Re: Megan Walker's Twitter Page | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Re: Megan Walker's Twitter Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure about anyone else, but while I would welcome Meagan to the Huskie family, getting bored with the "all Walker, all the time" posts. Would appreciate equal energy going into other recruits-who they are and where they are in the recruiting process.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Oh, and as long as we're mentioning Lieberman awards, just to cap the Bird vs. Diggins: Sue won all of the POY awards in 2002. Diggins won none.

So, her senior season, Sue Bird was, by all accounts, as voted by both media and coaches, the best player in the country her senior year.

Skyler was not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mostly we were splitting hairs about "conversations" vs "sentence". But... if you want to compare apples to apples (PG to PG) (Skylar vs. Sue) and INDIVIDUAL statistics my opening statements are:
  • Skylar scored almost 1000 more points than Sue in college.
  • Skylar had more assist than Sue did in college.
  • Skylar had more steals than Sue did in college.
  • Skylar had more rebounds than Sue did in college.
  • Skylar won the Lieberman award twice, Sue won it once.

What say ye?
Sorry to have to do this BUT

Skyler played 32 more games than Sue did in college. So one can assume she would have higher total numbers. Notice you didn't add in shooting percentages or A/TO ratio. .481%/.448%. 3 pt .459%/.350% and A/TO was 2.11/ 1.50.

AND, Bird won the NLC Pt Guard award 3 (Three) times, not once.

If you are going to use Individual stats, it would be nice to get them correct.

On Edit. Sorry Wally, I didn't read far enough.

Reaction Score
Oh, and as long as we're mentioning Lieberman awards, just to cap the Bird vs. Diggins: Sue won all of the POY awards in 2002. Diggins won none.

So, her senior season, Sue Bird was, by all accounts, as voted by both media and coaches, the best player in the country her senior year.

Skyler was not.
Well I'm willing to bet that Sue Bird didn't have two other women that were anywhere near the level of future Olympians Brittney Griner and Elena Delle Donne during her senior year.

Reaction Score
Did someone really compare Diggins to Sue Bird? If someone asked you to make a list of the top 10 greatest college players of all time, would Diggins make that list? Would she even make the top 25?

Reaction Score
Counting stats are for the, well, they certainly don't favor the birds in this case because:

Skylar: 150 games played
Sue Bird: 118 games played.

Playing just 8 games in your freshman year hurts your career totals.

Assists per game are even at 5.0 but Bird's A:TO ratio is 2.1 while Diggins's is 1.5.

Sue was also a much better shooter:

SB: 48.1%, 45.9% 3-pt
SD: 44.8%, 35.0% 3-pt

(Despite all the practice she got at the line, Diggins also was worse than Bird at free throw line: 89.2% vs. 77.9%)

And Diggins took about 3.6 more shots than Bird per game.

Also, Sue won the Lieberman award three times. :)

I'm not sure these stats explain all that much. They played on very different teams, which really dictated much of the difference in shots taken, percentages, and A/TO ratio. Skylar played on some very good teams with some very good players, but Sue was surrounded by all time greats. I doubt any point guard ever had better teammates. So Sue could shoot less, be in a better position to make assists, take fewer chances on turnovers, etc..

Of course, I think Sue was the far superior player, but I'm not going to try to lean on stats one way or another.

Reaction Score
Did someone really compare Diggins to Sue Bird? If someone asked you to make a list of the top 10 greatest college players of all time, would Diggins make that list? Would she even make the top 25?

I'm A Uconn/Sue Fan--but---Skylar would make the list at ND.

Reaction Score
Well I'm willing to bet that Sue Bird didn't have two other women that were anywhere near the level of future Olympians Brittney Griner and Elena Delle Donne during her senior year.
\\

WHAT???

Wally East

Reaction Score

A player on the level of Britney Griner and EDD. Let me think.

Let me think.

Hmm.

Oh, wait. Yes, of course.

Diana Taurasi.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I'm A Uconn/Sue Fan--but---Skylar would make the list at ND.

All time, every school. So, a list looking like:

Diana, Chamique Holdsclaw, Tamika Catchings, Breanna Stewart, Candace Parker, Maya Moore, Cheryl Miller, Sheryl Swoopes, Katie Smith, and Lisa Leslie.

These 10 just serving as an example, of course :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

No. Actually they did not. Somebody thought it happened and Coco started playing devil's advocate and now we have a bunch of people making the point that Bird was better than Diggins and no one who actually believes Diggins was comparable to or better than Bird.

Fun!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure about anyone else, but while I would welcome Meagan to the Huskie family, getting bored with the "all Walker, all the time" posts. Would appreciate equal energy going into other recruits-who they are and where they are in the recruiting process.

There are none for 2017. Let's face it, this is a HUGE recruit for UCONN as not getting her would mean that UCONN has one top 10 recruit in two years.

Reaction Score
  • Mostly we were splitting hairs about "conversations" vs "sentence". But... if you want to compare apples to apples (PG to PG) (Skylar vs. Sue) and INDIVIDUAL statistics my opening statements are:

What say ye?

Did Skylar win a Championship,all those. Statistic are great but...... that's what say me.

Reaction Score
Mostly we were splitting hairs about "conversations" vs "sentence". But... if you want to compare apples to apples (PG to PG) (Skylar vs. Sue) and INDIVIDUAL statistics my opening statements are:

What say ye?
Sue Bird won the first 3 Lieberman Awards in her last 3 seasons at Uconn. Bird only played 118 games because she had an ACL injury her freshman year. Her record was 114 -4. Skylar played in 25 to 30 games more than Sue did.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sue Bird won the first 3 Lieberman Awards in her last 3 seasons at Uconn. Bird only played 118 games because she had an ACL injury her freshman year. Her record was 114 -4. Skylar played in 25 to 30 games more than Sue did.
All your corrections are noted above.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry to have to do this BUT

Skyler played 32 more games than Sue did in college. So one can assume she would have higher total numbers. Notice you didn't add in shooting percentages or A/TO ratio. .481%/.448%. 3 pt .459%/.350% and A/TO was 2.11/ 1.50.

AND, Bird won the NLC Pt Guard award 3 (Three) times, not once.

If you are going to use Individual stats, it would be nice to get them correct.

On Edit. Sorry Wally, I didn't read far enough.
I was wrong on the Lieberman awards. Sue won the first 3. The shooting numbers & A/TO ratio favor Sue drastically as noted by you and @Wally East.
If you normalize the other numbers to account for the difference of + 32 games for Skylar by (using a per/game average) for points, assists, steals, rebounds would drastically favor Skylar.
To expand on a specific example points:
Total Points: Sue 1378, 2357 : Points/Game: Sue 11.7, Skylar 15.7
Sue would have to average 30 points/game in 32 games to make up the difference in career points between her and Skylar.

To @Wally East point: "And Diggins took about 3.6 more shots than Bird per game." -I'd gladly take that because the efficiency is pretty good >1 Point/shot attempt. But we all know that efficiency was because Skylar knew how to make her way to the charity stripe. :D

Reaction Score
Skylar had to score for ND. Sue didnt but she was the leader those 3 years. Diggins is great player but no NCs. Nneka is MVP but if the Lynx win than what matters more. She did the same thing at Stanford, no NCs.

Reaction Score
Skylar had to score for ND. Sue didnt but she was the leader those 3 years. Diggins is great player but no NCs. Nneka is MVP but if the Lynx win than what matters more. She did the same thing at Stanford, no NCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom