Qadence S. Spotlighted (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Qadence S. Spotlighted (merged)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Diana, Stewie and Maya all had good role players that were key to winning Championships. We don’t win without them.
Teams are comprised of stars and role players just as teams are comprised of starters and reserves. Most teams have room for and welcome both.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was going to say something similar, but I'm afraid of Nan :) Call me chicken.
Let me clarify - when I say “role player” I don’t mean to diminish or demean that player in any way. And, no, @Blond D. , I’m not talking about scoring.

On role players, Kelly Faris could impact a game without having her efforts show much of anything in the box score. She defended, deflected passes, set screens, and simply impacted the game in ways that that made it possible for the stars to dominate. She was a facilitator, a term that could be used rather than role player. As a UConn fan, I wouldn’t trade Kelly for anyone, she was that vital to the team.

Nika can also impact a game and is a vital component of the team. Statistical contributions aside, what Nika brings in intensity, focus, and leadership make her invaluable. Nika also does what she does best well - defend, assist, and, well, facilitate. She’s this team’s Kelly and I wouldn’t trade her for anyone because she meshes so seamlessly with the team’s stars. THAT is an important aspect, too.

But neither Kelly nor Nika can take over a game like Paige, Aaliyah, or Azzi. It’s not a knock on them but it is just my opinion so feel free to disagree (without fear of retribution from me @Skeets)

Reaction Score
Nika can also impact a game and is a vital component of the team. Statistical contributions aside, what Nika brings in intensity, focus, and leadership make her invaluable.
I’m glad to see that some of Nika’s contributions have started show up on the stat sheet. She was always vital to setting the tone of the team and upsetting the tone of the other team. Now she’s also found more ways to impact games. I couldn’t be happier with the way she plays.

I was also relieved to hear Geno say that KK would take some of the energy burden off Nika. Last season, Geno said at one point that in terms of minutes Nika played like ten more games than any of the guards she faced. Finding a way to give her a break is important.

Reaction Score
I'm not completely sold on "Q" yet as anything more than a complimentary player based on her games I've seen on video...........she clearly is athletic and has a good outside shot but she did not stand out as a wow player unlike some other UConn recruits....... that said, I'll be thrilled if she proves me totally wrong........:)
New Jersey has some tough to convince people. Missouri, are the calmer serene people---Collier!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m glad to see that some of Nika’s contributions have started show up on the stat sheet. She was always vital to setting the tone of the team and upsetting the tone of the other team. Now she’s also found more ways to impact games. I couldn’t be happier with the way she plays.

I was also relieved to hear Geno say that KK would take some of the energy burden off Nika. Last season, Geno said at one point that in terms of minutes Nika played like ten more games than any of the guards she faced. Finding a way to give her a break is important.
Coaches know their team. They know the players that make plays and make a difference when they're on the floor. Sometimes the box score does not tell the real or complete story of a player’s impact or contribution to a game.

We’ve been conditioned to look at box scores and make decisions strictly on the “numbers” we see. A player can do things and be a presence on the court that coaches want, need, and expect that we as fans don’t see or appreciate. From game to game, we have no idea what Geno wants or is trying to achieve on the floor at any given time.

Team (unit) chemistry cannot be assumed or taken for granted. Chemistry (or the lack thereof) is real. Remember when Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KLM) went down with an elbow injury? She was out for approximately 12 games (off the top of my head).

Gabby Williams and Brianna Banks took her place in the starting lineup until she returned. After her return, Stewie was asked in a post-game interview what it meant to have KLM back. She said it was huge because having her out disrupted the chemistry of the starting unit. I never forgot that. Banks and Williams were on the floor, but it wasn’t the s as same. Kiah Stokes starts for the Las Vegas Aces. Her box score numbers will not blow you away. Sometimes she does not score a single point, but they win. Her coach and teammates sing her praises. They know the value she brings to the team when she's on the floor. That value seldom shows up in the box score. The same can be said about Brianna Turner of the Phoenix Mercury.

A starting unit may not consist of the best scorers on the team or even the best players, but the 5 players that (as a unit) play best together. Nika may not burn the nets with a consistent scorer’s touch, but she brings other intangibles to the floor that Geno feels give the starting unit "the best chance to flourish" and be successful. Like that old beer commercial said........"Don't let the smooth taste fool you." :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coaches know their team. They know the players that make plays and make a difference when they're on the floor. Sometimes the box score does not tell the real or complete story of a player’s impact or contribution to a game.

We’ve been conditioned to look at box scores and make decisions strictly on the “numbers” we see. A player can do things and be a presence on the court that coaches want, need, and expect that we as fans don’t see or appreciate. From game to game, we have no idea what Geno wants or is trying to achieve on the floor at any given time.

Team (unit) chemistry cannot be assumed or taken for granted. Chemistry (or the lack thereof) is real. Remember when Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KLM) went down with an elbow injury? She was out for approximately 12 games (off the top of my head).

Gabby Williams and Brianna Banks took her place in the starting lineup until she returned. After her return, Stewie was asked in a post-game interview what it meant to have KLM back. She said it was huge because having her out disrupted the chemistry of the starting unit. I never forgot that. Banks and Williams were on the floor, but it wasn’t the s as same. Kiah Stokes starts for the Las Vegas Aces. Her box score numbers will not blow you away. Sometimes she does not score a single point, but they win. Her coach and teammates sing her praises. They know the value she brings to the team when she's on the floor. That value seldom shows up in the box score. The same can be said about Brianna Turner of the Phoenix Mercury.

A starting unit may not consist of the best scorers on the team or even the best players, but the 5 players that (as a unit) play best together. Nika may not burn the nets with a consistent scorer’s touch, but she brings other intangibles to the floor that Geno feels give the starting unit "the best chance to flourish" and be successful. Like that old beer commercial said........"Don't let the smooth taste fool you." :cool:
You took "the hanging fruit" .( Your highlighted trusims). Nealy all you say is TRUE, and nothing in this life is a guarantee, nothing! For more than 25 year maybe 40--they go so fast--Geno has worked well in HUGE games using 7 or 8 or 9 players often throughout the year--especially in need to win games. I agree, playing time "together" helps to create chemistry- That and you learn more about your limitation playing in games, weak players need game time, to develop, those teams, those that went to Europe created a deeper more effect Chemistry for Uconn.,
Geno, me (no I'm not in his class as a coach), and others I know--don't rely BOX scores to assess his players. The gut, seeing is believing has a lot more to do with who plays and who sits, who the necessary winners are on the floor.
I totally agree on STOKES and those you mentioned. More than a few that played for Geno didn't fill the stat sheet but being on the floor won games. Marie,Conlon is first in that category, Barbara Turner, Nika come to mind easily. (I know Nika's assists record).

Reaction Score
And just to flesh out the thought about Kiah. What the stat sheet may not reflect is that having her in the game closes down parts of the court for the opposing team’s offense. She won’t get any stat for it, but it means the others can play defense knowing that they won’t go Kiah’s way. That’s tangible, not just about emotions. But emotions or morale flow from it. If the rest of the team knows they can count on you to allow them to shine, they approach everything differently.

Barbara Turner was absolutely this kind of player too. She could step up and carry a scoring load on occasion, and especially when it really mattered. But that wasn’t her main contribution across an entire season. Kaleena too. She could shoot the lights out, but maybe wasn’t as quick on D as the others. But what she did counted and her team knew they could count on her.

I think of Iowa in these terms. Sure, Caitlin and Czinano carried the scoring load and the stat sheet showed it. But they were able to rely on three glue players to hold everything together and help them get their chances. Martin Warnock and Marshall were the real “law firm” on Iowa. Interesting how few announcers caught in to it. Of the three it’s hard to choose who was most important. But I’m inclined to lean toward Marshall because she had this mischievous unpredictable side to her that would come out on defense. Also worth noting about those three (and especially Marshall): they were very kind to fallen opponents, helping them up, conciliating players who got upset about calls, etc. That speaks to the team culture Lisa Bluder encouraged over there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have been of the opinion that Q will be the biggest surprise to UCONN fans for the coming season. Maybe not so as much now since she's getting a lot more press, but coming to UCONN in a class of 2 others who are for the most part top 10-15 players, and one foreign player who probably would have been in the top 5 had she been American, Q seemed to be sort of the "other" recruit.

Side note, LOVE the puff balls. Hope she keeps them forever. Loved seeing Christyn on the floor early in her career with her distinctive Heat Miser hair style. No way to miss her no matter where she was on the floor. Andre Jackson was similar on the men's team early on.

Back to Q - I think we know, for the most part, who the "core" players will be - Paige, Nika, Azzi, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Caroline. Most likely Ice and KK are high up in the next group, but of the rest - Ashlynn, Q, Ayanna, Amari, and Ines, who will step up? Who will be 100% healthy? Will Geno have a core 7, or a core 9-10? I think Q has as good a chance as any of them to be in that "top" core tier...

Carnac

Reaction Score
And just to flesh out the thought about Kiah. What the stat sheet may not reflect is that having her in the game closes down parts of the court for the opposing team’s offense. She won’t get any stat for it, but it means the others can play defense knowing that they won’t go Kiah’s way. That’s tangible, not just about emotions. But emotions or morale flow from it. If the rest of the team knows they can count on you to allow them to shine, they approach everything differently.

Barbara Turner was absolutely this kind of player too. She could step up and carry a scoring load on occasion, and especially when it really mattered. But that wasn’t her main contribution across an entire season. Kaleena too. She could shoot the lights out, but maybe wasn’t as quick on D as the others. But what she did counted and her team knew they could count on her.

I think of Iowa in these terms. Sure, Caitlin and Czinano carried the scoring load and the stat sheet showed it. But they were able to rely on three glue players to hold everything together and help them get their chances. Martin Warnock and Marshall were the real “law firm” on Iowa. Interesting how few announcers caught in to it. Of the three it’s hard to choose who was most important. But I’m inclined to lean toward Marshall because she had this mischievous unpredictable side to her that would come out on defense. Also worth noting about those three (and especially Marshall): they were very kind to fallen opponents, helping them up, conciliating players who got upset about calls, etc. That speaks to the team culture Lisa Bluder encouraged over there.
Thank you Coach Bone Dog for sharing your perspective as an active coach, and not necessarily as a fan. :cool: You see the game differently than we do.

Reaction Score
Thank you Coach Bone Dog for sharing your perspective as an active coach, and not necessarily as a fan. :cool: You see the game differently than we do.
If only I were a coach. I’m just a lowly masseuse, like Zatoichi, or maybe a dull college professor. But I do try to think like and about coaches.

Reaction Score
I'm not completely sold on "Q" yet as anything more than a complimentary player based on her games I've seen on video...........she clearly is athletic and has a good outside shot but she did not stand out as a wow player unlike some other UConn recruits....... that said, I'll be thrilled if she proves me totally wrong........:)

Geno has alluded to her "confusion" at both ends of the floor. He also said that she doesn't hesitate to shoot, and that she is very good at it. Being a great 3pt shooter and being 6'2 reminded me of KLS. Not to compare the two but KLS's freshman season was mainly spent standing behind the arc, waiting to be left alone and then shooting 3's. If you can hit 3's @ 50%+ Geno will try and hide you on defense for a few minutes at a time. UConn's offense will feature 3pt shooting and Samuels can spell players like Bueckers and Fudd and still have multiple 3pt shooters on the floor. Didn't KLS miss a lot of 3's early in her freshman season?

Geno isn't going to "dumb down" his schemes for the freshmen. He has a veteran core that is way ahead of where the freshmen are today. Luckily it isn't October and these practices and the exhibitions will give them a head start on gaining Geno's trust.

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes starts for the Las Vegas Aces. Her box score numbers will not blow you away. Sometimes she does not score a single point, but they win. Her coach and teammates sing her praises. They know the value she brings to the team when she's on the floor. That value seldom shows up in the box score. The same can be said about Brianna Turner of the Phoenix Mercury.

Sounds like Muhl. And yet Stokes lack of offense kept her off the starting team for 4 years. Might be the same story with Muhl this year.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Muhl. And yet Stokes lack of offense kept her off the starting team for 4 years. Might be the same story with Muhl this year.
I think this is putting it backwards. Kiah found her role and fit into it naturally. Nika's role was delayed by injuries and general turbulence in the lineup until the beginning of last season. Then her role found her. It suited her perfectly. It remains to be seen what shape it takes this season.

You only have to re-watch the Texas and NC St. games to see how perfectly suited she was to running the team. That role fit her like a glove. And when injuries kept disrupting the team and its chemistry, Nika was flexible enough to make various lineups work really well. She was exactly who the team needed for that moment.

Reaction Score
I think this is putting it backwards. Kiah found her role and fit into it naturally. Nika's role was delayed by injuries and general turbulence in the lineup until the beginning of last season. Then her role found her. It suited her perfectly. It remains to be seen what shape it takes this season.

You only have to re-watch the Texas and NC St. games to see how perfectly suited she was to running the team. That role fit her like a glove. And when injuries kept disrupting the team and its chemistry, Nika was flexible enough to make various lineups work really well. She was exactly who the team needed for that moment.
If Stewart had been injured Stokes would have started but she didn't. And from my view it didn't look like the turbulence ended at the start of the season. Juhasz broke her thumb. Fudd injured her knee. Even Muhl was out. Edwards, Senechal and Muhl were pillars of strength in a season of turbulence.
Muhl was slated to be the backup pg last summer. UConn was very fortunate to have her and she proved her worth. She was the only guard on the team with any experience. She'll play a big role in the guard rotation this year but her chronic ankle/foot issue will mean managing her minutes, along with others. Luckily Geno has lots of options.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And yet Stokes lack of offense kept her off the starting team for 4 years. Might be the same story with Muhl this year.
Who did you expect to sit so Kiah could start - Stef Dolson, Breanna Stewart, or Morgan Tuck…?

Kelly Faris started and she averaged 7.2 points in her UConn career, Nika is at 7.1 ppg for her career.

73D6F7C0-41DA-4089-93A3-A0C924AF04B6.jpeg

Reaction Score
Who did you expect to sit so Kiah could start - Stef Dolson, Breanna Stewart, or Morgan Tuck…?

Kelly Faris started and she averaged 7.2 points in her UConn career, Nika is at 7.1 ppg for her career.

View attachment 90651
Thanks for the really interesting dept chart, Nan. It's fascinating how Kiah rose in the ranks in spite of her lack of scoring prowess. That she plays a key role for the Aces all these years later affirms her stature as a basketball player of significant worth.

Interesting comparison, Kelly Faris and Nika Muhl... just a note, Nika is averaging 5.4 for her career. She was 7.1 last season.

Reaction Score

View attachment 90651

Didn't Kiah start her senior year. And was replaced by Tuck after the Stanford game?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Didn't Kiah start her senior year. And was replaced by Tuck after the Stanford game?
Kiah Stokes was the AAC DPOY her senior year. But with the exception of senior day, once when Geno wanted to send a message to Stewie and 2 other times when players were banged up (4 times in all), Kiah came off the bench as UConn’s 6th man.

You are confusing Kiah Stokes with Saniya, who started her sophomore year for 2 games and was replaced by Kia Nurse after the Stanford game.

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes was the AAC DPOY her senior year. But with the exception of senior day, once when Geno wanted to send a message to Stewie and 2 other times when players were banged up (4 times in all), Kiah came off the bench as UConn’s 6th man.

You are confusing Kiah Stokes with Saniya, who started her sophomore year for 2 games and was replaced by Kia Nurse after the Stanford game.

I remember Saniya starting and being replaced by Kia. I also thought Kiah started the first 2 games. My mistake.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks for the really interesting dept chart, Nan. It's fascinating how Kiah rose in the ranks in spite of her lack of scoring prowess. That she plays a key role for the Aces all these years later affirms her stature as a basketball player of significant worth.

Interesting comparison, Kelly Faris and Nika Muhl... just a note, Nika is averaging 5.4 for her career. She was 7.1 last season.
Staying with the Kelly comparison, Kelly averaged 6.2 points through her junior season.

For the stats purists, i calculated total points divided by total games for each year and for the totals

DAEDC8FC-805F-4418-8432-0727AA42A1A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes. UConn began that year on the road with UC Davis and Stanford. Stokes and Chong started those first two games. UConn blew out UC Davis, but lost to Stanford in overtime by 2, despite having a 10-point lead with 6 minutes remaining in regulation. Amber Orrange hit a clutch 3-point basket from the corner in the closing seconds of regulation to send it to overtime. During that 5 hour ride home, Geno had plenty of time for looking down the road and seeing the possibilities of a lineup change.

Even though Chong scored 20 points in that game, she was replaced by freshman Kia Nurse for the remainder of the season. When asked why by the media, Geno said she couldn’t stop her man (Lili Thompson) from scoring who outscored her and finished with 24.
"We didn't just lose to a team that doesn't have any good players," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Sometimes, because of who we are, the biggest story is that we lost, not that Stanford played great and won, and that would be unfortunate. That would be a disservice to Stanford, but that's the reality, that's the world that we're in. ... We lost to a really good team, a better team than people would probably give them credit for."

Stokes was also replaced by Morgan Tuck. Tuck and Nurse remained starters for the rest of that season, and the rest of their careers at UConn. Chong regained her starting status her senior year. Stokes never did, starting only once again on senior night. I had the pleasure of attending these two games. After the win, the Stanford coaches, players, and fans were celebrating as though they had just won the national championship. That was a long walk back to my car. :( Geno's lineup change proved to be a correct one. That was the only loss UConn would suffer that year, running the table and winning the national championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Stokes was an in the paint physical center. She sat behind Dolson because Dolson was better those years. After Dolson left Geno had Stewart, Tuck and Stokes. Stokes was the best rebounder and shot blocker of the 3 and she was by far the strongest inside. It was her lack of offense that kept her from starting.

Who were the alternatives to Faris? Were they 50% from 3 and able to create their own shots?

I appreciate how good Muhl played last season. She would make an excellent starter if either Bueckers or Fudd were unavailable, as she proved for 3 years. But healthy, Bueckers and Fudd are just too good.

Far too much is being made of starting, like it's some badge of honor and central to player's ego satisfaction. UConn will have 9 players who started their entire lives but who will not start for UConn this season. Are they all going to fall into a depressive funk? UConn is going to have a 7 or 8 player core this year. Any of them could start. Are the 2 or 3 who don't start being "stabbed in the back" as one Muhl defender put it? Or is the "team first" slogan just false advertising?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As info, in her career at UConn, Stokes shot .599. That’s pretty good until you consider that almost all of Kiah’s shots were layups. So Kiah missed almost 40% of her layups…:eek:

However, for her career Kiah shot .500 from the arc. She didn’t take a single 3 in her first three years at UConn. But during her senior season, Kiah went crazy, hitting 1 of 2 shots from the arc…..probably to beat the shot clock…;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom