Qadence S. Spotlighted (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Qadence S. Spotlighted (merged)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As info, in her career at UConn, Stokes shot .599. That’s pretty good until you consider that almost all of Kiah’s shots were layups. So Kiah missed almost 40% of her layups…:eek:

However, for her career Kiah shot .500 from the arc. She didn’t take a single 3 in her first three years at UConn. But during her senior season, Kiah went crazy, hitting 1 of 2 shots from the arc…..probably to beat the shot clock…;)
Kiah had good hands when it came to rebounding the ball. Unfortunately, she had trouble handling entry passes on the block. :( You seldom saw her post up on the block and get an entry pass. The funny thing is, Kiah averaged 24.5 ppg her senior year at Linn-mar HS in Marion Iowa.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kiah had good hands when it came to rebounding the ball. Unfortunately, she had trouble handling entry passes on the block. :( You seldom saw her post up on the block and get an entry pass.
I think she just padded her rebounding stats by missing 2 or 3 layups in a row, grabbing the rebound over and over and shooting it again. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Stokes was an in the paint physical center. She sat behind Dolson because Dolson was better those years. After Dolson left Geno had Stewart, Tuck and Stokes. Stokes was the best rebounder and shot blocker of the 3 and she was by far the strongest inside. It was her lack of offense that kept her from starting.

Who were the alternatives to Faris? Were they 50% from 3 and able to create their own shots?

I appreciate how good Muhl played last season. She would make an excellent starter if either Bueckers or Fudd were unavailable, as she proved for 3 years. But healthy, Bueckers and Fudd are just too good.

Far too much is being made of starting, like it's some badge of honor and central to player's ego satisfaction. UConn will have 9 players who started their entire lives but who will not start for UConn this season. Are they all going to fall into a depressive funk? UConn is going to have a 7 or 8 player core this year. Any of them could start. Are the 2 or 3 who don't start being "stabbed in the back" as one Muhl defender put it? Or is the "team first" slogan just false advertising?
A fair assessment of this team and of the Dolson teams. Not a popular one, but fair nonetheless. I agree with your observation that Geno has a core group of 7-8 players that he could pick 5 starters from. I suggested that in several posts in the last two weeks. Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are locks. The other two spots are anybody's guess.

There's no way anybody can figure out who Geno will fill those two spots with today (August 15). The first exhibition game is on November 4. We'll have a much better idea of who those other two will be by November 3. Geno might even announce his 5 starters the day before. The consensus is Nika and Aubrey will round out the starting unit, we'll see. The yard is divided on THAT front. :eek:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think she just padded her rebounding stats by missing 2 or 3 layups in a row, grabbing the rebound over and over and shooting it again. :rolleyes:
Kiah (one of my 3 all-time favorite UConn WBB players.. Stewie and Jefferson) has been a consistent double-double performer overseas for the last 8-9 years. Too bad those performances can't seem to transfer to the States and the WNBA. Wow, this is Kiah's 9th year in the league (UConn class of 2015). She turned 30 in March. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A fair assessment of this team and of the Dolson teams. Not a popular one, but fair nonetheless. I agree with your observation that Geno has a core group of 7-8 players that he could pick 5 starters from. I suggested that in several posts in the last two weeks. Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah are locks. The other two spots are anybody's guess.

There's no way anybody can figure out who Geno will fill those two spots with today (August 15). The first exhibition game is on November 4. We'll have a much better idea of who those other two will be by November 3. Geno might even announce his 5 starters the day before. The consensus is Nika and Aubrey will round out the starting unit, we'll see. The yard is divided on THAT front. :eek:

This whole controversy about starting is overblown. For 2 years it's seemed like Geno has had 1 or 2 subs. A problem the media harped on. Now he has a bench and the media is trying to make that a problem.

And the beat goes on.

Reaction Score
Stokes was an in the paint physical center. She sat behind Dolson because Dolson was better those years. After Dolson left Geno had Stewart, Tuck and Stokes. Stokes was the best rebounder and shot blocker of the 3 and she was by far the strongest inside. It was her lack of offense that kept her from starting.

Who were the alternatives to Faris? Were they 50% from 3 and able to create their own shots?

I appreciate how good Muhl played last season. She would make an excellent starter if either Bueckers or Fudd were unavailable, as she proved for 3 years. But healthy, Bueckers and Fudd are just too good.

Far too much is being made of starting, like it's some badge of honor and central to player's ego satisfaction. UConn will have 9 players who started their entire lives but who will not start for UConn this season. Are they all going to fall into a depressive funk? UConn is going to have a 7 or 8 player core this year. Any of them could start. Are the 2 or 3 who don't start being "stabbed in the back" as one Muhl defender put it? Or is the "team first" slogan just false advertising?
Well said. In addition, not sure we need to put so much energy into the "Who starts the first game of the year?" discussion. The key is who, based on their performance, starts in the playoffs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kiah (one of my 3 all-time favorite UConn WBB players.. Stewie and Jefferson) has been a consistent double-double performer overseas for the last 8-9 years. Too bad those performances can't seem to transfer to the States and the WNBA. Wow, this is Kiah's 9th year in the league (UConn class of 2015). She turned 30 in March. :rolleyes:
You sure about that? See the next post

81E2E810-4EDB-47C4-9EE4-A4D538281EFC.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Aces guard Kelsey Plum calls Stokes, 30, one of the best teammates she’s ever played with. Las Vegas assistant coach Natalie Nakase says Stokes is an invaluable presence and the most selfless player on the team. As a member of a starting five flanked by high-producing All-Stars, Stokes has been a star in her role for the Aces as a defensive anchor willing to do whatever the team needs. It’s a role that isn’t flashy, and often overlooked, but Stokes has embraced it and has become an integral piece of a Las Vegas franchise looking to repeat as champions.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You sure about that? See the next post

View attachment 90673
I'm referring to double-digit scoring on a regular basis. In some games, she only takes 1-2 shots, sometimes not scoring at all. I check the Aces box score after every game. I'd be a happy soul if Kiah could average double figures in scoring. I've been a Kiah fan since she was a freshman.

From 2013: Stokes, who has taken her time developing into the post the coaches thought she’d be, scored a career-high 19 points, her fourth straight double-digit game (St. Bonaventure). She had never had two straight in her car. “I feel like I am taking baby steps to get better,” Stokes said. “The things you do today may pay off down the road tomorrow, next week, next month. But I can still hear Coach yelling to run down the floor in my head. I am starting to do it almost instinctually now. It’s starting to become a habit.”

I try to watch all of their games. In fact, they play the Liberty tonight, I'll be watching. I followed and rooted for her when she was with the Liberty, and still do now that she's in Las Vegas. I'm elated that she's doing well, and getting a chance to start due to the injury to Candace Parker. Go Kiah!! :D BTW........thanks for the article.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm referring to double-digit scoring on a regular basis. In some games, she only takes 1-2 shots, sometimes not scoring at all. I check the Aces box score after every game. I'd be a happy soul if Kiah could average double figures in scoring. I've been a Kiah fan since she was a freshman.

I try to watch all of their games. In fact, they play the Liberty tonight, I'll be watching. I followed and rooted for her when she was with the Liberty, and still do now that she's in Las Vegas. Go Kiah!! :D BTW........thanks for the article.
From the article I linked

Stokes has been a star in her role for the Aces as a defensive anchor willing to do whatever the team needs. It’s a role that isn’t flashy, and often overlooked, but Stokes has embraced it and has become an integral piece of a Las Vegas franchise looking to repeat as champions

With Kelsey Plum, A’ja Wilson, Jackie Young, and Chelsea Grey on the team, why does Kiah need to score in double figures? People get too hung up on scoring

84EBB4B9-2B92-40AD-88DE-7298DC9980E5.jpeg

Carnac

Reaction Score
From the article I linked

Stokes has been a star in her role for the Aces as a defensive anchor willing to do whatever the team needs. It’s a role that isn’t flashy, and often overlooked, but Stokes has embraced it and has become an integral piece of a Las Vegas franchise looking to repeat as champions

With Kelsey Plum, A’ja Wilson, Jackie Young, and Chelsea Grey on the team, why does Kiah need to score in double figures? People get too hung up on scoring

View attachment 90674
She doesn't. I made the same point in reference to a poster's comment regarding Nika last week and her lack of scoring. We have no beef here. Her teammates and her coach ALL recognize her value to the team and will tell anyone who will listen that Kiah is an integral part of their success.

I remember when the Liberty cut her, and the Aces picked her up immediately. They knew Kiah's worth. The Aces don't need her to score, just be the stalwart on defense that she is. That being said, her coach would appreciate some offensive production from her from time to time.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . .

I think of Iowa in these terms. Sure, Caitlin and Czinano carried the scoring load and the stat sheet showed it. But they were able to rely on three glue players to hold everything together and help them get their chances. Martin Warnock and Marshall were the real “law firm” on Iowa. Interesting how few announcers caught in to it. Of the three it’s hard to choose who was most important. But I’m inclined to lean toward Marshall because she had this mischievous unpredictable side to her that would come out on defense. Also worth noting about those three (and especially Marshall): they were very kind to fallen opponents, helping them up, conciliating players who got upset about calls, etc. That speaks to the team culture Lisa Bluder encouraged over there.
I like what you said about Iowa. I'll build on that for one point. There are folks who are talking only about the loss of Czinano, and that Stuelke may be a very good replacement. I think the loss of Warnock, coupled with Czinano, is huge. As you said, she's a glue player, and she played much bigger than her size. Replacing Czinano is tough, replacing Czinano AND Warnock will be even tougher.

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes was the AAC DPOY her senior year. But with the exception of senior day, once when Geno wanted to send a message to Stewie and 2 other times when players were banged up (4 times in all), Kiah came off the bench as UConn’s 6th man.

You are confusing Kiah Stokes with Saniya, who started her sophomore year for 2 games and was replaced by Kia Nurse after the Stanford game.
After this game (Stanford) I think Saniya didn't get the playing time she deserved, own opinion

Reaction Score
I’d be ecstatic to have her (Kiah) or Dolson on our current roster!
Imagine having Kiah or Dolson to pair with Aaliyah!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Kiah is also one of my all-time favorites. Seems like she sat out a WNBA year for personal reasons a few years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m glad to see that some of Nika’s contributions have started show up on the stat sheet.
So many of them don't, though. Nika is a disruptor. She is like a wrecking ball to the other teams game planning. Yeah, the steels portion absolutely shows up on the stat sheet, but a lot of what she does never well. Remember Nika being called "gnat-like"? That is a great descriptor. They say gnats can drive wildebeests insane, causing them to run over cliffs or even just run till they drop from exhaustion. That's Nika. She's in your face and annoying every minute you have the ball. I love that part of her game, but you're right, it does not show up on the stat sheet.

Reaction Score
Please allow me to get us back on track....so hey, Qadence put up 14 points in Zagreb yesterday!!
Finally got to watch it. Qadence has a smooth shot and a quick release. She’s not afraid to drive the lane and she rebounds well. Now admittedly the camera angle wasn’t great, but I’d say she looks to be at least as tall as Aubrey. That puts her squarely in the 6’0” — 6’2” range and probably leaning toward the upper end.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
So many of them don't, though. Nika is a disruptor. She is like a wrecking ball to the other teams game planning. Yeah, the steels portion absolutely shows up on the stat sheet, but a lot of what she does never well. Remember Nika being called "gnat-like"? That is a great descriptor. They say gnats can drive wildebeests insane, causing them to run over cliffs or even just run till they drop from exhaustion. That's Nika. She's in your face and annoying every minute you have the ball. I love that part of her game, but you're right, it does not show up on the stat sheet.
You're saying gnats gnaw at the gnu?

I like it when, after gnatting for a while, the ball comes loose and Nika dives for it. It fires up the team and the crowd.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Finally got to watch it. Qadence has a smooth shot and a quick release. She’s not afraid to drive the lane and she rebounds well. Now admittedly the camera angle wasn’t great, but I’d say she looks to be at least as tall as Aubrey. That puts her squarely in the 6’0” — 6’2” range and probably leaning toward the upper end.
I look forward to seeing her length and quickness applied in the press.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You're saying gnats gnaw at the gnu?

I like it when, after gnatting for a while, the ball comes loose and Nika dives for it. It fires up the team and the crowd.
Gnu? What's gnu?

(Ans: Nothing much what's gnu with you?)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well said. In addition, not sure we need to put so much energy into the "Who starts the first game of the year?" discussion. The key is who, based on their performance, starts in the playoffs.
Or…….we could try to predict who will be the top 5 BADDASS players statistically over the course of the season. That would be more fun than picking potential starters. :cool:

Reaction Score
Or…….we could try to predict who will be the top 5 BADDASS players statistically over the course of the season. That would be more fun than picking potential starters. :cool:
I think that’s really about guessing the other two besides Paige Azzi and Aaliyah. Will it be freshmen? Will Ice be one of them? Or Caroline and Aubrey? Will Ayanna discover the beast within?

On this last possibility, I rewatched the game against Iowa last night (because the Croatia game wasn’t available yet) and was struck by how well Ayanna did against Czinano in a few exchanges. I suspect Monica didn’t expect her to be that strong.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think that’s really about guessing the other two besides Paige Azzi and Aaliyah. Will it be freshmen? Will Ice be one of them? Or Caroline and Aubrey? Will Ayanna discover the beast within?

On this last possibility, I rewatched the game against Iowa last night (because the Croatia game wasn’t available yet) and was struck by how well Ayanna did against Czinano in a few exchanges. I suspect Monica didn’t expect her to be that strong.
One thing we must acknowledge is that we have several other potential BADDASSES on this team besides the obvious ones you mentioned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom