is responsible for the last 2 years. How is that unquestionably an improvement in recruiting?

-the spread of offers has been better then the past. not a huge difference but both years it got better
-the high schools we got commits from were more known for prospects then in the past, we had better connections in power hs's for sure
-ct recruiting was getting way better.
-the stars were not rising much, but the bottom half of classes we used to have a lot of unraked or 2* kids and those were turning into 2/3* mixed rankings with profiles at least filled out.
-there was a uptick in progress. it was a combo of several things. uconns rise in academics, being 10 years old aka playing football when these kids were middle school and older and the bcs bump. there was a combo that bumped us a bit but back to back seasons and p's 90's style have killed that momentum.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

2013 - 60th
2012 - 65th
2011 - 81st
2010 - 69th
2009 - 76th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 53rd
2006 - 66th
2005 - 59th
2004 - 79th
2003 - 82nd

Especially since the Edsall classes well outperformed those rankings - why would we put any stock in the numbers?

Reaction Score
-the spread of offers has been better then the past. not a huge difference but both years it got better
-the high schools we got commits from were more known for prospects then in the past, we had better connections in power hs's for sure
-ct recruiting was getting way better.
-the stars were not rising much, but the bottom half of classes we used to have a lot of unraked or 2* kids and those were turning into 2/3* mixed rankings with profiles at least filled out.
-there was a uptick in progress. it was a combo of several things. uconns rise in academics, being 10 years old aka playing football when these kids were middle school and older and the bcs bump. there was a combo that bumped us a bit but back to back seasons and p's 90's style have killed that momentum.

So in other words, it's all subjective. Like when Spackler says that we have a "different level of player" coming to camp at UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So in other words, it's all subjective. Like when Spackler says that we have a "different level of player" coming to camp at UConn.

Too bad we don't have a camp league they could join.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

u want my 2 cents on that?
half of the camps are more group/team/7v7 type gigs so the different level player is not really true. where carl gets that opinion is that P has gotten more good prospects to camp then edsall did. the reason for that is P is telling these kids to come and earn a offer vs most coaches handing out offers if they already know they are d1 talents. P also seems to be doing more team/group camp then RE did so the argument is pure larger numbers to some extent.

one of the things i have argued for is this camps wise:
1) individual camp day @ uconn
2) team camp day @uconn
3) 7v7 camp day @ uconn(if thats not involved with #2)
4) boston camp @ razor-get together with bc, umass, and all other smaller new england schools and hold a huge camp at the razor. every level bcs to d3. make it a boston weekend of camps
5)nyc camp. something has to be done. i don't know if thats doing one in stamford, at iona, at hofstra or something in the city more. im not sure what, but something more....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Who are you putting in your category of "begging for offers" - I assume Phillips and ?

cooper
phillips
dintino
ruther
holmes(speculation is we did offer recently after rutgers and another did...heard bc maybe)
torey
marchi(we offered only after temple did)

off the top of my head

Reaction Score
No Edsall gets credit for what Edsall did. P will get credit or blame when we see how his players turn out.

So you're saying coaches have no say in player development? You just recruit them and they turn out however? Coaching is nothing but X's and O's?

Reaction Score

2013 - 60th
2012 - 65th
2011 - 81st
2010 - 69th
2009 - 76th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 53rd
2006 - 66th
2005 - 59th
2004 - 79th
2003 - 82nd

Jimmy,
in 2007 we had 6 recruits at 3 stars or better at Scout , in 2013 we had 12 i'm guessing yet the overall rank was lower.

Reaction Score

2013 - 60th
2012 - 65th
2011 - 81st
2010 - 69th
2009 - 76th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 53rd
2006 - 66th
2005 - 59th
2004 - 79th
2003 - 82nd

My point was as to quality of class based on individual rankings of kids in class. Since you seem to like history, here is a list (source: Rivals) of how many kids we recruited above 2 stars, which is ranking any kid gets w/a FBS offer (i.e., equivalent to score you get for signing your SAT).

2013 - 12
2012 - 9
2011 - 8
2010 - 9
2009 - 4
2008 - 3
2007 - 5

And i would go so far as to giving P credit for holding 11 class together. To me, that is progress/improvement. One smarter than me can argue it smacks of star inflation. The irony was that RE either could not recruit or coach kids rated above 2 stars. He could make a 2 star a 4 star, but rarely got a 3 star to 4 star level and watched is 4 stars fall to 1 star level.

I liked what RE did on Saturdays but I will admit to liking more what P is doing on paper to build a program. Again, if I had to choose, give me the lowest rated class and a bowl bid. I see progress on the recruiting trail. I don't lose sleep that we have ZERO "commitments" 27 months before any of them will see the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom