Qadence S. Spotlighted (merged) | The Boneyard

Qadence S. Spotlighted (merged)

Reaction Score
Her movements do remind of Aubrey a lot. I think Aubrey has an advantage in quickness but Q does have a nice shot that will get better as she plays against better competition. As far as her height. I don't know first hand but Fornier (sp) is all of 6'2 and the clip says they are close to the same height. She will be a great addition even if it isn't this coming year.

Reaction Score
I'm not completely sold on "Q" yet as anything more than a complimentary player based on her games I've seen on video...........she clearly is athletic and has a good outside shot but she did not stand out as a wow player unlike some other UConn recruits....... that said, I'll be thrilled if she proves me totally wrong........:)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not completely sold on "Q" yet as anything more than a complimentary player based on her games I've seen on video...........she clearly is athletic and has a good outside shot but she did not stand out as a wow player unlike some other UConn recruits....... that said, I'll be thrilled if she proves me totally wrong........:)
Complimentary player/role player is an essential role at UConn - you can have only so many stars. I define a star player as someone who regularly takes over a game. For example, Lou Lopez Senechal should have been a role player but was forced to be a star (succesfully) by injuries. Ditto Caroline.

Think of the amazing role players UConn has had through the years. All are or were vital to the team without being a star player:
Aubrey
Caroline
Nika
Kiah
Kelly
Etc

If Qadence is an important role player, it will bode well for the team. I would offer the opinion that the recent Dark Years aren’t for lack of stars, it was a lack of role players that could impact the game

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You said: "I'll be thrilled if when she proves me totally wrong." I fixed it for you. ;) I'll bet my turban and cape right now that she will, and soon too. Seeing is believing. Oh, ye of little faith. :confused:

Notice her demeanor........ she's not smiling and grinning, she's all business. She'll be that way on the court.

Reaction Score
Complimentary player/role player is an essential role at UConn - you can have only so many stars. I define a star player as someone who regularly takes over a game. For example, Lou Lopez Senechal should have been a role player but was forced to be a star (succesfully) by injuries. Ditto Caroline.

Think of the amazing role players UConn has had through the years. All are or were vital to the team without being a star player:
Aubrey
Caroline
Nika
Kiah
Kelly
Etc

If Qadence is an important role player, it will bode well for the team. I would offer the opinion that the recent Dark Years aren’t for lack of stars, it was a lack of role players that could impact the game
Yes, the loss of Aubrey a couple of years ago was a much bigger deal than many thought but I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that having an injured Paige likely cost UConn an NC........

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

Aubrey
Caroline
Nika
Kiah
Kelly
Etc

Well said and I completely agree

Reaction Score
You said: "I'll be thrilled if when she proves me totally wrong." I fixed it for you. ;) I'll bet my turban and cape right now that she will, and soon too. Seeing is believing. Oh, ye of little faith. :confused:

Notice her demeanor........ she's not smiling and grinning, she's all business. She'll be that way on the court.
I'm from Missouri (not really)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Aubrey
Caroline
Nika
Kiah
Kelly
Etc

i agree such players are critical. But Paige, Diana, Stewie, Maya are the players that separate a really good team from a championship team.
Most other programs would love to have our “dark years”.

Reaction Score
When we first heard about her, and she was listed as 6'2" everywhere, I thought she looked a little small for that height. But when UConn listed her a 6'0" that didn't seem exactly right either. The puffs make it tricky to get a sense of how tall she really is. One thing that is clear is she's got really long arms, so she may play taller than however tall she may really be.

Personally, I think the future looks bright for her at UConn, and this is only reinforced by Geno's recent remarks. Oh, yeah, and I noticed Geno calls her Q, and I think that's a nice nickname for her. But I don't want to use it until I get a clearer sense that she likes it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Qadence. With a Q. In fact, Geno called her just "Q."

Azzi says she never misses. Consider the source--the great Azzi Fudd, sharpshooter nonpareil.
Sometimes you must take a person's "eye-witness" observations as truth. Azzi who knows a fellow shooter when she sees one (game recognizes game), has gone on record saying........"she never misses."

Even though I've never seen her in person or on TV yet, I can accept the observations of someone who is credible as gospel. I've never seen Niagra Falls or the Northern Lights, but from the observations of other "CREDIBLE" people that have, I believe they exist.
I, therefore, believe that Samuels is a bonified licensed sharpshooter, capable of shooting the lights out on any given opportunity or occasion

ESPN's Shane Lafflin on Samuels - Samuels effortlessly runs the floor. She glides baseline to baseline and is a threat to either sprint for an easy layup at the rim or spots up for the transition triple. Her confidence and effectiveness from deep have really improved over the last year. Her improved shot preparation has helped her in all aspects of her shooting, and she attacks the elbows for pull-up jumpers very well."

Geno said the same thing about Qadence in his media availability presser yesterday around the 9:32 mark. In spite of being from Missouri, I'm convinced Qadence can "score the basketball." ;) I have a strong feeling that we'll be convinced after their 4 game exhibition tour is over. In a word......Samuels is a bucket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Aubrey
Caroline
Nika
Kiah
Kelly
Etc

Nika is a star player. Points isnt the only thing that makes a player a star.

Reaction Score

Aubrey
Caroline
Nika
Kiah
Kelly
Etc

Uh oh!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Some interesting info on her recruitment and she has been the recruit in the shadows, so good to see her get this attention.

Thank you Sir Rocky: I watched a YouTube on this magnificient young lady and her family. She wasn't ready to take Geno's offer, she thought herself not "good enough". Then I watched her play--passes were great, scoring is no a problem. Geno is all I expect from Geno, praise, no promises, but Q know she belongs HERE. So do I. What's not too like! She may end up being a shining star while thinking she is a Utility--and she AIN'T. Thanks again, I had the same thought about Caroline, look who carried the team when everyone was sick, broken, or on the watch list!!

Reaction Score
Charlie....................so am I. ;) I have no doubt that Qadence will prove me right.
Of that---have no doubt, I won't predict, don't want to thwart the BB gods--but her Uconn career is pointing upward.

Reaction Score
i agree such players are critical. But Paige, Diana, Stewie, Maya are the players that separate a really good team from a championship team.
Most other programs would love to have our “dark years”.
Diana, Stewie and Maya all had good role players that were key to winning Championships. We don’t win without them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Diana, Stewie and Maya all had good role players that were key to winning Championships. We don’t win without them.
You don’t get what i said. The role players dont go anywhere without the difference makers. They need each other, but role players are somewhat easier to make up for than number 1 draft picks.

Reaction Score
Nika is a star player. Points isnt the only thing that makes a player a star.
Nika is a star to me. She would be the best player on many teams in the country. But she is not a star like Stewie. Or Paige and Azzi. I think it’s defensible for HuskyNan to say that Nika is an amazing role player. It’s not an insult.

Many threads on the BY seem to devolve into a defense of Nika, even if Nika isn’t the topic of the thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom